Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

What the **** is a core processor?Follow

#1 Aug 08 2010 at 11:28 PM Rating: Sub-Default
Scholar
*
123 posts
The title is a bit misleading, but there is a bit of concern I have in regards to this game.

It's not the world, the graphics, or the gameplay, all of that looks great.

It's the fact that I log onto this site expecting to read about FFXIV, and instead I come in to discover several new hourly threads about graphic card sales, computer building and benchmark questions. This is not, I repeat NOT the fault of the posters here, everyone has the right to be worried if their computer can run this game, and deservingly so, because it's going to be ******* awesome. It's the disbelief I have that nobody has contended, complained, or cried about the ridiculous amount of stress and cash that is borderline required to play this game.

Raise your e-hand if you want to play this game, but have no foreseeable time-table to play because you can't run it.

Growing up with a computer my entire life I know how to navigate the web, check my mail, and complete school projects, the only things a casual computer user should have to know. I shouldn't have to be researching new parts, or new computers entirely. The threads involving benchmark scores are virtually in another language to me, and I would assume a good amount of people feel the same way. I am amazed that SE thinks they can try and compete with other companies when the game can only be run by 50% of the people that want it.

Now let's get this part out of the way quick, I have a 15", 2009 MacBook Pro. I KNOW MACS AREN'T MEANT FOR GAMING. There is this notion that everyone who wants to play FFXIV has the hardware to run the game. I got this Mac for school, because the University I attend sells them at a huge discount, not to mention it is much more practical for me in just about every aspect of life, not Eorzea. I had no intention of buying a gaming computer because aside from FFXIV, I don't play video games too often (unless it is a casual multiplayer game like NHL or FIFA). Should I, along with thousands of other people, be penalized because we can't fork over thousands of dollars for a new "rig" to play a game on mediocre settings? My friend using bootcamp on the exact same computer I have scored just over 1000 on the benchmark, or in other words, unplayable. Now of course the benchmark isn't 100% accurate, but no matter how it's sliced my computer won't be able to run it on the lowest of low settings. My computer can run every other game out there, including SC2, on understandable settings. I can only imagine what scores the 2008 MBP owners are getting (shame on them for going to university a year earlier!). Nonetheless, I'll stop talking about the benchmark because that's not what this thread is about, it's not about just me.

I know I am fighting an uphill battle here, because most of the people that post and read on allakhazam are hardcore FFXIV fans, aka the ones that are willing to fork over the money. I too am a hardcore FFXIV fan, and the first thing I did after E3 2009 was go on this site to read and speculate. The rest was history, until June 15th, when this became an electronics forum. The video game store is going to be congested as **** when hundreds of people are returning the game because they tried to run it and it wouldn't even load. Not everyone knows what a benchmark is, and quite frankly they shouldn't have to, to play a game that has been in the works for over half a decade.

I would like nothing more then to lean back in a chair, turn off the lights and play FFXIV for hours on September 30th. Unfortunately for me and others, September 30th of 2011 is looking like a long shot as well, and it saddens me to see a forum so full of angst and curiosity 10 months ago turn into a computer parts forum.

Fin.
#2 Aug 08 2010 at 11:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
72 posts
Complaining always helps
#3 Aug 08 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Good
*
137 posts
Quote:
I shouldn't have to be researching new parts, or new computers entirely.


Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power. ;)
#4 Aug 08 2010 at 11:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
93 posts
Should you be punished? No you shouldn't. Are you being punished? Most likely not. I am sure these were all things that were thought of before the game even started getting a lot of its design. I can see SE sitting around asking each other what would indeed be the preferred target range of users and computers to build the game within its limitations.

You mentioned you bought your computer because of the discounts and primarily for school so I wouldn't be too upset that you may need to upgrade your computer or wait for maybe ps3 launch if you have one to play. It is a cycle for computers where eventually you hit a wall and need to either upgrade or by a new PC. It could have happened with you not being able to run SC2. But you were fortunate enough to not need to upgrade your PC to run it. Unfortunately it was with XIV where you ran into this problem. Such is life and it will most likely keep going on.

Yes their are a lot of questions regarding PC's in the forums but it seems that is a major concern for other people, including yourself. Could it be in a different forum? Possibly but it is what it is and if that is what you have to worry about than life is indeed good for you my friend ~.^

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 12:50am by Zeios
____________________________
Zeios
"To each his own"
#5insanekangaroo, Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 11:47 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This is all caused by SE delaying the PS3 version. Big mistake.
#6 Aug 08 2010 at 11:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
Complaining always helps


So typical, it's like writing "basketball sucks" in a basketball forum. The regulars there would be baffled that everyone in the world doesn't like their sport, while there are people that feel otherwise.

Obviously complaining about this would accomplish nothing on a website like this, I am looking to discuss.
#7 Aug 08 2010 at 11:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
Well put by zeios, it would've happened with people trying to play some other new game sooner or later. Most likely sooner...

There is a plus side to all that research though. I've done so much of it the past month, I now will never get ripped off buying a prebuilt pc or when upgrading. Even if I'm not entirely sure about a part, I know where to look to find out the needed info. Suddenly I can build my own pc and in turn, help friends do the same. I've gotten a free crash course in pc building & access to a library of knowledge. Which is pretty **** cool...

EDIT
Lol...I actually did that in the basketball section of YahooAnswers after the big "lebron" nonsense. Told them their sport was a joke...that went over really well...

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 1:59am by TwistedOwl
#8 Aug 08 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
93 posts
I have discussed still trying to figure out where your going with this other than my PC can't run this. Why did you not tailor XIV to me SE? Why are people posting computer stuff in the forum that have nothing really to do with the game itself?

My argument. What does this have to do with the game itself?
____________________________
Zeios
"To each his own"
#9 Aug 09 2010 at 12:04 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Sloannn wrote:
a casual computer user
Sloannn wrote:
complaining about new FF MMORPG
¬_¬
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#10 Aug 09 2010 at 12:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Gotta love the irony.

In this thread: ******* about FFXIV's demanding system requirements.

At the time of this posting, the thread ten below this one on the main page: ******* about how bad FFXI's graphics look 8 years after release.

Can't have it both ways people.
____________________________
#11 Aug 09 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The thing about PC games is that unlike console games, you CAN'T return them. Once you buy it, it's YOURS, whether it works or not.

I can't say I blame people for wanting to make SURE that they have a system that WILL run the game on reasonable settings on release date, rather than a plug-and-pray system that scores 500-1500 and they're banking on the fact that "Oh, the benchmark is just wrong, I'll be fine."

Come September 22nd, these forums are going to get flooded with "My system scored 800 on the benchmark and you all told me it wouldn't work, and I know I said you were all full of **** and had no clue what you were talking about, but it isn't running and I have no idea why! Gamestop/Amazon/Walmart won't take the game back because they don't take returns on software! SE sucks and you have to tell me how to make the game run on my system!"

Like it or not (and many people fall into the not category), FFXIV is aiming to be the second coming of Crysis; a game with obscenely high graphics that people will be using three years from now as a frame of reference to how well their system runs games.

I won't deny that the split system release was probably bad, but we work with what we're given. You're right, your macbook will almost certainly not run it. You can do two things about this:

You can complain that it probably won't run and hope for a longshot that it will, and likely be disappointed, or

You can invest in a system that you can -know- will run it.

And that's TOTALLY your choice.

But, as you said, coming here and complaining about this is indeed like going to a basketball forum and complaining about basketball. I don't like basketball either, but I'm not going to go to a forum full of people that do and tell them they're all idiots. My opinion will not be taken well.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Aug 09 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
akirussan wrote:
Gotta love the irony.

In this thread: ******* about FFXIV's demanding system requirements.

At the time of this posting, the thread ten below this one on the main page: ******* about how bad FFXI's graphics look 8 years after release.

Can't have it both ways people.


I didn't even catch that. That's just priceless.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#13 Aug 09 2010 at 12:22 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
123 posts
Quote:
I have discussed still trying to figure out where your going with this other than my PC can't run this. Why did you not tailor XIV to me SE? Why are people posting computer stuff in the forum that have nothing really to do with the game itself?

My argument. What does this have to do with the game itself?


You're correct, it is a bit hypocritical for me post on something I want away with.

You are still not seeing the bigger picture in regards to "me". This site is not majority. Even with the thousands of new posters in the beta giveaway there are probably only a few hundred regular posters vying for that spot. Let's be generous and say there are 1,000 people that post on this site and want FFXIV. Including sites like Eorzeapedia, FFXIVcore and Bluegartr, there are probably 100,000 people who want the game, with most of them preordering. Then you have the other half of the preorders, people who can google "FFXIV release date" and find it quite easily. If I didn't read any of these sites I would be in that group, buying a game without being able to fathom that my measly 2009 computer couldn't run it. Lastly you have majority, the casual fan who will see a commercial, learn from word of mouth, or see FFXIV in a game store and buy it because it looks cool. I'd be surprised to 25% of those folks could run the game without upgrading. Then you have the people who are willing to pay the money to play, and other who realize how ridiculous it is.
#14 Aug 09 2010 at 12:22 AM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
Life isn't perfect, the world isn't fair. I've heard it all before. If you want something you shouldn't have to worry about or possibly spend some time researching don't play pc games. There are plenty of consoles and games to fill up many hours. Sorry if the truth hurts and I'm hoping you at least decide to play the ps3 version when it is released.
#15 Aug 09 2010 at 12:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Would I like to drive a Ferrari? Yes
Can I afford to? No

The same applies here. If you can't afford to buy or upgrade your computer to the point where this game is playable, then wait for the PS3 release, or don't play at all.
Myself and many others don't want the quality of this game reduced to the point where any poor college student or 12 year old WoW kiddie can afford to play.

The minimum requirements will most likely be on the back of the box. If people are unwilling to read them, or are unable to understand them, that's their fault, not SE's. Kinda like how I don't buy a book on astrophysics and expect to understand what is being written.
#16 Aug 09 2010 at 12:32 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Would I like to drive a Ferrari? Yes
Can I afford to? No

The same applies here. If you can't afford to buy or upgrade your computer to the point where this game is playable, then wait for the PS3 release, or don't play at all.
Myself and many others don't want the quality of this game reduced to the point where any poor college student or 12 year old WoW kiddie can afford to play.

The minimum requirements will most likely be on the back of the box. If people are unwilling to read them, or are unable to understand them, that's their fault, not SE's. Kinda like how I don't buy a book on astrophysics and expect to understand what is being written.


I can't rate you up enough for this.

If people ignore what is printed on the box before buying and opening it, or decide to install it despite not meeting it, that's their problem.

I bought GTA 4 for my PC before I upgraded it. It said it required a core 2 duo and I had a P4 but I bought it anyway. Guess what? 2 FPS. With EVERYTHING turned down. And no, I couldn't return it, so I was stuck with a $50 game because I thought I knew better than the box.

I've since upgraded, obviously, and can play it on my system just fine now. But yeah, if people don't read or choose to ignore the benchmark and the box, then I don't know what to say to them.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Aug 09 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,811 posts
Sloannn wrote:
Quote:
I have discussed still trying to figure out where your going with this other than my PC can't run this. Why did you not tailor XIV to me SE? Why are people posting computer stuff in the forum that have nothing really to do with the game itself?

My argument. What does this have to do with the game itself?


You're correct, it is a bit hypocritical for me post on something I want away with.

You are still not seeing the bigger picture in regards to "me". This site is not majority. Even with the thousands of new posters in the beta giveaway there are probably only a few hundred regular posters vying for that spot. Let's be generous and say there are 1,000 people that post on this site and want FFXIV. Including sites like Eorzeapedia, FFXIVcore and Bluegartr, there are probably 100,000 people who want the game, with most of them preordering. Then you have the other half of the preorders, people who can google "FFXIV release date" and find it quite easily. If I didn't read any of these sites I would be in that group, buying a game without being able to fathom that my measly 2009 computer couldn't run it. Lastly you have majority, the casual fan who will see a commercial, learn from word of mouth, or see FFXIV in a game store and buy it because it looks cool. I'd be surprised to 25% of those folks could run the game without upgrading. Then you have the people who are willing to pay the money to play, and other who realize how ridiculous it is.


Screenshot


Sorry, I had to...

Complain however much you want but it changes nothing. We live in an age where technology one up's it self practically every other day (ok, maybe not every other day). Final Fantasy XIV is a brand new game looking to last for several years to come. Most people with a computer won't play this game. The ones that do will need to meet the minimum system requirements. If they don't they will need to make some upgrades. This is nothing new. Games have been requiring you to meet certain standard in order to play them properly for many years now. Your complaints are nothing new nor is SE trying to ***** over "you," the average computer user.

____________________________

Quote:
The Path to **** is paved with good intentions.
#18 Aug 09 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,159 posts
Sloannn wrote:
So typical, it's like writing "basketball sucks" in a basketball forum. The regulars there would be baffled that everyone in the world doesn't like their sport, while there are people that feel otherwise.

Obviously complaining about this would accomplish nothing on a website like this, I am looking to discuss.


Why on earth would you go on a basketball forum and say basketball sucks? If it really sucks why would you go out of your way to voice an opinion that obviously has 0 support from your audience. You're not trying to "discuss" anything but draw attention to yourself, and that's what we call a troll.

Fact is your opinion has absolutely no worth when you present it in the way that you have. Goodbye.
#19 Aug 09 2010 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
To the OP-
Since when are new games supposed to run on computers that use parts from 2000? Macbooks, no less? SE isn't A-B, they increase the quality of their product over time...not lower it. If you really want to play, here's a few solutions.
1. Wait for the PS3 version. Remember to buy a PS3.
2.Buy a PC. No amount of upgrades will save your laptop. Check out ibuypower.com for some decent gaming pcs in the 600-800 dollar range.
3. Stick to games designed to run on systems from a decade ago. You know, like SC2 and WoW.
4. Buy the PC version...for your MACBOOK (...hello?!), and when it fails to work, trade the game to me for a pizza.
#20 Aug 09 2010 at 2:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
The minimum requirements will most likely be on the back of the box. If people are unwilling to read them, or are unable to understand them, that's their fault, not SE's. Kinda like how I don't buy a book on astrophysics and expect to understand what is being written.


Nuff said. I remember some years ago, we had a very, very angry mother posting on Alla who complained that SE had tricked her into believing that you don't need an internet connection to play a MMORPG.

Priceless.
#21 Aug 09 2010 at 3:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Quote:
Growing up with a computer my entire life I know how to navigate the web, check my mail, and complete school projects, the only things a casual computer user should have to know.

Wrong. This is like a car owner saying "all I know how to do is gas it up and drive it around, and that's all I should need to know". It's the absolute bare minimum of owning a computer. If that's all you know how to do, fine; but don't be surprised when something goes wrong and you're getting reamed because you don't know how to do anything yourself. At least if something goes wrong with your car, you can take it to a mechanic. If your computer becomes outdated - which all computers do, and which is the root of your massive whining - then you're stuck buying an entirely new computer because you never bothered accruing the minimum of knowledge that would enable you to simply upgrade what you've already got.

You aren't being penalized. This game is not being designed to run on the lowest common denominator, and that's fine; that's how we make progress in graphics and gameplay, by not catering to people with old or underpowered rigs. If you don't like it, you have your options: upgrade or don't play. But for the love of god, quit complaining about how unfair it is that you don't know the first thing about computers and therefore, shock!, are at a disadvantage when something computer-intensive comes around. As a university age student myself, it amazes me that there are still people in my generation who don't know more than the absolute basics.
#22 Aug 09 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Nuff said. I remember some years ago, we had a very, very angry mother posting on Alla who complained that SE had tricked her into believing that you don't need an internet connection to play a MMORPG.

Priceless.


Awesome, ya know the more I think about it....it's tempting to just watch the forum madness in september rather than playing....no way I could do that...but there's bound to be some interesting threads.
#23 Aug 09 2010 at 3:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Yeah, it will be hilarious to see all the ex-WOW players wondering why their 250 dollar PCs can't handle FFXIV...or even better, why their iPhones/iPads can't. Though I won't be able to look away from FFXIV for at least 2 weeks, so I'll miss all the forums hilarity.
#24 Aug 09 2010 at 3:47 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Are these forums really going to keep all that stupid WoW elitism that the FFXI boards had? I know there's a fair share of stereotypes about them, and I used to share in them, but honestly, if you read the WoW forums here, you'll see that the community is just as knowledgeable and far less hostile than the FFXI forums. Everyone likes to claim that WoW is just full of stupid kiddie gamers, but it's proportionately identical to FFXI's - it's just easier to retain anonymity in WoW. If FFXIV had a system that encouraged making multiple characters, you'd find those superiority complexes disappearing awfully fast. I know not everyone takes part in this, but it's still widespread enough to be extremely annoying.
#25 Aug 09 2010 at 4:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Sorry, M. I merely used WOW as an example because the game has the lowest graphical and processor requirements of any well-known subscription-based MMORPG....even lower than EQ's. It was not a jab at the players, but the game's specifications ^^;
That's not to say that the average WOW player wouldn't expect their PC to run every single MMO until proven otherwise, of course. I've actually seen many WOW players freak out on forums when their PC couldn't even run LOTRO on medium without dropping to single digit FPS.
Oh, and in repsonse to the part about the playerbases being similar..its way off. SE has a strict "if a player breaks the rules, we ban them" policy. This policy has led to banning a number of accounts over the lifetime of the game nearly equal to the current playerbase. Needless to say, with all the "bad" people banned, the overall community of FFXI has become better than a community in which one can cheat and get away with it.
Back on topic though, whatever that may be, it's not about WOW.

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 5:09am by Uryuu
#26 Aug 09 2010 at 4:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
It's nothing directed at you in particular, your post just reminded me that I'd been meaning to bring it up, and since this thread has been useless since its inception, this seemed like as good a place as any.

Quote:
Oh, and in repsonse to the part about the playerbases being similar..its way off. SE has a strict "if a player breaks the rules, we ban them" policy. This policy has led to banning a number of accounts over the lifetime of the game nearly equal to the current playerbase. Needless to say, with all the "bad" people banned, the overall community of FFXI has become better than a community in which one can cheat and get away with it.

If you mean hacking, WoW has an identical policy, which is way more effective than FFXI's has been, unless all the "claim botting" threads have been died out in FFXI main (it's possible, I don't post there anymore). If you mean things like breaking the ToS, such as through swearing or just generally being a ****, that bit's completely wrong. I've never once seen SE ban someone on those grounds unless they go to ridiculous extremes (i.e., following someone around constantly to grief them). Blizzard never does, either, because it's a very extreme measure to ban someone on those grounds - unless they're plainly doing things that might cause other players to quit, it would be a foolish move to ban them because you're directly decreasing revenue. I'd also be willing to bet that 95% of SE's banned accounts are RMT - well, maybe 90% after they've started accidentally banning legitimate customers when they mess up billing.

To claim that people can cheat in WoW and get away with it, however, is flatly wrong. The one program that used to be used to cheat in WoW was called Glider, and it's been almost completely inoperative for five years because Blizzard added code to the game launcher to check whether Glider was running and flag that person's account for GM action. No others have come up to take its place. The only possible cheats now are similar to POS hacking, which still happens in FFXI, and will probably be stomped out as soon as Blizzard comes up with algorithms to automatically identify it - assuming it's even enough of a problem to do it, since only RMT use it and their anti-RMT taskforce is already quite strong.

Honestly, I played both games for years, and the playerbases are identical, it's just the situations they've been forced into are different. WoW players have an advantage towards being ****** in that there's so many people per server that they don't suffer from a poor reputation unless they go really extreme on someone in a public place. FFXI players have an advantage that because everything takes a long time to get done, you can be a major ***hole to someone who's wasting your time and no one will blame you. The people, however, are all the same. I'd actually hazard a guess that FFXI players are likely to be less technically competent, because so many of them play on PS2 and don't even need to know anything about computers to play. In all likelihood that's not true either, though. There's too many factors in play to make any sort of sweeping generalization in that way.

Tl;dr: Identical playerbases, different situations, people will remain ignorant about their PCs regardless of what they play, and the FFXI forums here are full of ***** for unexplored reasons that don't relate to the game they play.
#27 Aug 09 2010 at 5:13 AM Rating: Good
**
331 posts
OP you sound surprised that your macbook isn't powerful enough.....why?
We were told a long time ago that we would need a pretty good PC to run the game.
Personally, I wasn't too keen on getting a new PC just to play, but as I had enough warning, I've been saving some cash every month, doing a bit of overtime here and there and will be ordering a new PC at the start of september.
If you can't afford a new PC, wait 'til march and buy a PS3. They're not that expensive and you have 6 months to get some cash together.
#28 Aug 09 2010 at 5:46 AM Rating: Good
15 posts
The thing that bothers me most about these threads (I say threads because I've seen almost identical posts on several forums) isn't the complaining (I can understand that people are upset they have to wait to play/ not play at all) it's this notion that it's so impossible to be able to run this.
I don't know why people think it costs "thousands" of dollars to build a decent PC - you could easily meet the minimum requirements for FFXIV for a few hundred dollars, or be able to play it at PS3 level graphics for $400-600. Even if you bought a prebuilt computer you can easily spend less than a thousand dollars, yet I always see this "thousands" number thrown around. If you already have a computer from the last few years, chances are it could be upgraded rather cheaply.
Also, it's really not hard to learn about computer specs/etc., and it doesn't hurt to know a little bit about something you use every day.
#29 Aug 09 2010 at 6:02 AM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
I'll tell you what, I'll give you a choice:

Macs hold their resale value pretty well. you can probably get at least a grand out of your shiny macbook on E-bay [or so I've heard] Sell it, use that cash to buy [or have built from an online site such as ibuypower] a budget machine that will fill your basic needs [ffxiv]. If a notebook is essential to your computing needs, I recommend and Asus G73JH. Slightly stripped down versions of this notebook are even sold at some Best Buys.

Do not proceed to Dell, HP, or any other seller of pre-fab computers if a desktop is a possibility. You'll be throwing away your cash on computers with parts typically bought at closeout auction. These machines will be sub-standard for at least one of your needs [ffxiv]

Here's the basic rundown of everything you'd need to know:

Processor: 4 or more cores to open. The more cores, the better. Intel core i5 or i7 [suggest 2.2Ghz or faster] AMD, anything X4 or x6. 4 gig of ram minimum [most machines come standard with this anyway] a QUALITY 500+ watt Power supply [you'll need this for your graphics card]

Graphics card, an ati 5770 or better [someone please translate that into Nvidia, their designations give me a headache] Preferably an ATi 5830 or Nvidia GTX 460 for moderate graphics performance.

Antivirus: Avast!. it's free, it's good. It doesn't bog down your machine that badly
anti-spyware: Spybot Search and Destroy, coupled with windows defender.

If you feel you shouldn't "have to worry" about parts, or benchmarks, you really don't. Nobody is forcing you to want to play this game. Complaining to US because SE decided to future proof their game is somewhat irrelevant though. You may not like it, but it is what it is. You can plan and overcome, or you can go back from whence ye came. Complaining never moved anyone closer to their goals, however [and if it did I'd sure like to know so I can duplicate it]

I have tried very hard to censor any anti-mac fanboy sentiments out of this post. I apologize if I missed any, I tried very hard to stay as diplomatic as possible.

[edit 1, edited out additional anti-mac fanboy comment. .missed one, sorry]












Edited, Aug 9th 2010 8:03am by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#30 Aug 09 2010 at 6:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Maj, I already said that this thread isn't about FFXI Vs WOW, and in fact, trying to say WOW has a better anything than FFXI on a FFXIV forum will likely get you nowhere, even if they do (pvp for instance, even I will admit, is better.) This thread is (apparently) about ways to deal with the OP's problem of having a nigh-useless laptop in terms of highres gaming.
I still think they should just trade me their copy for a pizza. It can even be from Pizza Hut =p

Edited, Aug 9th 2010 7:13am by Uryuu
#31 Aug 09 2010 at 6:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Maj, I already said that this thread isn't about FFXI Vs WOW, and in fact, trying to say WOW has a better anything than FFXI on a FFXIV forum will likely get you nowhere, even if they do (pvp for instance, even I will admit, is better.) This thread is (apparently) about ways to deal with the OP's problem of having a nigh-useless laptop in terms of highres gaming.

I'm not trying to make it about FFXI vs WoW, I'm just trying to discuss this forum's attitude towards WoW, which is different. Besides, this thread's original topic was incredibly stupid and we'd all be better off not going back there.
#32 Aug 09 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Here's the thing: we've known for a VERY long time that we would have to at the very least match the system specs of a PS3 at a minimum. Very few, if any laptops will have a video card capable of exceeding a PS3. I have a 2009 MBP. I've known I would need to have a different computer for gaming. I've got a list of parts I'm about to buy to pretty much replace my current desktop. They're expensive, it sucks. But if something's important enough for you to spend the time to budget things out and plan, then you'll eventually get what you want. I'm a grad student, my MBP is what I use for my dissertation research as it really is built well for what I need to do. But I've saved up for awhile so I can start playing on release day.

So quit the whining. If the release were important for you you'd work for it. Nothing worth doing is easy.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#33 Aug 09 2010 at 7:07 AM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
Quote:
Myself and many others don't want the quality of this game reduced to the point where any poor college student or 12 year old WoW kiddie can afford to play.


Meh, the largest problem I have with the OP's "complaint" is that it doesn't take a brand new machine to make it playable. A machine over a year and a half old can currently play at acceptable levels.

I said this in another thread but I'm glad SE is pushing ahead, why shouldn't we take advantage of the computing power we've had for well over a year now?
#34 Aug 09 2010 at 8:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
With all the videos of people playing the beta on core2duos or athlon x3s with a 9800gt,5770, or even 8800gt; you'd think all this would be over by now. You don't need a super computer to run this game.

____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#35 Aug 09 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
OK I got sub-defaulted by stating that it was a mistake to postpone the PS3 release...?

WTF?
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#36 Aug 09 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I actually kinda agree with OP, and I know I'm gonna get thumbs-downed or whatever into oblivion just for this post, but MAN.

My computer should be able to run it just fine on settings that I'd be absolutely fine with playing the game on, but just about everyone here seems to be head-over-heels obsessed with running it like at 60fps on a 50-inch tv screen or something. I was really confident and wanted to come here just to talk about the game and meet people, too, but a heck of a lot of the talking is just about how you might as well not even play unless you have stuff that you wouldn't *need* whatsoever unless you want to play on 1080p with maxed out everything on a truly massive resolution. Is there no one that likes smaller monitors because the bigger ones hurt their eyes to sit so close to, and really don't need anything that extreme? I dunno, I'll never get it, lol.
#37 Aug 09 2010 at 1:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
OK I got sub-defaulted by stating that it was a mistake to postpone the PS3 release...?

WTF?

Probably because what you said made no sense whatsoever and seemed like a blatant troll attempt? If it was a joke, it was an incredibly bad one.

Rellias wrote:
My computer should be able to run it just fine on settings that I'd be absolutely fine with playing the game on, but just about everyone here seems to be head-over-heels obsessed with running it like at 60fps on a 50-inch tv screen or something.

This also doesn't make any sense. Are you saying you'd play it with the graphics from FFXI if you could? That's fine, but there's no way in **** that SE could sink that much development time into catering to users with lower-end systems. As I said earlier: if we kept making games that could run on old systems, we'd keep playing the same games, because nothing would look any different. If we make it so it'll run on old and new, we waste an awful lot of development time adding options for people with worse computers, and the game takes up a ton more hard drive space just because some people are still clinging to their outdated rigs. If you don't have a computer that can run it, get one; if you can't afford to get one, buy it on PS3; if you can't afford a PS3, don't play it. That's the exact boat I'm in - there's no way I could take money away from my schooling to buy a PC/PS3 to run this on. That's the price of progress: unequal access. It sucks if you happen to be at the lower end, but if we kept catering to the lower end we'd still be playing 8-bit games.
#38 Aug 09 2010 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
*
137 posts
Quote:
You don't need a super computer to run this game.


This.

The minimum requirements have already been stated many times before in several PC help threads. For the most part, all you need for this game to function is a decent duo core processor and a 9600 GT or higher. Last time I checked, those are not very expensive at all.

It just seems that when people read forum posts, they see those people who are looking to make a beast PC worth thousands of dollars and think "I shouldn't have to get that to play this game!" They forget that you don't have to, it's just what people aim for.

A lot of new games require high-end graphics cards to run on full settings - why should FFXIV be different?
#39 Aug 09 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
The minimum requirements have already been stated many times before in several PC help threads. For the most part, all you need for this game to function is a decent duo core processor and a 9600 GT or higher. Last time I checked, those are not very expensive at all.


yes, but nobody seems to want the "minimum". Everyone wants the proverbial

Quote:
just about everyone here seems to be head-over-heels obsessed with running it like at 60fps on a 50-inch tv screen or something.


Which is kind of a misnomer, as we know that it is intended for FFXIV to be locked at 30 FPS, and once you hit 1080 resolution [1920 x 1080] it doesn't matter to the GFX card if it's rendering on a 24" screen or a 60" screen. 1920 x 1080 is 1920 x 1080 regardless of the screen size.

But I digress.

There are a couple of things at work here. 1) there is a general trend of people moving from desktop PCs to notebooks. Notebooks are finally STARTING to become powerful enough to replace most desktops for general use. This, combined with a surge in "casual gaming" [think Mafia wars, farmville, and popcap's stuff] has a lot of people sitting on their older but still very servicable hardware feeling that they're doing alright.

So at a time when most developers are either scaling back or working on capitalizing on the less system intensive "casual gaming" apps, here comes SE with an absolutely BEAUTIFUL piece of software. Here are a lot of gamers that have been lulled into a false sense of security by a shifting market that suddenly find their machines behind the performance curve

Hillarity ensues.

Now all of a sudden everyone's scrambling to get their systems ready for this intensive game. . but who wants to dump hundreds of dollars just to get their system to "bare minimum" spec? Most people figure "if I'm gonna dump money into this system, I may as well do it right so I can get the maximum gain for my money". Hence the huge ammount of "is my computer good enough" or "what can i do to raise my benchmark" posts. Yes, they get tiresome after awhile, but you can't blame people for wanting to get the best bang for their buck. Yes, there is a place for these posts and it is not in the General forum, but I digress.

Unfortunately, what tends to get lost in all this "bang for buck" discussion is "good enough".

"$200 on a new graphics card should = max performance, right? no??? Holy cow, they way overstated the specs for this game. . i have to spend $500 to get a gfx card capable of max settings. . this is STUPID!!! I JUST PAID $2000 FOR THIS NOTEBOOK AND IT WON'T EVEN RUN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *ZOMG*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And so on, and so on, until a reasonable discussion about performance turns into full force panic mongering about system specs, etc.

The only thing I can tell you is, wait it out. This will all subside after launch, as we find out finally how any given system reacts to this as-yet-unfinished product. THEN, if your system won't run it, at least those of us who are technologically literate can have a basis by which to advise what upgrades are the best "bang for the buck" and what will ACTUALLY deliver "max" performance.



____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#40 Aug 09 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
seneleron wrote:
who wants to dump hundreds of dollars just to get their system to "bare minimum" spec? Most people figure "if I'm gonna dump money into this system, I may as well do it right so I can get the maximum gain for my money". Hence the huge ammount of "is my computer good enough" or "what can i do to raise my benchmark" posts.


Yep. I'm here.

Does it suck to have to spend a bunch of money to play this game? Yep.

Would it suck more if they released a new game with obsolete graphics? Yep.

Have these forums helped a lot of people find the best performance for the amount of money they can afford to spend? For sure!

It is too bad if you can't afford to buy a gaming PC. It really is. However, if you can, start saving up a bit here and there. I've given up buying goodies and going to the pub for the next month in order to pay for a new gaming rig. I'm lucky I have some disposable cash that is easy to reallocate. I know not everyone does. But if playing this game is important to you - you may have to save some pennies to play. It sucks if you don't have enough pennies by the release date - but people here would be more than happy to help you put those pennies to work in the best possible way.

I know I've saved several hundred dollars by buying the parts for my new rig instead of buying it in the box- I will assemble the parts myself when they arrive in the next week or so. I'm nervous about this but excited as well.

Best part of all is that I've learned a lot while doing it. I already feel more confident on the tech side of computing...

#41 Aug 09 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
So, some people are upset at the high requirements for this game because they don't want to play at just the low requirements "making" them purchase "high end" cards to play at medium settings.

Instead, think of it this way. If SE had lower requirements you would want the same thing, to play at a decent setting. Well, the way it is right now the lowest setting would be medium setting for a lower quality game...so, you shouldn't be complaining, you got what you wanted anyway and you didn't even know it.
#42 Aug 09 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
OK I got sub-defaulted by stating that it was a mistake to postpone the PS3 release...?

WTF?


Probably because there isn't a mistake.
____________________________

#43 Aug 09 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
I like the way Miss Theo thinks. The only mistake SE made as of yet was sinking dev time into the cancelled 360 version.
#44 Aug 09 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Rellias wrote:
Is there no one that likes smaller monitors because the bigger ones hurt their eyes to sit so close to, and really don't need anything that extreme? I dunno, I'll never get it, lol.


Just did some rearranging of my furniture the past few days and now I'm typing in front of a 32" LCD...which is so totally unnecessary it's frickin' beautiful.... hooray overkill!
#45 Aug 09 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Excellent
*
108 posts
If you are a "casual" computer user, you are not the target audience for the PC version of FFXIV or any other new PC game. You are part of the growing console gaming market, which is growing precisely because people no longer want to (or know how to) upgrade their computers. For many people, using a console is a much more enjoyable, hassle-free way to play video games; they just have to know that they are restricted from any new games that happen to be PC exclusive, as rare as that is. I can only suggest you play the PS3 version when it comes out, or become a computer enthusiast. I know those aren't really great options. Sorry.

Really, if you don't understand what the specifications on the back of the box mean, you shouldn't be complaining that your computer doesn't meet them. If computers aren't your thing, neither is PC gaming. Like most hobbies, it requires some specialist knowledge and a bit of effort.

See you in March (hopefully).
#46 Aug 09 2010 at 10:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
To be honest I find it laughable that someone can complain about this. All of this information can be learned off the internet. I didn't know anything about computer hardware a month ago, but I researched a little and now I am going to be building my first PC. Continue to be ignorant if you want, but don't cry that SE is somehow evil for making the requirements high.
____________________________


#47 Aug 09 2010 at 10:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
749 posts
Quote:
If you are a "casual" computer user, you are not the target audience for the PC version of FFXIV or any other new PC game.


Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't many of the developer interviews talk about adding guildleves and the ability to level via crafting as ways to appeal to more "casual" gamers?
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#48 Aug 09 2010 at 11:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Casual in terms of gameplay time, though, not computer knowledge. You still have to know what the specs on the box mean and whether or not your rig can run it. In 3 or 4 years, the casual computer users will probably have appropriate rigs anyway as their old ones die out due to misuse/abuse.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)