I've been using the FFXIV benchmark to test some hardware & software upgrades. I've recorded all of those results and am summarizing them below.
Before the results, a few things about my process: I tested each setting and test resolution a total of three times to weed out any anomalies or bogus results. The average of these results are what I am posting below.
Throughout all tests, the following specs stay constant on my PC:
Q6600 Core2 Quad ~ over-clocked to 3.3GHz
Abit IP35Pro Mobo
Zalman 9700 CPU cooler
G.Skill RAM ~ 8 Gig
PCPower 610W PSU
The variables in my test were:
1) Vista 64bit Ultimate vs Windows 7 64bit Professional (note: I didn't test vista 64 on the SSD as I didn't see the need for it, based on my other results - I know, bad science).
2) EVGA 8800GTX vs EVGA 460GTX (1Gig Ram) stock setting vs EVGA 460GTX (1Gig Ram) over-clocked to 825Mhz.
3) Seagate 180gig 7200rpm HDD (SATA) vs Kingston 64Gig SSD (SATA II)
Now for the results (first number is score, second is Load Time. "Low" refers to the low res test, "High" refers to the high res test):
Vista 64, Seagate 7200, 8800GTX:
Low: 2678, 11664
High: 1061, 16689
Vista 64, Seagate 7200, 460GTX (stock):
Low: 4160, 14453
High: 1412, 14765
Vista 64, Seagate 7200, 460GTX (OCed):
Low: 4548, 12437
High: 1598, 14678
W7, Seagate 7200, 8800GTX:
Low: 3319, 12481
High: 1866, 11432
W7, Seagate 7200, 460GTX (stock):
Low: 3978, 12124
High: 2337, 12089
W7. Seagate 7200, 460GTX (OCed):
Low: 4355, 12098
High: 2786, 12088
W7, SSD, 8800GTX:
Low: 3150, 11291
High: 1796, 11444
W7, SSD, 460GTX (stock):
Low: 3928, 13019
High: 2288, 12668
W7, SSD, 460GTX (OCed):
Low: 4245, 12184
High: 2724, 12230
My Best Low Score: 4548 (Vista64bit, Seagate 7200, 460GTX OCed)
My Best High Score: 2786 (W7, Seagate 7200, 460GTX OCed)
My Best Low Load Time: 11291 (W7, SSD, 8800GTX)
My Best High Load Time: 11432 (W7, Seagate 7200, 8800GTX)
1) There was a very expected increase in results from the 8800GTX to the 460GTX to the 460GTX OC'ed.
My low score went from a 2678 to a 4548 (Vista, Seagate, 460 OC'ed), a 69% increase.
The high score went from a 1061 to a 2786 (W7, Seagate, 460GTX OCed),163% increase!
2) Windows 7 didn't contribute much to the low results, and in fact, the low results were generally better on Vista64. However W7 had a substantial impact on the high scores. Just implementing W7 on my Seagate, 8800GTX, I saw an increase of 76%.
3) At least on my set-up, I received higher scores on the Seagate than I did on the Kingston 64Gig SSD.
1) Just looking over the results, load times stayed roughly the same. There may be a decrease in the overall average load times with the SSD, but nothing drastic. I assume this is due to my older setup.
I was able to push my 460GTX a bit further to 850MHz. (the tests above were done at 825MHz OCed). My card wouldn't maintain a stable 875MHz. I've only been using the EVGA Precision tools, and the stock card cooler, so with better cooling and a different app, I could perhaps get a few more MHz out of the card.
My average results for this final 850MHz OC push were:
Low: 4393, 12176 (my highest score of 4548 was on Vista64, Seagate, 460GTX OCed)
High: 3011, 12360 (This is another 8% over highest score of the 825MHz OC, a total of 171% increase from where I started).
I have screenshots of all of my tests. Let me know if you had any questions! Hope this is helpful to someone out there.