Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

GTX 470 vs ATI HD 5850Follow

#52 Aug 10 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
HooraySoysauce wrote:
Quote:
If you - or more likely, your parents - have more money than sense, that's your own concern. But quit using it as a basis to be a moron and give out sh*tty advice to people on forums.


For anybody that isn't sure which route to go for their next graphics card upgrade: look at how mad this young guy is getting. This is typical fanboy behavior at it's finest; trash the other card with examples that don't exist then insult whoever points it out.

My last three cards were all Nvidia, so if I am a fanboy, I must be an incredibly bad one. Of course, none of those cards had a reputation for running 15 degrees hotter than the competition with a negligible performance boost, so maybe you're confusing fanboyism with common sense? I mean, you're even making up horribly exaggerated claims and crediting them to us just because you can't handle the idea that heat output is a factor worth considering.

On top of that, you're just plain a ****, which certainly doesn't help at all.
#53 Aug 10 2010 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
I am not condoning Mojivo's aggressive posts towards you, but as I look back they are merely in response to the way you come across with your arguments. I have never built a desktop, and I have zero loyalty to either company. Call me a fanboy if you wish, but it is a false statement.

I'm simply trying to point out that all the animosity you are receiving from this thread isn't because of your arguments, it's how you come across with them. I doubt you would come across like this when having a discussion face to face with someone, so why not carry that same attitude here. Any well worded and polite response will not only prove you correct (if you are) but you will find others are willing to back you up.

I'm done arguing this point to you. It's frustrating when having to deal with people like you online, but your comments have been downvoted so much It seems I won't have to read them soon enough. Learn from your mistakes, and you will find that having a rational discussion is much more conducive to getting your point across. Or continue to be socially retarded. I don't care anymore. Good day.

Edited, Aug 10th 2010 12:31pm by Alkerr
____________________________


#54 Aug 10 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
312 posts
If they're comparable in virtually all terms, I'd personally recommend the 470. I have two 480s in SLI and, with very few exceptions, keep under 30C with air cooling. I used to like ATI, but I've run into a few stability issues over the years. I'd rather skip the headaches and go with the nVidia, which I've never had a problem with in the last 12 years or so.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#55 Aug 10 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
312 posts
Mikhalia wrote:
The fun part of ATI vs nVidia threads is that you can replace the terms with XBOX 360 and PS3 or Mac and PC or cake and pie and the arguments pretty much still work.


THIS PIE IS TOO HOT!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#56 Aug 10 2010 at 10:58 AM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
Quote:
none of those cards had a reputation for running 15 degrees hotter than the competition with a negligible performance boost, so maybe you're confusing fanboyism with common sense? I mean, you're even making up horribly exaggerated claims and crediting them to us just because you can't handle the idea that heat output is a factor worth considering.

On top of that, you're just plain a ****, which certainly doesn't help at all.


The performance boost isn't so negligible depending on the game. There are enough benchmarks out there for both sides so lets not get into a graph-posting game. Heat output is a factor worth considering IF it's going to hinder the system. It wouldn't in this case so it's not worth considering. Period.

Quote:
I am not condoning Mojivo's aggressive posts towards you, but as I look back they are merely in response to the way you come across with your arguments.


That's not what I was talking about.

Quote:
I doubt you would come across like this when having a discussion face to face with someone, so why not carry that same attitude here. An well worded and polite response will not only prove you correct (if you are) but you will find others are willing to back you up.


I knew it would come to this sooner or later. The old "you wouldn't say it to my face" stuff; my favorite part of these kinds of discussions. Yeah I would be so scared if a computer fanboy were in my presence....ROFLMFAO. Go back and reread what was posted a bit closer and see exactly how brash I was, then look at everybody else. How polite I am has no effect on the validity of my argument either.

Quote:
I'm done arguing this point to you. It's frustrating when having to deal with people like you online, but your comments have been downvoted so much It seems I won't have to read them soon enough. Learn from your mistakes, and you will find that having a rational discussion is much more conducive to getting your point across. Or continue to be socially retarded. I don't care anymore. Good day.


Rational discussion was thrown out the window before I posted in this thread. Fanboy slogans became acceptable so I spread the truth. Not only that, but I did it without any nasty name calling. Keep up the insults though; perhaps you should take your own advice? Good day to you too.


#57 Aug 10 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Quote:

I knew it would come to this sooner or later. The old "you wouldn't say it to my face" stuff; my favorite part of these kinds of discussions. Yeah I would be so scared if a computer fanboy were in my presence....ROFLMFAO. Go back and reread what was posted a bit closer and see exactly how brash I was, then look at everybody else. How polite I am has no effect on the validity of my argument either.


Perhaps you should take a reading comprehension class. The only thing I said was when you are having a discussion like this with ANYONE in person, chances are you would not be so abrasive. Not once did I ever say you are to much of a ***** to say it to my face. I can clearly tell you are looking for some kind of conflict here.

Clearly no amount of rational argument will get the point across to you, so carry on as you are, I doubt anyone on these forums will pay much attention to your advice.
____________________________


#58 Aug 10 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
This is going to be a long post.

Quote:
Perhaps you should take a reading comprehension class. The only thing I said was when you are having a discussion like this with ANYONE in person, chances are you would not be so abrasive. Not once did I ever say you are to much of a @#%^ to say it to my face. I can clearly tell you are looking for some kind of conflict here.


Funny how you will draw the conclusions you've drawn with me, but I need a reading comprehension class for the one I drew there. I really haven't been that abrasive and yes, I would discuss it just as I have here.

Quote:
Clearly no amount of rational argument will get the point across to you, so carry on as you are, I doubt anyone on these forums will pay much attention to your advice.


Nobody has made a rational argument with me. They have described very unlikely scenarios and exaggerated the facts to skew the discussion in their favor then resorted to insults when they couldn't produce an ample amount of proof to support their claims. More than one poster has posted setups equal to or hotter than the single 470 and they have basically supported my stance.

If they don't want to pay attention to my advice then fine, their loss not mine. What's your point again, that I'm a meanypoo? Lets go post by post to see what has been said here and gauge just how much of a jerk I am.

Me pointing out (in short) that these are the only real factors to consider with these cards and that anything else is propaganda:

Quote:
I can't believe anybody would make their purchase based on temps.

1. Performance
2. price

Everything else excuses for fanboys and poor people.


Horrible me; I used sarcasm to point out that the main factor in an overheating system is likely something that isn't the graphics card:

Quote:
Right because if your components overheat with x card, then they wouldn't with y card. If a gtx 470 overheats everything (lol) then the card is the least of your problems.


It stayed somewhat respectful for a bit (albeit more exaggeration from people that either don't know or are pushing agendas) and this happened.

Quote:
If you weren't somehow posting on these forums, I would question whether you even own a computer.

Hint: Modern components will throttle themselves to reduce their temperature instead of just letting them fry. That leads to, you guessed it, reduced performance. Saying you should consider performance instead of temperature is like saying you should think about your car's gas mileage instead of how much gas it uses.


Uh oh, now I have to fire back. I wasn't so abrasive in the response though.

Quote:
You guys are arguing a situation that I haven't even heard of actually happening. An environment hot enough for a gtx 470 to overheat a system, but a 5850 wouldn't? Be realistic people. How dumb would it sound if I said a 5870 would overheat my system but a gtx 460 is so nice and icy?

A video card like the gtx 470 isn't going to cause a system to overheat and throttle itself 99.9% of the time. Yeah I made that statistic up. A crappy case and/or an oven for a room would, but a gtx 470 causing a system to throttle? Give me a freaking break already.


So I make a point without being nearly as abrasive as our fanboy friend, but he responds with this nugget.

Quote:
A GTX470 will cause itself to throttle, which is more than enough reason not to get it over a card which is almost identical in performance. Do you even seriously know what the **** you're talking about? When the Nvidia card is running a full 14C higher than the ATI, you'd have to be seriously stupid to go with the Nvidia card when the ATI perfectly suits your purposes.

Quote:
How dumb would it sound if I said a 5870 would overheat my system but a gtx 460 is so nice and icy?

Incredibly dumb, since it's already been statistically established that the cards are in fact the other way around. But go on believing that heat won't somehow dissipate through your case and it's all magically whisked away by fairies as soon as it's generated.


More exaggerations and lies. Not only that, but an argument was made to counter a point that I never even made? He even had some funny cheerleader join in and add nothing. Awesome! Now lets see what kind of flamethrower abrasive old me brought out to counter.

Quote:
You make it seem as if these gtx 470s are overheating and throttling everywhere. Show me where these cards are overheating and exhibiting this behavior. Show me where they are causing overheating in other components. You can't can you? They will run at higher temps and can tolerate them well. The only prerequisite is that you have a case with decent airflow.

I never said to get an Nvidia card if an ATI card suits your purpose perfectly. If someone is going to buy their card based on just FFXIV performance so far then by all means they SHOULD buy an ATI card. I'm going to buy two of them just for this reason (and I would save $200+ over going with GTX 480s).


Ack! Lock that meaney up in a jail cell before he offends us all! Lets go further...

Quote:
I never said they were constantly overheating; in fact, no one did. But you're pretending that heat output shouldn't be a factor in what components you choose, and that it's "excuses for fanboys and poor people", which is frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You can build a computer out of components that are notorious for running hot if you want to; I'll be over using my cooler components with longer lifespan and better performance, not because they're inherently better, but because they're running a good 15C cooler.


Now this guy starts backtracking when he was bringing up throttling right before that. He then misses my original points and begins to call my opinion the stupidest thing he's ever heard. And I'm Mr Offensive Abrasive guy? This is getting awesomer every second. I made up a word for you guys to insult me with.

Quote:
You said yourself that it will cause itself to throttle. Another poster in this thread claimed that it would heat up other components and drop the performance all around. This is way overblown and you know it.

At this point it shouldn't. The card in question will not drop the performance of the surrounding components any more than it's ATI counterpart. If these things are cooking systems to that extent then you must have plenty of examples.

I should have added that uninformed to that list, but whatever. Fanboys like to cite heat as a reason for why the 400 series fail since they have a hardon for the red side. Broke people will hate on the things they can't afford. Ignorant people will listen to random message board posters and draw a quick conclusion based off unrealistic scenarios. If that offends you then I'm sorry. Actually I'm not, be mad.

Enjoy running a 58xx card for the next 10 years rofl. I do hope my super hot 5870s won't fry my system though. Oh well, all they have to do is last a couple years and I'll toss them out anyway. It's nice to not be broke.


My response and it was once again pretty tame. A dose of sarcasm at the end but hey, at this point is that so bad?

Quote:
If you - or more likely, your parents - have more money than sense, that's your own concern. But quit using it as a basis to be a moron and give out sh*tty advice to people on forums.


More insults and less real support for his argument. Are we seeing a pattern here? You're lecturing me on manners and check out how this is going. Once again it appears that it must have been something other than my attitude that annoyed you so much.

Quote:
For anybody that isn't sure which route to go for their next graphics card upgrade: look at how mad this young guy is getting. This is typical fanboy behavior at it's finest; trash the other card with examples that don't exist then insult whoever points it out. If he is telling the truth then he would start posting links showing that these cards will toast everything around them, but he knows this just isn't the case. Any example of that would be poor conditions in which any card would fail. I'll even look around for examples of it too just to help make sure people don't get bad cases for their ATI/Nvidia cards.

Compare the performance of the different cards in the games that interest you most and compare the prices. If you think your case would heat up due to a gtx 470 and would rather go with the 5850, buy a new case anyway so your 5850 doesn't turn into a volcano. Seriously a Cooler Master HAF 932 Black costs $160 and would rock for air cooling. Stop being cheap and get a decent case for gods sake.


At this point I have to point out why the other poster really isn't too credible. Perhaps I could have eased up on the last line, but I'm trying to give good advice for the sake of whomever may take it. Protect your investment by spending just a bit extra on a quality case. ****, most people could probably add fans to their current case and be well off.

Who needs a reading comprehension class now? You didn't like my hardware advice so you saw what you wanted to see in my posts and had the nerve to lecture me before looking closer. Try again.


#59 Aug 10 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
175 posts
Quote:
Everything else excuses for fanboys and poor people.

If that offends you then I'm sorry. Actually I'm not, be mad.

Stop being cheap and get a decent case for gods sake.


*gasp* yourpcwilloverheatandshortenthelifeofcomponentsandyourenotasmartconsumerdurrrrr

Get a kleenex and cry about it for all I care.

Yeah I would be so scared if a computer fanboy were in my presence....ROFLMFAO


You're right. Hardly abrasive at all. Considering most of your posts were sub-defaulted, I am not the only one who shares this opinion. I'm sure you will just blame that on fanboys though.
____________________________


#60 Aug 10 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Fetter wrote:
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

I would advise people do some reading. A good source would be www.overclock.net

Currently, with the last few driver iterations, nvidia has made progress by leaps and bounds.

In some places, GTX 470s are catching up to HD 5870s.

470s are nowhere near as hot or power hungry as the GTX 480s either (they average 20+ degrees cooler than 480s).

Were I you, I would choose the GTX 470. I'm not a fanboi. I own both a 5870 and a 480. I'm currently waiting for my 2nd 480 to arrive this week. It blows the 5870 out of the water. And yes, I know that the OP is asking about 470, not 480, but 470s OC to 480 levels easily.



I agree...kinda. The 470 runs a bit hotter and consumes more power. But is a bit more powerful.

Nvidia IS gaining through drivers, but the 470 should be more powerful than what it is.

The 470 is better with tessellation and of course nvidia specific things like CUDA.

But the 5850 is cooler, cheaper, draws less power and right now pulls better scores in FFXIV.

It may be foolish to buy a video card based off of a benchmark for a game that isn't even out yet, but if one score is higher than the other...(I still find it hilarious that the game is sponsored by nVidia but the drivers aren't optimized yet; if 460's and 470's eventually pull higher scores than the 5830 and 5850 I'd be very surprised.)

Also I would totally wait for the 'newer' cards to come out. If a more efficient GTX 475 came out at around $300 it would be a no brainer.
#61 Aug 10 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
HooraySoysauce wrote:
This is going to be a long post.

Quote:
Perhaps you should take a reading comprehension class. The only thing I said was when you are having a discussion like this with ANYONE in person, chances are you would not be so abrasive. Not once did I ever say you are to much of a @#%^ to say it to my face. I can clearly tell you are looking for some kind of conflict here.


Funny how you will draw the conclusions you've drawn with me, but I need a reading comprehension class for the one I drew there. I really haven't been that abrasive and yes, I would discuss it just as I have here.

Quote:
Clearly no amount of rational argument will get the point across to you, so carry on as you are, I doubt anyone on these forums will pay much attention to your advice.


Nobody has made a rational argument with me. They have described very unlikely scenarios and exaggerated the facts to skew the discussion in their favor then resorted to insults when they couldn't produce an ample amount of proof to support their claims. More than one poster has posted setups equal to or hotter than the single 470 and they have basically supported my stance.

If they don't want to pay attention to my advice then fine, their loss not mine. What's your point again, that I'm a meanypoo? Lets go post by post to see what has been said here and gauge just how much of a jerk I am.

Me pointing out (in short) that these are the only real factors to consider with these cards and that anything else is propaganda:

Quote:
I can't believe anybody would make their purchase based on temps.

1. Performance
2. price

Everything else excuses for fanboys and poor people.


Horrible me; I used sarcasm to point out that the main factor in an overheating system is likely something that isn't the graphics card:

Quote:
Right because if your components overheat with x card, then they wouldn't with y card. If a gtx 470 overheats everything (lol) then the card is the least of your problems.


It stayed somewhat respectful for a bit (albeit more exaggeration from people that either don't know or are pushing agendas) and this happened.

Quote:
If you weren't somehow posting on these forums, I would question whether you even own a computer.

Hint: Modern components will throttle themselves to reduce their temperature instead of just letting them fry. That leads to, you guessed it, reduced performance. Saying you should consider performance instead of temperature is like saying you should think about your car's gas mileage instead of how much gas it uses.


Uh oh, now I have to fire back. I wasn't so abrasive in the response though.

Quote:
You guys are arguing a situation that I haven't even heard of actually happening. An environment hot enough for a gtx 470 to overheat a system, but a 5850 wouldn't? Be realistic people. How dumb would it sound if I said a 5870 would overheat my system but a gtx 460 is so nice and icy?

A video card like the gtx 470 isn't going to cause a system to overheat and throttle itself 99.9% of the time. Yeah I made that statistic up. A crappy case and/or an oven for a room would, but a gtx 470 causing a system to throttle? Give me a freaking break already.


So I make a point without being nearly as abrasive as our fanboy friend, but he responds with this nugget.

Quote:
A GTX470 will cause itself to throttle, which is more than enough reason not to get it over a card which is almost identical in performance. Do you even seriously know what the **** you're talking about? When the Nvidia card is running a full 14C higher than the ATI, you'd have to be seriously stupid to go with the Nvidia card when the ATI perfectly suits your purposes.

Quote:
How dumb would it sound if I said a 5870 would overheat my system but a gtx 460 is so nice and icy?

Incredibly dumb, since it's already been statistically established that the cards are in fact the other way around. But go on believing that heat won't somehow dissipate through your case and it's all magically whisked away by fairies as soon as it's generated.


More exaggerations and lies. Not only that, but an argument was made to counter a point that I never even made? He even had some funny cheerleader join in and add nothing. Awesome! Now lets see what kind of flamethrower abrasive old me brought out to counter.

Quote:
You make it seem as if these gtx 470s are overheating and throttling everywhere. Show me where these cards are overheating and exhibiting this behavior. Show me where they are causing overheating in other components. You can't can you? They will run at higher temps and can tolerate them well. The only prerequisite is that you have a case with decent airflow.

I never said to get an Nvidia card if an ATI card suits your purpose perfectly. If someone is going to buy their card based on just FFXIV performance so far then by all means they SHOULD buy an ATI card. I'm going to buy two of them just for this reason (and I would save $200+ over going with GTX 480s).


Ack! Lock that meaney up in a jail cell before he offends us all! Lets go further...

Quote:
I never said they were constantly overheating; in fact, no one did. But you're pretending that heat output shouldn't be a factor in what components you choose, and that it's "excuses for fanboys and poor people", which is frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You can build a computer out of components that are notorious for running hot if you want to; I'll be over using my cooler components with longer lifespan and better performance, not because they're inherently better, but because they're running a good 15C cooler.


Now this guy starts backtracking when he was bringing up throttling right before that. He then misses my original points and begins to call my opinion the stupidest thing he's ever heard. And I'm Mr Offensive Abrasive guy? This is getting awesomer every second. I made up a word for you guys to insult me with.

Quote:
You said yourself that it will cause itself to throttle. Another poster in this thread claimed that it would heat up other components and drop the performance all around. This is way overblown and you know it.

At this point it shouldn't. The card in question will not drop the performance of the surrounding components any more than it's ATI counterpart. If these things are cooking systems to that extent then you must have plenty of examples.

I should have added that uninformed to that list, but whatever. Fanboys like to cite heat as a reason for why the 400 series fail since they have a hardon for the red side. Broke people will hate on the things they can't afford. Ignorant people will listen to random message board posters and draw a quick conclusion based off unrealistic scenarios. If that offends you then I'm sorry. Actually I'm not, be mad.

Enjoy running a 58xx card for the next 10 years rofl. I do hope my super hot 5870s won't fry my system though. Oh well, all they have to do is last a couple years and I'll toss them out anyway. It's nice to not be broke.


My response and it was once again pretty tame. A dose of sarcasm at the end but hey, at this point is that so bad?

Quote:
If you - or more likely, your parents - have more money than sense, that's your own concern. But quit using it as a basis to be a moron and give out sh*tty advice to people on forums.


More insults and less real support for his argument. Are we seeing a pattern here? You're lecturing me on manners and check out how this is going. Once again it appears that it must have been something other than my attitude that annoyed you so much.

Quote:
For anybody that isn't sure which route to go for their next graphics card upgrade: look at how mad this young guy is getting. This is typical fanboy behavior at it's finest; trash the other card with examples that don't exist then insult whoever points it out. If he is telling the truth then he would start posting links showing that these cards will toast everything around them, but he knows this just isn't the case. Any example of that would be poor conditions in which any card would fail. I'll even look around for examples of it too just to help make sure people don't get bad cases for their ATI/Nvidia cards.

Compare the performance of the different cards in the games that interest you most and compare the prices. If you think your case would heat up due to a gtx 470 and would rather go with the 5850, buy a new case anyway so your 5850 doesn't turn into a volcano. Seriously a Cooler Master HAF 932 Black costs $160 and would rock for air cooling. Stop being cheap and get a decent case for gods sake.


At this point I have to point out why the other poster really isn't too credible. Perhaps I could have eased up on the last line, but I'm trying to give good advice for the sake of whomever may take it. Protect your investment by spending just a bit extra on a quality case. ****, most people could probably add fans to their current case and be well off.

Who needs a reading comprehension class now? You didn't like my hardware advice so you saw what you wanted to see in my posts and had the nerve to lecture me before looking closer. Try again.




You're clearly getting rattled as evident by the effort you're putting into this thread. You fail to realize that having a good reputation on these forums, coupled with displaying a genuine approach for wanting to help others is what gets people to value your opinion.

While I agree with some things in your post are factual (because of what my research concluded), your approach in this thread gives you ZERO credibility.


____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#62 Aug 10 2010 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
nyopo wrote:
I like this review because they fraped it instead of running the in game benchmark.

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/page4.html

I found it interesting. I hope it help some people out. The x11 benchmark for metro 2033 is surprising. Pay close attention to the wrap up.
Interesting read. Wonder why changing from the standard benchmarks to fraps showed ATi competing much closer with their nVidia model counterparts.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#63 Aug 10 2010 at 3:31 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
Now this is just getting silly. Why do I have zero credibility? Don't sugar coat it either, everything I have posted is factual, not just some of it. Since you actually researched it you should know that.

I'm not rattled either. Taking 5 minutes to string together some quotes to watch that guy continue to ignore the facts is actually entertaining. It doesn't matter to me that much if a potential buyer listens to my good advice or not. I said what needed to be said.
#64 Aug 10 2010 at 3:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
175 posts
HooraySoysauce wrote:
Now this is just getting silly. Why do I have zero credibility? Don't sugar coat it either, everything I have posted is factual, not just some of it. Since you actually researched it you should know that.

I'm not rattled either. Taking 5 minutes to string together some quotes to watch that guy continue to ignore the facts is actually entertaining. It doesn't matter to me that much if a potential buyer listens to my good advice or not. I said what needed to be said.


Yeah, except my whole argument towards you really had nothing to do with which GPU is better, only on how you post things, and how to better get you point across. I never said you were wrong, I simply stated that if a consumer chooses to go with one card over another because he did the research and decided that the heat was an issue, then he isn't poor, or a fanboy as you so eloquently put it.

You are coming across as very confrontational, and your arguments get passed over because of it. You can continue to be aggressive with your arguments if you chose, but its pretty clear to me that no one is paying attention to you. Others in this thread are basically saying what you are, minus the attitude, and they are getting a better response. Are you having trouble seeing that?

Once again I'll lay this out there for you. I am not arguing for or against either card, only trying to school you on how to get your point across with ******* everyone off.
____________________________


#65HooraySoysauce, Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 4:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I thought you were done talking to me lol. Once again as my last post showed, you're very selective on how you enforce your lecturing. I haven't been nearly as inflammatory as others have been to me in this thread, but you still have this fixation on me.
#66 Aug 10 2010 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
If I buy a GPU based on performance and price, that makes me a fanboy, or means I am acting like one? Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. Someone else needs to makes sense of this for me
____________________________


#67HooraySoysauce, Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 5:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) the z means they will have that at the end of their priorities.
#68 Aug 10 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
Temperature is part of performance, period. If I am only upgrading my GPU as a lot of people on these forums seem to be doing because of limited funds, then yes I would take that into consideration. Sure they could drop another 100 for a better case, but for most dropping the money for a GPU is already stretching their funds.

____________________________


#69 Aug 10 2010 at 5:42 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
Then they should be aware of the fact that if their case has poor airflow then it probably won't matter which card they pick. They shouldn't pick the ATI because they think it will resist overheating, they should do it because it performs better in their game(s) of interest and because it's priced competitively. They need to have realistic expectations so we won't have to hear the "OMGZ da 5850 iz volcano" stuff. They have been warned.
#70 Aug 10 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
HooraySoysauce wrote:
They shouldn't pick the ATI because they think it will resist overheating, they should do it because it performs better in their game(s) of interest and because it's priced competitively.
Second reply of the thread:
bsphil wrote:
Both are very good cards. On paper the 470 is more powerful but in testing ATi is currently just performing better. That may or may not change down the road. They're both strong enough cards that I'd not base your decision on FFXIV. Will the extra money for a 470 be worth the extra increase in performance elsewhere and down the road, is what you have to decide. I wouldn't buy that particular 5850 though, you can get them for ~$270.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#71 Aug 10 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
I never had a problem with that quote. I would consider basing my decision on ffxiv performance. The 5850 is looking like the best deal out there as far as ffxiv performance goes when working with a limited budget.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)