Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

NDA Lifted/Relaxed?Follow

#52 Aug 11 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,673 posts
This is the only site I check... and yes, there is brown stuff on my nose. Smiley: sly
#53 Aug 11 2010 at 12:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
Mostaru wrote:
that's cool.
but in my opinion, SE is not too strict on the NDA.
if you google or youtube "FFXIV", there are tons of information which should be banned.

BUT... I'm not complaining, because I'm not in the beta..............YET!


It's true. Some beta testers have posted videos of leveling or party play for almost every job discipline. There have been some videos of the craft jobs as well. I do not support this and even would not now, seeing what rules you have stated by SE, but they are out there and have been for a long while. Of course I would watch it's information, but no as a beta tester I would never post videos.

I have seen on another website that they have stated this also, that the NDA is lifted. I haven't seen anything more than in depth gameplay discussion in that forum. I for one would love to see more forum discussion on beta game testers experieces. The improvements they have seen made in the game since day one, etc.

I don't see it as a big deal that the NDA is lifted. ALOT of information is out there, this will just maybe help to distinguish facts from the BS. ^ ^
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#54 Aug 11 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
3 posts
Quote:
How do we know that others sites aren't just taking what the OP posted as "SE has contacted us and says it's cool"? They could be going of just that and twisted it to make it sound like it's ok to post info about the beta.


That's sorta my take on it as well. Someone other than FFXIVCore posting. 'Yes we have emailed clairification from SE that the NDA is partially lifted.' would greatly be appreciated.

You'd think SE would hype this to the sky as a huge marketing moment? Seems very strange and a tad suspicious.
#55 Aug 11 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
some one other than core has posted it. It is on eorzeapedia as well
____________________________

#56 Aug 11 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
Read the threads over there. Eorzeapedia hasn't confirmed anything specific. Everything is implied and very likely could be just buying into that the posted document equals confirmation.

Edit: Gahoo an admin at E just commented in a thread that direct confirmation with SE was made :D

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 2:56pm by Mythosaeon

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 2:57pm by Mythosaeon
#57 Aug 11 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
Mythosaeon wrote:
Quote:
How do we know that others sites aren't just taking what the OP posted as "SE has contacted us and says it's cool"? They could be going of just that and twisted it to make it sound like it's ok to post info about the beta.


That's sorta my take on it as well. Someone other than FFXIVCore posting. 'Yes we have emailed clairification from SE that the NDA is partially lifted.' would greatly be appreciated.

You'd think SE would hype this to the sky as a huge marketing moment? Seems very strange and a tad suspicious.


Now that I have read through all the posts and seen what everyone has to say on the subject, even laugh at the Gators off topic post, I agree admins should call it. We can wait it's not that big of a deal.

Other sites posting is their choice at this time, and if they are off base they may pay the price and so be it. Once information is out there, it really is kinda out there. This is the glory of the internet. It makes Justin Biebers or causes the girl next door to help her boyfriend try to hurt her girlfriend, causing said girlfriend to suffer severe damage and the girl next door to be on the Today show saying bad words. Go figure.
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#58 Aug 11 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
Pikko and I were talking about this last night when SE first posted it. It does look like the NDA is being relaxed a bit in the way of screenshots, but until we hear from Pikko officially, I would not go posting screenies just yet. She's probably got to talk with the ZAM site managers about it first.


It is very exciting news though, for those who aren't in Beta or haven't seen many in game screenies! Smiley: cool
#59 Aug 11 2010 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Does this mean I won't feel dirty anymore looking for "FFXIV screens" or "no NDA FFXIV" in google and youtube?
#60 Aug 11 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Default
**
338 posts
I dont get why ppl get /panic when its about breaking a NDA.
People think its like a NEW WORLD ORDER LAW and they can kill you for breaking it. **** freezes over and USA starts to attack the country of the NDA breakers or whatever.

Man thats ridiculous. Here are some simple and easy facts:

First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.

All they can do is kick ya out of beta if they find out, but people seem like the will get shot if they do.

Second:
Different countrys, different laws.
Im pretty sure there is a lot of stuff in the NDA which, even if you agree with it, is not legal in terms of law here in germany.
So basically: if you agree to something, in this case NDA, and break a rule of it which wasnt legal anyways, you havent broke anything. Though SE can still kick ya out of beta, thats all they can do.

Third: You cant break NDA when you havent agreed to it. But still have access to beta material.

Always funny to see people runnic around like panic chicken when it comes to NDA breaking talk.

Even more funny to see a lot of videos which "most probably" break NDA on famous video stream sites. Seems beta user dont care about NDA that much but only Forum user who talk about NDA and dont have beta access #CARE A LOT

The ironie...



Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:15pm by Mithraspike
#61 Aug 11 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I am waiting on direct confirmation. I'm sorry, but I can't take secondhand confirmation and run with it, for obvious reasons.
#62 Aug 11 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
EDIT: Nah

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:25pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#63 Aug 11 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Mithraspike wrote:
I dont get why ppl get /panic when its about breaking a NDA.
People think its like a NEW WORLD ORDER LAW and they can kill you for breaking it. **** freezes over and USA starts to attack the country of the NDA breakers or whatever.


It's not all about that though. I'm sure no one thinks if they spread NDA-breaking info & links they'll be hunted down. It's about this particular website's rules about such behavior, and while that may not mean anything to lots of people, those who really enjoy the site are probably gonna follow those rules.

And yeah, really there's no big loss from breaking the rules, but there isn't really a big gain either. People hungry for info will find it, and when they get it, it's still gonna be 40+ days until release.
____________________________

#64 Aug 11 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
Oy...the confusion is too much.

#65 Aug 11 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.



Free Speech is not 100% unlimited. It never has been, it never will be, and it's not even what the 1st amendment means. Can I say I've just planted a bomb in an airport? No. Can I say I'm going to murder the president? No. Can you break a legally binding contract by divulging information? No.

Well, technically, you can do all of those things, but guess what? There will be consequences to pay. Either to the government for breaking a law, or civil penalties for breach of contract.


"I have free speech I can say whatever I want!!!" stopped making sense around 10 years old. Reasonable people understand that Free Speech is a right to be used responsibly.
#66 Aug 11 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
Mithraspike wrote:
I dont get why ppl get /panic when its about breaking a NDA.
People think its like a NEW WORLD ORDER LAW and they can kill you for breaking it. **** freezes over and USA starts to attack the country of the NDA breakers or whatever.

Man thats ridiculous. Here are some simple and easy facts:

First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.

All they can do is kick ya out of beta if they find out, but people seem like the will get shot if they do.

Second:
Different countrys, different laws.
Im pretty sure there is a lot of stuff in the NDA which, even if you agree with it, is not legal in terms of law here in germany.
So basically: if you agree to something, in this case NDA, and break a rule of it which wasnt legal anyways, you havent broke anything. Though SE can still kick ya out of beta, thats all they can do.

Third: You cant break NDA when you havent agreed to it. But still have access to beta material.

Always funny to see people runnic around like panic chicken when it comes to NDA breaking talk.

Even more funny to see a lot of videos which "most probably" break NDA on famous video stream sites. Seems beta user dont care about NDA that much but only Forum user who talk about NDA and dont have beta access #CARE A LOT

The ironie...



Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:15pm by Mithraspike


Some of what you say makes sense, and I agree. I am an honorable person and always try to do whats right. If I'm part of a forum that agrees to uphold the NDA then I will abide by that. So in that aspect I am being honorable to the forum, more so prob than to SE.

I do agree with the Irony part. Seems like this is a forum where they want ppl to post and express their opinions. Share their thoughts on subjects and just have a safe place to discuss whats on their minds. I watched the posts, and someone is going down the line and rating them down. I do not understand this at all. Noone is breaking NDA. Noone is saying they will not abide by ZAM's forum policies. I am going down the line and rating ppl back up. Do not take away ppl's right to say whats on their minds and how they respond to a thread. If it's severely negative, derogatory, or personal in nature, then I understand, but welcome new opions and thoughts.

Don't shun or make ppl go to other sites cause they feel differently than you do, or because they have the courage to express feelings that are not in the majority.
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#67 Aug 11 2010 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Quote:
First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.



Free Speech is not 100% unlimited. It never has been, it never will be, and it's not even what the 1st amendment means. Can I say I've just planted a bomb in an airport? No. Can I say I'm going to murder the president? No. Can you break a legally binding contract by divulging information? No.

Well, technically, you can do all of those things, but guess what? There will be consequences to pay. Either to the government for breaking a law, or civil penalties for breach of contract.


"I have free speech I can say whatever I want!!!" stopped making sense around 10 years old. Reasonable people understand that Free Speech is a right to be used responsibly.


I agree with this also. There are moments when free speeech is a moment of lack of judgement.
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#68 Aug 11 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Mithraspike wrote:
I dont get why ppl get /panic when its about breaking a NDA.
People think its like a NEW WORLD ORDER LAW and they can kill you for breaking it. **** freezes over and USA starts to attack the country of the NDA breakers or whatever.

Man thats ridiculous. Here are some simple and easy facts:

First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.

All they can do is kick ya out of beta if they find out, but people seem like the will get shot if they do.

Second:
Different countrys, different laws.
Im pretty sure there is a lot of stuff in the NDA which, even if you agree with it, is not legal in terms of law here in germany.
So basically: if you agree to something, in this case NDA, and break a rule of it which wasnt legal anyways, you havent broke anything. Though SE can still kick ya out of beta, thats all they can do.

Third: You cant break NDA when you havent agreed to it. But still have access to beta material.

Always funny to see people runnic around like panic chicken when it comes to NDA breaking talk.

Even more funny to see a lot of videos which "most probably" break NDA on famous video stream sites. Seems beta user dont care about NDA that much but only Forum user who talk about NDA and dont have beta access #CARE A LOT

The ironie...



Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:15pm by Mithraspike




In this case NDA enforcment is out of respect, something the internet has, overtime, effectively destroyed.
#69 Aug 11 2010 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
**
577 posts
Quote:
Does this mean I won't feel dirty anymore looking for "FFXIV screens" or "no NDA FFXIV" in google and youtube?


Most people just look at ****...

Quote:
First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted.


Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it, and there are plenty of examples of things you can't say or do in certain ways. For example, if you sign an NDA at your job and then go to a competitor, you cannot give away your previous company's trade secrets and expect to get away with it by calling it free speech.

You can't tell your boss "@#%^ you!" and expect not to get fired.

You can't publicly show someone's intellectual property or otherwise infringe on their copyrights and expect not to get sued.

You can't make false claims about people and expect not to get sued for slander or libel.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

Quote:
All they can do is kick ya out of beta if they find out

If your NDA-breaking causes financial damages to the company, they can in theory sue you. They probably won't, but you did make a legal agreement with the company not to disclose their trade secrets.

Quote:
You cant break NDA when you havent agreed to it. But still have access to beta material.


Someone along the line has to have broken an NDA to get it out, and that's why they want to keep it off of the fan sites like this one.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:43pm by khorbin
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#70 Aug 11 2010 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Mithraspike wrote:
First: Sharing experience by Speech/Talk is a Human Right ( Freedom of Speech ). Not a NDA, not SE has the right, even by agreeing to the NDA to take this away. Because if a NDA has such a sentence in it, its illegimitate just because of the laws. You cant "temporarily" agree to have your human rights ristricted. Atleast not in most European Countrys.


1) Being in the constitution of several countries does not automatically make something a "human right" that applies to anyone anywhere.

2) Freedom of speech is not limitless. Censorship -DOES- apply to a point. Do I have the right to go into work places and start shouting racial epithets and slander? Would you like me to come up to your child and start swearing in front of or at them and you? But, but, Freedom of speech!!! No, it doesn't work that way. When you are in a public place, you abide by that public place's rules and standards of order, which brings me to #3:

3) Freedom of speech DOES NOT APPLY to the internet. Your freedom of speech is as much as an individual site will let you get away with. Things that you could post on gamefaqs you would not get away with posting on somethingawful. Things that the KKK would post on their website would not fly well if posted on an NAACP forum. Things that are posted on 4chan's /d/ or /b/ forums would not go over at all well if reposted here. But, but, Freedom of speech!!! Again, it does not work that way. When you post something on a website, you agree to abide by what they say you can and cannot say. If they don't like what you have to say, they can delete it. It's their site, they have the right to. If you don't like it, start up your own site where you can say anything you want.

What does this has to do with anything? SE's NDA governs what they do and don't want said. And if Alla has posts that violate it, SE can tell them to take it off, otherwise they stop giving us shineys. No more exclusive interviews, no more beta keys, no more Pikko and Elmer bringing us news from fanfest...

So tell me, do you think your "right to say whatever the **** I want whenever the **** I want it" supersedes this site's agreements with SE? Do you think that "Freedom of speech" is limitless?

If so, go here: http://boards.4chan.org/d/ (Note: Not even remotely work safe, you dummy)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#71 Aug 11 2010 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
Pikko wrote:
I am waiting on direct confirmation. I'm sorry, but I can't take secondhand confirmation and run with it, for obvious reasons.


It is very honorable to do so Pikko. I stand by you and your decision.
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#72 Aug 11 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Good
**
577 posts
Quote:
1) Being in the constitution of several countries does not automatically make something a "human right" that applies to anyone anywhere.


The UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

Quote:
2) Freedom of speech is not limitless. Censorship -DOES- apply to a point. Do I have the right to go into work places and start shouting racial epithets and slander? Would you like me to come up to your child and start swearing in front of or at them and you? But, but, Freedom of speech!!! No, it doesn't work that way.


Sure it does. You can absolutely do those things, but to expect your actions not to have consequences is another matter.

Quote:
3) Freedom of speech DOES NOT APPLY to the internet.


Ever been to /b/? Of course freedom of speech applies on the internet. You have the freedom to post whatever you want, and websites simultaneously exercise their right to free speech by taking down your offensive content.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:52pm by khorbin
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#73 Aug 11 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Mithraspike wrote:
I dont get why ppl get /panic when its about breaking a NDA.
People think its like a NEW WORLD ORDER LAW and they can kill you for breaking it. **** freezes over and USA starts to attack the country of the NDA breakers or whatever.


Because it's ZAM's site, ZAM's rules. People don't want to disrespect their host and/or get kicked out of the forums over some thing trivial when we could just wait until we get the official "okay" to start talking about stuff.

When you have your own web forum, you can make your own rules, and as long as you don't care that S-E hates you, and as long as you comply if and when they get a subpoena for your user's information so they can track down the original NDA breakers, then you should be completely fine allowing people to post NDA breaking information.

Obviously the admins at ZAM want a more friendly relationship with S-E, and because of that they've decided to comply with the NDA even though they may not be strictly bound by it. We can "break" the NDA if and when Pikko (or her Evil Overlords) decide it's okay. Until then, posting some thing that falls under the NDA is a good way to get your post and your account deleted.
#74 Aug 11 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
khorbin wrote:
Quote:
1) Being in the constitution of several countries does not automatically make something a "human right" that applies to anyone anywhere.


The UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

Quote:
2) Freedom of speech is not limitless. Censorship -DOES- apply to a point. Do I have the right to go into work places and start shouting racial epithets and slander? Would you like me to come up to your child and start swearing in front of or at them and you? But, but, Freedom of speech!!! No, it doesn't work that way.


Sure it does. You can absolutely do those things, but to expect your actions not to have consequences is another matter.


The implication that a lot of people who tout freedom of speech arguments on forums is that there should not be consequence for it; that "I have the right to say it, therefore you do not have the right to stop me from saying it". Furthermore, regarding the UN thing, try telling that to China or North Korea.

Quote:
Quote:
3) Freedom of speech DOES NOT APPLY to the internet.


Ever been to /b/? Of course freedom of speech applies on the internet. You have the freedom to post whatever you want, and websites simultaneously exercise their right to free speech by taking down your offensive content.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 3:52pm by khorbin


If you had read the rest of my post, you'll notice that I didn't even post a link to /b/; I posted a link to /d/, which is arguably worse. You'll also notice that I pointed out that different sites have different limitations and just because something flies one place doesn't mean it flies everywhere.

Should I expect that I can post goatse on Alla and Wikipedia just because I can post it on Newgrounds and 4chan? No. Each site has the right to limit exactly how much "Freedom of speech" their posters have.

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 4:03pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#75 Aug 11 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I got confirmation on screenshots, but still waiting on the rest!
#76 Aug 11 2010 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
**
577 posts
Quote:
I got confirmation on screenshots, but still waiting on the rest!


Awesome!
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#77 Aug 11 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
Pikko wrote:
I got confirmation on screenshots, but still waiting on the rest!


Go Pikko Go Pikko GO! lol ^ ^
____________________________
FFXI (BST 75, RDM 75, BLM 75, BRD 75) (along with many subs and cherished friends)

And on the 7th day God created Miqo'te.
On the 8th day God saw that they were sad and lonely, God then threw down a Squarenix staff member and thus was born the male Miqo'te.
#78 Aug 11 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
**
338 posts
A lot of ppl misunderstood something here.
Yes we all know that freedom of speech have consequences. ( China, USA too a lot and so on )
But thats not the point.
The Threadstarter said:

Square-Enix is giving permission to post screenshots (but not video)and share experiences.

Share Experience = talking about it as example.
So this guys basically is saying: Now you are allowed to "talk" with others about FFXIV Beta, before it wasnt.
Atleast we/I can interpet it like that.

So with that sentence it reads like: "SE commanded the World to shut up in real life, by talking to other ppls about FFXIV beta" ( keeping aside discussion in forums for now ) - which they are not allowed too.

Example: Guy A is infront of the SE HQ and talking with Guy B about FFIX Beta. SE-Boss: lets call him "Boss" is coming to work. He listens to them and understands they talk about FFXIV beta - now because there is NDA he can sue both of them ? **** no !!!!!!!!! Because here this is Freedom of Speech.
Maybe if this would be China or USA it would work but in most European Countrys which are way more liberal the judge would laugh about it.
Its different when both of these guys have screenshots which they public to others.
Because that would be copyright infringment and the evidence are easy to get. A copyright infringment just by "audio signals" ( because they talk/making noises ) to prove would be hard because, atleast in a lot of countrys here around, recording the speech of others without their knowing is a crime. And even then the Freedom of Speech ( ppl talk about beta ) would "count" higher as the copyright infringment.( that you published BIG BETA NEWS by mouth to mouth )

Another example:
I could make a website and release FFXI-beta stuff there which i get from a beta user i know.
Now SE CANT Sue me for breaking NDA, they have to find out who really broke it and kick/sue him.
What they CAN and WILL do is sue me then for copyright infringment to force me taking down their copyright related Screenshots/Videos.

But the reason is different and thats the point.
#79 Aug 11 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
Mithraspike wrote:


Another example:
I could make a website and release FFXI-beta stuff there which i get from a beta user i know.
Now SE CANT Sue me for breaking NDA, they have to find out who really broke it and kick/sue him.
What they CAN and WILL do is sue me then for copyright infringment to force me taking down their copyright related Screenshots/Videos.

But the reason is different and thats the point.


They could also sue John Doe, and subpoena you as a witness. You'd either turn over your source, or risk being held in contempt of court.
#80 Aug 11 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
*
205 posts
"The Materials you may use also includes in-game screenshots captured by you, as well as assets and information posted at www.finalfantasyxiv.com and FINAL FANTASY XIV-specific official websites."

I don't think there's a misunderstanding. If we go by the text it is definitely clear that they have allowed beta testers to leak information other than music, video, and vocal tracks. All that we're waiting for is a confirmation as to this part "...as well as assets and information posted at www.finalfantasyxiv.com and FINAL FANTASY XIV-specific offical websites." The beta site is an offical FINAL FANTASY XIV-specific website and thus technically it would fall under the guidelines in this license.

If you use a "black and white" system of law then it would be fine, but we don't live in a black and white world thus these gray areas need to be confirmed before anything is posted primarily out of respect and possible legal action.
____________________________
It's not who we are, but what we do that define us. - Batman Begins

#81 Aug 11 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts

Quote from FFXIV core.

I reckon there is a whole lot of people playing in Beta currently preparing their posts the "break" the story of their experiences. Please!!!!!!

"We've confirmed with Square Enix that it's OK for any beta tester to post about their experience from the FFXIV beta and also to post screenshots (but no video's, as per the materials usage license). Obviously this mean you can go nuts posting beta experience information and screenshots on our site."
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#82 Aug 11 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Excellent
*
194 posts
Quote:
I got confirmation on screenshots, but still waiting on the rest!


So this means beta people are allowed to admit they're in beta? I can't see how you could post screenshots without revealing that as well.
____________________________
Among reasonable people, kindness is contagious.
#83 Aug 11 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I've officially confirmed myself with SE that posting experiences is ok. We'll have a news story up about it soon.
#84 Aug 11 2010 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
screenshots and experiences. . . I'm assuming no videos?

I'm not even in the beta, I'm just curious as to which parts [if any] of the NDA are still in effect.
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#85 Aug 11 2010 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
I think the fact that they allow screenshots but not video is indicative that they are still worried about public opinion on the flow of combat.
#86 Aug 11 2010 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
#87 Aug 11 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
549 posts
Since I've had this discussion far to many times in my life already, I point you to a wise man......


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1Lq1uFcAE&feature=related
____________________________
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
#88 Aug 11 2010 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Pikko wrote:
I've officially confirmed myself with SE that posting experiences is ok. We'll have a news story up about it soon.


Come on Beta players, tell, tell, tell - we want information and we want it now!!!!!

How does crafting work, how is combat, what about control systems, what rigs are you running the game on, how is solo play, how do you learn new skills, how do you gain new crafting recipes, what are the graphics like, how smooth are the animations, how big is the world (in the part you have been able to access), how is solo play, how is group play?

I could go on all day!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#89 Aug 11 2010 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
I think the fact that they allow screenshots but not video is indicative that they are still worried about public opinion on the flow of combat.


There are still currently a lot of crashes and other bugs that might make the game look bad if some one were to post a "worst case" video. It's a reasonable restriction IMO. I just hope they get the client stabilized by launch.
#90 Aug 11 2010 at 7:38 PM Rating: Default
**
338 posts
Quote:
They could also sue John Doe, and subpoena you as a witness. You'd either turn over your source, or risk being held in contempt of court.


To bad there is no John Doe "sues" here where i live - atleast not in the kind of the USA ones.
Besides that: you cant being held in contempt of court "for the rest of your lifespan" - assuming you keep stfu about the source at all costs.

Again big difference compared to USA ( and im thankful it is that more liberal )

Edited, Aug 11th 2010 9:41pm by Mithraspike
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)