I'm sure I'll get rated down into oblivion for this, but so be it. WoW's method of handling gear, it's ingame AH and mail systems, dungeon instancing/cross realm instancing, mounts summonable at will, being able to SOLO ON MY OWN TIME to max level. . . All decent concepts that could stand to be considered for use in one way or another in other MMOs. [including POSSIBLY FFXIV--obviously it's impossible to say, knowing nothing about FFXIV RTM features].
It's not Blizzard's fault that a good portion of their fanbase are bibbling idiots. But don't just sit there and and play [Mac] fanboy Mik.
1) What do you mean wow's method of handling gear?
2) It has a good ah system yes, SE is trying something different, lets see how it works. Although I liked FFXI's ah history greatly, really helped on pricing items (and it was obvious when someone was tryign to rig it)
3) How is its mail different from other mmo's? FFXI's was clunky, but I'm sure it XIV's will be improved over that
4) There are some instances in XIV
5) Cross realm I disagree with, its detroys server community (wow's community sucks so bad no one cares anyways) and in FFXI and I assume XIV as well, the community will be a very important aspect. Yes it makes some things easier, but you need to think about the price it comes with as well.
6) Mounts summonable depends on the setup of the game, we all know WoW makes everything immediately accessible for zero trouble, but not every game is made for instant gratification. XI's system made some travel pretty bad I can agree with, but we should see XIV's landscape and travel (I'm not in beta so I wouldn't know) before jumping to conclusions on this. The adventure isnt as much when you simply charge past everything on your super fast mount, I remember a lot of fun/danger in XI having a party trying to sneak through to a destination. That adventure made a much bigger impression on me and I think fondly back to it.
7) From my understanding, soloing will be possible, but grouping better.
For the record I partially blame blizzard for making most of their fanbase babbling idiots, because they do nothing but enable them.
Rampant mods to ensure every encounter is jokeified, all challenges nulled and thought processes invalid. You can change your name, you gender, your race, your faction, your server, there is no responsibility in decisions, and if you make everyone hate you, just go to another server problem solved. Why care what anyone thinks when everything but raids are cross realm, you probably wont be playing with them anyways, hey hes on another sever so why care to be nice to him probably wont see him ever again.
They are idiots and asshats because blizzard offers no incentive NOT to be.