Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Before posting on the beta, Consider thisFollow

#1 Aug 13 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Point of this post is to emphasize how limited the available content in the beta is.

First things first. Beta has only 1 city, 1 traditional quest line and 2 ish levequests or so per discipline.

There are only 4 areas to explore (massive, but still only 4). 1 area is similar in variety as 1 area of XI. Imagine having windy, Sarutabaruta region, and the mountains.

Jobs are limited to the very basic jobs. Similar to how XI is limited to 6 fighting classes at start.

Content in the beta is not set in stone. It has changed in every version, from the battle system to the way XP is gained and stored. Example: You used to be able to use physical levels to manually increase your HP and MP. This has since changed. They also used to have Elemental and Physical stats all deduct from the same points. Game was 100x laggier, crashed with a mere 500 people per server.

There are very few bugs.

As many of the testers have discovered, there is the beta version of the game, and then there is the game. Because of how limited the beta version is, it is a completely separate version than the final product. They are adding in features as they need them tested, not as they are adding them to the game. This also causes some bugs that may already be fixed to creep up again, as the beta version is probably an old version of the game.



That all being said, here are ways to be helpful:

Don't post about bugs or mechanics and your opinions of them on this forums. There is a forums specifically for feed back. The feedback threads are relatively well kept, and they get read. Posting about bugs or issues with game mechanics here will only lead to people getting the wrong impression of the game.

Remember that SE is treating this beta version as a beta version and not a free preview. This means that the content is SEVERELY limited in quantity and quality. Again, going back to a scale most of you can grasp well, it would be the same as playing XI with the only quest available in the entire game being the mission for the town you are allowed to use. Then imagine that the farthest you can go in missions is 2-3. That would be the extent of the quests in XIV at the moment. No one in the beta is getting any information that would give them any real advantage over a player starting on August 22nd.

What SE wants most out of it's testers would be their reactions. That alone is what they want, and what you should be posting in the beta forums. It is invaluable having 100k reactions sorted into threads on different subjects a full month before release.

At any rate, good luck, have fun, make babies.
#2 Aug 14 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Quote:
There are very few bugs.

I see you didn't even make it through the opening cutscene.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#3 Aug 14 2010 at 2:16 AM Rating: Good
**
281 posts
I agree with Metal, everyone playing the beta is knit-picking and tearing everything to shreds. You could do that with every single beta for any MMO and make it seem terribly flawed.
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#4 Aug 14 2010 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
*
239 posts
new phase three testers: Phase 3-ers aren't allowed to post at all on the beta forums, even the general discussion forum. At first i was bummed and angry I couldn't report my bugs/issues, but they do already have hundreds of others, so I guess they'll get all the feedback they'll need. no use having an ego and convincing myself that MY feedback is best.

That said, only Alpha testers are allowed to post in the feedback forums, I wish they had given Alphas teh ability to start polls, but let everyone vote. This would allow for hte maximum feedback with minimum clutter.
#5 Aug 14 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
Almalexia wrote:
Quote:
There are very few bugs.

I see you didn't even make it through the opening cutscene.


If you even know the difference between bugs and server delay.
____________________________

#6 Aug 14 2010 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
600 posts
MetalSmith wrote:
Point of this post is to emphasize how limited the available content in the beta is.

First things first. Beta has only 1 city, 1 traditional quest line and 2 ish levequests or so per discipline.

There are only 4 areas to explore (massive, but still only 4). 1 area is similar in variety as 1 area of XI. Imagine having windy, Sarutabaruta region, and the mountains.

Jobs are limited to the very basic jobs. Similar to how XI is limited to 6 fighting classes at start.

Content in the beta is not set in stone. It has changed in every version, from the battle system to the way XP is gained and stored. Example: You used to be able to use physical levels to manually increase your HP and MP. This has since changed. They also used to have Elemental and Physical stats all deduct from the same points. Game was 100x laggier, crashed with a mere 500 people per server.

There are very few bugs.

As many of the testers have discovered, there is the beta version of the game, and then there is the game. Because of how limited the beta version is, it is a completely separate version than the final product. They are adding in features as they need them tested, not as they are adding them to the game. This also causes some bugs that may already be fixed to creep up again, as the beta version is probably an old version of the game.



That all being said, here are ways to be helpful:

Don't post about bugs or mechanics and your opinions of them on this forums. There is a forums specifically for feed back. The feedback threads are relatively well kept, and they get read. Posting about bugs or issues with game mechanics here will only lead to people getting the wrong impression of the game.

Remember that SE is treating this beta version as a beta version and not a free preview. This means that the content is SEVERELY limited in quantity and quality. Again, going back to a scale most of you can grasp well, it would be the same as playing XI with the only quest available in the entire game being the mission for the town you are allowed to use. Then imagine that the farthest you can go in missions is 2-3. That would be the extent of the quests in XIV at the moment. No one in the beta is getting any information that would give them any real advantage over a player starting on August 22nd.

What SE wants most out of it's testers would be their reactions. That alone is what they want, and what you should be posting in the beta forums. It is invaluable having 100k reactions sorted into threads on different subjects a full month before release.

At any rate, good luck, have fun, make babies.


I agree that testers need not to post their "feelings" on this site and keep all feedback within the beta site.
Yet I must say as a beta tester myself, I will just say that my current feelings about the game is Apprehensive, yet Hopeful.
____________________________

Quote:
Fiddle Faddle!

#7 Aug 14 2010 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
*
237 posts
I totally agree. I've been in since alpha 1. I realise this beta isn't a content beta. Trying to tell that to all the sneak-peekers or the people who only have their "beta tester" experience from open betas aka demos is a losing battle.

You will have those people crying the game has a severe lack of content, not realising that SE is only interested in testing the systems or the framework if you will.

I asked once on the beta forum to some guy who was crying that we only had 1 area to explore. I asked why it was so important to see the other cities, what test data would it bring to SE if you did guildleves in 1 city over the other, or if you were able to kill mobs in area Y as opposed to area X? he relied "because I want to see it"

Thats the majority of the people complaining of the lack of content. They want to see it. SE isn't giving in. I say good job SE.

FFXIV is by no means with it faults and merits, but I'm looking forward to Sep 22nd and the time spent adventuring there after.
____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#8 Aug 14 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Almexia, I've made it through the cut scene at every release stage. There are hardly any bugs in the game mechanics to speak of. At best, you can call the keyboard unresponsive. Game works great with USB gamepad.

Also, as for the reason phase 3 players aren't able to post in the forums. SE has about 100k of them in the general discussion section on the NA page alone. That's only general discussion. Most of it is actually off topic and random trolling. It's amazing how SE invited 90% of the 4chan users to the first 3 stages of closed testing.

On the other hand, the feedback threads are very civil, people generally keep on topic and post not in reply to others but simply their own feelings towards the game directly to the developers. Either it is very well moderated or people have had a healthy respect for forums and threads with a very specific topic.

At any rate, the OP was something that I kept wanting to post in nearly every thread about the beta content that I came across. Thought it would be easier to post a separate thread about it, rather that posting the same thing in 20 different threads. Thanks for the rate ups :D
#9 Aug 14 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Yeah I appreciate the topic made too. I have a lot issues with some of the basic things but a majority of the stuff I have issue with is content and quite frankly we aren't getting that till release. Hopefully those that do have the option (I am one of those phase 3 testers, can't post my own feedback :() they will continue to post decent feedback for some of the most basic design issues. Whether that's UI, flow of the game, controls whatever else. We as testers are not supposed to test every little facet of the final game, but to give creative and useful feedback on BASIC concepts and design, nothing more and nothing less.

They chose to block out a majority of the areas. We can't even see half of the starter region yet, much less the region above that (although I'm not sure that one will be in the initial release if the teleport function is anything to go by.). We got 4 other regions coming in the final game + plus the rest of Las Noscea or whatever its called. We got 2 more starter regions, we got more crafting recipes and gear to come.

Oh for those that don't know because they aren't in the beta. The teleporter has the names of the other regions they will release eventually in it. They have the blackshroud which is the Gridania starter region. Thanalan which is the Ul'Dah starter region. Mor Dhol which seems to be a middle region designed converge the three starter location distances. And one more region, think it might Doerthas or something similar which I think is the area near Ishgard. The rest of the regions will probably be opened up as the game progresses through patches. Northlands wasn't open right from the start in FFXI either :P



Edited, Aug 14th 2010 4:12pm by croythegreat
#10 Aug 14 2010 at 2:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
MetalSmith wrote:
On the other hand, the feedback threads are very civil, people generally keep on topic and post not in reply to others but simply their own feelings towards the game directly to the developers. Either it is very well moderated or people have had a healthy respect for forums and threads with a very specific topic.


I'm not in, but I've actually heard the opposite of this from several people; that the forums are flooded with unmoderated whining and complaining people from "that other game".

I wish I could actually see the forums for myself.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#11 Aug 14 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Just to give you an idea: the current stage of beta has roughly 10k posts in the feedback forums that are, for the most part, on topic. Whether people are civil towards SE or not i cannot say, I don't bother reading through each post in the feedback forums, I don't think anyone does.

The general discussion, on the other hand, is about 50k posts on 148 pages of whining and ******** and moaning and cheesecake.

That's right, cheesecake.

Top 3 most replied to threads:

Are we going to see [insert aspect] from xi make it into XIV: 8033 posts.

Photo Thread: 5734 posts

*puts a piece of cheesecake in the middle of the room*: 1228 posts

just to give you an idea :P
#12 Aug 14 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
MetalSmith wrote:
On the other hand, the feedback threads are very civil, people generally keep on topic and post not in reply to others but simply their own feelings towards the game directly to the developers. Either it is very well moderated or people have had a healthy respect for forums and threads with a very specific topic.


I'm not in, but I've actually heard the opposite of this from several people; that the forums are flooded with unmoderated whining and complaining people from "that other game".

I wish I could actually see the forums for myself.


There are two forums for FFXIV, and two for FFXIV "fansite" Each has a "feedback" forum where topics are posted by S-E reps, and a "general" forum where users post topics.

The feedback threads are very civil, but I think they are heavily moderated. Literally no one is off topic or mega ranty, so I think they just delete posts that don't fit.

The general forum (ie, to talk among players, not read by devs) is a cesspool of stupid.
#13 Aug 14 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
MetalSmith wrote:
On the other hand, the feedback threads are very civil, people generally keep on topic and post not in reply to others but simply their own feelings towards the game directly to the developers. Either it is very well moderated or people have had a healthy respect for forums and threads with a very specific topic.


I'm not in, but I've actually heard the opposite of this from several people; that the forums are flooded with unmoderated whining and complaining people from "that other game".

I wish I could actually see the forums for myself.


There are two forums for FFXIV, and two for FFXIV "fansite" Each has a "feedback" forum where topics are posted by S-E reps, and a "general" forum where users post topics.

The feedback threads are very civil, but I think they are heavily moderated. Literally no one is off topic or mega ranty, so I think they just delete posts that don't fit.

The general forum (ie, to talk among players, not read by devs) is a cesspool of stupid.


I feel better knowing this is the case then. Thanks for alleviating my concerns.

...in America.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#14 Aug 14 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
Concerning people that think SE has broken the party system:

XIV beta has accelerated XP rates for physical levels, and probably for the skill levels as well. In other words, the people who are simply using beta as a free to play game are upset that there is no reason to party. They are not testing party systems because of this.

I don't think SE is getting much feedback on parties because people can't get past this point.
#15 Aug 14 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Party situation is in a really weird place. I think Guild Leves (in its current form) is more a crutch for party play just because of the design fundamentals in regards to the cool down timers (I severly hope they are changing this around or at least greatly expanding the amount of leves you can partake in a given cool down period). I Really, really like Guild Leves and I hope they open them up more without damaging the eventual economy (most your gil comes from Guild Leves and you occasionally get items which of course upsets crafters economy). But in its current form, its like FFXI soliciting Assault as its biggest gameplay asset. When you can't even play or use the games biggest gameplay asset more then half the time, it really can't be considered one imo. Really, really hope they change this.

I think once we get people more spread out in the other two starter regions, get potentially more guild leves to use and premanent characters without fear of a wipe, I think parties will start forming on their own.
#16 Aug 14 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I'm interested to know how far you get before partying starts becoming highly encouraged. At first people partied in XI around 10 or so, and that has gradually moved up to 15-20 or higher. With the ease of soloing, some people may even wait till their 30s to party.

I just hope they make some changes in the beta to force people to party for a while so that they can get some feedback on whether parties are working correctly. If no one wants to party then they can't get good feedback on the party system and any changes that need to be made for retail.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Aug 14 2010 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Partying is actually already more useful in the early levels then FFXI ever had till like level 15, the problem is that its also infinitely easier to solo then FFXI was. Was playing on Thamauterge last night and I can already function as a situational or full time healer if I want to at lvl 4 with the spell sacrifice. I couldn't be a proper healer for party play in FFXI till lvl 11ish to lvl 15 and that was on the jobs that actually made curing their business.

What they need to do is increase the rewards for doing things in larger groups on guild leves (so people don't just go and solo them for the **** of it and thus can't use it later in a larger group if they wanted), make it easier for someone to initiate more then just 3 at time and then properly balance skill ups in grind sessions so that partying is preferred but not absolutely neccesary. Right now certain classes get better skill and experience from solo then party play because of how screwed up the skill up balance is between mages and melee users. They do all that and I guarentee you partying will come naturally, and the people that want to be anti-social or don't have much time, can go and do stuff with the time they have availible.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)