Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Large Role-Playing Community to Vote on Home ServerFollow

#1 Aug 17 2010 at 11:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Ever heard of the Role-Playing Coalition of FFXIV? I exchanged some e-mails with the group's founding member, and he says the group has big plans for role players planning on moving to Eorzea. The group's first task is to choose a server to call home -- while encouraging other RP groups to follow them!

Read more in this feature about the RPC of FFXIV.

Edited, Aug 17th 2010 11:11pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#2 Aug 18 2010 at 12:25 AM Rating: Decent
**
577 posts
Roleplaying, eh? Sounds hot.

...oh THAT type of roleplaying. Nevermind.

You knew someone was going to make the joke. Might as well get it out of the way early.

Edited, Aug 18th 2010 2:26am by khorbin
____________________________
"So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
Evil, be thou my good."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Download Eorzea Clock for your android phone! Available FREE on the Android Market now!
#3 Aug 18 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.

Edit:
Quote:


The link is a bit broken, Thayos. Need to take out http://ffxiv.zam.com from the beginning.

Edited, Aug 18th 2010 2:17am by RayneZ
#4 Aug 18 2010 at 1:09 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
RayneZ wrote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


I agree with this. Roleplayers are like <insert religion that isn't yours>. I don't care what they do, as long as they're not trying to involve me in it. If all the Roleplayers can agree on a server, that's great for them AND great for those of us who will want to choose a different server.
#5 Aug 18 2010 at 2:00 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
RayneZ wrote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


I agree with this. Roleplayers are like <insert religion that isn't yours>. I don't care what they do, as long as they're not trying to involve me in it. If all the Roleplayers can agree on a server, that's great for them AND great for those of us who will want to choose a different server.


I can't tell if this is sarcasm or serious.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#6 Aug 18 2010 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
RayneZ wrote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


I agree with this. Roleplayers are like <insert religion that isn't yours>. I don't care what they do, as long as they're not trying to involve me in it. If all the Roleplayers can agree on a server, that's great for them AND great for those of us who will want to choose a different server.


I can't tell if this is sarcasm or serious.

Of course it's serious. We're talking about role-players, here.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#7 Aug 18 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
5 posts
Quote:
I agree with this. Roleplayers are like <insert religion that isn't yours>. I don't care what they do, as long as they're not trying to involve me in it. If all the Roleplayers can agree on a server, that's great for them AND great for those of us who will want to choose a different server.


Not sure what type of RP'ers you've had to deal with in the past, however, from my experiance, RP'ers generally keep to themselves to a point where you wouldn't even know we are there most of the time.

In fact, FFXI had a good bit of RP take place without most folks realizing (since most of the time we RP'ed in /party chat so as not to be 'griefed' by other players)

Also, I've never seen a RP'er try to involve someone else who wasn't into RP. Anyone I've ever RP'd with has always been with other RP'ers. However, even when I am polite as possible when keeping to myself and respecting other players, those players who don't care for RP will still go out of their way to heckle and grief me.

I feel that the main reason other individuals have so much hostility towards RP'ers is because they do not understand us. You would think that in a more 'progressive' age that others would be more tolerant to differences such as these. To summarize, RP'ers are nothing more than a troupe of actors/actresses. Society doesn't seem to have a problem with 'real life' theater, so I can never understand why others have a problem with me role playing (especially when I am keeping to myself, only to have a person go out of their way to make my life as miserable as possible)?
____________________________
How To Role Play - A Beginner's Guide
#8 Aug 18 2010 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
#9 Aug 18 2010 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Geffe the Meaningless wrote:


Don't you mean this and this?
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#10 Aug 18 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
2 posts
First off I'd like to thank Zam for publishing this article. It definitely shows dedication to represent all members of the FFXIV community and an open mind. I'll certainly start pointing all my WoW and FFXI roleplaying and non-roleplaying friends to the site! I'd also like to thank Castiel for his tireless dedication to the RPC. It's difficult to represent 400-some people but he manages it very well.

Just to give people some background info on me, I am very into missions and end game activities. My social shell is made up of a group of friends who just happen to be able to do all the big end game events together. In FFXI I am a Freelance Roleplayer which means I roleplay in my spare time with people I meet who I know are roleplayers or at scheduled events.

When I first joined end game I heard a lot of the same stereotypes as are being listed. I can remember a few comments by members regarding intimate fantasy relationships, being delusional, and that roleplayers are anti-social dorks. However, in time I was able to help show that these stereotypes are just that. Now a lot (if not all) my linkshell welcomes people with roleplaying backgrounds and realizes there are a lot of excellent players within the community who are serious about the game.

I don't roleplay during parties, missions, or end game events. Honestly it bothers me to no end when people use internet shorthand, talk during cut scenes, and use improper spelling and grammar without even trying to get it right. By the same token I can see how it would bother others when they start roleplaying when they're trying to get things done or in highly populated areas. Also, roleplay lines in macros are just plain irritating. However, this is more an issue of being polite and respecting the different ways people choose to play the game.

Also, I don't do "adult" type roleplay. I have a wonderful man in real life who I have a beautiful little baby girl with. I'm very happy with my situation and as a mom I take my job as a role model very seriously. My significant other roleplays and our characters in FFXI have been married nearly four years. I do see that my imaginary characters would want their own life and family in the game. If any of my friends I've had for more then two years from FFXI wanted to roleplay a relationship with one of my characters they would have to make sure it was okay with my significant other and realize it's just a pretend romance. A nice fade to black when appropriate is okay by me and I think a lot of other roleplayers feel the same way. I do acknowledge that some people are into adult roleplay and I simply ask that they don't do graphic things in front of me. I don't want to see it and my character will not react kindly to towards that happening in front of her. The great thing is everyone can set their preferences and expectations about roleplay on the RPC forums in our Directory: http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

What I do enjoy about roleplay is the chance to act out my character as if they are a living, breathing person in that world. It gives you a whole different view of the world once you have to deal with the "realities" of living in a war torn era where technology is relatively new and using magic is commonplace. Being able to come up with a story for my character and sharing it with other roleplayers is another great aspect of roleplay. Some of the roleplayers I've known in the last 6+ years have become life long friends. My boyfriend often says that roleplaying is a lot like being a kid again and inviting all your friends to play in the backyard. It's fun to see what type of character your friends come up with and interact with their creations. We have a lot of writers and actors who use it for inspiration as well as Dungeons and Dragons fans who like to see their creations come to life.

However, if roleplay is just not your thing then I respect that as well. As stated, I'm in a social end game shell in FFXI that is 100% out of character. There are a few of my friends who are just outright uncomfortable with roleplay and I still think their awesome people. When I invite my roleplay friends to join in our events I expect them not to roleplay during that time out of respect for those that don't enjoy it. I also expect my friends that don't roleplay to be polite to those who do and not bash or flame them. Honestly there is no reason why people who roleplay and those who don't can't get along as we all have one thing in common - a love of the game. I know a lot of people don't share that opinion though and I think to each their own.

I invite anyone who is interested in roleplay to go ahead and join in the RPC forums! Everyone is very friendly there and will be happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks for reading my rant and happy gaming!
#11 Aug 18 2010 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
RayneZ wrote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


I agree with this. Roleplayers are like <insert religion that isn't yours>. I don't care what they do, as long as they're not trying to involve me in it. If all the Roleplayers can agree on a server, that's great for them AND great for those of us who will want to choose a different server.


I can't tell if this is sarcasm or serious.


Dead serious. Some role players are very innocuous and some are very militant and get mad and make a fuss when other people don't want to join in their role play games. I don't play MMOs to role play and spout a bunch of thees and thous, so I'd rather not be around a "serious" group of role players. I look at any large group of people who are looking to get together for the expressed purpose of role playing the same way I'd look at a large serious group of religious folks. Good for them that they can be together, better for me if I can be where they're not.

The fact that even expressing my preference led to my post being sub defaulted should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm sure that most of these folks just want to do their own thing with like minded people and don't really care if other people take part or approve, but the 5-10% who attach the "RPG" suffix to "MMO" and insist that any one who isn't role playing is "doing it wrong" are the ones I want no part of.



Edited, Aug 18th 2010 11:31am by KarlHungis
#12 Aug 18 2010 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
*
78 posts
Just like Brin and Seraphine have said ... not all roleplayers are like the stereotype you've apparently dealt with. >_> I roleplayed for four years on FFXI and I also participated in end game linkshells and was very social outside of my roleplaying linkshell.. Considering that most people on Asura assumed there were no roleplayers on the server, even as we were very active among our group, should tell you just how "loud" we can get. Honestly, that's like saying you aren't going to join a server because there are end-game groups on it, or that there is a large casual linkshell forming on it. It's just a group of players minding their own business, so chill. No one's after your babies or your wimmins.
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#13 Aug 18 2010 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Baron von Aveline wrote:
Just like Brin and Seraphine have said ... not all roleplayers are like the stereotype you've apparently dealt with. >_> I roleplayed for four years on FFXI and I also participated in end game linkshells and was very social outside of my roleplaying linkshell.. Considering that most people on Asura assumed there were no roleplayers on the server, even as we were very active among our group, should tell you just how "loud" we can get. Honestly, that's like saying you aren't going to join a server because there are end-game groups on it, or that there is a large casual linkshell forming on it. It's just a group of players minding their own business, so chill. No one's after your babies or your wimmins.


I'm not here trying to keep people from Role playing. I was just under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this is a discussion forum and I was just expressing my opinion that role players getting together is good for every one, for various reasons. Sorry if that offended some one, because it wasn't mean to be a rebuke of roleplayers. Any time you have a large group of like minded people, whether role players, hard core raiders, PvPers, or any other dedicated group, they have a tendency to make a footprint which defines the way that the game "should" be played. I'd just rather not be a part of that server because I have no intention of role playing and no desire to aggravate a whole server of people who want to.
#14 Aug 18 2010 at 9:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
281 posts
ZAM vs. Roleplaying World? LMAO jp jp. I've never really had much experience with role playing, i think i subconciously dabbled in it a bit when I first started FFXI in '03, but I dunno..I'm all about immersing myself into the game and seeing it as a different life instead of JUST a game..but roleplaying seems iffy. Doubt I'd do it. Plus I bet my GF would stop having *** with me since she doesn't like MMOs to begin with. Cheers!
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#15 Aug 18 2010 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
I think most people do a slight bit of casual RPing even if it's just a simple joke here n there about your chosen nation, race, etc. I pretended to hate certain Sandy/Windy people in my LS because I had to represent Bastok with pride! Ya know, that kind of thing...along with threatening to eat tarus or telling my elvaan friend "Don't touch my tail you'll make it dirty." I usually get a kick out of that stuff...but yea the really serious, official RPing wouldn't be for me. No big deal to me if that's what ya like to do though.
____________________________

#16 Aug 18 2010 at 9:48 AM Rating: Excellent
*
78 posts
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
I'm not here trying to keep people from Role playing. I was just under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this is a discussion forum and I was just expressing my opinion that role players getting together is good for every one, for various reasons.


Everyone is entitled to their arbitrary opinions, and I never said otherwise. I wasn't even quoting you, I was responding to the negative criticism of roleplaying in general on this thread. Honestly, if roleplayers grouping up on the same server keeps away the people that take themselves way too seriously, then I'm even more for it. ^_^b
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#17 Aug 18 2010 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
KarlHungis the Prohpet wrote:
Baron von Aveline wrote:
Just like Brin and Seraphine have said ... not all roleplayers are like the stereotype you've apparently dealt with. >_> I roleplayed for four years on FFXI and I also participated in end game linkshells and was very social outside of my roleplaying linkshell.. Considering that most people on Asura assumed there were no roleplayers on the server, even as we were very active among our group, should tell you just how "loud" we can get. Honestly, that's like saying you aren't going to join a server because there are end-game groups on it, or that there is a large casual linkshell forming on it. It's just a group of players minding their own business, so chill. No one's after your babies or your wimmins.


I'm not here trying to keep people from Role playing. I was just under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this is a discussion forum and I was just expressing my opinion that role players getting together is good for every one, for various reasons. Sorry if that offended some one, because it wasn't mean to be a rebuke of roleplayers. Any time you have a large group of like minded people, whether role players, hard core raiders, PvPers, or any other dedicated group, they have a tendency to make a footprint which defines the way that the game "should" be played. I'd just rather not be a part of that server because I have no intention of role playing and no desire to aggravate a whole server of people who want to.


I totally respect your opinion and have no issues with individuals discussing that they do not care for role-playing. We were only responding to posts such as your's because it seems that there are individuals who have a stereotype of role-players that is simply not true. In fact, if someone is suggesting that you are not playing the game correctly because you are not joining in on the RP does not sound like a role-player at all. That sounds more like an elitist know-it-all. I can assure you that those are not the kind of individuals that I would allow in any RP LS that I would run. I've role-played on FFXI for many years, and have never witnessed any role-player acting out in the way you are describing. It is unfortunate that you had to deal with any individuals like that as they can clearly give legitimate role-players a bad name.

I can tell you right now that the common role-player does think the game should play any certain way. In fact, role-players are the most non-elitist type individuals I have ever met in a MMO. When I'm in an exp pty, it's all about exp'ing. I do not role-play when I am doing anything with the non-RP community (be it exp pty or end game content). Those people that you would see putting ridiculous '/em' text in their spells/abilities macros are not role-players.

I think the biggest problem here is that 80% of the non-RP community has an idea in their head of what they think a role-player 'is', but it couldn't be farther from the truth. I am not here to inhibit anyone's opinion (as I respect all opinions). I am only here to inform the community and hope that individuals finally realize that their idea of what a role-player is pretty far off.

The only medium that I role-play in is MMOs, as society deems role-playing as 'weird and nerdy', so everything outside of video games I keep pretty normal (normal in terms of what society defines). I role-play through video games because I had always imagined that other gamers would understand where I'm coming from, since society also deems adult gamers as 'weird and nerdy'. For me to be an adult who loves video games, I find it difficult to judge others in video games that society might find odd, as I feel that would be very hypocritical. However, this is just my opinion.
____________________________
How To Role Play - A Beginner's Guide
#18 Aug 18 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
**
281 posts
Quote:

I totally respect your opinion and have no issues with individuals discussing that they do not care for role-playing. We were only responding to posts such as your's because it seems that there are individuals who have a stereotype of role-players that is simply not true. In fact, if someone is suggesting that you are not playing the game correctly because you are not joining in on the RP does not sound like a role-player at all. That sounds more like an elitist know-it-all. I can assure you that those are not the kind of individuals that I would allow in any RP LS that I would run. I've role-played on FFXI for many years, and have never witnessed any role-player acting out in the way you are describing. It is unfortunate that you had to deal with any individuals like that as they can clearly give legitimate role-players a bad name.

I can tell you right now that the common role-player does think the game should play any certain way. In fact, role-players are the most non-elitist type individuals I have ever met in a MMO. When I'm in an exp pty, it's all about exp'ing. I do not role-play when I am doing anything with the non-RP community (be it exp pty or end game content). Those people that you would see putting ridiculous '/em' text in their spells/abilities macros are not role-players.

I think the biggest problem here is that 80% of the non-RP community has an idea in their head of what they think a role-player 'is', but it couldn't be farther from the truth. I am not here to inhibit anyone's opinion (as I respect all opinions). I am only here to inform the community and hope that individuals finally realize that their idea of what a role-player is pretty far off.

The only medium that I role-play in is MMOs, as society deems role-playing as 'weird and nerdy', so everything outside of video games I keep pretty normal (normal in terms of what society defines). I role-play through video games because I had always imagined that other gamers would understand where I'm coming from, since society also deems adult gamers as 'weird and nerdy'. For me to be an adult who loves video games, I find it difficult to judge others in video games that society might find odd, as I feel that would be very hypocritical. However, this is just my opinion.


Respect. I think we'll all be more open minded towards role players in FFXIV now that we have a good idea of what to expect from an actual RP'er :)
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#19 Aug 18 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Excellent
4 posts
Mason stepped into the room, his eyes darting to find the lunch table with Role-Players.

Just kidding.

Great article. It's awesome to see Role-Playing mentioned at all, especially on front page news. Keep it up ZAM! Castiel did a good job with representing the RPC.

Brin I like your last point. It's so odd that average gamers poke fun of role-players, when society pokes fun of average gamers! We're all checking the forum of an article for a time consuming online video game that hasn't even been released here- to keep it in perspective.

Ignorance tends to be the main reason for confusion/misunderstanding/conflict between the average gamer and a role-player. Sometimes that ignorance is willful, and those who are willfully ignorant make my brain go AAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHH!

Ahem.

I will not speak for the whole community, but I for one never seen serious role-players use Shakespearian dialog. MMO is not a Renaissance fair, and if you did that my character would think yours has metal problems. It's little things like these that really put the wedge between our community and the general public. Part of the RPC's goal is to merge into the general community. This article accomplishes just that and provides a space for conversation. I myself hope to dissolve some myths and tell people what Role-Playing is really all about in my own little way. I really hope that at least one person walks away from this thinking "I learned something new today." *que The More You Know music*

Lastly, I'd like to echo Brin's point. We're all gamers here, MMO junkies, FF enthusiasts. Let's not harp too much on each other for slight differences in play style. We all share the love for the game, let's play in harmony.
#20 Aug 18 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,622 posts
Quote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


Do you find NPCs annoying with their constant in-character speech? Or you'd rather they talk to you about that latest funny youtube video? :P

To me roleplaying is simply avoiding references to real life as much as possible. After all, MMOs are a way to take a break from real life.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#21 Aug 18 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
I, for one, find RPers to be incredibly offensive and distracting to my casual gameplay. I'm here for a reason, dammit, and that's to play this game without the obnoxious storytelling of a group of idiots who don't know how to play the game! I mean, really! Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try selling my loot to a vendor while a group of eloquent ***hats go on about their latest adventure? It's just so frustrating and completely takes away from my gameplay experience!

/sarcasm
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#22 Aug 18 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
**
281 posts
Quote:
I, for one, find RPers to be incredibly offensive and distracting to my casual gameplay. I'm here for a reason, dammit, and that's to play this game without the obnoxious storytelling of a group of idiots who don't know how to play the game! I mean, really! Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try selling my loot to a vendor while a group of eloquent ***hats go on about their latest adventure? It's just so frustrating and completely takes away from my gameplay experience!


LMFAO you had me going for a second, I wasn't going to say anything since I don't really have a strong opinion on the subject, but I was ready for some screaming and shoe throwing on some other people's part
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#23 Aug 18 2010 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
Quote:
I'm not really into that kinda stuff, so I hope they don't do it all the time or only when they make their own parties. In fact, I know it's only about 500 people but, I might just stay clear of their server. No offense intended.


Do you find NPCs annoying with their constant in-character speech? Or you'd rather they talk to you about that latest funny youtube video? :P

To me roleplaying is simply avoiding references to real life as much as possible. After all, MMOs are a way to take a break from real life.


For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references. I play games to enjoy myself and not worry about the stress of RL, but that doesn't mean the real world doesn't exist. I'm not going to avoid talking about another game, movie, what the Sox are up to (not much, lately), etc. I can respect that some people like to fully immerse themselves into their character, but I'm not going to get into anything further than punting the nearest Taru Lalafell. It's probably why I'm such a dry D&D player, as well, since I'm usually either routing the enemy or sleeping in town.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#24 Aug 18 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
**
281 posts
Quote:
For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references. I play games to enjoy myself and not worry about the stress of RL, but that doesn't mean the real world doesn't exist. I'm not going to avoid talking about another game, movie, what the Sox are up to (not much, lately), etc. I can respect that some people like to fully immerse themselves into their character, but I'm not going to get into anything further than punting the nearest Taru Lalafell. It's probably why I'm such a dry D&D player, as well, since I'm usually either routing the enemy or sleeping in town.


Couldn't have said it better myself, o'Captain my Captain
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#25 Aug 18 2010 at 11:06 AM Rating: Excellent
*
78 posts
Quote:
For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references.


Yeah that is just so weird that anyone would expect that of total strangers. >_> I don't think those people are the majority of the RP community. I think those people are somewhat insane.
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#26 Aug 18 2010 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
4 posts
That's odd. I've never seen Role-Players rope others into actively participating. Does this happen often? Was this in FFXI? I'm only speaking from my perspective here, from what I observed in my 6+ years of Role-Playing. That just comes off as odd to me. If that happened to you multiple times with actual roleplayers, that just goes to show how diverse this community can get.

Typically I (and most people I know) wouldn't try to actively Role-Play with general players because we get that some people aren't into that at all. Of course there might be some passive interaction, our characters are aware of people around them so we might mention something or other about our environment. If you are an active part of it, then we will notice you and not ignore you completely just because you don't RP.

Then again if we were to simply ignore/avoid everyone we'd get criticized for being elitist, reclusive, etc.. There is a fine line here. I wont expect anyone to be ready to Role-Play, or even want to but at the same time I wont make an active effort to ignore my surroundings either.

Of course if anyone lets me know in a /tell that they'd like to join us or try it out I'd have nothing against it. There have been multiple times when I RP'ed and was joined by a non-roleplayer. It's very, very cool.
#27 Aug 18 2010 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
**
412 posts
I remember my clan in WoW called Team Penguin. It was in an RP server. Some girl tried to report our name because it didn't fit the roleplaying.
Unfortunately for her, Penguins exist in Warcraft so we kept our name.
Great day for non roleplayers.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#28 Aug 18 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Commander Aveline wrote:
Quote:
For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references.


Yeah that is just so weird that anyone would expect that of total strangers. >_> I don't think those people are the majority of the RP community. I think those people are somewhat insane.


I apologize if I seem combative about it, I mean no offense. I don't hold RPing against anyone, it's just not something I feel I'm creative enough with to keep up. Haha I'm also a bad liar IRL, and I now wonder if the two are related.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#29 Aug 18 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Sephiroth will surely win.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#30 Aug 18 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Excellent
*
78 posts
Haha no, no offense taken at all, I just mean... wow o.o Trying to make everyone around you join your storyline is nuts. Sorry you had to deal with that.
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#31 Aug 18 2010 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
455 posts
Most of the RPer's I've dealt with in my time running RP groups across multiple games, have always been a little afraid to even RP in /say for fear of being harassed about it so I have no idea where this fear of RPers trying to drag the unwashed masses into their diabolical plots comes from. Most of us do keep to ourselves to the point that when we are invited to parties or end game events you'd never know we're RPers. I had multiple 75's on XI, did end game activities, and partied *a lot* and never used a cheesy party macro, tried to RP with a non-RPer or anything.

All that aside, I am very happy about the RPC since what pretty much was killing RP in FFXI was how hard it was to find people.
____________________________
Spear-Frost, a Fantasy Graphic Novel
http://spear-frost.com

Caedrian - Keetah - Kaliet - Fenrir Server
#32 Aug 18 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
PLDXavier, Defender of Justice wrote:
For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references. I play games to enjoy myself and not worry about the stress of RL, but that doesn't mean the real world doesn't exist. I'm not going to avoid talking about another game, movie, what the Sox are up to (not much, lately), etc. I can respect that some people like to fully immerse themselves into their character, but I'm not going to get into anything further than punting the nearest Taru Lalafell. It's probably why I'm such a dry D&D player, as well, since I'm usually either routing the enemy or sleeping in town.


Sounds like players who are into hardcore role-play (which only makes up a certain percentage of our community). As Mason said before, I can't speak for the entire community. All I can tell you is how I role-play, and what I've seen from other role-players in my 5 year experience of role-playing.

I've never played D&D, I've never done any 'table-top' RP. The only role-playing I have ever done has been in FFXI and City of Heroes. In FFXI, I had multiple Linkshells. I had a RP LS, a social LS, and an end-game LS. Unless someone asked and I told them, as far as my friends in my social and end-game LS were concerned, they didn't even know I role-played. I keep all my role-playing for my role-play LS. When we got together to role-play, we tried to find private areas and would communicate via '/party' chat. I've never really RP'd via '/say'. From time to time I'd use /emotes, but I figured if someone had that much of problem with seeing my blue text, they could either /blist me or filter out /emote text. When I was harassed by players who would make fun of me when they figured out I was role-playing, I wouldn't get mad at them, I would just /blist them....simple as that.

Outside of role-play, I did everything that the common player would do in FFXI. I had good subjobs for my DRG main all lvl'd, I had equipment sets for DoT and WS's. In fact, I usually surprised folks I pty'd with on the numbers I would parse up on my DRG.

PhoenixOmbre wrote:
Do you find NPCs annoying with their constant in-character speech? Or you'd rather they talk to you about that latest funny youtube video? :P

To me roleplaying is simply avoiding references to real life as much as possible. After all, MMOs are a way to take a break from real life.


Since NPCs in the city are usually static, I didn't really involve them in much of my role-play. I would only reference their name from time to time. Of course I prefer that the NPCs talk the way they do because it helps maintain the '4th wall'. I enjoy being immersed in the games that I am in just like I enjoy being immersed in movies, books, etc.

____________________________
How To Role Play - A Beginner's Guide
#33 Aug 18 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
351 posts
Wait, the argument here against roleplayers is that they'll try to rope you into RPing with them? Heh. What happens if you say no? Do they /slap you?
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#34 Aug 18 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Commander Aveline wrote:
Quote:
For me, it's a combination of being expected to reciprocate RP when surrounded by RPers and avoiding RL references.


Yeah that is just so weird that anyone would expect that of total strangers. >_> I don't think those people are the majority of the RP community. I think those people are somewhat insane.


I don't think any one ever implied they're the majority. It's just that they're more likely to go where other RPers are, which means that wherever RPers *aren't* tends to be a safe place to get away from them.

Personally, I've never had a bad experience with RPers in FFXI, but I had numerous bad experiences with them in Everquest. There was a RP guild on my server called "Drow" (although I find it mind boggling that a RP guild would use the name of a fictional race from an entirely different fictional universe, that's neither here nor there). Not only were they obnoxious in person, but they went out of their way to be obnoxious to people who weren't even around them. In one case they paged a GM because I had the audacity to be soloing for experience in a scenic location they wanted to use for a RP outing of some sort (the aviak "torch" tower in Lake Rathe, for any one who's played EQ). Never mind that I was there first, the fact that I wouldn't leave or partake in their role play was apparently a violation of their imaginary TOS. In other cases they would "correct" any one who made the mistake of making RL references in general chat or even asking questions in a non RP way (stuff like "Where's the warrior trainer in Kunark?" or "Is any one camping the Ghoul Lord?").

I hated those bastards, not because of what they did, but because they had the attitude that every one who wasn't as into their little world within a world was some how intruding on "their" game. I'm sure that probably 90% of that guild were nothing but nice, helpful people who just wanted to blow off steam, but whatever tiny % that was obnoxious seemed to be in charge, or at least most vocal, and they ruined the reputation of that guild on the server. When I played WoW, I was genuinely pleased at the existence of official RP servers. RPers could go there, to a server where people were not allowed to talk about Real life in general chat, couldn't have silly character names, etc, and the rest of us could be left in peace without having to deal with the minority of a minority who were jerks.

I just don't want to ever deal with those people again. I'm not trying to say that any one posting here is like "those people" but I guarantee you that the prospect of an unofficial RP server will attract "those people" and I know whatever server that is, it's a server I don't want to be on.
#35 Aug 18 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
w34v3r wrote:
Wait, the argument here against roleplayers is that they'll try to rope you into RPing with them? Heh. What happens if you say no? Do they /slap you?


No, but I have been booted from a party of RPers for not going along with their act. Most were from the same LS and my friends and I noted to avoid them whenever possible after that.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#36 Aug 18 2010 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
PLDXavier, Defender of Justice wrote:
w34v3r wrote:
Wait, the argument here against roleplayers is that they'll try to rope you into RPing with them? Heh. What happens if you say no? Do they /slap you?


No, but I have been booted from a party of RPers for not going along with their act. Most were from the same LS and my friends and I noted to avoid them whenever possible after that.

Those are some pretty hardcore RPers. I was in a RP LS on FFXI, but I wouldn't do it in a party unless it was a party full of people from that linkshell. On the other hand, our static DRK had to have comments in every WS & JA macro. His Flee macro was something about watching everyone else die from a safe distance. He did his job well, but ****** off a few non-RP people when we partied.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#37 Aug 18 2010 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
Quote:

Not sure what type of RP'ers you've had to deal with in the past, however, from my experiance, RP'ers generally keep to themselves to a point where you wouldn't even know we are there most of the time.

In fact, FFXI had a good bit of RP take place without most folks realizing (since most of the time we RP'ed in /party chat so as not to be 'griefed' by other players)

Also, I've never seen a RP'er try to involve someone else who wasn't into RP. Anyone I've ever RP'd with has always been with other RP'ers. However, even when I am polite as possible when keeping to myself and respecting other players, those players who don't care for RP will still go out of their way to heckle and grief me.

I feel that the main reason other individuals have so much hostility towards RP'ers is because they do not understand us. You would think that in a more 'progressive' age that others would be more tolerant to differences such as these. To summarize, RP'ers are nothing more than a troupe of actors/actresses. Society doesn't seem to have a problem with 'real life' theater, so I can never understand why others have a problem with me role playing (especially when I am keeping to myself, only to have a person go out of their way to make my life as miserable as possible)?



See brin

those people who grief people are the same people who troll threads :p
ignore them because they don't count anyways

I am not an RP'er but have been in a pt with a few and made friends with them. Personally if
that's how people have fun, i join them and do my best. As long as they are cool with me going out
of character.

It was fun and added more immersion to the game.
#38 Aug 18 2010 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
*
78 posts
Quote:
I just don't want to ever deal with those people again. I'm not trying to say that any one posting here is like "those people" but I guarantee you that the prospect of an unofficial RP server will attract "those people" and I know whatever server that is, it's a server I don't want to be on.


Yes, but you're assuming the RP community would want those people or accept them. If they can't find a group on an RP server that wants their BS, where do you think they're going to go? My point is, and like others have stated.. those aren't representatives of the RP community, those are trolls & you are going to find trolls no matter where you go. So if you are saying that whatever server has trolls is a server you don't want to be on...
____________________________
Aveline Blue | Miqo'te swordswoman of Ul'dah, leader of TALE. Proud member of the Immortal Flames!
The Adventure League of Eorzea: A FFXIV roleplaying linkshell.
FFXIV Character Name Generator
#39 Aug 18 2010 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
*
77 posts
First of all, thanks to Thayos for going through the trouble of getting this information and posting it. Second, thanks to Pikko for helping set it up to begin with! I can’t tell you how big of a deal this is to the RP community. We’re used to being entirely ignored so this is a really huge step in the right direction.

I had a longer response prepared but I guess the others have beat me to it all and have summed everything up nicely as is.

One of the objectives of the Role-Play Coalition is to help bridge the gap between RPers and non-RPers. That doesn’t mean we want to force people to RP. We just want everyone to understand us. And we really hope everyone will at least give us that chance, especially since some of our projects extend beyond our chosen server (the newspaper similar to the Vana’diel Tribune for instance).

We realize not everyone likes or cares about RP. Which is yet another reason we will be announcing our server choice. It’ll give everyone a chance to avoid that server if they so wish. Regardless of our server choice, we’ll still be a minority though. Just a much more significant minority. We’ll also still be doing all of the other things the game has to offer. Believe it or not, we don’t like spending all day sitting in a tavern talking xD. However, we do intend to be more visible this time around. By that, I mean that we probably won’t be quite as “scared” to RP in /say a little more often than we did in FFXI. Of course, we will continue being respectful in crowded areas where non-RPers may be though.

To expand on what the article stated about our future newspaper: We are currently working on something very similar to the Vana’diel Tribune. I’ll go so far as to say the physical appearance and content will actually be -better-. We’re hoping this newspaper (name to be revealed later) will help not only entertain non-RPers, but also reveal to you all what our world really consists of and who we actually are. So look forward to a teaser to come out possibly next week, the week after at the very latest. For those completely unfamiliar with the Vana’diel Tribune, you can find old issues here to get an idea of what we’re planning.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV Role-play Coalition (RPC): www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com
#40 Aug 18 2010 at 2:57 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
Nice article, it's great to see an attempt to show a bit more that the roleplayers are, and maybe help kill a few of the rumors :)

Of course it's not good that some people have had bad experience with roleplayers who tried to force it on others, or griefed non-roleplayers, but as Aveline said, it's wrong to expect that that sort of behavior is accepted by the rest of the community. Especially in games with no official roleplay server, most roleplayers understand that not everyone is interested, and I'm yet to meet someone who would try to force it on others. Most are fine with not roleplaying in groups, unless the group is all roleplayers, and, believe it or not, there's actually a lot of roleplayers who enjoy playing the game too, running instances OOC, etc.

When people say that they don't like roleplayers because a few cause grief is like saying that you don't like non-roleplayers because some will go out of their way to interrupt every kind of rp they see, or saying that you don't like gamers in general because some enjoy ganking lowbies for hours straight. You should never judge an entire group based on the action of a few, especially if those few are not even an accepted part of the rest of the community.


I hope maybe we can help clear out some of the misunderstandings and the misinformtation about roleplayers in general, so that we can all get along ;)
#41 Aug 18 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
3 posts
Nice article!

As mentioned, our goal is not to bother anyone, but to be able to play (and roleplay) together, just like a group of D&D players tend to sit around the same table for their game.

Also realize that, while some of you may have had a bad experience with RPers in, say, WoW... Know that many RPers also did.

I had an awful experience with RPers in WoW myself, even though I -am- a RPer. The WoW community is just awful all over. One important point however is that they DID have Dedicated RP servers where RPers were in their right to expect everyone else to RP or at least to not bother them while they were RPing. Why go on a RP server if not to RP, you know? Same goes for PVP servers... you didn't see any carebear going there.

FF XIV however is an entirely different thing. There is not going to be any Dedicated RP server and, while the RPC will pick one for us to get together in, this will in No Way make it officially dedicated and it is our hope that everyone treats each other with respect, whether they are RPers or not.

Trolls are indeed everywhere, and if a RP Troll annoys you, you can always tell the RPC so we know that we have trolls in our midst. Last thing we want is idiots spoiling our enjoyment of the game. And I do mean "ours". The only "us and them" is between the payers who are there to enjoy FF XIV, and the Trolls and Griefers who are there to enjoy spoiling other players' enjoyment.

Lastly, just look at how far they went to make immersion easy. Eorzea is beautiful and it's not a huge step between playing and roleplaying. Whether or not you take that step, how those who do and those who don't act toward each other is simply a matter of respect and maturity.
#42 Aug 18 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
*
183 posts
I guess I don't really understand the problem with RPing in FFXIV. Wouldn't anything other than talking about real world news be considered RPing since you are playing an RPG. Your character may just like to shout at the local AH mundane and idiotic things, but then that is still considered RPing if you don't mention the real world isn't it?


EDIT: In other words, don't we all put on a mask in anonimity. When we post here, or play online, we all act as a different person. This person may be the real us, and the mask is what we put on in our every day lives, but in one way or another, we become someone different.

Edited, Aug 18th 2010 8:19pm by Castrophany
#43 Aug 18 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Im defiantly a RPier , Larp games too!!! course though, as many have mentioned some peopel can go WAY overboard with the RP stuff in games. But most RP'ers i know and can tolerate and game with, respect that if your not a RP'er, who cares!!! nah kidding sorta. If your not aRP'er we talk to ya normally too, MOst peopel who RP usualy jsut RP with other people who RP. And i have said RP ALOT so far in this psot.. RP RP RP RP RP.. anyway. I havent checked out the link in the OP yet ill get around to it. If thoes peopel though DEMAND RP from everybodys yeah i wont get along with tehm, But if there as much rl chat as RP chat, cool! I might join them, Rp is fun! escaping from reality! WEEEEE DOWN WITH REALITY!!!!! what was i sayign again? oh yeah!

Not all RPers are bad, and i respect everyones opinion and views on this forum because nobody is acually wrong, of course nobody is 100% right either.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#44 Aug 18 2010 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Thanks to Zam for giving some attention to this population of players.

Personally I've never RP'd before, and I only planned to do it in XIV at my girlfriend's request, but now I'm actually looking forward to it. For some people it's a simple game of pretend, and for some it's an exercise in writing and creativity, and it's those latter elements that intrigue me. Even when XIV flounders a bit as a challenging and interesting game, there is an ever present challenge in entertaining storytelling that injects nicely into the gameplay.

My experiences with the RP community so far have only revealed them to be a mostly cool group of players with a good attitude about enjoying the game (though a bit long-winded at times).
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#45 Aug 18 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
I was in a RP linkshell for the longest time in FFXI. It was fun. We typically kept it in LS chat, maybe party chat if the party consisted of only LS members. If the entire LS met, then we would in /say, but we would try to find somewhere out of the way (like in WIndy Waters as far from the bridge to the tree and the residential area as possible). I didn't have emotes or /party lines in my macros, unless it was to let someone know that I hit Cover on them so they'd stay behind me.

We were also fairly casual about it. The rule was basically be in character (meaning no meta-game speaking, no real world talk), except out of character Fridays. There weren't any "thous" and "thees". That stuff's just really stupid. But there was jekylling between citizens of other nations and just general conversation, much like any conversations you would expect when in public. Just that the topics were based in game.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#46 Aug 18 2010 at 7:35 PM Rating: Excellent
I've never thought Roleplaying was weird, I guess that's because it's the environment I grew up in. My dad was a huge D&D nerd growing up, he still knows all the rules to the 1st edition and even now he's running a 4th edition game. I grew up in a family where roleplaying was... normal. After reading fairy tales, like the Three Little Pigs or Hansel and Gretal, my family would then reenact them by taking up parts of the story and... acting them out. I started doing Drama in Elementary School - my first role being a flower in Alice in Wonderland XD. By the time I was 17, I was in Drama Club, an Improv Group, and a Forensics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensics_(public_speaking)) Club, and playing Table Top RPG's. On top of that, we had every gaming system and lots of computers in the house. It seemed a natural step forward to roleplay in MMO's (For the record, so did my dad XD).

Now that doesn't mean that's all I, or many of the RP community, does. I am heavily into endgame in all MMO's I play. I am kind of a ***** when it comes to min maxing, and I like to be **** good at my job.

I'm not sure why people think RP is anything more than Improv acting... or that being really passionate about Endgame isn't somehow the same thing as being really passionate about RP. I've been in some Endgame guilds, they are just as crazy, if not crazier. And that's real drama, not just RP Drama. lol.

But as for this thread:
Griefing nonRpers is just as bad as griefing RPers. RPers who grief are in the minority, as most RPers are afraid of being trolled. You'll find most RPers will not RP when they need to concentrate on getting mad lootz, and Thee and Thou is never used.
#47 Aug 18 2010 at 10:17 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
ApatheticPanda wrote:
I've never thought Roleplaying was weird, I guess that's because it's the environment I grew up in. My dad was a huge D&D nerd growing up, he still knows all the rules to the 1st edition and even now he's running a 4th edition game. I grew up in a family where roleplaying was... normal. After reading fairy tales, like the Three Little Pigs or Hansel and Gretal, my family would then reenact them by taking up parts of the story and... acting them out. I started doing Drama in Elementary School - my first role being a flower in Alice in Wonderland XD. By the time I was 17, I was in Drama Club, an Improv Group, and a Forensics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensics_(public_speaking)) Club, and playing Table Top RPG's. On top of that, we had every gaming system and lots of computers in the house. It seemed a natural step forward to roleplay in MMO's (For the record, so did my dad XD).

Now that doesn't mean that's all I, or many of the RP community, does. I am heavily into endgame in all MMO's I play. I am kind of a ***** when it comes to min maxing, and I like to be **** good at my job.

I'm not sure why people think RP is anything more than Improv acting... or that being really passionate about Endgame isn't somehow the same thing as being really passionate about RP. I've been in some Endgame guilds, they are just as crazy, if not crazier. And that's real drama, not just RP Drama. lol.

But as for this thread:
Griefing nonRpers is just as bad as griefing RPers. RPers who grief are in the minority, as most RPers are afraid of being trolled. You'll find most RPers will not RP when they need to concentrate on getting mad lootz, and Thee and Thou is never used.


Nice first post :)
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#48 Aug 19 2010 at 3:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
About the "thee" and "thou" thing. It's not a Renaissance fair. People in Eorzea don't say "thee/thou" and neither will 99.9% of RP'ers.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#49 Aug 19 2010 at 6:52 AM Rating: Decent
*
201 posts
ApatheticPanda wrote:
I've never thought Roleplaying was weird, I guess that's because it's the environment I grew up in. My dad was a huge D&D nerd growing up, he still knows all the rules to the 1st edition and even now he's running a 4th edition game.


I wish I had your dad...

I'm planning to do some Heavy RP in this game, too.

I don't view RP as those stereotypical renaissance fair situations.
I view it as acting as a character in a novel, movie, or TV show.

Edited, Aug 19th 2010 7:53am by ShinoHaven
____________________________
FFXI - Shinoh - BRD66/WHM41/RDM41/NIN37/COR30/THF25 - Fairy
WoW - Lv.80 Priest/Shaman/Paladin - Boulderfist/Malorne
FFXIV - Can't afford it now. =(
#50 Aug 19 2010 at 7:21 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Non-RPers have a lot of strange ideas about what RPers are like, and even about what RP is. The seriousness, the stilted speech, the hostile behavior toward non-RPers - these are things that you'll practically never see from actual RPers. These stereotypes are based on a few unfortunate experiences a few people had with a tiny segment of the RPC, and bear little resemblance to the behavior of the majority of RPers.

Yet this is how we're perceived.

As we all know, FFXI's RPC was fractured and spread out because there was no one home for us. I believe the Role-Playing Coalition will be able to help both of these problems by concentrating and (to some extent) isolating RPers. It sounds really promising.

____________________________
Esthalos of Fairy
Hume, rank 10, San d'Oria
BRD75, PLD67, WHM42, WAR37, NIN37, SMN20

Armant wrote:
ok let no say this again once...

U have 20 dmg, u shoot 30 dmg, but if ur not RNG, u want HALF, with no time reload, so u get 10. but, BUT, u want no DRG since ur shooting, so its 30 dmg or 10?
#51 Aug 19 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
Sounds interesting, though I've never had run-ins with role-players except this one time a guy in my party had these incredibly cheesy macro lines whenever he cast a spell. I'm not sure if that even counts as RP.

Personally I don't like to talk about real life in game, and I usually talk and act in ways befitting of my character (esp. with JP players.) Does that make me a RPer? I don't know, and frankly I don't really care. I just want to enjoy the game without worrying about all the stereotypes and categorizations; there's already enough of those in real life.

So all the best to you RPers. May you find yourselves a haven to call home.

Edited, Aug 19th 2010 4:02pm by uomaru
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)