Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Which crafts seem the most worthwhile?Follow

#1 Aug 19 2010 at 1:09 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
So this is a question to beta testers but also a speculation thread. Which crafts will be the most important/lucrative/useful and why?

Personally, I feel like goldsmith will HAVE to be the most lucrative again like 11, but also the most expensive to level.

I think mining could also be extremely lucrative in combination with the above or just selling the ores and what not.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#2 Aug 19 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Default
**
845 posts
Fishing because fishing is so screwed right now I would be suprised if more than 10% of the population ever hits rank 10 fisherman.
____________________________

#3 Aug 19 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Either Lalafell smuggling, or the Miqo'te *** trade will be the most lucrative.
#4 Aug 19 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Default
**
845 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Either Lalafell smuggling, or the Miqo'te *** trade will be the most lucrative.


Lalafell *** trade for the pervs who want a legal fix.
____________________________

#5 Aug 19 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
550 posts
RMT. Because it brings in more dough than an acre of rice paddies.
____________________________
XI - Draiden 75DRG/75COR (Sylph, Retired 08)


#6 Aug 19 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
441 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Fishing because fishing is so screwed right now I would be suprised if more than 10% of the population ever hits rank 10 fisherman.



i got rank 10 earlier today... its not hard, there's just a 'trick' to it

but each craft has their own thing that is nice, so far im liking weaving cause i can make hooded robes and masks

carpentry so far is only one tht can make shields, but im betting there's gonna be other crafters tht can too
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#7 Aug 19 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Myzldas wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Fishing because fishing is so screwed right now I would be suprised if more than 10% of the population ever hits rank 10 fisherman.



i got rank 10 earlier today... its not hard, there's just a 'trick' to it

but each craft has their own thing that is nice, so far im liking weaving cause i can make hooded robes and masks

carpentry so far is only one tht can make shields, but im betting there's gonna be other crafters tht can too



My fishing is rank 14 so i know it can be done but its not easy and out of all the crafting (ive tried all) its by far the hardest.
____________________________

#8 Aug 19 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
**
281 posts
I think Botany will be the biggest money maker and coolest. I'm going with that and Armorer since I'm going to be a Gladiator and wanna repair my own armor.
____________________________
It isn't what dies that matters, it's what dies inside you while you're living that does.
#9 Aug 19 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Myzldas wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Fishing because fishing is so screwed right now I would be suprised if more than 10% of the population ever hits rank 10 fisherman.



i got rank 10 earlier today... its not hard, there's just a 'trick' to it

but each craft has their own thing that is nice, so far im liking weaving cause i can make hooded robes and masks

carpentry so far is only one tht can make shields, but im betting there's gonna be other crafters tht can too



My fishing is rank 14 so i know it can be done but its not easy and out of all the crafting (ive tried all) its by far the hardest.


actually thought armorer and blacksmith was hardest, weaving started off difficult, but has gotten a lot easier, just got rank 9, and fishing took me 15 min to get the hang of it
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#10 Aug 19 2010 at 1:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Myzldas wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Myzldas wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Fishing because fishing is so screwed right now I would be suprised if more than 10% of the population ever hits rank 10 fisherman.



i got rank 10 earlier today... its not hard, there's just a 'trick' to it

but each craft has their own thing that is nice, so far im liking weaving cause i can make hooded robes and masks

carpentry so far is only one tht can make shields, but im betting there's gonna be other crafters tht can too



My fishing is rank 14 so i know it can be done but its not easy and out of all the crafting (ive tried all) its by far the hardest.


actually thought armorer and blacksmith was hardest, weaving started off difficult, but has gotten a lot easier, just got rank 9, and fishing took me 15 min to get the hang of it


I guess its just different strokes for different folks blacksmithing wasnt any harder than any of the others for me and actually seemed easier(if you have lots of gil) since alot of the starting recipies call for items you can buy from the vendor. But I could be wrong maybe I just didnt figure out the easy button for fishing, from the feedback on the forums I think you might be one of the only ones who did.
____________________________

#11 Aug 19 2010 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
194 posts
Are there NPCs that give you recipe hints? I tried doing a bit of leatherworking yesterday, but couldn't figure out any recipes.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#12 Aug 19 2010 at 1:31 PM Rating: Default
**
845 posts
Edalya wrote:
Are there NPCs that give you recipe hints? I tried doing a bit of leatherworking yesterday, but couldn't figure out any recipes.


I havent dont Crafter leves for all crafting jobs but the couple I did gave me some recipies.
____________________________

#13 Aug 19 2010 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Just curious, do the crafting leves count against your 8 for the 48 hours? Also, how many different crafting leves could you do? Like could you do all 8 leves for different crafts if you wanted to?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#14 Aug 19 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
leves give a general guideline on some recipes, but a lot of recipes have same ingredients, after you pick items, it'll have a pop up menu with listing (i.e. 2 hempen cloth and 1 hempen yarn can make like 6 different things or so)
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#15 Aug 19 2010 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
BartelX wrote:
Just curious, do the crafting leves count against your 8 for the 48 hours? Also, how many different crafting leves could you do? Like could you do all 8 leves for different crafts if you wanted to?


Yes they count against your 8 leves for 48 hours.
____________________________

#16 Aug 19 2010 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
194 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Edalya wrote:
Are there NPCs that give you recipe hints? I tried doing a bit of leatherworking yesterday, but couldn't figure out any recipes.


I havent dont Crafter leves for all crafting jobs but the couple I did gave me some recipies.


I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the tip!
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#17 Aug 19 2010 at 1:44 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I hate crafting, but I'll have to try it first. I'll most likely start out as a miner and hopefully this will be a good supplemental income to my general farming of mobs.

Though I really should consider woodworking if ninja ever becomes a class. That is, if ninja tools are still made, and made under woodworking. Decisions...
#18 Aug 19 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Good
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Just curious, do the crafting leves count against your 8 for the 48 hours? Also, how many different crafting leves could you do? Like could you do all 8 leves for different crafts if you wanted to?


Yes they count against your 8 leves for 48 hours.


I don't have any first-hand information, but I can supply some second-hand. Whether it's accurate or not, I couldn't tell you.

Hyanmen wrote:
Might as well post this here. This was posted by Loaar on the EU Beta forums...

Quote:
First off, let me get some facts about leves out there:

1. There are 3 types of leves; Regional (Combat and Gathering), Local (Crafting) and Faction leves
2. Regional and Local leves do not share the same lockout. You can have 8 regional and 8 local leves in the same 48 hour period.


EDIT: As for picking a DoL/DoH job class, I'm getting a bit into character and working Alchemy. I'll probably look into leatherworking and carpentry, as well, depending on how those would be able to help me fix my equipment.

Edited, Aug 19th 2010 3:49pm by PLDXavier
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#19 Aug 19 2010 at 1:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
556 posts
I'm gonna go with Alchemy. With no mana regen I am sure a lot of casters are gonna wanna stock up on Ethers. It seems like it would be steady income. Not to mention other Pots that I am sure will be useful/needed for endgame.
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#20 Aug 19 2010 at 2:06 PM Rating: Excellent
*
183 posts
I read this as witchcraft seem the most worthwhile. I was dreaming of my little Lalafel riding a broomstick of choco feathers.

Edited, Aug 19th 2010 4:07pm by Castrophany
#21 Aug 19 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,151 posts
For the people that can't figure out recipes, SE has a large list of beta recipes on the beta site.
#22 Aug 19 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Either Lalafell smuggling, or the Miqo'te *** trade will be the most lucrative.

I lost.

Quote:
Lalafell *** trade for the pervs who want a legal fix.

I lost harder.

This does beg the uncomfortable question, though: How do Lalafell reproduce?...
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#23 Aug 19 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
*
155 posts
Originally was going to take carpentry and botany along with a DoW, but read that some carpentry recipes require levels alchemy as well so now adding that to the list. Want to stay away from smithing as done that in other games.

No idea which will be easiest or most lucrative but I'm willing to work at it.
____________________________
In this life you are nothing without someone else to think so.

#24 Aug 19 2010 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Either Lalafell smuggling, or the Miqo'te *** trade will be the most lucrative.

I lost.

Quote:
Lalafell *** trade for the pervs who want a legal fix.

I lost harder.

This does beg the uncomfortable question, though: How do Lalafell reproduce?...


when a man Lalafell and a lady Lalafell love each other very much......
____________________________

#25 Aug 19 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Trying several different crafts and looking at the recipes for them, all of the crafts seem very interwoven. Example Armorer may be the main craft, but it takes product from weaver, leather, blacksmith, and goldsmith to make that product.

All of them will have their pros and cons, but I do not think they are as segregated in XIV as they were in XI.

However, saying that... when looking at the Zam item list that was datamined, there are pages and pages of clothing/armor, including 8 different variations of each article of clothing/armor based on the dyed raw material product used.

I'd have to strongly believe that the color of a person's article of clothing will matter just as much to people as what type of clothing they purchase, therefore I think the demand for custom made clothing/armor will be huge. That is my opinion at least.
#26 Aug 19 2010 at 3:00 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
All of the trade skills seem like they've have decent value to them. Most valuable probably depends on which skill is least popular or makes some rare and valuable high end items.

I think the one that may surprise people is alchemy. I keep hearing that ethers are reasonable to make and have a decent effect now. With mages being some what starved for MP the ether market might be similar to cooking in FFXI, where you make a steady income, forever, on mass producable goods.
#27 Aug 19 2010 at 3:02 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
Right now anything that makes weapons seems like it'll be profitable (guess blacksmith and carpenter). I don't think they have the weapon vendors in yet (not in beta, just going by what i've read), but I'd assume its like FFXI where weapons were fairly overpriced from vendors, and rare as drops. Also, as useful as pots/food were, they were kinda a drag when you had to buy em.

I'm planning to go carpenter, culinary, and botany, but thats because I want to make my own food and arrows.
____________________________


#28 Aug 19 2010 at 3:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
when a man Lalafell and a lady Lalafell love each other very much......

Eureka! They smile at each other so adorably that it creates the miracle of birth!
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#29 Aug 19 2010 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Hmmm, a few people seem to think Alchemy. I'm still so indecisive about it, I really wish I was in the beta now just to test the crafting system out. Has anyone got to the point of actually crafting any upgraded equipment?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#30 Aug 19 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
BartelX wrote:
Hmmm, a few people seem to think Alchemy. I'm still so indecisive about it, I really wish I was in the beta now just to test the crafting system out. Has anyone got to the point of actually crafting any upgraded equipment?


upgraded as in....? making higher stuff than basic hemp stuff? like cotton, leather, chain and stuff? if so, then yes.. i've seen some people wearing that, i've made a few cotton stuff which is kinda like the class 10 stuff, hemp is class 1 stuff

people are kinda being hush hush about recipe's at the moment tho, as if they're gonna try to corner the market in release day like nobody knows how to wiki stuff nowadays..

but as for +1 stuff, im not too sure, i think i crafted a "2 star" quality mask earlier today, dunno what that does tho
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#31 Aug 19 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
w34v3r wrote:
Quote:
when a man Lalafell and a lady Lalafell love each other very much......

Eureka! They smile at each other so adorably that it creates the miracle of birth!


Close! But you missed the part of the choco-stork :P
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#32 Aug 20 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
BartelX wrote:
Which crafts will be the most important/lucrative/useful and why?

Whatever craft you personally like and enjoy doing. Any craft is only as useful as you make it to be.
____________________________
You're never gonna feel You're never gonna heal
You're never gonna know what's fake or real
'Til you know who you are
You're lying to your face And running in a race
You're never gonna win 'til you find your place
And you know who you are
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)