Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Didn't realize how crazy the Japanese are about FFXIVFollow

#1 Aug 20 2010 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
I went to a Japanese computer store today in Okinawa... It was sooo ridiculous. Every computer had a FFXIV benchmark score on it, regardless if it was 400 to 4700. Every where you turned there was a FFXIV advertisement, or benchmarking. I plan on going again tomorrow, I'll take photos to share. Is anyone else on here from Japan?
#2 Aug 20 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
Haven't been computer shopping lately, but would be interesting to get some pics of that. I'll take a look around my area.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#3 Aug 20 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
You definitely should, I was going to ask them if I could buy one of their posters that was in Japanese, but my Japanese is pretty poor and I didn't have my iphone to translate. My conversation with them looking for coolant for my water cooling was pretty hilarious.
#4 Aug 20 2010 at 7:54 AM Rating: Decent
*
56 posts
that's awesome! That would save so much work if they did that here. lol post pics!
____________________________
http://waxysjourneyffxiv.blogspot.com/
#5 Aug 20 2010 at 7:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
That's very interesting. I would like to see some pics of that as well.
#6 Aug 20 2010 at 7:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
When I go back, I definitely will. There were a couple of their high end systems running the benchmark on loop.
#7 Aug 20 2010 at 8:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
That's awesome, I'm sure most places here in the US don't have a clue as to what FFXIV is, let alone a system benchmark. Last night I was at Wal mart with my wife and I wanted to see if they had any cheap RAM for my in-laws computer, I asked a person working in the electronics department if they had any RAM sticks and she was like "You mean like a flash drive?" I just said "No" and walked away because the fail filled me with sadness.
#8 Aug 20 2010 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Kegoru wrote:
That's awesome, I'm sure most places here in the US don't have a clue as to what FFXIV is, let alone a system benchmark. Last night I was at Wal mart with my wife and I wanted to see if they had any cheap RAM for my in-laws computer, I asked a person working in the electronics department if they had any RAM sticks and she was like "You mean like a flash drive?" I just said "No" and walked away because the fail filled me with sadness.


Ouch pain-fail
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#9 Aug 20 2010 at 8:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
I love Walmart though, only place you can get a handle of liquor, 500 rounds of .45 ACP and purchase them while being intoxicated.
#10 Aug 20 2010 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
JoniPaavo wrote:
I love Walmart though, only place you can get a handle of liquor, 500 rounds of .45 ACP and purchase them while being intoxicated.


Walmarts here don't sell booze or ammo, just plastic deck chairs and other gimcrack.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#11 Aug 20 2010 at 8:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
Quote:
I love Walmart though, only place you can get a handle of liquor, 500 rounds of .45 ACP and purchase them while being intoxicated.


Unfortunately here in PA walmart can't sell liquor :/ otherwise it might make my trips there a little bit more bearable.
#12 Aug 20 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
I wish they'd advertise like that here too. Even a game like AoC had posters and commercials and w/e all over the place a few months before release, here I haven't seen one single FFXIV poster and we are a month away. Not even in the gameshops is there any info, I really don't understand why they don't advertise it more all over the world.
#13 Aug 20 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Belcrono wrote:
I wish they'd advertise like that here too. Even a game like AoC had posters and commercials and w/e all over the place a few months before release, here I haven't seen one single FFXIV poster and we are a month away. Not even in the gameshops is there any info, I really don't understand why they don't advertise it more all over the world.


We should just make our own posters and advertisements and place them all over our hometowns and surrounding areas. Except Boston... Mumbles doesn't appreciate third-party advertising.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#14 Aug 20 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
My Walmart has bullets, but not booze...
I can't wait to visit Japan next April! I wish art books didn't make luggage so heavy!

That said the newest/toughest graphical benchmark sia decent way to advertise your computers. especially since in this pre-launch season of such a big game I bet that's what lots of people are buying it for!

Edited, Aug 20th 2010 12:09pm by Tweezle120
#15 Aug 20 2010 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
My walmart wants to ban violent games but still can go to sporting goods and buy guns and bullets. Go figure.
#16 Aug 20 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Good
*
183 posts
My walmart has Booze but not bullets. Interesting.
#17 Aug 20 2010 at 1:17 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Kegoru wrote:
That's awesome, I'm sure most places here in the US don't have a clue as to what FFXIV is, let alone a system benchmark.


To be honest, most places here don't even know what XI is. I went to a Gamestop once (back then it was EB Games) to get a copy of XI for Ps2, and they had no idea what I was talking about and obviously they didn't have it in stock. They didn't even have the PC version. Had to order it off ebay and have it shipped from who knows where.

But then again, it's not like we Westerners are really SE's target market anyway. Just about everything we've gotten from them was well after Japan release (if at all) and a lot of it was dumbed down. So, meh.

I hope they do at least a LITTLE advertising here though. They can't just build it and expect that people will come.
#18 Aug 20 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Yeah, even going to a computer/video game specific store here may not help you much in finding info on FFXIV or getting a system to play it. Luckily it worked out well that the dude I talked to at gamestop still plays XI & already had XIV reserved so he had useful information.

My wal-mart has beer/wine but not the good stuff, not sure about guns, but they definitely don't carry my kind of music unless it's censored...there's a liquor store across the street though, and that gamestop is in the same parking lot...score!
____________________________

#19 Aug 20 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
Quote:
To be honest, most places here don't even know what XI is. I went to a Gamestop once (back then it was EB Games) to get a copy of XI for Ps2, and they had no idea what I was talking about and obviously they didn't have it in stock. They didn't even have the PC version. Had to order it off ebay and have it shipped from who knows where.

But then again, it's not like we Westerners are really SE's target market anyway. Just about everything we've gotten from them was well after Japan release (if at all) and a lot of it was dumbed down. So, meh.


While I agree with this I also find it sad that FF is still as unknown as it is. I mean I've been playing FF games since the original on the NES as a kid. Sure FF is a huge franchise among gamers, but I'm surprised it isn't hyped more around here, it has to be one of the all time greatest franchises in video game history. It makes me sad that more people know about Halo and warcraft than FF.
#20 Aug 20 2010 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Kegoru wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, most places here don't even know what XI is. I went to a Gamestop once (back then it was EB Games) to get a copy of XI for Ps2, and they had no idea what I was talking about and obviously they didn't have it in stock. They didn't even have the PC version. Had to order it off ebay and have it shipped from who knows where.

But then again, it's not like we Westerners are really SE's target market anyway. Just about everything we've gotten from them was well after Japan release (if at all) and a lot of it was dumbed down. So, meh.


While I agree with this I also find it sad that FF is still as unknown as it is. I mean I've been playing FF games since the original on the NES as a kid. Sure FF is a huge franchise among gamers, but I'm surprised it isn't hyped more around here, it has to be one of the all time greatest franchises in video game history. It makes me sad that more people know about Halo and warcraft than FF.


People treating Madden release day as a national holiday...ridiculous...completely ridiculous...

Yeah a lot of my friends are all about Halo, CoD, & sports... still saying things like "You play those Final Fantasy games where you don't actually control your character right? That's stupid!" A few of them at least play stuff like Oblivion & Fallout3
____________________________

#21 Aug 20 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
My wal-mart has Booze, bulletes and Visine ;)
#22 Aug 20 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Decent
**
778 posts
Kegoru wrote:
It makes me sad that more people know about Halo and warcraft than FF.
I think the RPG fan playerbase in the US is lower than those who love FPS games. So many people I talk to don't have a clue what Final Fantasy is but EVERYONE knows about Call of Duty or Halo. As for Warcraft... the commercials of Mr. T ensure you'll see plenty of that.

On-topic, I wish I could visit Japan... They get some of the biggest and coolest games before anyone else and so many titles are passed up for localization. But running the benchmark for FFXIV sounds like a good tactic for drumming up customers looking for a new computer.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#23 Aug 20 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
@Kegoru well what did you expect from a WalMart employee? its not as if they're a computer store :S
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Aug 20 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
WTB pictures, that would be a cool sight can't image that happening here in Australia for any game.
____________________________
Stay Classy
#25 Aug 20 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
JoniPaavo wrote:
I went to a Japanese computer store today in Okinawa... It was sooo ridiculous. Every computer had a FFXIV benchmark score on it, regardless if it was 400 to 4700. Every where you turned there was a FFXIV advertisement, or benchmarking. I plan on going again tomorrow, I'll take photos to share. Is anyone else on here from Japan?


I'm with you. For some reason, i just have to go to Tokyo tower lol. Stupid Tokyo Tower in every Dorama / anime i have ever seen. ><

Anyway, i actually found out about FF XI because of a poster i saw in .. you guessed it... Wal-Mart lol. Maybe they will advertise a little bit here in the states.

The beta key thread is breaking zam atm, and i quoted the OP by mistake.

Edited, Aug 20th 2010 9:35pm by Teneleven
____________________________

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)