Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

SE trying new things? OMFG!!!Follow

#52 Aug 21 2010 at 8:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
140 posts
Quote:

I'm pretty sure if Square-Enix replaced all the monsters with elephants featuring pink polkadots, made the starting cities gypsy camps, and replaced all skills in the game with poking he (the OP) would still probably salute Square-Enix for being different.

Being different is good. Stupid ideas that make most people cringe is not good. These are thousands of people who are complaining like ferocious beasts that they do not like this system. The ratio of hate versus support on the beta forums is like 100/0.5. That's not good. That's not a good way to be different.

If they change it, fantastic. If they explain it more and how to alleviate it, fantastic. If it's how everyone currently imagines it to be, the game's in big trouble.


I could swear that if people didn't act upon their "stupid ideas" their would not have been space travel, no peanut butter, no electricity, the fundamentals of gravity, we have to be arguing with teenagers here, there's no flipping way and full grown(mentally) adult would be arguing these points.

WHEN YOU RENT SOMETHING YOU ARE PAYING FOR A PRODUCT THAT IS BEING LENT TO YOU. Only a fool would pay for something, monthly, that they find distasteful, unworthy of their time, stupid

There will also be a disclaimer form that will tell you the same thing, and you accept it before installing.
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#53 Aug 21 2010 at 8:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
I could swear that if people didn't act upon their "stupid ideas" their would not have been space travel, no peanut butter, no electricity, the fundamentals of gravity, we have to be arguing with teenagers here, there's no flipping way and full grown(mentally) adult would be arguing these points.


Yes because deducting EXP in an MMORPG is the next light of humanity. I'm not entirely sure what to take about your statement if that's some sort of counterpoint about what I said or not, because if it was it sounded pretty hypocritical.

I am mostly reiterating what is coming from beta. Personally, I feel there's more to the surplus system than what is expected. I think when the game is released, there will be something to alleviate the issue. People are mostly confused about what the system is. What it is currently doing is causing a lot of problems.

It's easy to play the anti-entitlement card. Sure, a lot of gamers might look spoiled rotten and want whatever they want. Hey, I'm talking about the beta testers. You know, the people who ultimately provide the feedback to SE saying what's broken and what's not, what sucks and what's not. So far I've found that SE has done a pretty good job listening to the beta testers. But, at this rate, there are thousands of posts ranting about not agreeing with this system.

Sure, when it boils down to it, it's the company's game. They have the final word. However, if something is seriously (and in this case I mean SERIOUSLY) upsetting their player base (most especially their beta base), it would be the most asinine possible thing to do to ignore it or in the very least not explain what's going on to their audience.

Edited, Aug 21st 2010 10:54pm by Rjain
____________________________


#54 Aug 21 2010 at 9:00 PM Rating: Default
*
140 posts
Quote:
Oh I have growing up to do eh? I'll get right on that.

As for your "point", if I rented something for a day, but get told after 2 hours that I have to return it, I'm going to be ****** off. Same thing applies here. No growing up needed here.


And, you would not rent from them again? Right? exactly. If that's the companies policy you can either abide by them or find somewhere else to rent.

Its not hard to understand people. Until SE see the system is not what they thought it was, only they can change it, its their work. But if this system is what they want, you won't be able to do too much about it. Move On.
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#55 Aug 21 2010 at 9:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
172 posts
OK I did a bit more research and what I have found is surplus is not new. It has been in the game since alpha and they lowered it for beta. They have been seeing people mostly focusing on leveling and not doing much of the other stuff. So, they raised it in phase 3 to more or less get people to try other things. Phase 3 is supposed to mostly be about crafting. So I can see why SE would put a stronger restriction on leveling. Some believe when open beta comes out they will reset it again and it won't be as bad as it is now when released, yet you still wont be able to just level from 1 to whatever on 1 job without hitting it. I do believe SE knows what they want to get out of this game and I do support them.

Also, most of these people you are talking about in beta just got in and they were expecting to just level up. They never got to play never got to play with a less restricted surplus.
____________________________
Carpe Diem
#56 Aug 21 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
Also, most of these people you are talking about in beta just got in and they were expecting to just level up. They never got to play never got to play with a less restricted surplus.


Actually pretty much all of them have been there since the beginning I believe. I don't think new beta testers are allowed to view/post in the forums.
____________________________


#57 Aug 21 2010 at 9:09 PM Rating: Decent
*
140 posts
Quote:
Yes because deducting EXP in an MMORPG is the next light of humanity. I'm not entirely sure what to take about your statement if that's some sort of counterpoint about what I said or not, because if it was it sounded pretty hypocritical.

I am mostly reiterating what is coming from beta. Personally, I feel there's more to the surplus system than what is expected. I think when the game is released, there will be something to alleviate the issue. People are mostly confused about what the system is. What it is currently doing is causing a lot of problems.

It's easy to play the anti-entitlement card. Sure, a lot of gamers might look spoiled rotten and want whatever they want. Hey, I'm talking about the beta testers. You know, the people who ultimately provide the feedback to SE saying what's broken and what's not, what sucks and what's not. So far I've found that SE has done a pretty good job listening to the beta testers. But, at this rate, there are thousands of posts ranting about not agreeing with this system.

Sure, when it boils down to it, it's the company's game. They have the final word. However, if something is seriously (and in this case I mean SERIOUSLY) upsetting their player base (most especially their beta base), it would be the most asinine possible thing to do to ignore it or in the very least not explain what's going on to their audience.


sorry if it came off to harsh. I was just implying that a new idea shouldn't be tossed away by the masses cause they find it preposterous for it to even work. I did use the extreme(serious ventures) to argue a video game, but someones work is someones work and just because its a video game shouldn't mean a new idea should be laughed and mocked at.

And I'm only opening my big mouth to the argument of renting someone else's property compared to owning something you can change and not get in trouble for. It could very well be that this "surplus is here only for beta so testers are forced to do other things(crafting, gathering..etc)and come release we are free to lvl up as we please. I don't want restrictions either, but we can't force SE to change something they want in their game.

Edited, Aug 21st 2010 11:11pm by Rustyshield

Edited, Aug 21st 2010 11:12pm by Rustyshield
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#58 Aug 21 2010 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
And I'm only opening my big mouth to the argument of renting someone else's property compared to owning something you can change and not get in trouble for. It could very well be that this "surplus is here only for beta so testers are forced to do other things(crafting, gathering..etc)and come release we are free to lvl up as we please. I don't want restrictions either, but we can't force SE to change something they want in their game.


I am sure that the end result upon release will be much different than what it currently is. If there is a serious problem, I am sure that Square-Enix will come up with the right solution. So many people complain that Square-Enix doesn't "listen to their testers" but that is simply not true.

I do not fear that the game's release will be bad or feature any crazy systems that will spell doom to hardcore gamers.
____________________________


#59 Aug 21 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
482 posts
Rustyshield wrote:
And, you would not rent from them again? Right? exactly. If that's the companies policy you can either abide by them or find somewhere else to rent.

Its not hard to understand people. Until SE see the system is not what they thought it was, only they can change it, its their work. But if this system is what they want, you won't be able to do too much about it. Move On.


I changed my previous post with a better analogy. But to answer your question, no, I would never go back there again. Which is the whole point! Why would SE implement a system that's rubbing 90% of their potential customers the wrong way? It doesn't make sence.

Surely the "rental company" from the example above, would realise "hey, we aren't getting any more customers, maybe we should change". This is the reason for my fight against this system. It brings nothing good to the table, and if anything, I think it will scare people away.

But I am no psycic, I can't say if the game will be successful or not.
____________________________
Kuyo - Hume Male - Pandemonium server (Retired)
75 Monk, 75 Samurai
#60 Aug 21 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I think the real lesson here, regardless of if you've played Final Fantasy XI before or not, is that S-E needs to be more vocal about the changes that they are doing and provide reasons for doing so. From my understanding, it seems that the whole EXP surplus thing is ******* people off and S-E didn't bother to explain how or why they implemented such a system.

I believe if we are beta testing, they should (at the very least) document their changes to the system that they are making.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)