Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Last NamesFollow

#1 Aug 23 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
This option certainly threw a monkey wrench into the works of my planning.

Waaaaaaaayyyyyy back before FFXI came to the US, i had one of the little advertisement packets, and i drooled over it daily, i still have it too, and i thought and i planned and i imagined, just as i am now. I decided (this is even pre CoP time here) that i would level a Ninja and Thief, and these would be my classes, and i wanted balance so i went with the Asian looking Hume and (wait, no spell check on Hume?) an Asian sounding name hence "Kazamoto" and i felt all ninja like.

The point of this story, is the name i had picked out had some attention to it, and now i have to come up with a last name for a character i have known these last 8 years, and am having the damnedest time. Anyone else in the same boat, whether to carry on the old name, or come up with something new?
____________________________
Kazamoto Fenrir Server LS=Myrmidon
Jobs -75PLD-75PUP-75DRK-65RDM-
Retired 12/09
Kazamoto Futatabi ~~~~ Rabanastre Server ~~~~ Myrmidon
GLD15 Other DoW10 BSM15 And more to come!!!
#2 Aug 23 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
151 posts
Why not just split it into 2? Kaza Moto, Kaz Amoto? People tend to call others by the first syllable half of the time anyways.
____________________________
Flotsam Jetsam - Lindblum
lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1570183
#3 Aug 23 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LowLvGoldsmith wrote:
This option certainly threw a monkey wrench into the works of my planning.

Waaaaaaaayyyyyy back before FFXI came to the US, i had one of the little advertisement packets, and i drooled over it daily, i still have it too, and i thought and i planned and i imagined, just as i am now. I decided (this is even pre CoP time here) that i would level a Ninja and Thief, and these would be my classes, and i wanted balance so i went with the Asian looking Hume and (wait, no spell check on Hume?) an Asian sounding name hence "Kazamoto" and i felt all ninja like.

The point of this story, is the name i had picked out had some attention to it, and now i have to come up with a last name for a character i have known these last 8 years, and am having the damnedest time. Anyone else in the same boat, whether to carry on the old name, or come up with something new?


I was having quite a bit of difficulty with it as well early on. Though I am bummed about the surname thing (nothing really fit with the name I was planning on using) I was eventually able to work through it.

Instead of trying to tack on a surname to the single-word name that I was planning on switching to, I just decided to go back to my old FFXI name. Better I thought, to make it easy for people to recognize and remember me from FFXI and these boards. I spent a little while searching and came up with a surname for it that I'm very happy with, so yey. Smiley: grin

I guess I'd say that if it's more important to you to have your old character's history, relationships, and notoriety than it is to have a "fresh start" then find a surname to go with your old name. "Kazamoto" doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to pair with a surname.

If it's important for your name to have a relevant/cool meaning (it sure is for me!) maybe a site like this would help?
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#4 Aug 23 2010 at 7:00 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
I had the same problem, and nothing really seems to flow well with "Hesper" for me... I suppose it's because I was just so used to being called plain Hesper that I don't want a stinkin' surname, hehe. It would look odd to call myself "Hesp Er" or "Hes Per" so, I just decided to start fresh and have an entirely different name :) I do like the look and sound of "Kaz Amoto" for you though if that helps! Good luck :)
____________________________
A well-balanced diet is a cookie in each hand!
#5 Aug 23 2010 at 7:00 PM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
interesting, i thank you for that link, the one i had in mind was

Sairin, or 再臨 or Second Coming (n). But it made the whole name seem kinda crap

Kazamoto Sairin

____________________________
Kazamoto Fenrir Server LS=Myrmidon
Jobs -75PLD-75PUP-75DRK-65RDM-
Retired 12/09
Kazamoto Futatabi ~~~~ Rabanastre Server ~~~~ Myrmidon
GLD15 Other DoW10 BSM15 And more to come!!!
#6 Aug 23 2010 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Kazamoto ************* :P (if i spelled it right its kazamoto how are you today) or i could be way off my japanese is rusty
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#7 Aug 23 2010 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LowLvGoldsmith wrote:
interesting, i thank you for that link, the one i had in mind was

Sairin, or 再臨 or Second Coming (n). But it made the whole name seem kinda crap

Kazamoto Sairin


Sairin sounds like a nice name, though I agree that the two together don't have great flow. In my humble opinion, "Sairin" could do well with a prefix or suffix added to give the name more meaning, and help the two names mesh together better. The site I linked shows some names broken down into prefix/suffix's with the meanings of each, and I bet a quick google search could yield plenty more.

As an example: Kazamoto Kurosairin

PS: I'm on an alliteration kick lately. My character's name is Eske Eir Smiley: tongue

Edited, Aug 23rd 2010 9:12pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#8 Aug 23 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
I took my name in Hawaiian and added some accents to make it more Miqo'te:

Ke'lemi Luekl'a
#9 Aug 23 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Are spaces allow in the last name? like if I wanted a last name like da Costa would it have to daCosta?
#10 Aug 23 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
I took my name in Hawaiian and added some accents to make it more Miqo'te:

Ke'lemi Luekl'a


I didn't know you could use apostrophes O_o
#11 Aug 23 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
i may be wrong, but i belive they are, as long as you only use one.

Can_do
Cant__Do

Edited, Aug 23rd 2010 9:20pm by LowLvGoldsmith
____________________________
Kazamoto Fenrir Server LS=Myrmidon
Jobs -75PLD-75PUP-75DRK-65RDM-
Retired 12/09
Kazamoto Futatabi ~~~~ Rabanastre Server ~~~~ Myrmidon
GLD15 Other DoW10 BSM15 And more to come!!!
#12 Aug 23 2010 at 7:24 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
Eske wrote:
Sairin sounds like a nice name, though I agree that the two together don't have great flow. In my humble opinion, "Sairin" could do well with a prefix or suffix added to give the name more meaning, and help the two names mesh together better. The site I linked shows some names broken down into prefix/suffix's with the meanings of each, and I bet a quick google search could yield plenty more.

As an example: Kazamoto Kurosairin

PS: I'm on an alliteration kick lately. My character's name is Eske Eir


Lol, not a bad idea :D gave me the thought Kazamablabla "Anosairin" aka "Kazamoto umm....sairin"

Or there's always Kazamoto Futatabi (再び) (english= Again)



Edited, Aug 23rd 2010 9:27pm by LowLvGoldsmith
____________________________
Kazamoto Fenrir Server LS=Myrmidon
Jobs -75PLD-75PUP-75DRK-65RDM-
Retired 12/09
Kazamoto Futatabi ~~~~ Rabanastre Server ~~~~ Myrmidon
GLD15 Other DoW10 BSM15 And more to come!!!
#13 Aug 23 2010 at 7:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:

I didn't know you could use apostrophes O_o


I really don't know since I'm not in the beta :( It would be pretty crappy if you can't since a lot of the miqo'te names have apostrophes. If I can't I'll just use spaces Ke Lemi Lukel ******** looks much better with apostrophes.
#14 Aug 23 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LowLvGoldsmith wrote:
Eske wrote:
Sairin sounds like a nice name, though I agree that the two together don't have great flow. In my humble opinion, "Sairin" could do well with a prefix or suffix added to give the name more meaning, and help the two names mesh together better. The site I linked shows some names broken down into prefix/suffix's with the meanings of each, and I bet a quick google search could yield plenty more.

As an example: Kazamoto Kurosairin

PS: I'm on an alliteration kick lately. My character's name is Eske Eir


Lol, not a bad idea :D gave me the thought Kazamablabla "Anosairin" aka "Kazamoto umm....sairin"


Smiley: lol
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#15 Aug 23 2010 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
When all else fails, go with Blight.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#16 Aug 23 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
375 posts
I have the same Issue. Right now I am Laell Ose, but it doesnt flow. I might end up using my wifes maiden name. Not sure tho. I'll see how I like it during open beta. \


Edit: Hit send to fast. Anyways, like her maiden name sounds like a casters name. And its very fitting. as long as it flows.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2010 9:41pm by OddlerJiub
____________________________
FFXIV- Laell Orias Conjurer
Server- Besaid

"But Phillip... he's a girl crab.
#17 Aug 23 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
**
275 posts
Personally I think Kazamoto Sairin sounds fine. Though to my ear it seems like Sairin is the first name (the Japanese method of using family name before given name). Have you considered Kazamoto as a last name? Either way, I actually think it does flow. But I could come up with a couple more suggestions for you (sticking with your apparent theme of a "second coming").

Kazamoto Shouhen (Shouhen = Rebirth)
Kazamoto Tensei (Tensei = Buddhist term regarding reincarnation/transfer of souls)

I think both of those have a nice flow to them as well, especially the second. Makes me think of a samurai/ninja type character.

As for myself, I had somewhat of an issue even coming up with my first name when I picked up FFXI. It took me ages staring at my character just to come up with "Kaelia," which ended up being nothing more than an extreme alteration of my name (Caitlin). "Cai" -> "Kae", got rid of the "t" because it sounded too harsh, kept the "li" and traded in the "n" for an "a" which I thought sounded more feminine. And I loved it! So much in fact that it was borderline traumatic coming up with a last name... But I managed! And my boyfriend liked it so much that he's adopting the same last name for his character. :) Both Miqo'te.

Anyway, good luck!

____________________________

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)