Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Tanaka Tires of "Fatigue" RumorsFollow

#152 Aug 25 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
169 posts
Yeah, I'm in Beta, yeah, I know surplus. Yeah, it blows. I'll try to avoid NDA issues here and hit stuff point by point.

The extra players invited to Beta aren't invited to bring bugs or suggestions to the devs, says so right in the Beta area. They have enough people doing that. So, they're obviously doing trend testing with the additional people brought on board with the additional liscenses. They HAVE testers (probably that speak the same language they do so there's less problems) that they're listening to now. The rest of us are trend testers. What's trend testing? It's finding out what the average idiot does on an average day when they're NOT testing your specific item. It gives them data to work from for later. Where's the roads, do we have enough aggro mobs here, too many here on a 'thoroughfare'. Do those AoE aggros hit too many at once? How many times does mage AoE hit non-involved enemies? Is cure too strong and cure ii too weak because everyone uses cure, even at level 30? That kind of stuff.

Surplus is a right royal pita. 8 hours/week is not horribly inaccurate from my limited testing, but from my understanding it's with xp earning as a hard value and SE's expectation, not time running around as the class, and you hit the barrier. Get in a really good group, it's quicker, crappy group, it's longer. This is... well, annoying. Then again, no RMT is going to outfish me again because his macros run 24 hrs a day. It's also hard to hit early on. Chewing off what I was going to say as further explaination because of NDA's that still exist... It's not just the hardcore its going to affect. It should nearly destroy the RMTs and automators. It's going to hurt hardcore, yes, though, and well, I tend to be hardcore. A shame.

That said, it's Beta, and while the mechanic may not be removed, it might be eased to a more realistic point of view. Except for basement dwellers who want to fight the gods in 2 weeks from launch, 20-28 hrs/week of xp'ing (note, xp'ing, not traveling, finding group, etc etc) a single job would serve just about everyone but the poopsockers. There's been translations (yes, I'll try to find the source because someone will ask) though that this system is specifically in place to keep the hardcores from blowing the casuals out of the water. I'd expect the system, but not the stringent limitations. Beta's a time for balancing, and you start tight to make sure you get a LOT of data quickly.

If you want to *****, head for the retainer/no AH threads, that there's a tragedy, if spoken a bit more about by SE.
____________________________
XIV: Misfit Stormrider - Kashuan
XI: Kujata - Razoredge (Long Retired)

A possible retainer idea

#153 Aug 25 2010 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
27 posts
Elmer, I really appreciate what you do for us, and have been doing for us for many years now with FFXI. I know you don't know me, but I've relied on your translations many MANY times in FFXI...

But it's not your job too, and SE should have someone to translate these things...
#154 Aug 25 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Elmer wrote:
Tanaka Tires of "Fatigue" Rumors
ಠ_ಠ

What a ****.

<Tanaka> Ugh those NA douchebags just don't get the awesomeness of the Surplus XP system. They're making it sound bad!
<NA> We get it. We may not have all the details, but we don't like it.
<Tanaka> But it encourages you to try other classes!
<NA> No, it discourages you from playing the one you like, forcing you to do something else or just log off. Just get rid of it, we hate the direction you're trying to go with it.
<Tanaka> ;_;

/t Uematsu ******* NAs ¬_¬



Edited, Aug 25th 2010 9:42pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#155 Aug 25 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Almost every single MMO beta experiments with this idea.

They always end up removing it because the players hate it.

I personally saw both UO and WoW try similar systems and they quickly removed it when the players busted out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.

Edited, Aug 25th 2010 9:08pm by Lobivopis


The problem is, SE doesn't get the idea of removing something that their players don't like.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think people not liking it will stop them from leaving it in.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#156 Aug 25 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
I'm a tad late but...

You can't say "it's a beta test" when SE does not give information on basic game mechanics.

During the test, the #1 priority set by SE was feedback of the game. Then they don't explain a mechanic as important as this right away. It's like asking me to give feedback on the design of a space shuttle. Without the knowledge to understand what I'm giving feedback on, I can't give feedback. At the same time, I feel obligated to try and understand to the best of my ability.

#157 Aug 25 2010 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Lobivopis wrote:
Almost every single MMO beta experiments with this idea.

They always end up removing it because the players hate it.

I personally saw both UO and WoW try similar systems and they quickly removed it when the players busted out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.

Edited, Aug 25th 2010 9:08pm by Lobivopis


The problem is, SE doesn't get the idea of removing something that their players don't like.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think people not liking it will stop them from leaving it in.


I agree SE seems to not care what others are doing and what players really want and they are making the game they want to make but after the past couple days with the outcry we've seen its really really hard to believe they wont change it. You could say well they prob dont listen to these forums or those but from Tanakas statements about "fan sites posting false info" and everything obviously they do pay attention.
#158 Aug 25 2010 at 11:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
169 posts
Actually, I'm assuming he tracked back sources on JP sites to the 'foreign' sites (and not being a speaker, couldn't track them back into JP), so at a guess he's listening to JP sources. Which kinda makes sense. They build and create mostly for a JP audience and then tack on the rest of the world if they're interested.
____________________________
XIV: Misfit Stormrider - Kashuan
XI: Kujata - Razoredge (Long Retired)

A possible retainer idea

#159 Aug 26 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
Several replies from Japanese fans also point to the lack of any official explanation as exacerbating, if not outright causing, the issue.


Hey, SE... How about telling us what's going on?
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#160 Aug 26 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I wish everyone would just calm down.
Anyone who played XI from the release day should realize Tanaka-san will explain the fatigue system to us.
In March of 2012.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#161 Aug 26 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Sherri88 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Lobivopis wrote:
Almost every single MMO beta experiments with this idea.

They always end up removing it because the players hate it.

I personally saw both UO and WoW try similar systems and they quickly removed it when the players busted out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.

Edited, Aug 25th 2010 9:08pm by Lobivopis


The problem is, SE doesn't get the idea of removing something that their players don't like.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think people not liking it will stop them from leaving it in.


I agree SE seems to not care what others are doing and what players really want and they are making the game they want to make but after the past couple days with the outcry we've seen its really really hard to believe they wont change it. You could say well they prob dont listen to these forums or those but from Tanakas statements about "fan sites posting false info" and everything obviously they do pay attention.


I never said SE doesn't pay attention. They -hear us-, they just don't -listen-.

It's possible that changes could be made, but if XI is any indication, the question that comes to mind is: how late will it be when and if they are made? Consider that the ********* of lies and misinformation started by Sankaku caused a ton of people to decide not to play. SE clarified it, which alleviated the concerns of some of the people who were on the fence, but people are still canceling their preorders in droves.

Now normally I'd say "Well, it's just beta, if people want to cancel their preorder, then **** em" but I'm biased now. I was planning to start at launch with my fiancee, her brother, and my sister's husband. The latter two have decided, in light of SE's release yesterday confirming the system will remain in place, that they have adopted a "wait and see" approach. In other words, they have canceled their preorder and will wait and see what I tell them after I buy the game and play it for a while, whether I hit it or not, and roughly how long it takes to hit it.

I admit I'm biased since this has personally affected me in that two people who are good friends of mine will not be joining me at launch because of this. I'm going to have to spend the next month trying to defend SE to them, trying to defend a system that -I- don't even like, just to try to get them to change their minds and play at release with me.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#162 Aug 26 2010 at 9:02 PM Rating: Default
40 posts
I saw some video on youtube about this one actually i reffer to Rock Lock, to whoever is hardcore fan, probably knows him already. Yeah 8 hour a week, im not that hardcore, i got a famly and all and i can safely say i will spend lot more than 8 hours a week gaming, i really dont get their point tho, sure it will kill powerleveling but ... who cares! okay you want to pay 200$ to get lvl 40 and might loose your account doing it, its your call buddy its not a PvP game and you will pass right beside the fun of the game wich is suppose to be immersive, what do I care some dude is lvl 40+ after 1 week.

So what im suppose to do after my 8 hour? level another class? pass from killing huge monster to kill some **** sheep, and that would suppose to be fun? I may be old school but i like to say im a BLM or a WAR and thats what i do, not change to be some " dude " that can perform in any discipline i may be asked to
#163 Aug 26 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
317 posts
It seems that people are still a little confused about what surplus is and how it functions, I made this thread a few hours ago if you are still a little confused: (Heck even if you think you know what it is you should read it because some people are saying it is something it is not)

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=128284930152692327&page=1
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#164 Aug 26 2010 at 9:36 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Almost every single MMO beta experiments with this idea.

They always end up removing it because the players hate it.

I personally saw both UO and WoW try similar systems and they quickly removed it when the players busted out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.


This is a disagree post that I can stand behind, because it lacks QQ and is full of knowledge and reason. (And futa)
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#165 Aug 26 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.


Really. It's right up there with "Don't push old ladies down the stairs." and "Don't poke a sleeping bear with a stick."
#166 Aug 27 2010 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Sherri88 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Lobivopis wrote:
Almost every single MMO beta experiments with this idea.

They always end up removing it because the players hate it.

I personally saw both UO and WoW try similar systems and they quickly removed it when the players busted out the pitchforks and burning torches.

You do not tell MMO junkies that their grinding shall be limited, even slightly. You just don't. It's something that they absolutely will not tolerate.

Edited, Aug 25th 2010 9:08pm by Lobivopis


The problem is, SE doesn't get the idea of removing something that their players don't like.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but I don't think people not liking it will stop them from leaving it in.


I agree SE seems to not care what others are doing and what players really want and they are making the game they want to make but after the past couple days with the outcry we've seen its really really hard to believe they wont change it. You could say well they prob dont listen to these forums or those but from Tanakas statements about "fan sites posting false info" and everything obviously they do pay attention.


I never said SE doesn't pay attention. They -hear us-, they just don't -listen-.

It's possible that changes could be made, but if XI is any indication, the question that comes to mind is: how late will it be when and if they are made? Consider that the sh*tstorm of lies and misinformation started by Sankaku caused a ton of people to decide not to play. SE clarified it, which alleviated the concerns of some of the people who were on the fence, but people are still canceling their preorders in droves.

Now normally I'd say "Well, it's just beta, if people want to cancel their preorder, then @#%^ em" but I'm biased now. I was planning to start at launch with my fiancee, her brother, and my sister's husband. The latter two have decided, in light of SE's release yesterday confirming the system will remain in place, that they have adopted a "wait and see" approach. In other words, they have canceled their preorder and will wait and see what I tell them after I buy the game and play it for a while, whether I hit it or not, and roughly how long it takes to hit it.

I admit I'm biased since this has personally affected me in that two people who are good friends of mine will not be joining me at launch because of this. I'm going to have to spend the next month trying to defend SE to them, trying to defend a system that -I- don't even like, just to try to get them to change their minds and play at release with me.
Essentially, SE's philosophy is "you should be thrilled to be a part of our game". They don't care how the customers think about their product as long as they're paying for it.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#167 Aug 28 2010 at 1:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
544 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I'm going to have to spend the next month trying to defend SE to them, trying to defend a system that -I- don't even like, just to try to get them to change their minds and play at release with me.


I am in the same boat. I have two friends and one online (different forum) who have canceled their games because of this. It really urks me I have to try and defend this in even the smallest way to try and get them to play. In fact, the only way I defend this is by saying it might change after release at some point.

I can' stand it because I feel like I am being a hypocrite. I can't stand the idea of this new system (I pretty much hate the idea of nanny-state anything) yet here I am saying give it a chance. That said, I will NEVER defend the actual system - only the idea that it will change and thats its there (for now) to curve us a bit and let their PS3 users catch up.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#168 Aug 28 2010 at 2:00 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Vackashken wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I'm going to have to spend the next month trying to defend SE to them, trying to defend a system that -I- don't even like, just to try to get them to change their minds and play at release with me.


I am in the same boat. I have two friends and one online (different forum) who have canceled their games because of this. It really urks me I have to try and defend this in even the smallest way to try and get them to play. In fact, the only way I defend this is by saying it might change after release at some point.

I can' stand it because I feel like I am being a hypocrite. I can't stand the idea of this new system (I pretty much hate the idea of nanny-state anything) yet here I am saying give it a chance. That said, I will NEVER defend the actual system - only the idea that it will change and thats its there (for now) to curve us a bit and let their PS3 users catch up.


Glad I'm not the only one who feels the way I do.

Not that that makes you or me feel better.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#169 Aug 28 2010 at 3:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
42 posts
I'm seeing these reactions at a lot of websites that aren't MMORPG related as well. There will be a thread in the gaming section and I'd say about 90% of people that said they were interested in the game will not buy it due to what they've now heard.

This isn't good at all.

I'm still going to buy it but I hope I don't have to cancel within 2 months time. :(
#170 Aug 28 2010 at 9:21 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vackashken wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I'm going to have to spend the next month trying to defend SE to them, trying to defend a system that -I- don't even like, just to try to get them to change their minds and play at release with me.


I am in the same boat. I have two friends and one online (different forum) who have canceled their games because of this. It really urks me I have to try and defend this in even the smallest way to try and get them to play. In fact, the only way I defend this is by saying it might change after release at some point.

I can' stand it because I feel like I am being a hypocrite. I can't stand the idea of this new system (I pretty much hate the idea of nanny-state anything) yet here I am saying give it a chance. That said, I will NEVER defend the actual system - only the idea that it will change and thats its there (for now) to curve us a bit and let their PS3 users catch up.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels the way I do.

Not that that makes you or me feel better.
Am I the only one that would rather have a time-based fatigue system rather than an xp/hour based system? I mean, I'd really rather have neither...
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#171 Aug 28 2010 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
The other day someone made a very good point regarding the fatigue system:

Let's say, 6 months from now, a friend of mine decides they want to play and signs up. Unfortunately, there is no way to help that friend "Catch up" so we can play together. They will always be 6 months behind me and there is nothing either of us can do about it.

So much for encouraging parties and playing with friends, huh?
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#172 Aug 28 2010 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,422 posts
seneleron wrote:
The other day someone made a very good point regarding the fatigue system:

Let's say, 6 months from now, a friend of mine decides they want to play and signs up. Unfortunately, there is no way to help that friend "Catch up" so we can play together. They will always be 6 months behind me and there is nothing either of us can do about it.

So much for encouraging parties and playing with friends, huh?


<sarcasm> Well the answer is obviously to forget about that shmuck and go out and make new friends that are at exactly your level! I mean, DUH! What are you, some antisocial jerkass hardcore? </sarcasm>

Edited, Aug 28th 2010 11:37am by RajiFarlander
____________________________
FFXIV: Raji Skybrand (Leviathan)
Give a man a fish, he'll be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll scream "F*** off noob, I know what I'm doing!" and continue to do it wrong.
#173 Aug 28 2010 at 9:42 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
While I don't agree with the system, I think it will be removed eventually or the surplus exp will actually turn out to be worthwhile down the road. Somehow the few positive posts I've read have eased my mind a bit. I just hope the game will be as challenging as XI, or close to it.
#174 Aug 28 2010 at 11:01 AM Rating: Decent
**
275 posts
Quote:
The other day someone made a very good point regarding the fatigue system:

Let's say, 6 months from now, a friend of mine decides they want to play and signs up. Unfortunately, there is no way to help that friend "Catch up" so we can play together. They will always be 6 months behind me and there is nothing either of us can do about it.

So much for encouraging parties and playing with friends, huh?


Well, there is a limit to how far ahead of him you can get. Assuming you have a class at max level, it's not like you're constantly becoming more and more ahead of him. Of course you will probably have other classes that are not at max level, and you could pick one of those that are closer to his level and wait for him. If you want a friend to catch up, there's always an element of personal responsibility as far as deciding not to out-level him on that class, and that would be true of any system. It will just take him a bit longer, assuming he's the type who would restrict large amounts of playtime to solely grinding the one class if the surplus system wasn't in place. Until he catches up you could always help him in other ways. Just a thought.
____________________________

#175 Aug 28 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
seneleron wrote:
The other day someone made a very good point regarding the fatigue system:

Let's say, 6 months from now, a friend of mine decides they want to play and signs up. Unfortunately, there is no way to help that friend "Catch up" so we can play together. They will always be 6 months behind me and there is nothing either of us can do about it.

So much for encouraging parties and playing with friends, huh?
Eh? No. Once you get to whatever the level cap is, then your friend will be able to catch up (though at a slower pace because he's not allowed to level quickly).
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#176 Aug 28 2010 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Surplus exp is just a **** block to stall us from hitting end game because , imagine this guys, the game is being released to early and there is no end game. When the **** are MMO makers going to smarten up and stop releasing MMOs WAY to early?


I'm going to be playing the game and I hope you guys will to but ive seen this countless times before and it usually ends with a game selling a lot of boxes and within the first 6 months 75% of the customers quit.

Edited, Aug 28th 2010 1:48pm by UncleRuckusForLife
____________________________

#177 Aug 28 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
it usually ends with a game selling a lot of boxes and within the first 6 months 75% of the customers quit.
Age of Conan, Aion, etc...
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#178 Aug 28 2010 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
71 posts
Quote:
seneleron wrote:
The other day someone made a very good point regarding the fatigue system:

Let's say, 6 months from now, a friend of mine decides they want to play and signs up. Unfortunately, there is no way to help that friend "Catch up" so we can play together. They will always be 6 months behind me and there is nothing either of us can do about it.

So much for encouraging parties and playing with friends, huh?


This is a game where you will not be able to power-level someone that joins later. That is a good thing in my opinion. Just like there is no PvP so you can't gank the nubs, there is no power-leveling either of yourself or of someone else.
____________________________
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut
#179 Aug 28 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
60 posts
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but do you guys think they're only having this system implemented up until the ps3 release or open beta. If it's like that, it might prevent those with the pc release/beta from getting too far ahead.
#180 Aug 28 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
441 posts
http://www.news.com.au/technology/man-to-sue-lineage-ii-for-addiction/story-e6frfrnr-1225911251238?area=technology

Just on the corporate social responsibility aspect of what some consider the Surplus system could be designed to achieve, there's the perfect example of why developers have to be seen as taking steps to avoid over-consumption of their product (refer link) - some "hardcore" gamer suing a developer for making a game too addictive...and a US Federal Judge actually encouraging the lawsuit to proceed...
____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
#181 Aug 28 2010 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
549 posts
Dik wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/man-to-sue-lineage-ii-for-addiction/story-e6frfrnr-1225911251238?area=technology

Just on the corporate social responsibility aspect of what some consider the Surplus system could be designed to achieve, there's the perfect example of why developers have to be seen as taking steps to avoid over-consumption of their product (refer link) - some "hardcore" gamer suing a developer for making a game too addictive...and a US Federal Judge actually encouraging the lawsuit to proceed...


So instead of focusing on changing what broken (regardless of how hard it may be to fix) we something that's not? I really hate people who think that's the best way to go about things.

Quote:
Really. It's right up there with "Don't push old ladies down the stairs." and "Don't poke a sleeping bear with a stick."


I wish I would have read this last week.
____________________________
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
#182 Aug 28 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
Dik wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/man-to-sue-lineage-ii-for-addiction/story-e6frfrnr-1225911251238?area=technology

Just on the corporate social responsibility aspect of what some consider the Surplus system could be designed to achieve, there's the perfect example of why developers have to be seen as taking steps to avoid over-consumption of their product (refer link) - some "hardcore" gamer suing a developer for making a game too addictive...and a US Federal Judge actually encouraging the lawsuit to proceed...



LOL, **** WTF. That's just pathetic. Reminds me of when customers started suing Mcdonalds because their food was making them fat. Com'on people, don't be so **** stupid. I know I will happily be playing ffxiv when it comes out almost every free minute I have but I will still go out with friends and family and still work my 40 + hours a week at my job.
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#183 Aug 28 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
RSquires wrote:
Dik wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/man-to-sue-lineage-ii-for-addiction/story-e6frfrnr-1225911251238?area=technology

Just on the corporate social responsibility aspect of what some consider the Surplus system could be designed to achieve, there's the perfect example of why developers have to be seen as taking steps to avoid over-consumption of their product (refer link) - some "hardcore" gamer suing a developer for making a game too addictive...and a US Federal Judge actually encouraging the lawsuit to proceed...



LOL, **** WTF. That's just pathetic. Reminds me of when customers started suing Mcdonalds because their food was making them fat. Com'on people, don't be so **** stupid. I know I will happily be playing ffxiv when it comes out almost every free minute I have but I will still go out with friends and family and still work my 40 + hours a week at my job.


That seems to be the way to do things these days, avoid personal responsibility by blaming other things. Be it metal or rap music, poor role models, video games, fast food, tobacco companies, etc.
____________________________

#184 Aug 28 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
RSquires wrote:
Dik wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/man-to-sue-lineage-ii-for-addiction/story-e6frfrnr-1225911251238?area=technology

Just on the corporate social responsibility aspect of what some consider the Surplus system could be designed to achieve, there's the perfect example of why developers have to be seen as taking steps to avoid over-consumption of their product (refer link) - some "hardcore" gamer suing a developer for making a game too addictive...and a US Federal Judge actually encouraging the lawsuit to proceed...



LOL, **** WTF. That's just pathetic. Reminds me of when customers started suing Mcdonalds because their food was making them fat. Com'on people, don't be so **** stupid. I know I will happily be playing ffxiv when it comes out almost every free minute I have but I will still go out with friends and family and still work my 40 + hours a week at my job.


That seems to be the way to do things these days, avoid personal responsibility by blaming other things. Be it metal or rap music, poor role models, video games, fast food, tobacco companies, etc.
You see, the kids, they listen to the rap music, and it gives them the brain damage.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#185 Aug 28 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
**
749 posts
Quote:
The 51-year-old says NCSoft Corp. never warned him about the danger of game addiction.


This is *SO* late 20th century. Now it's only cool to sue if you're a patent troll or a failed industry that's idea of "rebuilding a business model" is mass lawsuits.

Is Jack Thompson defending this moron?
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#186 Aug 28 2010 at 5:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
237 posts
Quote:
I wish everyone would just calm down.
Anyone who played XI from the release day should realize Tanaka-san will explain the fatigue system to us.
In March of 2012.
Alas the Myans predicted this to be the end of the world. Never thought it would be the rage induced players, caused by SEs stupidity.
#187 Aug 29 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Is Jack Thompson defending this moron?


Jack Thompson was disbarred.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#188 Aug 29 2010 at 2:14 AM Rating: Good
GrandScale wrote:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but do you guys think they're only having this system implemented up until the ps3 release or open beta. If it's like that, it might prevent those with the pc release/beta from getting too far ahead.


This actually isn't a bad theory. But, as they claim that Surplus was in the first Alpha builds and I believe they announced the delay several months afterwards, I'm not too sure that could be why.

Still, the idea has merit. I'd ere on the side of caution and just assume that Surplus is here to stay (in one form or another). Less disappointment that way when the PS3 release comes around and the system doesn't go bye-bye.
#189 Aug 29 2010 at 4:04 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
751 posts
What frustrates the **** out of me is that gamers these days cant work anything out for themselves. If you cant read an explanation of the operation of a particular part of a game on Zam (or other website), you guess how it works, insult people for not explaining how it should work and then stomp off in a strop.

In the days of gaming before the internet, you had to work it out for yourself.

I hate this instant gratification world we live in today where a game like FFXIV could fail simply because people cant be bothered to work out how a feature works - they want to be spoon fed by the developer.

I dispair.
Will there be any LS's in FFXIV where players will actually look to learn about the game by playing rather than QQ"ing on a chat room until someone else (preferably SE explains how to do it).

Disgracefull

/em shakes head at kids today!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





1 2 3 4 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)