I find myself disagreeing with you on this topic often.
Here I go again:
- Casual players dominate the Wii
- Casual players dominate cell phone games
- Casual players dominate online web games, social gaming, i.e. Mafia Wars
- Casual players do NOT dominate console games
- Casual gamers CERTAINLY do not dominate PC gaming, one in which essentially requires A NEW CPU/MOBO/GPU to play the game.
/end nerd rage....again! :p
Is the Wii not a console? Also, Square-Enix has been trying to appeal to casual gamers for pretty much EVERYTHING they do, not just XIV. Look at all their iPhone games, they even said in their reports that their casual games make far more money.
I do agree that XIV is not exactly casual-friendly since you require such a good computer to play it decently; however, that will change in time. If XIV is only hardcore oriented like XI was, it's gonna cause some serious problems (not that I don't like XI, I love XI).
Okay, score one point for you, you got me, Wii is a console :)
With that said, I don't consider it in the same class as an xbox or ps3, it's more family oriented and doesn't serve the games that most of this audience here would play.
I'm not asking for FFXI hardcore (though I loved it!), I'm just saying it's a ridiculous constraint imposed on players, that costs money to develop & continuously test for balance, which serves no point.
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)
PLD  RDM  WAR  BRD  NIN  SAM