Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

The Cheese Thread - Surplus XP editionFollow

#1 Aug 26 2010 at 1:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
283 posts
Hello! Chiming in again to drop a little ray of sunshine on what otherwise has been a cloudy day filled with whining about Surplus EXP. You folks may remember me for trying to cheer up the disgruntled PS3 fans who were met with a later release date than the PC counterparts. We had a lot of "boo-hoo"ing and threads where we cried.. So now.. I have some cheese for the new "wine" some folks have been "enjoying"

"Wine #1"... They Stole My XP!!
The Cheese: No, you have "Surplus XP"
In lamen terms.. you start earning this after you've capped out the XP you are able (as per SE) to earn during a given time period on the class you've been grinding away at. The Surplus XP currently has no value (BOO!.. will that change.. I'd wager my last gil on it!) and is class specific.. the Surplus XP from your Gladiator is not part of you Lancer Surplus XP.. (Does this sound like limit points to anyone?) So.. you can grind away..and you reach a plateau... you can still earn "experience points".. but they go into this unassigned bucket. I imagine this "bucket of XP" can be used for "something"... Think of what we could buy with merit points... would it be worth grinding away another 10k of Surplus for an DEX +1 to your physical level? Or if the surplus isn't physical level specific.. how about a Polearm Effeciency Point? Of course.. I'm speculating. But I'm sure you'll be able to redeem these surplus points in some way, shape or fashion.

"Wine #2"... My Clouderoth Tifasith can't be level 999999 after this first week! I quit!
The Cheese: Really... its an MMORPG... It's not about leveling,... only. It's not about crafting... only, It's also not about (insert whatever else you want) only. SE said they wanted a natural way for characters to progress. Seems like their answer was to make the progression a steady slope towards the top. No short cuts, No inside track. They want you to experience the full 360 degrees of the game.. or at least they don't want you to focus all of your playtime into "the grind"

Do you remember Leroy?
He went out adventuring with friends and found that he'd be better off using X as a job instead of Y as a job? Gee.. I'm sure glad Leroy had used the "downtime" on his X job so he could help out those fellow adventurers on his Y job!! Honestly.. grinding is kinda fun.. BUT.. the most enjoyment I ever got out of playing MMO's was when my friends or even a complete stranger needed a hand.. I examined what kind of help they needed.. and I job changed fit whatever niche i needed to be in.

"Wine" #3... Really.. 8 hours.. I wanna play for 32948032984093284 hours on my Gladiator!
The Cheese: Reminder--It's beta. They said the penalties would be adjusted if they were deemed to severe. I know the translation is kinda funny right now.. because 8 hours is 100% of xp.. and then imagine it would be something like 9th hour 90% (class XP) 10% (surplus) until you reach a point where you are fully earning Surplus. Let's pretend that it takes another 8 hours to reach a point were xping on a certain class seems pointless because you're not earning a decent amount of XP... So 16 hours max leveling your "Gladiator" until you get /madface. Even if you don't plan on leveling a second class/craft you could still do leves and missions to progress through the story line for a few hours a week. I dunno. I suppose I'm a bit jaded on this respect because I never played for more than 20 hours or so a week. To me this seems reasonable. However, to those who wanted to take their 1-2 weeks of vacation for game launch.. You've got 18 classes to max out each "week"..

"Wine" #4... The Hardcore player is restricted by this Casual System
The Cheese: You wanna be Hardcore? Max out all jobs before their downtime is up.
18(classes)x8hours (max XP) =144 hours of leveling / 24 (hours in a day) = 6 full days of playing a week, or 3 hours of sleep, 21 hours of play a day
Not that hardcore? Let's try 3 classes a week
3 (classes) x 8 hours (max XP) = 24 hours of leveling = 3 hours of play a day, for 7 weeks
Oh wait.. I still earn XP after the 8th hour.. just not so much. Let's add 8 hours until I'm only getting surplus (speculation, of course)
3 (classes) x 8 hours (max XP) + 8 hours (XP & Surplus XP) = 48 hours of leveling a week= 6.8 hours required to play each day
Bare minimun
1 (class) x 8 hours (max XP) + 8 hours (XP & Surplus XP) = 16 hours a week, or 2.2 hours a day.. still seems steep for casuals, if you ask me!

Note I didn't enter time for BS'ing, Shopping, changing camp, exploring, chatting, or watching the sunrise/set with your Company or Linkshell


"Wine" #5 ... Why is this guy whining about the whining... (go ahead.. quote me on it)
The Cheese: Response- It's late.. I can't sleep. It slightly aggravates me to hear people complain about a game... when it is only that.. a game. I know for some the glow of your 42" monitor is the only light that touches your skin.. except for the refrigerator light bulb when you reach for your Easy Mac and a Red Bull. But for others.. it's a game. Something to do for 2-4 hours a day for a few days a week. If it's something you don't think you'll enjoy doing.. Don't give SE your 13$ a month.
____________________________


#2 Aug 26 2010 at 1:17 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,470 posts
Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#3 Aug 26 2010 at 1:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
:)
#4 Aug 26 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Decent
*
106 posts
Thundercats HO!
#5 Aug 26 2010 at 2:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,317 posts
deronguerra wrote:
time for BS'ing, Shopping, changing camp, exploring, chatting, or watching the sunrise/set with your Company or Linkshell


Sounds great!
#6 Aug 26 2010 at 2:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Is this the airship to Bastok? I think i got lost. ><
____________________________

#7 Aug 26 2010 at 2:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
751 posts
Thankfully the "winers" wont be buying retail release and wasting their money on this pile of rubbish.

I seem to be one of the few that just loved this game in beta - so much so that I havent posted on here for a few days because I have been too busy enjoying myself.

Awesome game - cant wait for retail release.

My only wine - Terrible, terrible, terrible mouse controls.
Cheese: I have used my time in beta to greatly improve my keyboard skills and whilst there are some things you are forced to use mouse for - I can deal with it!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#8 Aug 26 2010 at 3:24 AM Rating: Decent
28 posts
A game doesn't have to be a game!
A job doesn't have to be a job!
Life doesn't have to be pre written before you've even lived it!

well it does.......but you're living it so the "editorials" you make, like loving a game more than life or a crumy job which only exists because of a douche time in evolution or wotever...well just *** that.

If a wine will change something crappy in the game into something less crap or even glorious, maybe one day we will get a PvP system!


apart from that......that was a really nice post, thank you!

Edited, Aug 26th 2010 5:25am by trutrutru
#9 Aug 26 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
550 posts
I love wine, especially a Napa cab or a beefy Zin.
____________________________
XI - Draiden 75DRG/75COR (Sylph, Retired 08)


#10 Aug 26 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Excellent
**
749 posts
Quote:
In lamen terms


I think you mean "In Layman's terms"

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Layman

Quote:
A "layman" or "layperson" is a person who is a non-expert in a given field of knowledge. The term originally meant a member of the laity, i.e. a non-clergymen, but over the centuries shifted in definition.

The concept of describing something in layman’s terms has come into wide use in the English speaking world. To put something in layman’s terms is to describe a complex or technical issue using words and terms that the average individual (someone without professional training in the subject area) can understand, so that they may comprehend the issue to some degree. The term layperson arose to be gender-neutral.

One such example could be found in the game Portal. When explaining how speed is retained when going through a portal, GLaDOS says, "In Layman's terms, Speedy thing goes in, Speedy thing comes out".

Layman, ‘laity': In short: "laity" means "common people". The English word "laity" comes from the Greek laikos which meant "of the people", "common" (common, in the meaning "unholy", "unclean" and similar). The related verb laikoô meant "to make common", "to desecrate".





Edited, Aug 26th 2010 5:31pm by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#11 Aug 26 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Excellent
**
317 posts
Haha, I am going to link to this on my thread.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#12 Aug 26 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
..
Screenshot
#13 Aug 26 2010 at 3:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
Had an idea for spending Surplus Points here if anyone wants to take a gander.
#14 Aug 26 2010 at 3:36 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
deathly809 wrote:
Haha, I am going to link to this on my thread.


I C WUT U DID THAR
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Aug 26 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
163 posts
deronguerra wrote:
Hello! Chiming in again to drop a little ray of sunshine on what otherwise has been a cloudy day filled with whining about Surplus EXP. You folks may remember me for trying to cheer up the disgruntled PS3 fans who were met with a later release date than the PC counterparts. We had a lot of "boo-hoo"ing and threads where we cried.. So now.. I have some cheese for the new "wine" some folks have been "enjoying"

"Wine #1"... They Stole My XP!!
The Cheese: No, you have "Surplus XP"
In lamen terms.. you start earning this after you've capped out the XP you are able (as per SE) to earn during a given time period on the class you've been grinding away at. The Surplus XP currently has no value (BOO!.. will that change.. I'd wager my last gil on it!) and is class specific.. the Surplus XP from your Gladiator is not part of you Lancer Surplus XP.. (Does this sound like limit points to anyone?) So.. you can grind away..and you reach a plateau... you can still earn "experience points".. but they go into this unassigned bucket. I imagine this "bucket of XP" can be used for "something"... Think of what we could buy with merit points... would it be worth grinding away another 10k of Surplus for an DEX +1 to your physical level? Or if the surplus isn't physical level specific.. how about a Polearm Effeciency Point? Of course.. I'm speculating. But I'm sure you'll be able to redeem these surplus points in some way, shape or fashion.

"Wine #2"... My Clouderoth Tifasith can't be level 999999 after this first week! I quit!
The Cheese: Really... its an MMORPG... It's not about leveling,... only. It's not about crafting... only, It's also not about (insert whatever else you want) only. SE said they wanted a natural way for characters to progress. Seems like their answer was to make the progression a steady slope towards the top. No short cuts, No inside track. They want you to experience the full 360 degrees of the game.. or at least they don't want you to focus all of your playtime into "the grind"

Do you remember Leroy?
He went out adventuring with friends and found that he'd be better off using X as a job instead of Y as a job? Gee.. I'm sure glad Leroy had used the "downtime" on his X job so he could help out those fellow adventurers on his Y job!! Honestly.. grinding is kinda fun.. BUT.. the most enjoyment I ever got out of playing MMO's was when my friends or even a complete stranger needed a hand.. I examined what kind of help they needed.. and I job changed fit whatever niche i needed to be in.

"Wine" #3... Really.. 8 hours.. I wanna play for 32948032984093284 hours on my Gladiator!
The Cheese: Reminder--It's beta. They said the penalties would be adjusted if they were deemed to severe. I know the translation is kinda funny right now.. because 8 hours is 100% of xp.. and then imagine it would be something like 9th hour 90% (class XP) 10% (surplus) until you reach a point where you are fully earning Surplus. Let's pretend that it takes another 8 hours to reach a point were xping on a certain class seems pointless because you're not earning a decent amount of XP... So 16 hours max leveling your "Gladiator" until you get /madface. Even if you don't plan on leveling a second class/craft you could still do leves and missions to progress through the story line for a few hours a week. I dunno. I suppose I'm a bit jaded on this respect because I never played for more than 20 hours or so a week. To me this seems reasonable. However, to those who wanted to take their 1-2 weeks of vacation for game launch.. You've got 18 classes to max out each "week"..

"Wine" #4... The Hardcore player is restricted by this Casual System
The Cheese: You wanna be Hardcore? Max out all jobs before their downtime is up.
18(classes)x8hours (max XP) =144 hours of leveling / 24 (hours in a day) = 6 full days of playing a week, or 3 hours of sleep, 21 hours of play a day
Not that hardcore? Let's try 3 classes a week
3 (classes) x 8 hours (max XP) = 24 hours of leveling = 3 hours of play a day, for 7 weeks
Oh wait.. I still earn XP after the 8th hour.. just not so much. Let's add 8 hours until I'm only getting surplus (speculation, of course)
3 (classes) x 8 hours (max XP) + 8 hours (XP & Surplus XP) = 48 hours of leveling a week= 6.8 hours required to play each day
Bare minimun
1 (class) x 8 hours (max XP) + 8 hours (XP & Surplus XP) = 16 hours a week, or 2.2 hours a day.. still seems steep for casuals, if you ask me!

Note I didn't enter time for BS'ing, Shopping, changing camp, exploring, chatting, or watching the sunrise/set with your Company or Linkshell


"Wine" #5 ... Why is this guy whining about the whining... (go ahead.. quote me on it)
The Cheese: Response- It's late.. I can't sleep. It slightly aggravates me to hear people complain about a game... when it is only that.. a game. I know for some the glow of your 42" monitor is the only light that touches your skin.. except for the refrigerator light bulb when you reach for your Easy Mac and a Red Bull. But for others.. it's a game. Something to do for 2-4 hours a day for a few days a week. If it's something you don't think you'll enjoy doing.. Don't give SE your 13$ a month.


/clap
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#16 Aug 26 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
deathly809 wrote:
Haha, I am going to link to this on my thread.


I C WUT U DID THAR


Will it be a link to the past thread of yours? Smiley: rolleyes
#17 Aug 26 2010 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
*
96 posts
I love surplus XP just to **** people off:)
#18 Aug 26 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
**
317 posts
Quote:
I C WUT U DID THAR


Oh god... kill me now
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)