Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FF MMORPG HatersFollow

#1 Aug 29 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
I know a lot of people who are like this:

Me: Hey FFXIV is coming out and it looks pretty cool.
Them: Oh is that Online?
Me: Yeah, it's their new MMO.
Them: I tried FFXI and I hated it.
Me: This isn't FFXI, it's a new game. Not an expansion, it uses the same races basically but everything else is different.
Them: I can't wait for SWTOR!
or an alternative to this last comment
Them: Nothing beats WoW and when Cataclysm comes out it's gonna be even more the best!

This bothers me because people aren't even willing to listen to what the game is about, or hear about any of it's new systems before they shun it, f#&@ers.
#2 Aug 29 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want a lot of that type of player in the game anyways. The one thing I liked about ffxi is that while it DOES cater to many age levels, the average maturity of its playerbase was way ahead of most other games (like WoW). Sure you had your occasional asshat or ninja, but there were a lot of really good players who knew their roles and weren't whiny, loud, or annoying. If everyone from WoW played ffxiv, I don't know if I could really handle that. I HATED the community in WoW just because of the massive quantity of overly annoying people. My ignore list was literally FULL in probably 2 weeks of play. That's not fun to me.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#3 Aug 29 2010 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
The J in JRPG tends to turn off most WPRGers.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#4 Aug 29 2010 at 10:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Blame the almost total lack of NA advertising.
____________________________


#5 Aug 29 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
KujaKoF wrote:
Blame the almost total lack of NA advertising.


I gotta go with this as well.
#6 Aug 29 2010 at 11:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want a lot of that type of player in the game anyways. The one thing I liked about ffxi is that while it DOES cater to many age levels, the average maturity of its playerbase was way ahead of most other games (like WoW). Sure you had your occasional asshat or ninja, but there were a lot of really good players who knew their roles and weren't whiny, loud, or annoying. If everyone from WoW played ffxiv, I don't know if I could really handle that. I HATED the community in WoW just because of the massive quantity of overly annoying people. My ignore list was literally FULL in probably 2 weeks of play. That's not fun to me.


This is true but it would be nice if more than one other person I knew in RL was excited about this game. >_<

Quote:
Blame the almost total lack of NA advertising.


I'm hoping in the weeks before release, or even post release, this changes and we see some advertising over here. I doubt it though.
#7 Aug 29 2010 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
***
1,353 posts
Nothing against the OP, but who gives a **** about these people? Contrary to popular belief you don't need 10 million people to have a "successful" MMORPG. People that want to play it will play it. I've encountered a number of the same people the OP talks about and by the end of every conversation, I'm hoping they won't even bother trying it because I don't want to play with them.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#8 Aug 29 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
Nothing against the OP, but who gives a **** about these people? Contrary to popular belief you don't need 10 million people to have a "successful" MMORPG. People that want to play it will play it. I've encountered a number of the same people the OP talks about and by the end of every conversation, I'm hoping they won't even bother trying it because I don't want to play with them.


It's just because these are the people I talk to every day. I don't always talk about FFXIV, in fact I rarely do or try to, but it sucks when I'm really excited about something I found out about and no one will even give it a second glance.
#9 Aug 29 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Let's also not forget that the game isn't even out yet and they've had almost 150k pre-orders. Yeah, I think they'll do just fine. >.>

142k sales
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#10 Aug 29 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,673 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
It's just because these are the people I talk to every day. I don't always talk about FFXIV, in fact I rarely do or try to, but it sucks when I'm really excited about something I found out about and no one will even give it a second glance.


We're here for you. Most people I know don't play the games I do so game conversations don't go far. On here I can talk about it all I want with other people who are actually interested in it.
#11 Aug 29 2010 at 12:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
189 posts
Geffe the Meaningless wrote:


We're here for you. Most people I know don't play the games I do so game conversations don't go far. On here I can talk about it all I want with other people who are actually interested in it.


^^ This made me feel warm inside :D
____________________________
FFXIV: Kendall Lawliet, Lindblum Server

____________________________________
FFXI: Inch 75 bst / 75 thf / 75 blm
and others not worth mentioning.
_______________________________________________

Sore WOW . Level 49 Undead Mage. Boulderfist Server.
__________________________________________________

Inchy:SMN 69/WHM 46
#12 Aug 29 2010 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I don't blame the lack of advertising, I blame the abundance of negative press that XI has gotten over the years, and that XIV is starting to see. Not all of it is undeserved, either. SE could stand to take a good, hard look at their methods and improve in a lot of places, and maybe folks will be more open to trying it out when the GOOD articles start cropping up.

WoW has a chokehold, but all SE really has to do is take out the ******** things that they *think* people want (or rather, what they think people SHOULD want), and FFXIV will start to pull some of those folks away. SE has always been brilliant at telling a story. They need to worry more about telling the stories, and less about forcing people to get stuck on one portion of it for weeks at a time.
#13 Aug 29 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
**
529 posts
Ive been trying to convert a buddy of mine that plays wow for the last year. I showed him the new pre-release trailer last night and he just "meh'd" at it.

I dont see whats so fun about mashing a few choice buttons while running through a dungeon in what looks to be 16bit graphics.

____________________________

#14 Aug 29 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
InchKujata wrote:
Geffe the Meaningless wrote:


We're here for you. Most people I know don't play the games I do so game conversations don't go far. On here I can talk about it all I want with other people who are actually interested in it.


^^ This made me feel warm inside :D


OT: INCH!
(sorry, he's an old friend, it's been years) lol

I've been talking about FFXIV in WoW with friends I've made there and it's like they have this WoW bubble surrounding them. Nothing penetrates unless the words raid or Cataclysm were used. It's not that they're haters, they're just insular and never tried to get into something more challenging.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#15 Aug 29 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Default
***
1,457 posts
FF MMOs are not as fast paced and organized as western mmos. I understand why they don't like them. If someone played FFXI for a few months and didn't like it, chances are they won't like XIV either. There is just as much mindless "passing" on western MMOs in our camp.

I've read people literally write things in these forums such as "I logged in to WoW, played it for an hour and logged out. I hated it." or "WoW is too easy."

Quote:
they're just insular and never tried to get into something more challenging

Aside from AV and PW, endgame in WoW was not only just as difficult, but more interactive and fun than FFXIs in my opinion.

Let's just stop arguing about this stuff.

Edited, Aug 29th 2010 12:57pm by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#16 Aug 29 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
FF MMOs are not as fast paced and organized as western mmos.

Just curious, since I never played western MMOs...What do you mean by that?

Other than that, I think OP shouldn't stress out too much about it. It's like your favorite sports team, beer, or political view: to each his own. :)
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#17 Aug 29 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
uomaru wrote:
GuardianFaith wrote:
FF MMOs are not as fast paced and organized as western mmos.

Just curious, since I never played western MMOs...What do you mean by that?

Other than that, I think OP shouldn't stress out too much about it. It's like your favorite sports team, beer, or political view: to each his own. :)


Despite my best efforts to gradually force myself away from the world of rabid sports fans, when I see a Gators bumpersticker/license plate/flag etc. on the road I still want to ram their car...
____________________________

#18 Aug 29 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*
80 posts
This video sums it up pretty good. (caution due to some strong language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmy7Ze18NY
____________________________

#19 Aug 29 2010 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Despite my best efforts to gradually force myself away from the world of rabid sports fans, when I see a Gators bumpersticker/license plate/flag etc. on the road I still want to ram their car...

Rate up~! Even though I'm not a sports fan, it still made me lol.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#20 Aug 29 2010 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
w34v3r wrote:
The J in JRPG tends to turn off most WPRGers.


It's not that, it's the fact that FFXI was a huge grindfest and has a reputation for it. Most people are turned off by that so they would rather not give FFXIV a try thinking it's about the same...and so far it's actually turning out that way, we'll see in open beta if it's changed.
#21 Aug 29 2010 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
169 posts
Quote:
This video sums it up pretty good. (caution due to some strong language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmy7Ze18NY


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome.
____________________________
XIV: Misfit Stormrider - Kashuan
XI: Kujata - Razoredge (Long Retired)

A possible retainer idea

#22 Aug 29 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
FF MMOs are not as fast paced and organized as western mmos. I understand why they don't like them. If someone played FFXI for a few months and didn't like it, chances are they won't like XIV either. There is just as much mindless "passing" on western MMOs in our camp.

I've read people literally write things in these forums such as "I logged in to WoW, played it for an hour and logged out. I hated it." or "WoW is too easy."

Quote:
they're just insular and never tried to get into something more challenging

Aside from AV and PW, endgame in WoW was not only just as difficult, but more interactive and fun than FFXIs in my opinion.

Let's just stop arguing about this stuff.

Edited, Aug 29th 2010 12:57pm by GuardianFaith


I wasn't arguing about it, just making an observation. In my opinion, I'd say a large number of WoW players would not have the patience or take the time to level a craft in FFXI, level all the jobs needed for subs for crafts or their jobs, or put 3-4 years into the game itself on just one character.
I play WoW.
I raid every week in ICC.
It's a fun game. I still think a majority of WoW players wouldn't last long in FF.

____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#23 Aug 29 2010 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Biggest knocks on wow are -

The community is crap(as a whole)
The graphics are cartoony
The game is easy(not really true)

Positives wow has -

WoW has very dynamic boss fights(Almost never a tank and spank)
Wow can be run on a computer built 10 years ago
Blizzard actually has a wonderful PR and Marketing team and talks to english speaking people(in english!)
FULLY customizable UI
Ease of use- you can hop in at any time of day and do something productive(Farm,do daily quests,do heroics, BGs, arenas)
Very useful auction house, very easy to use
Fully customizable chat channels
Very easy to use easy to understand fully functionable guild structure

If people are enjoying themselves in WoW FFXIV isnt going to pull them away, wow is a well oiled machine and FFXIV is a JRPG that has many of the basic functions of the game hidden in secrecy (surplus exp until recent explanation.
____________________________

#24 Aug 29 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
163 posts
I have to admit I did try WoW, just to see what the big deal was all about. I felt like I fired up my Sega Genesis and start playing. I really hated the graphics. I mean if there was nothing else to do, yea it's fun to kill time with. Altho I did find the mounts cool when someone went by me riding some big *** dragon but then it lost the coolness when someone else followed behind him in what looked like a Harley Davision. I was like WTF?!?!? Whats really weird is my sisters husband and his best friend are hardcore WoW players (tho you'd never guess it if they hadn't told me), so it's always a huge debate when we have family gatherings. Last two we've had, I spend the whole time talk to them about the new FFXIV and how it wasn't just some add-on to 11 and those two just say how WoW is better and it has a bigger fan base and if it's so good why don't they seen any commericals on it. The debates are more friendly then anything but still annoyed that they won't even try it out and yet the ff11 players i know atleast gave WoW a try before coming to a decision.
____________________________
So I rated you up for no good reason, big deal. Wanna fight about it?
#25 Aug 29 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
66 posts
Personally, I don't think folks from WoW and/or other mmos would prosper in FFXI and FFXIV. I have many friends who play WoW and WAR, and their response about FFXI and FFXIV is exactly what you posted. Main reason for their response is that FFXI is too much of an asian grind mmo. They see FFXI as too much of a job than a game. That same reasoning they assume will be FFXIV.

WoW and games like WAR aren't much about grinding but about either instances and PvP. FFXIV is generalized as your typical asian mmo that relates to many gamers as a grindfest. It is an unfair assessment of a game that hasn't even been released but to my friends it is what it is. I explain to them that FF mmos isn't everyone and after the whole fatigue debate it isn't everyone. But, to me, that isn't such a bad thing. No mmorpg can beat WoW in terms of subscriptions but I approach FFXIV as something that should attempt it anyways. FF mmos are a niche game that you either love or hate.
____________________________
Phoenix Server, Final Fantasy XI (Retired)
Etoh 75 Warrior, 75 White Mage, 75 Black Mage, 75 Summoner
37 Ninja, 37 Red Mage, 37 Samurai, 37 Thief, 37 Monk, 37 Blue Mage, 37 Dark Knight

Volkmar Server, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (Retired)
Diabolos Nox R40/RR80 Sorcerer
Greasuss R40/RR68 Choppa
Rhra R40/RR63 Zealot
#26 Aug 29 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
287 posts
Honestly I don't want any of the majority WoW players to even look at this game. Sure there were few players in my time in WoW I would love to have playing with me. But there was something that **** near all of them shared; WoW wasn't their first MMO. Those were the people who didn't whine and pitch a fit if something showed the inkling of being difficult. **** as of the moment, I don't want a majority of the posters in the Beta forum for XIV to play. I want to play with people who understand that the idea of needs of the group outweigh the needs of a single person and be fine with it. You won't get that with the majority of the players that were introduced into this genre from WoW, especially those who joined during the LK expansion.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#27 Aug 29 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I've played WoW and it's pretty fun, but aside from raid hardmodes, the content is intentionally unchallenging ever since LK.

Vanilla and BC were reasonably challenging raids, but I will say that anyone who never successfully raided pre LK content at level, or has never successfully completed LK raid hardmode at current tier would probably not last long in XI or XIV.

LK ruined nearly all of the "challenge" that WoW had left. No more needing to walk to instances, nearly all of the elites outside of instances have been removed, mobs in starter areas are all non aggro, and up until you hit endgame, the entire thing is totally faceroll.

Like I said, find me someone who raided Vanilla or BC content, or someone who regularly completes hardmode LK content and you have yourself a good player. Other than that, the rest of the game is deathly easy.

And regardless of game, any player who refuses to try a game simply for no reason other than because it's not another game is usually just someone I shake my head at. Whether they won't try anything but WoW or even XI players who refuse to play any other game other than XI.

Despite the fact that I believe WoW to be unbelievably easy, I still think people should give the free trial a shot. Or EVE. Or EQ. Or something.

Play some other games and be more well rounded. Experience other systems and decide how you feel about them, rather than instantly dismissing a game just because some ******* on the internet says it's horrible.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#28 Aug 29 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
We're here for you. Most people I know don't play the games I do so game conversations don't go far. On here I can talk about it all I want with other people who are actually interested in it.


Thanks, exactly why I come here. =D

Quote:
Wow can be run on a computer built 10 years ago


I would actually say this is a con. I don't think it's a good thing that the graphics are so archaic that the computer I had 10 years ago would run it.

Also although FFXI and XIV are asian MMORPGs I don't think they have the same feel as any others. I think they are the furthest set apart from other asian MMORPGs, and the most unique. For instance I played Maple Story and Aion which are both huge in asia, and neither of them reminded me at all of FFXI.
#29 Aug 29 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
OniElvaan wrote:
Honestly I don't want any of the majority WoW players to even look at this game. Sure there were few players in my time in WoW I would love to have playing with me. But there was something that **** near all of them shared; WoW wasn't their first MMO. Those were the people who didn't whine and pitch a fit if something showed the inkling of being difficult. **** as of the moment, I don't want a majority of the posters in the Beta forum for XIV to play. I want to play with people who understand that the idea of needs of the group outweigh the needs of a single person and be fine with it. You won't get that with the majority of the players that were introduced into this genre from WoW, especially those who joined during the LK expansion.


I had a Guild in WoW that had, as an entry requirement, that you HAD to have played at least one other MMORPG before WoW. Didn't matter which.

Best guild I ever had.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Aug 29 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
If they hated FFXI then i bet they will hate FFXIV even more.

Im kinda of the middle of who cares and i do care.

Whos cares for those players because it only matters what you like.

Then again, i care a little because friends i know for years are only into console quick common gaming or better said just nothing in the online MMORPGs especially on the PC.

Ive tried getting them into it but they always say it looks very complicated and slow paced.

Also, for years ive been saying that NA have way to many war related games as in today with rifles and tanks.
Yet JP seems more like a anime RPG state of gaming at least more conservative.
Dont get me wrong though, i like blowing thing up too but mostly like strategy and alliances, not just mindless competition.

Just one problem:
Ide have to partially agree with the lack of NA advertising for MMORPGs but if it will keep the wild gunning/cursing people out so be it then. I wouldn't want to ruin a great online game just because it is popular in a region with tons of aholes wanting to join.

PS
Ive played so many NA online games and most are plagued with severe spam of useless rants, flames and what not.
This is why i love FFXI and will love FFXIV also. No fighting, no flames and no headaches. Just tranquil but yet exciting online gaming with many people.
____________________________
One day maybe:
ShaolinGate.com
#31 Aug 29 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
I definitely think NA needs more advertisement for MMORPGs. That being said it's extremely sad that I've seen ads for Maple Story on TV here, which is a FTP microtransaction game, and yet they don't have commercials for many large titles...
#32 Aug 29 2010 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,131 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Play some other games and be more well rounded. Experience other systems and decide how you feel about them, rather than instantly dismissing a game just because some ******* on the internet says it's horrible.

Rate up, ++, QFT and all that. Especially if there's a free trial available of an MMO a friend talks about a lot, give it a shot to see what it's all about. Sure, maybe you do end up not liking it, but at least you have some real experience behind that opinion rather than simply dismissing it. No game can appeal to everyone, and that's fine. But who knows, maybe you end up liking it and find a new game to hang out with your friends in. ^^
____________________________
FFXI: Triane [Caitsith], Retired
DRK75, THF75, RDM71

FFXIV: Triane Rhiga [Besaid]
Pugilist, Marauder, Fisher
#33 Aug 29 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,535 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
Quote:
Wow can be run on a computer built 10 years ago


I would actually say this is a con. I don't think it's a good thing that the graphics are so archaic that the computer I had 10 years ago would run it.


Well keep in mind that, in the case of WoW, there's an enormous gap between the lowest and highest graphics settings.

Stylized graphics aside (since that's purely a matter of taste), the game looks really good with maxed settings - but to do so, you need a current-gen graphics card or a top-of-the-line previous-gen card. Sure, it can run on older hardware, but it won't look anywhere near as good, and even with settings on low will have performance problems doing large-group content - I used to use a Radeon 9550, and while it was fine for soloing and 5-mans, the frame rate in 25-man raids was almost unplayable, even with all settings as low as they went.

But because the minimum specs are so low, if someone hears about it from a friend, for example, and wants to try it out, they don't need to worry about "can my computer play this?", and if they find they like it and stick with it to the point where performance is an issue, they're likelier to upgrade their computer so they can keep playing than to just stop playing.
#34 Aug 29 2010 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
A lot of good posts in this thread.

1. I don't care who plays FFXIV as long as there are other people playing, the community is well rounded and the game is fun.

2. My friends don't like RPGs or MMORPGS so I don't concern myself with trying to convert them.

3. The Western RPG vs. JRPG is strange to me. I love playing both although I can see where the JRPG 'cuteness' factor can turn some players off. However JRPGS have a ton of Western type lore like some Norse character names and the like. I think both can learn a lot from each other.

For example I didn't play Conan or LOTR because I wasn't interested. To be honest I was prejudiced against them because I felt they were WoW clones and I assumed they were cut from the same cloth.

Same with Aion. Great graphics, but horrible grind.

The reasons I'm playing FFXIV are personal. I love Final Fantasy's art direction, and music and I'm familiar with the class system and magic system.

Plus I loved FFXI but couldn't play it once I garnered more responsibilities. It looks like in FFXIV I can log for an hour and get something done. But your average joe isn't going to care or know about any of that.

The only way to get a lot of people to play this game is by:

1. Shoving it down their throats via advertising.

2. Give a lot of positive incentives to the casual player.

3. Make things easy.

From the sound of it SE wants to have it both ways. I just don't know what those ways are yet... ;)
#35 Aug 29 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
Stylized graphics aside (since that's purely a matter of taste), the game looks really good with maxed settings


I was told this by a friend, so I downloaded the WoW trial and put it to max settings and I thought it looked like garbage. Maybe it's just my preference, but I would say it's because of the gigantic polygons and less-than-amazing texture resolutions.
#36 Aug 29 2010 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
This irks me the most:

Person: Oh, I play Final Fantasy! I've played X and XII and I just got XIII!
Me: What about XI?
Person: What's Final Fantasy XI? I've never heard of it...

It seems like in the casual gaming community, people seem to ignore XI or treat it like it doesn't even exist. ><
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#37 Aug 29 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Kierk wrote:

1. Shoving it down their throats via advertising.


That has the opposite effect on me...I hate Geico & Progressive because their commercials are ALWAYS there...
You'd guess that people change insurance companies every few days with the amount of airplay these things get...
____________________________

#38 Aug 29 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
Person: Oh, I play Final Fantasy! I've played X and XII and I just got XIII!
Me: What about XI?
Person: What's Final Fantasy XI? I've never heard of it...

It seems like in the casual gaming community, people seem to ignore XI or treat it like it doesn't even exist. ><


That confuses me the most I think. How is it that avid FF players don't know what one of the numbered games even is? Lol.
#39 Aug 29 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Why do you want WoW players in FFXIV anyway? WoW is the /b/ of MMORPGs.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#40 Aug 29 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
Quote:
Person: Oh, I play Final Fantasy! I've played X and XII and I just got XIII!
Me: What about XI?
Person: What's Final Fantasy XI? I've never heard of it...

It seems like in the casual gaming community, people seem to ignore XI or treat it like it doesn't even exist. ><


That confuses me the most I think. How is it that avid FF players don't know what one of the numbered games even is? Lol.


Either they don't know roman numerals, or that XI is so hard to find in stores. There are some GameStops around me that haven't heard of XI either and they don't have the Ultimate Collection in stock or anything.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#41 Aug 29 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,131 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
You'd guess that people change insurance companies every few days with the amount of airplay these things get...

Well, since all the insurance commercials say that you'll save money if you switch to them, my dad likes to say that therefore if you switch enough times then they'll start paying you for insurance. ;)

BRizzl3 wrote:
That confuses me the most I think. How is it that avid FF players don't know what one of the numbered games even is? Lol.

Or, I don't know, notice that there's a distinct gap between X and XII? "Gee, what ever happened to FFXI? They seemed to have skipped something there...."
____________________________
FFXI: Triane [Caitsith], Retired
DRK75, THF75, RDM71

FFXIV: Triane Rhiga [Besaid]
Pugilist, Marauder, Fisher
#42 Aug 29 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*
80 posts
I think what makes me even more mad, is when people say the Online FF games don't deserve to be numbered. Like they are somehow inferior to the rest of the series. Tactics wasn't numbered, and that was one of my favorites, it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest if they had included it in the "numbered" line of FF games.
____________________________

#43 Aug 29 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Kierk wrote:

1. Shoving it down their throats via advertising.


That has the opposite effect on me...I hate Geico & Progressive because their commercials are ALWAYS there...
You'd guess that people change insurance companies every few days with the amount of airplay these things get...


You know who Geico and Progressive are though right?

That's all it takes.

I'm not saying I like ads either, but for a non-gamer who knows nothing, they can be very powerful.
#44 Aug 29 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
393 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Despite the fact that I believe WoW to be unbelievably easy, I still think people should give the free trial a shot. Or EVE. Or EQ. Or something.

Why didn't I think of that? Excellent suggestion as I'm bored out of my mind atm.
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#45 Aug 29 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
43 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
Quote:
Person: Oh, I play Final Fantasy! I've played X and XII and I just got XIII!
Me: What about XI?
Person: What's Final Fantasy XI? I've never heard of it...

It seems like in the casual gaming community, people seem to ignore XI or treat it like it doesn't even exist. ><


That confuses me the most I think. How is it that avid FF players don't know what one of the numbered games even is? Lol.


There's a whole camp of people who totally consider themselves FF fans, but don't even consider XI and XIV as "true" FF games even though there's no true continuity between the games in the series. I'm a bit inclined to side with them as I would've preferred SE label them as Final Fantasy Online and Final Fantasy Online II.

Makes me wonder what's going to happen 5 or 10+ years from now. Will the XI servers still be up? How would you explain to a new and young FF fan about XI considering he/she will never truly experience it for him/herself? I'd like to know how someone could explain XI to me since I've never played it before (and have no desire to) and I've been a FF fan since I was 5 (I'm 24 now). But I digress.

I quit WoW a year and a half ago, but I had my fun with the game. For me, WoW was an activity between me and my friends and the game's approachability really helped in that regard. I cherish the great Vent conversations we had more than the game we played. When my friends quit, I quit. So whenever I hear people say WoW was "easy" it makes me wonder if they were only playing the game for/by themselves.

As for XIV with my friends, it's questionable at this point since they do not have the computer specs (or interest) to play the game and they do not want to spend that much money for a single game. Understandable, but makes me sad. :(
#46 Aug 29 2010 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
*
80 posts
Quote:
I quit WoW a year and a half ago, but I had my fun with the game. For me, WoW was an activity between me and my friends and the game's approachability really helped in that regard. I cherish the great Vent conversations we had more than the game we played. When my friends quit, I quit. So whenever I hear people say WoW was "easy" it makes me wonder if they were only playing the game for/by themselves.


I think a lot of people here will agree that the reason that ffxi still has so many subscriptions is not just because it is a great game, but because it has such a great community.

Edited, Aug 29th 2010 9:40pm by Sploder
____________________________

#47 Aug 29 2010 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
I quit WoW a year and a half ago, but I had my fun with the game. For me, WoW was an activity between me and my friends and the game's approachability really helped in that regard. I cherish the great Vent conversations we had more than the game we played. When my friends quit, I quit. So whenever I hear people say WoW was "easy" it makes me wonder if they were only playing the game for/by themselves.


wow IS easy, not sure how your saying its not. Anyways, after my friends quit I did too, everyone else was a jerk or plain didn't care I had no reason to stay. In XI, even after my friends quit (they always do..) there was plenty of friendly people ingame to keep me there. I'm hoping that the same will be the case for me for XIV (I know my friends will quit after the first or second month, they ALWAYS do, every game)

Anyways, my brother wont play this game because its named FFXIV and he believes they should do name it something else. Eh, oh well.
____________________________


#48 Aug 29 2010 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Silverwyrm wrote:
Quote:
I quit WoW a year and a half ago, but I had my fun with the game. For me, WoW was an activity between me and my friends and the game's approachability really helped in that regard. I cherish the great Vent conversations we had more than the game we played. When my friends quit, I quit. So whenever I hear people say WoW was "easy" it makes me wonder if they were only playing the game for/by themselves.


wow IS easy, not sure how your saying its not. Anyways, after my friends quit I did too, everyone else was a jerk or plain didn't care I had no reason to stay. In XI, even after my friends quit (they always do..) there was plenty of friendly people ingame to keep me there. I'm hoping that the same will be the case for me for XIV (I know my friends will quit after the first or second month, they ALWAYS do, every game)

Anyways, my brother wont play this game because its named FFXIV and he believes they should do name it something else. Eh, oh well.



Saying "wow is easy" is easy to do. Actually proving wow is easy by completing Heroic LK 25 man or being a gladiator for all of the arena seasons is something only a small small fraction of the community can claim. Hanging out in Dal is easy. doing ICC 10 and 25 normal mode(expecially now with the 30% buff) is easy but actually doing the true end game isnt nearly as easy.
____________________________

#49 Aug 29 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
but actually doing the true end game isnt nearly as easy.
Yeah because all of the old "true" endgame was still tough before they raised the level cap and destroyed all of the previous endgame content.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#50 Aug 29 2010 at 11:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
I have to admit I did try WoW, just to see what the big deal was all about. I felt like I fired up my Sega Genesis and start playing


I'm so confused when I hear this. WoW on max settings is amazingly crisp and bright. The detail in wood, stone, landscape, etc is still pretty to look at to this day. I prefer the animations in ffxi but I can't say I think the graphics are anywhere near the clarity of WoWs. Standing next to a 500ft high mountain in WoW is really like being there with the scale at which they build the game. Not only that but I can actually fly up to the top and jump off if I want to! let the flaming begin.

____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#51 Aug 29 2010 at 11:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
bsphil wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
but actually doing the true end game isnt nearly as easy.
Yeah because all of the old "true" endgame was still tough before they raised the level cap and destroyed all of the previous endgame content.


Yeah, you kinda tear your argument apart because Blizzard has come out and said that they include hard modes to cater to the best of the best players, and they know full well that, ACCORDING TO BLIZZARD, a tiny portion of the playerbase is capable of doing hardmodes effectively.

If you did Vanilla/BCC raids at tier or you do LK hardmode raids at current tier, then yes, you're a good player. You're a great player. The skill and precision required to accomplish these things is very high, and the people that accomplish these feats are extremely talented.

The rest of the game, including normal mode fights, is **** easy. This is by design.

The problem is that as a result of years of people whining about how they "couldn't experience endgame content" (because they're terrible), the result was Wrath of the Fail King; an expansion that proceeded to nerf the living **** out of everything, so that everyone, even the 2 hour a day casuals, could "experience endgame content". They made the entire game easy as **** so that even a quadriplegic brain-dead mouth breather could get to endgame. Get them to stop drooling long enough and they can usually take down the content after they stop standing in fire and doing 1K DPS.

So yes, the "true endgame" is challenging. The rest of the game is easy.

And how hard is easy?

70% of trial accounts quit before level 10.

So yeah. Vanilla/BC raids and former "endgame" 5 mans like BC heroics (at level 70) and 5 man level 60 instances (at level 60 or lower) were challenging. Everything added to the game after LK is unbelievably easy in comparison. And people still manage to **** it up and cry for more nerfs.

So long as Blizzard continues to add hard mode content, the game will still have a saving grace in terms of difficulty, but the rest of the game remains nothing more than a matter of inserting square pegs into square holes, and a ******* of players who can't figure out why their round pegs don't fit.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)