Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Server names up - where will you play?Follow

#52 Aug 31 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
While we're all on the topic of liking X-2, I'm going to open up a giant can of worms here and become the greatest blasphemer of them all: I've never played Final Fantasy VI. That game is nigh impossible to get ahold of nowadays, and I weep because of it. I feel like I'm seriously missing out.

Quote:
Is there a particular server which the East Coast EST crowd is heading to?

Meh, no one can say for certain, but from what I've gathered, Kefka = MidWest; Ultimecia = East; Sephiroth = EVERYWHERE.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#53 Aug 31 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
Guys I'm almost 100% positive the official release (Open beta server) are going to be different names. Most of you may not know this but the FFXI beta server names (The PS2, JP only one) used final boss names for the beta servers as well. Tell me do we have those same boss names for our servers on FFXI now? I don't know what we are going to get for final release names, but I am fairly sure we won't be seeing the boss names that exist for closed beta.

These were the FFXI beta server names Chaos, Zande, Golbez and Xdeath
#54 Aug 31 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
550 posts
Maybe the server names will be the guardian names, I said it here first!
____________________________
XI - Draiden 75DRG/75COR (Sylph, Retired 08)


#55 Aug 31 2010 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
w34v3r wrote:
While we're all on the topic of liking X-2, I'm going to open up a giant can of worms here and become the greatest blasphemer of them all: I've never played Final Fantasy VI. That game is nigh impossible to get ahold of nowadays, and I weep because of it. I feel like I'm seriously missing out.

Quote:
Is there a particular server which the East Coast EST crowd is heading to?

Meh, no one can say for certain, but from what I've gathered, Kefka = MidWest; Ultimecia = East; Sephiroth = EVERYWHERE.


Yes that is blasphemy, but...there's emulators, buying a cheap, used PS1 and playing that version, a cheap, used GBA and that version...actually a super nintendo and original version would probably be the most expensive way to go...but there's no excuses!

Edited, Aug 31st 2010 9:01pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#56 Aug 31 2010 at 7:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
why do people keep saying kefka will be a 'midwest server' because of some thread on ZAM?
#57 Aug 31 2010 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
stuck wrote:
why do people keep saying kefka will be a 'midwest server' because of some thread on ZAM?


It's more like, a group of Zam people from the midwest will be on Kefka rather than "all of Kefka will be a midwest server"
____________________________

#58 Aug 31 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
I'm undecided. Here's all the FF games I've played in the order that I liked them, don't kill me lol.

1. XIII
2. II/IV
3. VII
4. VI
5. Mystic Quest(this actually was my favorite before but I haven't played it in ages and barely remember it except that you could only have 2 spells on each character, need a replay though)
6. I

All of them were great games so don't hate! I know most won't like that I think XIII is the best but I thought the battle system was a refreshing change, it was great how fast paced it was and yet still tactical. Also I loved the s$*% out of XIII's story, and ending. Also Lightning, Vanille, and Sazh FTW.
#59 Aug 31 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I'm a little torn.

Golbez is the villain of the first FF I ever played, one of my favorites, and he's a badass.

But Jecht is my favorite FF villain, I love his story and FFX is another of my absolute favorites.

They're both complete badasses that are direct blood relatives of their games' main character and are more "tragic heroes" than "evil bad guys".

If the servers do keep these names, I'm probably leaning towards Jecht, but it'll be a tough choice...
#60 Aug 31 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
They're both complete badasses that are direct blood relatives of their games' main character and are more "tragic heroes" than "evil bad guys".


If you're gonna call any FF villain tragic it's Sephiroth. I think FFVII is the only game where I felt a huge amount of sympathy for the antagonist. It actually made me feel really bad for Sephiroth, he lived a hard-knock life. ;(
#61 Aug 31 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
Yes that is blasphemy, but...there's emulators, buying a cheap, used PS1 and playing that version, a cheap, used GBA and that version...actually a super nintendo and original version would probably be the most expensive way to go...but there's no excuses!

I don't use emulators. :x No idea where to find a PSX nowadays, much less the game. The GBA version is the likeliest option, but even that is difficult to find... I'm just hoping they realize it's a cult favorite and finally decide to add it to the Wii Virtual Console / Playstation Network.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#62 Aug 31 2010 at 7:22 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
w34v3r wrote:
I'm just hoping they realize it's a cult favorite and finally decide to add it to the Wii Virtual Console / Playstation Network.


That would be smart of them, ****, they'd even get people like me who have played it a million times thinking about buying it again lol I only sold my GBA & FF collection on that a few months ago and that was still tough to do...
____________________________

#63 Aug 31 2010 at 7:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*
61 posts
I have to say I'm surprised that all of the X-2 fans didn't get downrated into oblivion!

Now, we did get downrated mostly to decent >.> but not nearly as bad as expected!

I am not alone!
#64 Aug 31 2010 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I could never really get into VIII, though I tried. I couldn't get into IX when it first came out, but I went back to it some years later and I loved it. I think the nostalgia factor kicked it into overdrive for me. Uh, no pun intended, believe it or not.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#65 Aug 31 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Kachi wrote:
I could never really get into VIII, though I tried. I couldn't get into IX when it first came out, but I went back to it some years later and I loved it. I think the nostalgia factor kicked it into overdrive for me. Uh, no pun intended, believe it or not.


I didn't like VIII at first but it grew on me. I really liked the GFs, particularly Doom Train. I never really got into IX, though my favorite part is the small island in the middle of nowhere with the cute little sheep that pwned you with Comet spells Smiley: mad
#66 Aug 31 2010 at 8:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
550 posts
What I liked about 8 was the little combos you pressed when you called a GF to help them do uber damage.
____________________________
XI - Draiden 75DRG/75COR (Sylph, Retired 08)


#67 Aug 31 2010 at 8:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I think what hurt me with VIII is that even though I'd probably like it now, the graphics are pretty painful to look at. I don't even mean bad, just-- eye strain. Compare to the olden day sprites, and the improved technology by IX (which is still beautiful), VII and VIII are pretty much the worst-looking, I think.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#68 Aug 31 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Kachi wrote:
I think what hurt me with VIII is that even though I'd probably like it now, the graphics are pretty painful to look at. I don't even mean bad, just-- eye strain. Compare to the olden day sprites, and the improved technology by IX (which is still beautiful), VII and VIII are pretty much the worst-looking, I think.


IX was a good looking game. And graphics-wise VII and VIII weren't as impressive.

Quote:
What I liked about 8 was the little combos you pressed when you called a GF to help them do uber damage.


Yeah that was pretty cool. Eden could do obscene amounts of damage like that.
#69 Aug 31 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Good
*
169 posts
Hugus wrote:
Didn't they say they would go live with the same servers as in Beta plus another 10?


There had better be an Ultros server...

DesmondTierney wrote:
On pretty much any game forum that isn't exclusively FF fans, the overwhelming majority seem to believe that VIII and IX are the worst - but these are the same people who think VII, XII, and XIII are the "BEST EVER".


I'd probably agree that VIII and IX are the worst (though I did like the mechanics of VIII), but XIII is right down there with them. I've heard X-2 was a good game as long as you could ignore basically everything about it (which I couldn't). XII should have been awesome, but it felt like Vagrant Story 2 was retitled FFXII at the last minute, had a ton of setting baggage shoehorned in to make it "fit the FF tradition" (the worst being a spiky-haired angsty teenager as the "main character"), and had about 200 hours of extraneous "gameplay" tacked on. I wanted to see the whole story, but couldn't stand the hours of pointless BS between plot points. And Vaan needed to go the **** away.

I'd be hard-pressed to choose between I, IV, and X as my favorites. FFI was mind-blowingly awesome at the time ("A game that lasts more than 15 minutes!?!"), and IV and X had (for FF games) cohesive stories and solid characters.

If we want to extend the discussion to other Square games, Vagrant Story will get my vote hands down. I'll feel guilty about not picking Chrono Trigger (which is probably their best game on all fronts), but it won't change my mind.
#70 Aug 31 2010 at 8:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
I'm going to be putting a poll on my LS site in a few days. I mentioned Shadowlord, but a couple other people brought up Garland & Kefka. Once we get that down, we're also going to vote on a linkshell crest. Looks like the colors are going to be blue & white.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#71 Sep 01 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
723 posts
DesmondTierney wrote:
I have to say I'm surprised that all of the X-2 fans didn't get downrated into oblivion!

Now, we did get downrated mostly to decent >.> but not nearly as bad as expected!

I am not alone!


Believe in Yuna! This thread is just full of surprises, lol. I can still quote so much of that game, so mad I didn't get to play international version.

____________________________


Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books.
#72 Sep 02 2010 at 3:19 AM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
Its seems that the sever names have now changed to the following:

Figaro
Istory
Trabia
Besaid
Wutai
Lindblum
Mysidia
Gysahl
Kashuan
Cornelia

So where is everyone going to play now?
#73 Sep 02 2010 at 3:33 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I still may have to represent ffvi with figaro, could be any of 'em at this point for me though
____________________________

1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)