Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Totally confused....Open BetaFollow

#1 Sep 01 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Good
***
1,439 posts
I have been trying to figure this out and wonder if I have done something wrong with my account or that I should just be patient. When I try to use my old username and password to enter the FFXIV Beta Test Site I get the following message....

"You could not log in because the service account in question is not registered.
If you would like to log in to the service, please log in to the Square Enix Account Management System and register the service account."

I have registered my account from before and when I login to the SE management system I can see my account details. However I cannot get any registration key or code that they are talking about.

Yesterday I did get the message to change my regional settings, which I changed, but still not able to enter Beta Test Site or the forums.

When I try the link I now get this message...

Quote:
"We would like to take this opportunity to provide an update regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which was announced to be postponed on Aug. 31, 2010.

Along with the completion on investigation and correction of the critical issue, we have decided to begin FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test on Sep. 2, 2010 at 02:00 (GMT).

Starting on Sep. 2, 2010 at 02:00 (GMT), acquisition of registration code required for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will become available on "FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Application Site." For more details, please refer to "FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Application Site."

http://entry.ffxiv.com

We are looking forward to your participation in FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test!


The FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site can only be accessed by those who have been granted Beta Test accounts.

Beta testers can log in from the link below using their Square Enix Account."


Can someone in the same situation just tell me if I have messed something up, being too impatient or I need to do something else?

BTW -I have contacted SE support about this.

Edited, Sep 1st 2010 6:33pm by EdyNOTB
____________________________
Esuna Forums

[ffxivsig]1229110[/ffxivsig]
#2 Sep 01 2010 at 6:48 AM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
It just SEEMS (we are all guessing) that even old beta members must re-sign up...
#3 Sep 01 2010 at 6:56 AM Rating: Good
**
362 posts
"Hey, why are you wearing all of your clothes inside-out...?"
"Because we're Square Enix."
"...I don't understand..."
"We know."

Ah Square Enix, being different just because they can. Even if I never had access, I'd still want to ask, did you really need to remove beta access from those who already had it...?
____________________________
"Unfortunately many game companies are learning that if they can just keep you busy, you might not realize how bored you are." - Kachi
"Pride in your character will amount to nothing more than the level of intimacy I have when I order a burger from McDonald's" - Warfox07
"I find comfort food always helps when I feel like killing myself." - Papashan (FFXIV)
#4 Sep 01 2010 at 6:56 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
EVERYONE including those in closed Beta, must sign up from this link http://entry.ffxiv.com/ when it opens at 19:00 PDT.

What we're unsure of, is 1. if those that were in closed Beta get the keys straight away 2. if everyone gets keys right away or 3. there are a limited number of spaces..at first anyway
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#5 Sep 01 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Default
34 posts
Sounds like first come first serve......
#6 Sep 01 2010 at 7:06 AM Rating: Decent
18 posts
ah ok that kind of explains it.

i was trying to register but it seems to want to set up a new account when i already have one.

i'll just wait till 19.00 and try it again. all very confusing.

So, we're not actually guaranteed a key for OB?
#7 Sep 01 2010 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
rubyhorse wrote:
ah ok that kind of explains it.

i was trying to register but it seems to want to set up a new account when i already have one.

i'll just wait till 19.00 and try it again. all very confusing.

So, we're not actually guaranteed a key for OB?


no one is completely sure...another case of SE making things as clear as mud..
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#8 Sep 01 2010 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Ah Square Enix, being different just because they can. Even if I never had access, I'd still want to ask, did you really need to remove beta access from those who already had it...?


I'm pretty sure the entire point of the "sign up" for open beta is so people can transfer their names over to the retail game if they wished to do so, maybe this is the only way they can accomplish that, who knows...and i'm also fairly sure that it will probably take most of us all of 2 minutes to sign up for open beta and that soon as we fill out the application we get the registration code which we then use to access beta. Its not even a big deal to be honest.
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Sep 01 2010 at 7:39 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
if we already have a square enix account do we have to resign up for the beta?

as wont allow dublicate email addresses.

i dont get this at all now.
#10 Sep 01 2010 at 7:41 AM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
I would have preferred a more "globally" way of giving out OB Keys...cause JP and US can just Log In during Prime-Time/Mid-Day...while EU has to Register at 2-4 AM in the night to "ensure" they get a Key...sucks that way...why not hand out a set amount of Keys per "Area" and then start Give Away during Prime Times of each region...well I will login at 4 AM and make sure I get my OB Key...but for those that can't do it it sucks a lot :/

Well but in the end...it's SE so...no global thinking :D
#11 Sep 01 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
if we already have a square enix account do we have to resign up for the beta?

as wont allow dublicate email addresses.

i dont get this at all now.


Oh yes this is very difficult to comprehend - see the thing is SE didn't know half of us on this side of the world *didn't* get our bachelor's degree in web surfing...had they known, they would've simplified this process for sure.

But on a serious note: you don't have to make a new SE account, just make sure you select the *correct* place of residence (meaning the country you live in) and everything will work out just fine.

Edited, Sep 1st 2010 9:53am by SolidMack

Edited, Sep 1st 2010 10:19am by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#12 Sep 01 2010 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
***
2,204 posts
Even when the entry site was up and running before yesterday's (or earlier today's) "critical error" announcement everytime I went there it was just a page to read (and download the beta), and at no point was there a place you could actually log-in to your SE account without going to the members tab on the top right and doing it there.... which threw you onto the SE (non-FFXIV-entry) main site...

If you tried going back to the FFXIV entry site after you logged in... it acted like you weren't logged in again...

So as of right now, and even though I got the SE email instructing me how to go about getting a register key... I have no clue where the keys are going to be distributed on the site, because no where on the entry site did it say "Go HERE for your key" even before the 'critical error' debacle. (But I did find the place to enter the FFXIV register code under Add New Serive tab)

Side note: the typing lag (or just THE LAG, in general) on ZAM right now is horrible. What is causing it?
#13 Sep 01 2010 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,131 posts
Shezard wrote:
I would have preferred a more "globally" way of giving out OB Keys...cause JP and US can just Log In during Prime-Time/Mid-Day...while EU has to Register at 2-4 AM in the night to "ensure" they get a Key...sucks that way...why not hand out a set amount of Keys per "Area" and then start Give Away during Prime Times of each region...well I will login at 4 AM and make sure I get my OB Key...but for those that can't do it it sucks a lot :/

Well but in the end...it's SE so...no global thinking :D

Well it actually is global thinking: we all have exactly the same start time (which is based in JP but there's no discrimination based on location on having to "wait"). It may not be a good time locally, but nobody gets a particular head start. ;) (I know what you meant, though.)

However, keep in mind that they say they'll be throttling registration and so at times you may not be able to be assigned one and have to try later. I'd think that it'd be like any release where people will be camping at the start, hammer things (lots of churn and "try again later") and then later on it'll settle down. It may be that by the time it's into a good time for EU folks the frothing-at-the-mouth JP/US people will have stopped hammering the server so much. ^^ (Or more hopefully there's a separate queue for each region so if you do happen to stay up all night for the instant it opens you'll be free and clear even if the US people are hammering the server.)
____________________________
FFXI: Triane [Caitsith], Retired
DRK75, THF75, RDM71

FFXIV: Triane Rhiga [Besaid]
Pugilist, Marauder, Fisher
#14 Sep 01 2010 at 8:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Even when the entry site was up and running before yesterday's (or earlier today's) "critical error" announcement everytime I went there it was just a page to read (and download the beta), and at no point was there a place you could actually log-in to your SE account without going to the members tab on the top right and doing it there.... which threw you onto the SE (non-FFXIV-entry) main site...

If you tried going back to the FFXIV entry site after you logged in... it acted like you weren't logged in again...

So as of right now, and even though I got the SE email instructing me how to go about getting a register key... I have no clue where the keys are going to be distributed on the site, because no where on the entry site did it say "Go HERE for your key" even before the 'critical error' debacle. (But I did find the place to enter the FFXIV register code under Add New Serive tab)

Side note: the typing lag (or just THE LAG, in general) on ZAM right now is horrible. What is causing it?


That's because they never opened up the application for the keys yet. The way you sign up for it is simple: go to FFXIV main website - at the bottom it says sign up for beta - click it - at this point you're at the application page and when they decide you can sign up, this page will tell you exactly what to do.

AFTER signing up, you will most likely get a key. At this point you go to the main SE website (http://member.square-enix.com/na/) - you log in - you click on your name at the top of the page, this takes you to your account settings - here you click on "Account Center" tab (this is the link furthest to the right in your account page) - on this page, there is a column of 5 links on the left of the page, click the bottom most one "SQUARE ENIX account management system" - it'll prompt you to log in again, do so, and you are now where you need to be to register your code.

On this page click on "Select Service" under Services and Options tab - click on FFXIV - click on "Add a service account"...and so on so forth, you should know what to do at this point.

EDIT: of course you can skip most of the steps mentioned above by opening your beta client and logging in - at which point it'll give you a direct link to SE account management system in which you can register your beta key in.

Edited, Sep 1st 2010 10:13am by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Sep 01 2010 at 8:21 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
i hope your right, just for now 'signing up' for beta means creating a new account. OK, i know its not live yet so it may not be working correctly.

obviously if we already have an account it says 'email already in use'.

Would have been a lot simpler to have a 'register for beta' clicky and then 2 options 'already have account' and 'new account'.
#16 Sep 01 2010 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:

Would have been a lot simpler to have a 'register for beta' clicky and then 2 options 'already have account' and 'new account'.


But it will be that "simple"...its not even live yet i don't see what you're seeing to be honest, just hold your horses it'll be up later today :).
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Sep 01 2010 at 8:32 AM Rating: Decent
18 posts
The only bit i'm confused about is the issuing of keys. Seeing as i have already registered etc then i assume it will be a new registration for the OB not the current 'link' that is on the registration site at the moment?

If this is so, then no problem.

Anyway, i'll wait till tomorrow and see.
#18 Sep 01 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:

Would have been a lot simpler to have a 'register for beta' clicky and then 2 options 'already have account' and 'new account'.


But it will be that "simple"...its not even live yet i don't see what you're seeing to be honest, just hold your horses it'll be up later today :).


You told Rubyhorse to hold their horses.. I like what you did there.
#19 Sep 01 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
sorry i get it now.

one last question, it states Open Beta so why a registration key? seems a strange way of doing things, from what i have read is it going to be a first come first served basis for getting on to the servers.
#20 Sep 01 2010 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,131 posts
rubyhorse wrote:
sorry i get it now.

one last question, it states Open Beta so why a registration key? seems a strange way of doing things, from what i have read is it going to be a first come first served basis for getting on to the servers.

How else would they handle game access other than a reg code? :) You can have an SE account whether you have purchased a particular product or not, so they need something product-specific to control access and link your SE account to the product. While yes it's beta, that's how the client will work, so it would only make sense to have it be the same during a beta period, even if it's 100% public and absolutely everyone has access (which we don't know for sure yet, we just know that registration will be open but if a million people try and apply chances are they'll "fill up").
____________________________
FFXI: Triane [Caitsith], Retired
DRK75, THF75, RDM71

FFXIV: Triane Rhiga [Besaid]
Pugilist, Marauder, Fisher
#21 Sep 01 2010 at 8:45 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
not one of the open beta's i have tested have required a key thats why :)

Surely just create a 'game' account like all other companies do.

Sorry for my ignorance, i have been following this game rather lazily so i'm not clued up on it all but it does seems a rather confusing and strange way of doing things to me.

anyway, i wont have to stay up till 2.00am to register then. Everyone will get a key just we'll have to queue on the servers if they are busy yes.
#22 Sep 01 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
You can have an SE account whether you have purchased a particular product or not, so they need something product-specific to control access and link your SE account to the product.


This. And so they can, by linking account to game, transfer names over to the retail game...its just a way to control what they want, everyone gets in anyway.
____________________________
MUTED
#23 Sep 01 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
***
2,204 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:
Even when the entry site was up and running before yesterday's (or earlier today's) "critical error" announcement everytime I went there it was just a page to read (and download the beta), and at no point was there a place you could actually log-in to your SE account without going to the members tab on the top right and doing it there.... which threw you onto the SE (non-FFXIV-entry) main site...

If you tried going back to the FFXIV entry site after you logged in... it acted like you weren't logged in again...

So as of right now, and even though I got the SE email instructing me how to go about getting a register key... I have no clue where the keys are going to be distributed on the site, because no where on the entry site did it say "Go HERE for your key" even before the 'critical error' debacle. (But I did find the place to enter the FFXIV register code under Add New Serive tab)

Side note: the typing lag (or just THE LAG, in general) on ZAM right now is horrible. What is causing it?


That's because they never opened up the application for the keys yet. The way you sign up for it is simple: go to FFXIV main website - at the bottom it says sign up for beta - click it - at this point you're at the application page and when they decide you can sign up, this page will tell you exactly what to do.

AFTER signing up, you will most likely get a key. At this point you go to the main SE website (http://member.square-enix.com/na/) - you log in - you click on your name at the top of the page, this takes you to your account settings - here you click on "Account Center" tab (this is the link furthest to the right in your account page) - on this page, there is a column of 5 links on the left of the page, click the bottom most one "SQUARE ENIX account management system" - it'll prompt you to log in again, do so, and you are now where you need to be to register your code.

On this page click on "Select Service" under Services and Options tab - click on FFXIV - click on "Add a service account"...and so on so forth, you should know what to do at this point.

EDIT: of course you can skip most of the steps mentioned above by opening your beta client and logging in - at which point it'll give you a direct link to SE account management system in which you can register your beta key in.


The following is just talking about what you said about actually 'getting' a key... the rest of what you typed is 100% correct from what I see...

So you are saying that email everyone got about going to http://entry.ffxiv.com/ and logging in was sort of wrong (well... considering the actual site at the time anyway)? The email doesn't direct you anywhere else other than the site I just mentioned and the only clickable anything on that page at the time (other than the FAQ links and the tabs at the upper right) was a link to download the client, and I never saw anything about getting a key anywhere on that page....

I understand that the page that is linked to http://entry.ffxiv.com/ right now MIGHT not be the same exact page that shows up when they open up the sign-ups, and that is actually what I am hoping for... as in... at 19:00 PDT a new page will be on that link (or an updated page).

I am just trying to get everything in order so when it does start at 19:00 PST that I know where to go and get the key. I figure everyone won't have the problem getting the registration keys (if there are enough), but they might have problems actually finding where to enter the key to add it to the SE account.... which I stumbled onto while looking for the place for the keys last night.

Wait and see, at this point.
#24 Sep 01 2010 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
So you are saying that email everyone got about going to http://entry.ffxiv.com/ and logging in was sort of wrong (well... considering the actual site at the time anyway)? The email doesn't direct you anywhere else other than the site I just mentioned and the only clickable anything on that page at the time (other than the FAQ links and the tabs at the upper right) was a link to download the client, and I never saw anything about getting a key anywhere on that page....


Ok, its safe to assume a button will be added to the page later on when they decide to open up application. But its that page that you need to go to to get your beta key. Just check later today.
____________________________
MUTED
#25 Sep 01 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
Consider this almost like, a "controlled" open beta.

Anyone can join. Until SE says enough is enough, however.
#26 Sep 01 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Consider this almost like, a "controlled" open beta.

Anyone can join. Until SE says enough is enough, however.


Not really...if anything they want to maximize number of people and they want servers to crash during beta so they have them nice and shiny for release, i'm sure they aren't going to restrict anyone from joining.
____________________________
MUTED
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)