Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

BoP/BoE?Follow

#1 Sep 01 2010 at 5:02 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
133 posts
I feel like this has likely been discussed but I didn't see it and I can't search the forums for some reason...

I remember in FFXI the game seemed so highly dependent on gil, which was notably hard to obtain, mainly because you could equip and resell items. Thus all of the best gear in the game could be bought (generally at a ridiculously high price).

As far as I know, "bind on equip" and "bind on pickup" had not been invented yet, with WoW being the first time I encountered with these features. They seemed to make the game less reliant on money, at least in end-game, with consumables and repairs being the main money-sinks.

Has FFXIV implemented these BoE/BoP features or something similar? Or am I going to have to spend over half my play time farming gil again to be decked out end-game like in FFXI?
____________________________
Aion: Laine, 42 Elyos Ranger - Zikel (Retired)
WoW: Laine, 80 Draenei Hunter - Arthas (Retired)
FFXI: Kito, 75 Mithra SAM/RNG - Bismarck (Retired)
Jamie, giving female MMO players a good name since 2002!
#2 Sep 01 2010 at 5:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Er... FFXI had that too.

Ex items.
____________________________


#3 Sep 01 2010 at 5:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
FFXI had "bind on pickup" or, as it was called, exclusive (I think that's what it was), when it was released but most gear wasn't bound to the player at all. I assume FFXIV will be along the same lines and as far as I saw in the game that is the case.
#4 Sep 01 2010 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
Some things are not tradeable but I'm assuming most will be --- BoP/BoE sucks IMO.

That said you can't sell or trade an item if it has any wear on it - it must be repaired (I believe to 100%) before you can sell it or even give it to someone else.

At least it was that way in beta.

Edited, Sep 1st 2010 4:10pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#5 Sep 01 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
In FFXI Rare=can only have one and Ex=cant trade/sell
I never took notice if gear is tradable because gear doesnt seem to be an oh-so-important factor at the level I was at (15). In FFXI stats meant everything, it affects ur tp gain rate, ur ws accuracy, thus ur total DPS. In FFXIV, stats might not be crucial to a character's optimal success because then we would have an issue SE does not want. In FFXI u tend to not group with people who have awful lowbie level gear since it slows down exp rate. I liked it since it made gear an accomplishment to display, unlike so many MMOs nowadays that toss u gear left and right after doing quests.
#6 Sep 01 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
FFXI had "bind on pickup" or, as it was called, exclusive (I think that's what it was), when it was released but most gear wasn't bound to the player at all. I assume FFXIV will be along the same lines and as far as I saw in the game that is the case.


What is the difference exactly? FFXI had "exclusive/rare" which meant its not tradeable/sellable which serves the exact same purpose as binding - i personally didn't mind them going that route with NM drops and whatnot, it prevented (or made useless) botting/RMTing NMs - I hope they do the same with FFXIV if there'll be NMs once again.
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Sep 01 2010 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
What is the difference exactly?


With WoW *ALL* Gear of a certain quality becomes bound to the character that equips it. Someone thought it was stupid, but it's hard to argue stupid on an 1800 gold piece of equipment you can equip once vs an 8.6 million gil piece of equipment you have almost no hope of ever without resorting to a year of farming or. . . more dishonest means . . and being expected to have it by every party you're invited to [lest you get replaced]

Especially when, by the time you're ready to sell it, it's only worth about 15k gil.

____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#8 Sep 01 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
seneleron wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference exactly?


With WoW *ALL* Gear of a certain quality becomes bound to the character that equips it. Someone thought it was stupid, but it's hard to argue stupid on an 1800 gold piece of equipment you can equip once vs an 8.6 million gil piece of equipment you have almost no hope of ever without resorting to a year of farming or. . . more dishonest means . . and being expected to have it by every party you're invited to [lest you get replaced]

Especially when, by the time you're ready to sell it, it's only worth about 15k gil.



Huh well I did just fine with my equipment... and non bind items means you can sell that 8.6 mill gil item to buy a new peice if you decide you want to main a different job. And unlike WoW most high end gear in FFXI was useful pretty much forever... I would much rather work really hard to get a bit of gear that I will then be able to use for years than to buy/gain a BoE POS that will be useless at the next patch



Edited, Sep 1st 2010 4:53pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#9 Sep 01 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
and being expected to have it by every party you're invited to [lest you get replaced]


yea i'm sure most people weren't this unreasonable, I did just fine in FFXI and i was the poorest Blackmage on the server - i managed to make enough gil to gear myself reasonably well and enough to buy all the necessary spells I needed.
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Sep 01 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
BoE is a reasonable measure for crafters, it basically convert most standard equipment in consumables, think about FFXI, after a time no body did something like Scorpion Harness or Haubergeon because the market was so saturated of those that no body had the need of one every again.

Besides it motivates a more active economy.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)