Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

so.. people getting the CE..Follow

#1 Sep 02 2010 at 12:27 AM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Anyone here thinking about saying the heck with it and getting the regular edition instead? I have a feeling it's going to be a very rocky launch and I may not want to be on the front lines of this mess on the 22nd. Or is the other stuff still good enough to warrant $25 in your mind?

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 2:27am by runtheplacered
#2 Sep 02 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
If that were the case, i still want the other goodies. Lots of cool stuff & I don't have a security token...
____________________________

#3 Sep 02 2010 at 12:29 AM Rating: Excellent
TwistedOwl wrote:
If that were the case, i still want the other goodies. Lots of cool stuff & I don't have a security token...


I've got a token, but it's battery life wont last forever so I'd like a new one. Plus all the other goodies too. I'm a sucker for "Making Of" dvds.
#4 Sep 02 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Good
*
136 posts
In order of importance for me...
Security token.
Some of the other little extras.
The head start.
____________________________
FFXIV, Trabia: Neasa Vera.
FFXI, Leviathan: Aneirin (Dead), Key (Dead).
#5 Sep 02 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Decent
Yea, security token is a big thing since I don't have one yet. I wouldn't mind the rest of the stuff either.

Only thing I'm not too hot on is CE pre-orders get a useless in-game hat compared to the regular pre-orders.
____________________________
[img]http://firestream.net/arr/gen/Izanami_Rin_130829073247.jpg[/img]
"Your fate is my destiny. And your destiny shall be my fate."
#6 Sep 02 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Though I have said "***** this I should cancel" to myself a few times tonight = P
____________________________

#7 Sep 02 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Though I have said "***** this I should cancel" to myself a few times tonight = P


f t w
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#8 Sep 02 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
409 posts
Frankly I'm seriously considering canceling my pre-order altogether and just continuing to play XI. First the Universal gag order, then the surplus system and now servers that can't even handle more than 1,000 people at a time. It just doesn't feel like it's worth it anymore...
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#9 Sep 02 2010 at 12:35 AM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
I've canceled my CE.

I don't really care about security tokens and such, I've been playing MMOs off and on for the last decade, I'm confident enough in my computer security measures that I won't lose an account.

Other than that, I had ordered the CE because I'm on break from FFXI and had the luxury of forgetting the little things that made me wary of the game, but I'm thanking SE for digging up the old FFXI memories for me.

I'll wait for the standard edition.
#10 Sep 02 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
Frankly I'm seriously considering canceling my pre-order altogether and just continuing to play XI. First the Universal gag order, then the surplus system and now servers that can't even handle more than 1,000 people at a time. It just doesn't feel like it's worth it anymore...


Is it really that bad? I have not even got into open beta, already Square Enix and the past five years of their idea of service (FFXI) have instilled a nagging doubt into my head.

The most important part of the package for me is the Security Token, although I have not had a security issue on my PC for over 5 years there is still a first time for everything. The early access is also important I really wanted to be in on beta but never made it.

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 2:39am by Theahra
#11 Sep 02 2010 at 12:49 AM Rating: Excellent
8 posts
seriously.. no game has been good straight out of launch, especially open betas.. Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game. I don't see what the whining is about. Just go do something else till it comes up. the 8 day head start is a bonus.. really you're paying for the journal, the authenticator (piece of plastic) and making of DvD.. These are all ACTUAL PHYSICAL ITEMS.
#12 Sep 02 2010 at 12:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
runtheplacered wrote:
Anyone here thinking about saying the heck with it and getting the regular edition instead? I have a feeling it's going to be a very rocky launch and I may not want to be on the front lines of this mess on the 22nd. Or is the other stuff still good enough to warrant $25 in your mind?


I just want the certificate so I can put it on my coffee table and talk about it when I have friends over....
#13 Sep 02 2010 at 12:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game.


WoW was blizzard's first MMO. This is SE's second.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#14 Sep 02 2010 at 12:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
definitely keeping CE pre-order, I don't mind if its delayed a little due to server congestion i want all the other goodies plus like many have already said, security token is a big one for me.
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Sep 02 2010 at 12:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
-.-/

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 2:59am by Rinsui
#16 Sep 02 2010 at 12:59 AM Rating: Excellent
*
183 posts
I just want the hat.


What?
#17 Sep 02 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts
juurian wrote:
seriously.. no game has been good straight out of launch, especially open betas.. Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game. I don't see what the whining is about. Just go do something else till it comes up. the 8 day head start is a bonus.. really you're paying for the journal, the authenticator (piece of plastic) and making of DvD.. These are all ACTUAL PHYSICAL ITEMS.


Very true. I was there at the launch of WoW for a few weeks. One thing that I do remember was that Blizzard attempted to keep the community informed of what was happening and what it was doing to remedy it. I still remember very well the R0 situation from Final Fantasy XI amongst others and the time that took to resolve with little word from Square Enix. Still not to continue on a negative. I hope they get it sorted out. I am looking forward to the release of XIV and will keep my CE pre order ordered. Even if I change my mind when its purchased as long as its sealed it can be returned (I am also a sucker for special boxes and items)
#18 Sep 02 2010 at 1:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts
Jonipaavo wrote:
I just want the certificate so I can put it on my coffee table and talk about it when I have friends over....


Hey that was what i was gonna do with mine!

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 3:36am by Jeddik

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 3:38am by Jeddik
#19 Sep 02 2010 at 1:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
im gonna roll mine up like a newspaper and smack an orphan in its dirty face with it.
____________________________

#20 Sep 02 2010 at 1:57 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
No I won't be canceling mine because of this. Us starting early will help alleviate the problem for people starting on the 30th.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#21 Sep 02 2010 at 2:20 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
what are you talking about, Even in betas for the expansion the servers were dropping people like crazy and people complaining " WHY CAN'T WE BETA WoTLK and CAT " this may be their 2nd online installment to the series, but NO MMORPG at start is smooth.
#22 Sep 02 2010 at 6:26 AM Rating: Good
JoniPaavo wrote:
runtheplacered wrote:
Anyone here thinking about saying the heck with it and getting the regular edition instead? I have a feeling it's going to be a very rocky launch and I may not want to be on the front lines of this mess on the 22nd. Or is the other stuff still good enough to warrant $25 in your mind?


I just want the certificate so I can put it on my coffee table and talk about it when I have friends over....

When that happens, post it on YouTube. I want to see it.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#23 Sep 02 2010 at 7:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
If it happens, I'll get it.
#24 Sep 02 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
**
327 posts
Still gonna get mine and try it out for the first 30 days at least ,but I'm also thinking about the fact that LOTRO is going free to play soon ;the character models look crappy compared to the scenery but Square-enix isn't involved!
____________________________



#25 Sep 02 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
784 posts
Keep in mind, no matter how unstable or buggy the game is at launch, or how irritating you find certain little things... things will only get better with time.

I'm still getting my CE. And I'm going to stick it out no matter what it is like in the beginning, because I think it will be worth it in the end.
____________________________
Amazing linkshell/guild hosting

#26 Sep 02 2010 at 7:39 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game.


WoW was blizzard's first MMO. This is SE's second.
Are you joking? MMO as the definition stands: Masive Multiplayer Online, it includes Warcraft 2, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3, all came before WoW...

But well you may be talking about MMORPG... ohh wait there was diablo II before it too.

I'm not a defender of WoW or anything but Blizzard has more than enough experience handling online games.

Hector

Edit: grammar

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 2:17am by kenage
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#27 Sep 02 2010 at 7:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
Think about it.

In the end, way more people will be getting the normal edition rather than the collectors. Both days will have an influx of thousands of new users.

I'd bet that the Sept 22 launch is the lesser evil, however.
#28 Sep 02 2010 at 8:15 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
109 posts
There is still a lot of time. I think it will be very worth it to get a head start, and the swag is pretty cool too!
____________________________
Into Memoria - FFXIV Free Company
#29 Sep 02 2010 at 8:29 PM Rating: Default
*
106 posts
I will be getting the CE although I won't be taking the day off on the 22nd anymore.

To all those people who keep saying "every game is rocky at start blah blah blah" keep in mind that SE has been maintaining an online game for 8 years now - this isn't exactly new territory to them. Furthermore, this is 2010; **** it's almost 2011. MMORPGs have been around for many years now and one would think that a huge company such as SE would not only have the foresight but the capital that is needed to at least not make fools out of themselves.

/rant off
#30 Sep 02 2010 at 8:39 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
kenage wrote:
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game.


WoW was blizzard's first MMO. This is SE's second.
Are you joking? MMO as the definition stands: Masive Multiplayer Online, it includes Warcraft 2, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3, all came before WoW...

But well you may be talking about MMORPG... ohh wait there was diablo II before it too.

I'm not a defender of WoW or anything but Blizzard has more than enough experience handling online games.

Hector

Edit: grammar

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 2:17am by kenage


Sorry but Starcraft (starcraft 2 came before wow? you sure about that?) and Warcraft 2/3 are not MMO's. I have no idea where you got your information from, but you are wrong. They are missing the "massive" part. Neither is Diablo 2. 8 people per room is hardly massive, sorry. Sure a massive amount of people bought and played Diablo 2, which is an online game.. but unfortunately they weren't all playing together. Also, the world does not persist.. every time you play the map is remade. These are just some of the reasons why you're wrong.

I have no idea why you decided to be a prick to that dude. You know exactly what he was saying yet you decided to act ignorant? What's that about? Even if you come back with some crappy argument about how Diablo 2 is an MMO because you're such a deep thinker or whatever (which won't happen)... they're still different enough games where GuardianFaith's point still stands.

If you really think Warcraft 2 and WoW are in anyway shape or form the same kind of game, then I feel sorry for you.

EDITED - for grammar!

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 10:45pm by runtheplacered
#31 Sep 02 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Good
I've said it before, SE is not going to invest extra money into servers for 1-2 days of a game launch, it makes no sense. They'd rather let addicted retards mash the F5 button, or log on button until they get in, cause regardless of what happens, people will still buy and play the game. If you're willing to accept the fact that hundreds of thousands of people will be bombarding their servers on day one of the CE release, and you're willing to spend hours on end trying to log on, then do it! Or like others have said, if you just want "cool" stuff, get it.

If you're worried about the servers and don't want to waste your time, wait until a couple weeks after the normal edition launch, even, wait a month. By that time you can read up on how things are going, if it's not good, wait it out another month. Always remember, the only person who cares that you were online the first day, is you, 5 years down the road, or anywhere else, you tell someone this, they won't care. The game's going to be around for years, it's not a race.
____________________________

#32 Sep 02 2010 at 8:44 PM Rating: Excellent
*
103 posts
I am getting the CE, not canceling the order. FFXIV has bugs, some worse than others, but tell me, what game hasn't at launch. No amount of closed beta or open beta can prepare a game fully for launch day.

Will there be crap to fix, oh sure.

will people be ****** ******** and moaning in 150,000 different forums, you bet yer bippy.

do I give a hoot about these people, nope, they aren't pay my sub for me.

Pretty much just getting it for the security token since SE seems to be out of them all the time.
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#33 Sep 02 2010 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
runtheplacered wrote:
kenage wrote:
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
Even WoW had people drop and kicked out during or even before game.


WoW was blizzard's first MMO. This is SE's second.
Are you joking? MMO as the definition stands: Masive Multiplayer Online, it includes Warcraft 2, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3, all came before WoW...

But well you may be talking about MMORPG... ohh wait there was diablo II before it too.

I'm not a defender of WoW or anything but Blizzard has more than enough experience handling online games.

Hector

Edit: grammar

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 2:17am by kenage


Sorry but Starcraft (starcraft 2 came before wow? you sure about that?) and Warcraft 2/3 are not MMO's. I have no idea where you got your information from, but you are wrong. They are missing the "massive" part. Neither is Diablo 2. 8 people per room is hardly massive, sorry. Sure a massive amount of people bought and played Diablo 2, which is an online game.. but unfortunately they weren't all playing together. Also, the world does not persist.. every time you play the map is remade. These are just some of the reasons why you're wrong.

I have no idea why you decided to be a prick to that dude. You know exactly what he was saying yet you decided to act ignorant? What's that about? Even if you come back with some crappy argument about how Diablo 2 is an MMO because you're such a deep thinker or whatever (which won't happen)... they're still different enough games where GuardianFaith's point still stands.

If you really think Warcraft 2 and WoW are in anyway shape or form the same kind of game, then I feel sorry for you.

EDITED - for grammar!

Edited, Sep 2nd 2010 10:45pm by runtheplacered


Calling him a prick isn't exactly diplomatic either.
____________________________


#34 Sep 02 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
Yes it was but by no means was it Blizz's first online game.
#35 Sep 02 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Default
Sage
***
1,500 posts
runtheplacered wrote:
Sorry but Starcraft (starcraft 2 came before wow? you sure about that?) and Warcraft 2/3 are not MMO's. I have no idea where you got your information from, but you are wrong. They are missing the "massive" part. Neither is Diablo 2. 8 people per room is hardly massive, sorry. Sure a massive amount of people bought and played Diablo 2, which is an online game.. but unfortunately they weren't all playing together. Also, the world does not persist.. every time you play the map is remade. These are just some of the reasons why you're wrong.

I have no idea why you decided to be a prick to that dude. You know exactly what he was saying yet you decided to act ignorant? What's that about? Even if you come back with some crappy argument about how Diablo 2 is an MMO because you're such a deep thinker or whatever (which won't happen)... they're still different enough games where GuardianFaith's point still stands.

If you really think Warcraft 2 and WoW are in anyway shape or form the same kind of game, then I feel sorry for you.
I was considering if I should answer or not, usually I avoid engaging into an argument, specially cuz I believe it's worthless usually people don't change their minds, although I like to point out when something is wrong or inaccurate cuz it's my way to contribute with the forums by keeping the place as correct and accurate as possible, however I, as everyone else, have my own errors and inaccuracies.

First of all, my bad I meant starcraf, I don't know why that "2" got slipped in between, you are right, starcraft 2 came after WoW.

Unfortunately I disagree with your definition of MMO, it is as far as I could find:
Quote:
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously
I don't think there is any way to rule out Warcraft 2/3, starcraft and Diablo II from that definition, regardless if all those players can interact with each other at any given time or not, which is not part of a MMO by definition.

On the other hand, the similarities of WoW and warcraft 2 on gameplay or even on the game genre are irrelevant for my argument, my point still stands: Blizzard is more experienced in handling online games, which was opposite of what GuardianFaith was stating with
GuardianFaith wrote:
WoW was blizzard's first MMO. This is SE's second.
That's all I'm saying, but I'm open to discussion if you still have some arguments to prove it otherwise.

Ken

Edit: typo

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 3:27am by kenage
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#36 Sep 03 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Pagansaint wrote:
I am getting the CE, not canceling the order. FFXIV has bugs, some worse than others, but tell me, what game hasn't at launch. No amount of closed beta or open beta can prepare a game fully for launch day.
Will there be crap to fix, oh sure.
will people be ****** ******** and moaning in 150,000 different forums, you bet yer bippy.
do I give a hoot about these people, nope, they aren't pay my sub for me.
Pretty much just getting it for the security token since SE seems to be out of them all the time.


This is it pretty much for me, too. Want the token, want to log on the first day just to be able to tell people I did. Other than that, I'm prepared for patches, crashes and updates the first few days/weeks.

(I think the reason SE is always out of tokens is because they saved them all to put into the CE's.)
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#37 Sep 03 2010 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
29 posts
I'm still getting the CE. Honestly I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. I'm actually enjoying it, especially once I hooked up my ps3 controller.
#38 Sep 03 2010 at 12:56 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Okay i fail to understand your post. SE has been maintain a 8 year online game. However WoW has been maintaining a huge player base before expansions ever came out, you'd think they'd learn after the 2nd expansion , however when WoTLK came out same **** happened.. and same **** will happen for CAT.

What i'm saying is, no matter how "prepared" you are for a launch of game , it'll always be ROCKY no matter how many years of game server maintaining you have. Its all based on player base. If you have a huge player base, then you'll have a rocky start, if you have a small one.. then.. Well we all know how that goes.
#39 Sep 03 2010 at 1:16 AM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
kenage wrote:

Unfortunately I disagree with your definition of MMO, it is as far as I could find:
Quote:
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously
I don't think there is any way to rule out Warcraft 2/3, starcraft and Diablo II from that definition, regardless if all those players can interact with each other at any given time or not, which is not part of a MMO by definition.


Near as I can tell, you got that definition from Wikipedia.

Keep reading.

Wikipedia Massively mutiplayer online game article wrote:

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.


further on in the same article wrote:

MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time.


This pretty much excludes Blizzard's RTSes and Diablo series - none of them have persistent gameworlds. The closest any of those games gets to being an MMO is Diablo 2's closed servers - but even those only persist character data, not maps.

"Persistence" is one of the key elements of an MMO - that's why PlanetSide is an MMO, and Modern Warfare 2 isn't.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)