Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This Forum is Read Only

Negative comments floating all over the web...Follow

#1 Sep 03 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
I am currently trying to log into the beta site to download the open beta for myself; however, looking on certain websites such as gamefaqs and mmorpg.com, it seems the comments for FFXIV went from very excited and positive to downright negative. I was wondering how exactly all of you are feeling about the game currently; I am still quite eager to try it out myself.
#2 Sep 03 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
I can't decide if I'm disappointed or excited. Somethings feel like a stupid idea but it seems exciting if it wasn't in beta.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 5:37pm by shykin
#3 Sep 03 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
320 posts
I'm still positive about the game. A lot of the negative comments are coming from very nitpicky people or just the fact that it's a beta, like the beta lag and crashes.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the world seems like it's going to be really small come release. It almost seems as though there's only going to be 6 zones (not counting dungeons) in the release version while didn't XI start with... 18 or something?
____________________________


#4 Sep 03 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts

Never believe anything you read before trying out something for yourself if it is free to do so. Never. The game is great right now, it is worth exploring and trying out. There are some bugs but this is Beta. Everyone should be prepared to face them in any Beta that they try out. Just have fun and try everything.

It took me 3 hours almost just talking to every NPC in Upper Limsa Lominsa. Granted there are NPCs like the crafting guild ones that have extensive dialog to help you craft etc that I went through as well as Guildleve NPCs etc. Just explore and have fun :) This game will rock on release minus the various minor things.
#5 Sep 03 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,061 posts
The game is fine, it has a much better framework than FFXI, imo, and once a few expansions roll around it'll be just as good, if not better.

The only qualms I have with the game appear to be the random crashes and whatnot (Maybe beta related) and the fact that the game seems to be poorly optimized. I'm running a pretty good system and my system still skips even on the lowest settings, haha. Think I heard somewhere that the game is processor intensive and only uses one core, is that true?

Anyways, overall I like it.As long as SE keeps adding content I think I'll play, at least for a while anyways.
#6 Sep 03 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
I think the metaphor of 'serving up a juicy steak on a garbage can lid' applies in this case.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#7 Sep 03 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
I like it. It's gorgeous and fun.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#8 Sep 03 2010 at 4:59 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
196 posts
Ok this blame on beta and nitpicking people is getting really really old.. Are you that naive? People are not complaining about the dam bugs.. they are complaining because the game is simply out right boring and unintuitive.. Let's go ahead and list it .. So it will actually go through your skull..

I play in Limsa ... Honestly every other starter town sucks.. and are way too small..
1. Dodo birds why in the **** is it spawning near noob areas .. where not a single solo person can kill it? WHY? WHY?
2. Why are all the good and easily kill-able mobs at low level.. extremely far away from the healing zone (i.e. aether crystal)?
3. Is it really that **** hard to implement a search system for npc.. or better yet Icons.. yes those icons that litter your very desktop.. why not implement them in to the game and save us the trouble of walking around forever looking for a single npc... I am going to go ahead and anticipate your response.. No I don't really care for discovery and exploration.. I just want stuff done.. and done right.. I am not a kind of person that enjoys and trial and miss session with looking for npc's..
4. Leveling... Let's just go ahead and call that a grind fest for now.. Seriously.. Guildleve doesn't award exp.. the crap? Also why does your main physical level go up faster than your class level.. I find that system utterly stupid.. not only is it redundantly hard to level physical level but it is twice as hard to level my class level.. After awhile I wonder why I even bother to level out 2 class..
5. There are simply NO quests that rewards exp.. Guildleves are a joke.. Main quests although exciting offers nothing to improve your character...

So I am just going to flat out and say it.. FINAL GRIND FEST XIV. Holy **** yes I know Grind exist in every game.. but other games make it at least bearable or make it very unnoticeable.. Guildwars made grinding to 20 a 1 hour deal.. WoW made it quests for everyone to level.. Aion tries to make quests but fails to give out interesting ones.. Silkroad online.. **** that game..

Final Fantasy XIV on the other hand... WTF.. Guildleve offer absolute crap rewards.. Main quests offers money.. so am I suppose to kill crap all day or something? How exiciting.. NO!!


Here is a screen shot of my collectors edition receipt.. I deeply care about this game.. and wish I can enjoy it.. but it's flaw is simply unbearable... I play aion. I played Final fantasy XI .. I played WoW.. I have played guild wars.. I have played diablo 1, and 2.. but this is the first game ever that completely crushed my faith in its success...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#9 Sep 03 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about is that the world seems like it's going to be really small come release. It almost seems as though there's only going to be 6 zones (not counting dungeons) in the release version while didn't XI start with... 18 or something?


Even if it was only 6 zones, which I doubt, the zones in this game are probably about 4 times bigger than the ones in FFXI. Have you tried walking all the way across La Noscea, for example? It's *$&@ing huge!

Everyone ignore negative nick, this game is awesome. It grew on me a little, I felt let down when I first tried it in Closed Beta, but the more I play the more I like it, and now that it's in Open Beta it's better than it was before so I'm confident they'll keep improving it. =D
#10 Sep 03 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
*
103 posts
The day all these Negative Nancies start paying for my monthly subs, I "might" give a crap. But until then, I am enjoying the game so far, while it still has it's bugs and qwerks to work out before and after retail relase, I am still satisfied and am glad I don't have the desire, after 6 years, to log back into WoW, ever!

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 7:08pm by Pagansaint
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#11 Sep 03 2010 at 5:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
320 posts
I walked from Ul'dah to Gridania, it did take a fair amount of time (mostly due to The Black Shroud being a maze) but it was only two areas. That's what worries me. To get from Bastok to San d'Oria you had to go through around 6 zones, all pretty different in looks from the last one.

I love Thanalan and The Black Shroud don't get me wrong but two areas between cities is kind of eh to me. Although if that is merely just to make it easy to get from city to city and there's going to be a LOT more areas sure no problem. But at this rate I don't see that happening until an expansion or two.
____________________________


#12 Sep 03 2010 at 5:12 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
XI was a grindfest...and I happened to love it. If want all you exp to come from quests(kill 10 of these/collect 10 of these)...then stick with WOW or a WOW clone. Go level toons to 80 in 15 days...wwooohooo real fun. Been there...done that.

This is FF...and I'm happy with the fact you don't get exp from quests...thats the way it should be. You want exp...grind it out. Earn it.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#13 Sep 03 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
320 posts
I vastly prefer XI over WoW; however, I heard from SE that this game is not grind-oriented.

I think the beta will differ quite a bit from the release. I think a lot was removed/restricted. Most of this is a stress test.
____________________________


#14 Sep 03 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
I like everybody's responses but for Simool, how does not getting exp from quests make sense? A quest is exploration and doing tasks, and from exploration and tasks a person should naturally gain experience.
#15 Sep 03 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
as for frame rates skipping and such, i spent hours trying to come up with a decent balance between lag and graphics, i found that putting the buffer size to 3/4 then it improves FPS massively but you still get the time delay between actions and ofcourse the 25% degredation of graphics.

____________________________

#16 Sep 03 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Starting Sept 22nd, I'm going to play the game. Then after a few months, I'll decide whether or not I'll continue. I don't really give a good **** what some website posters think or say.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#17 Sep 03 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
nick2412 wrote:
Ok this blame on beta and nitpicking people is getting really really old.. Are you that naive? People are not complaining about the dam bugs.. they are complaining because the game is simply out right boring and unintuitive.. Let's go ahead and list it .. So it will actually go through your skull..

I play in Limsa ... Honestly every other starter town sucks.. and are way too small..
1. Dodo birds why in the **** is it spawning near noob areas .. where not a single solo person can kill it? WHY? WHY?
2. Why are all the good and easily kill-able mobs at low level.. extremely far away from the healing zone (i.e. aether crystal)?
3. Is it really that **** hard to implement a search system for npc.. or better yet Icons.. yes those icons that litter your very desktop.. why not implement them in to the game and save us the trouble of walking around forever looking for a single npc... I am going to go ahead and anticipate your response.. No I don't really care for discovery and exploration.. I just want stuff done.. and done right.. I am not a kind of person that enjoys and trial and miss session with looking for npc's..
4. Leveling... Let's just go ahead and call that a grind fest for now.. Seriously.. Guildleve doesn't award exp.. the crap? Also why does your main physical level go up faster than your class level.. I find that system utterly stupid.. not only is it redundantly hard to level physical level but it is twice as hard to level my class level.. After awhile I wonder why I even bother to level out 2 class..
5. There are simply NO quests that rewards exp.. Guildleves are a joke.. Main quests although exciting offers nothing to improve your character...

So I am just going to flat out and say it.. FINAL GRIND FEST XIV. Holy sh*t yes I know Grind exist in every game.. but other games make it at least bearable or make it very unnoticeable.. Guildwars made grinding to 20 a 1 hour deal.. WoW made it quests for everyone to level.. Aion tries to make quests but fails to give out interesting ones.. Silkroad online.. @#%^ that game..

Final Fantasy XIV on the other hand... WTF.. Guildleve offer absolute crap rewards.. Main quests offers money.. so am I suppose to kill crap all day or something? How exiciting.. NO!!


Here is a screen shot of my collectors edition receipt.. I deeply care about this game.. and wish I can enjoy it.. but it's flaw is simply unbearable... I play aion. I played Final fantasy XI .. I played WoW.. I have played guild wars.. I have played diablo 1, and 2.. but this is the first game ever that completely crushed my faith in its success...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/student908065/Untitled-2.jpg


Despite the attempt to make all of that look like thorough criticism....all I read was "Why isn't the game easier? I want a trail of bread crumbs leading from level1 to cap and endgame with the least amount of work and especially thought put into it. Don't waste my time filling the game with an amazing storyline and things I won't notice because I don't play games to enjoy them."
____________________________

#18 Sep 03 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
I like everybody's responses but for Simool, how does not getting exp from quests make sense? A quest is exploration and doing tasks, and from exploration and tasks a person should naturally gain experience.

you have a good point, but i think what he means is that the way you get that quest exp is kinda like as if your being given a physical item you can hold because its a chunk of exp physicly handed to you by another person (NPC) which in itself would make less sense than getting exp as your actually killing something.

you get class points per action you do durring combat too you know, maybe not alot but to me that part does make sense
____________________________

#19 Sep 03 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
Ok this blame on beta and nitpicking people is getting really really old.. Are you that naive? People are not complaining about the dam bugs.. they are complaining because the game is simply out right boring and unintuitive.. Let's go ahead and list it .. So it will actually go through your skull..

I play in Limsa ... Honestly every other starter town sucks.. and are way too small..
1. Dodo birds why in the **** is it spawning near noob areas .. where not a single solo person can kill it? WHY? WHY?
2. Why are all the good and easily kill-able mobs at low level.. extremely far away from the healing zone (i.e. aether crystal)?
3. Is it really that **** hard to implement a search system for npc.. or better yet Icons.. yes those icons that litter your very desktop.. why not implement them in to the game and save us the trouble of walking around forever looking for a single npc... I am going to go ahead and anticipate your response.. No I don't really care for discovery and exploration.. I just want stuff done.. and done right.. I am not a kind of person that enjoys and trial and miss session with looking for npc's..
4. Leveling... Let's just go ahead and call that a grind fest for now.. Seriously.. Guildleve doesn't award exp.. the crap? Also why does your main physical level go up faster than your class level.. I find that system utterly stupid.. not only is it redundantly hard to level physical level but it is twice as hard to level my class level.. After awhile I wonder why I even bother to level out 2 class..
5. There are simply NO quests that rewards exp.. Guildleves are a joke.. Main quests although exciting offers nothing to improve your character...

So I am just going to flat out and say it.. FINAL GRIND FEST XIV. Holy sh*t yes I know Grind exist in every game.. but other games make it at least bearable or make it very unnoticeable.. Guildwars made grinding to 20 a 1 hour deal.. WoW made it quests for everyone to level.. Aion tries to make quests but fails to give out interesting ones.. Silkroad online.. @#%^ that game..

Final Fantasy XIV on the other hand... WTF.. Guildleve offer absolute crap rewards.. Main quests offers money.. so am I suppose to kill crap all day or something? How exiciting.. NO!!


Here is a screen shot of my collectors edition receipt.. I deeply care about this game.. and wish I can enjoy it.. but it's flaw is simply unbearable... I play aion. I played Final fantasy XI .. I played WoW.. I have played guild wars.. I have played diablo 1, and 2.. but this is the first game ever that completely crushed my faith in its success...


Okay, you're not going to like this, but it needs to be said, don't care if I get rated up or down, it needs to be said.If you don't like it, don't ******* play it. This game doesn't need ******* mouth breathing rejects like you playing. If you're just going to pitch a *****, exit out of XIV, mouse over what ever easy mode mmo you came from, most likely WoW at this point, and go back to playing it. Yes there are some issues still present in this beta, note the term beta, meaning nothing is set in stone. The thing is still changing as we go closer to retail. They are still in the process of fixing things as the game gets closer to release. **** they have fixed a few things between phase 3 and open beta, like the fact every successful synth rewards skill points.

Dodo birds killing you? Well don't **** with them solo, at the level where they will **** you up, they're meant to be taken down with more than a person. Low level mobs too far away from the aetherite? If you're a class with mp, means you don't burn through finite resources. Can't find an NPC? Don't expect a giant flashing arrow over its head. This game expects you to do some footwork, such as going to where the quest says and talk to npcs there, if the quest itself doesn't tell you which npcs to talk to. Use that ******* thing between your ears once in awhile. Out of leves, guess what you grind. Even WoW had some grinding to it before they listened to all the ******* whiners, anyone remember vanilla WoW? The fact that leves don't give you ohmahgodfookinawsom rewards is so crafters don't get ****** over. Why buy gear from someone when you can get a superior piece from a leve?

I say this from the bottom of my heart, don't like it leave. We sure as **** don't want your kind in this game.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.





#20 Sep 03 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
320 posts
All this negative stuff reminds me of an argument I had with my friend. He criticized the emote system and then went to say that the openings and cutscenes in FFXIV are stupid and unnecessary and trying to defend WoW by saying it had a superior quest system and brought you right into the game from the beginning.

So to compare... starting the game with absolutely no explanation of how to do anything, no background for what's going on, and merely seeing some dude with a ! over his head and giving you what looks like a 90s dungeon game dialogue on a piece of paper is superior to this? A game that throws you right into the action with elaborate cutscenes and expressions, characters you can actually feel attached to, and quests/a story you feel like you're a part of?

Oh ok.
____________________________


#21 Sep 03 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
86 posts
@nick2412

1.There's nothing wrong with actually having a varied range of mobs within an area, it gives it more life compared to other games where it's basically, this is the lv 1-10 area, now go to the lv 11-20 area, move up to 21-25. At least you have a varied level range of mobs where when guild leves are said and done you can basically xp in any region/zone and always find a mob within your level range.

2. There's really no need to rely on the crystal to quickly heal yourself, I have yet to use it myself in the sense of using it to take advantage of healing myself so I can get back into the action faster. At most it takes about 1-3 mins standing perfectly still to recover fully if you need to so it's not a big deal imo if you have to venture out to a desolate area to find mobs to xp on.

3.Kinda miss the point of what SE likes to do compared to other MMO's most other MMO's basically just hold you by the leash and show you where to go. While sure at times it's hard to find an NPC you can if you use wiki for some. if you're talking about finding an NPC for a crafting leve I actually found the NPC I needed through wiki and now I'll always know where they are. If you are however referring to the main quest then look again at your quest information and click on the Map button which will tell you where to go. While yes it would be nice for SE to add that Map function to the local leves as well at leas tit's implemented for the main quest.

4.I guess the mobs you kill giving you xp don't count? Basically think of Guildleves as mobs you don't fight over, that you can choose the difficulty from 1-5 and earn gear and money in the process. To be able to easily fight mobs without being to bogged down by competition is nice compensation. I really don't know what's the big deal about xp, it's tougher to gain skill but then again you can get a good chunk of skill during guild leves.

5.Again people spoiled by other MMO's what purpose do quest that give you xp serve? They are an empty reward that when you reach level cap will then be quest that offer you nothing. It's not that hard to gain xp and if you actually consider your options it's not hard to level. Make some friends party up with Guild leves and soon enough you'll see yourself rolling in the xp.

Sure SE said one could solo but then never said they'd be able to level at the same pace as those who work together. if you are concerned about leveling fast, team up with those who want to level. It seems like you're basing you're experience on a solo point and if that's the case then that's why it's slow. It's not meant to be as fast as partying, though partying itself could use some tweaks but seriously, I've hit class rank 11 on marauder and I don't see anything wrong with the pace of leveling in terms of solo.

If there was any true negatives I could agree with the above would be the lack of challenge the main quest have offered as of now. To me they just feel like a reward for reaching a certain level rather then a challenge you have to overcome making it feel a bit stale in terms of what it could be. It's the fact quest are far and few. You get a quest at lv 1, then another at lv 10, the one I did in Uld was so short I was left in disbelief with how short the lv 10 quest was. I was hoping to get into a fight or have to progress through some instance dungeon but it was just a bunch of running and talking. With the way the pace feels it seems like the main quest are setup to continue at 1,10,20,30,40,50.. and so on which is lame.

if SE added more quest there could at least be more to do, more challenges to overcome but if there's anything wrong with the build as of now it's how light the content feels. For people who may be seeing this as a "free trial" they may be turned off thinking this is the final product but hopefully SE will reveal some new concepts so that players who may find what they see as to little might actually be welcomed by the new challenges made.

I agree with mogwaimon it's got a good starting base but it's just missing an aspect to really wow everyone. While as it stands now and compared to XI, if the expansions are anything like XI this game will be great since over the years XI has multiplied with it's amount of content and things to do. It's exciting to see what content may be in the works for XIV but I personally feel a tad impatient waiting to see what it's store because the content just feels so light now. I'm really hoping there's content they are waiting til release to show and it'll be something casual and hardcore can both enjoy.
#22 Sep 03 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
Love the fanboyism that goes on in this argument.

This douche up a few posts above me trying to defend leves doing absolutely nothing is full of ****.

Trying to defend crafters? Are you seriously that ******* retarded? You have rose colored shades on if you think that a quest reward would put crafters out of business especially given all the emphasis they are putting on them, namely no auction house.

And then saying that they don't need to give xp is a personal thing, however the game starts out, you do your main quest (the first part) do guild leves and finish at like level 4 and cant start anymore leves or the 2nd part of the main quest until level 10. This is so new player unfriendly and counter intuitive to everything they said they were going to try to do to make this different from XI.

Please stop being a squeenix leg humper/keyboard champion and be realistic, you're retarded.
#23 Sep 03 2010 at 5:40 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
320 posts
wtf is this "rose-coloured glasses/shades" expression. The only place I've ever heard that is here.

And the only person I've heard say it other than this guy is Mikhalia or whatever their name is.
____________________________


#24 Sep 03 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
Making everything seem nicer than it is by being blissfully unaware and/or ignorant.

It's like making everything seem prettier by looking through pretty colored glasses.

And i wasn't talking to you for the record.
#25 Sep 03 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
770 posts
Rose colored glasses: object from which you look through and the world looks perfect and nothing can go wrong.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#26 Sep 03 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
770 posts
Doodwtf8 wrote:

And i wasn't talking to you for the record.


Insulting anyone on here for a diffrence of opinion though is nto a good idea. 1) its jsut rude 2) why even bother tryign to flame sombody or insult them? it only maeks you look bad.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#27 Sep 03 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
You quote me and not the person who i was talking to calling everyone who doesn't agree with everything square enix has done "mouth breathers".

OMG HOW DARE YOU SAY THIS GAME IS NOT PERFECT YOU MUST BE RETARDED/***/12 YEARS OLD
#28 Sep 03 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
320 posts
I want glasses like that.
____________________________


#29 Sep 03 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
Another metaphor is like a horses' blinders. Can't see anything else but what they are looking directly at.

Keep those blinders up dude :)
#30 Sep 03 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Excellent
**
423 posts
Rjain wrote:
So to compare... starting the game with absolutely no explanation of how to do anything, no background for what's going on, and merely seeing some dude with a ! over his head and giving you what looks like a 90s dungeon game dialogue on a piece of paper is superior to this? A game that throws you right into the action with elaborate cutscenes and expressions, characters you can actually feel attached to, and quests/a story you feel like you're a part of?


Is it necessary to work a WoW bash into every little comment? That was old half a decade ago. Really. It's time to move on.

As for me, I'm having some fun with the beta. I could name a hundred things wrong right now, but I'm still glad to be in, learning things that will make the game that much smoother upon release. The combat's a lot more active than FFXI's, which I really like.
____________________________
Esthalos of Fairy
Hume, rank 10, San d'Oria
BRD75, PLD67, WHM42, WAR37, NIN37, SMN20

Armant wrote:
ok let no say this again once...

U have 20 dmg, u shoot 30 dmg, but if ur not RNG, u want HALF, with no time reload, so u get 10. but, BUT, u want no DRG since ur shooting, so its 30 dmg or 10?
#31 Sep 03 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
It's the fanyboy mentality hard at work. "O yes square enix made this game, it's so much better than WoW no matter what, omg i love squeenix so much, **** WoW!"

Every conversation/argument devolves into a FF vs WoW battle because half the people her get butthurt when someone does a simple comparison. Fanboys are incapable of having anywhere near a regular conversation or debate.
#32 Sep 03 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
Is it necessary to work a WoW bash into every little comment? That was old half a decade ago. Really. It's time to move on.


Hi. Welcome to the world of post reading. You didn't seem to do so.

The beginning of my post stated that my friend was bashing FFXIV and saying WoW is better, in which case I proceeded to compare the games based on what he said.

I wasn't bashing it I was posting basically what he said.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 7:55pm by Rjain
____________________________


#33 Sep 03 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Excellent
**
305 posts
I was going to post something constructive here... but f-it the crappy updater finally finished its download. I'm going to play some more of the beta and decide for myself if the game is a good game for me or not.
____________________________


#34 Sep 03 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
"no background for what's going on, and merely seeing some dude with a ! over his head and giving you what looks like a 90s dungeon game dialogue on a piece of paper is superior to this? A game that throws you right into the action with elaborate cutscenes and expressions, characters you can actually feel attached to, and quests/a story you feel like you're a part of?"

That is where you went wrong, you say it's like a 90's dungeon game then glorify the cutscenes haha. If they took half the time they spent on cutscenes and added some meat to the games bones I wouldn't gripe so much. And if you don't get attached to WoW that's a personal thing, I got really attached to the Dragon age storyline and few of my friends didn't.

I don't feel anywhere near attached to 14's story. Kind of hard when you get a quest every 10 levels and the inbetween time is killing 700 squirrells. Shouldn't i be nice to the forest instead of raping legions of mushroom men?
#35 Sep 03 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
That is where you went wrong, you say it's like a 90's dungeon game then glorify the cutscenes haha. If they took half the time they spent on cutscenes and added some meat to the games bones I wouldn't gripe so much. And if you don't get attached to WoW that's a personal thing, I got really attached to the Dragon age storyline and few of my friends didn't.

I don't feel anywhere near attached to 14's story. Kind of hard when you get a quest every 10 levels and the inbetween time is killing 700 squirrells. Shouldn't i be nice to the forest instead of raping legions of mushroom men?


For someone who is ******** about fanboys you're not exactly looking like Captain Neutral yourself.

I played WoW for years, and I only played XI for about 1-2 years and played in XIV beta since around July or the beginning of August.

I am pretty far from being a fanboy. I merely react to the stupid "FFXIV sux WoW is better" sh*t.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 8:00pm by Rjain
____________________________


#36 Sep 03 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
I despise WoW for what it's become. It is way too easy but FF is the other end of the spectrum and then trying to throw in casual **** into a hardcore centric game.

It feels like they took a stick, broke it in half then taped the 2 ***-ends together and said Ta-Da!

When you cut WoW's start down (Hello? Intro movie explaining who you are, your faction blah blah, not to mention they just redid every single races intro for cat) with nothing but bad things to say then make FF just sound like god shat it out himself, it makes you obviously look like you are favoring one side. You need to step back and take pros and cons cause nothing is perfect. Plenty of people say there is nothing wrong with this game and it's perfect. That's where we come back to the rose glasses.

Ignorance is bliss, stay in the dark dude, seeing the other side of an argument might scare you :P
#37 Sep 03 2010 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
764 posts
This game will get a lot of bad press from anything else mmo related for at least awhile. Why? It isn't a WoW clone. Everyone expects those, everyone wants the easy game, the linear level system, Point A to Point B, the fast attacks button mash cooldowns. This isn't that. This game is NOT aimed at the masses, so the masses will complain, I for one, am glad to finally get another mmo that's aimed in my direction and not the "usual" a lot of people are going to post about how they don't like it, or its bad because x or there's not enough quests, battle is slow, wheres my auto attack. Its not that kind of game and never will be, was never meant to be, was never made out to be.

TLDR: This game is NOT made for the mainstream audience, them being the the largest audience will complain because its not suited to them and it will be loud.
____________________________


#38 Sep 03 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
I despise WoW for what it's become. It is way too easy but FF is the other end of the spectrum and then trying to throw in casual sh*t into a hardcore centric game.


Except they aren't throwing in casual sh*t, they are hampering non casual sh*t and calling it casual friendly because of that. Its the dumbest thing I've seen and my #1 gripe, though I do expect it will be fixed in the future.
____________________________


#39 Sep 03 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
Everyone keeps bringing up how the other games are all spamming buttons but i am level 13 physical and 12 marauder and have just been spamming my attacks as soon as they come up... The chain with other members is a good idea if it worked more than 10% of the time (it's bugged cause it's beta i know, i know). WAR's combat system was the only mmo i've played to actually revamp the "k that ability just went shiny so use that" mentality.

Sorry but all i've been doing is hitting **** since it came up. It really isn't more complicated and/or better than anything else ive played.

Special snowflake mentality runs rampant on these forums.
#40 Sep 03 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
Nothing is perfect...everyone has opinions...if you don't like what you see in FFXIV...don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. Its probably not for you.

Seriously...it does take a special breed to play FF and understand that it is not like the other MMOs. I've play a ton of MMMOs - FFXI(4yrs), EQ2(3yrs), WoW(6 months...all it took to complete game and max gear through endless boring raids). Heck...I even played Warhammer for about 6 months. Nothing was like FFXI...NOTHING. Basically everything is a WOW clone...because its all about the mighty $$. Now SE...they care about the $$ of course...but they also care about the art. And yea...they do some really screwy things...but they do try to be original. They are willing to take chances. I am one who happens to find that interesting and entertaining.

So...It would be nice if people would stop ******** about an incomplete product. Who the heck knows what kind of game 14 is going to be. SE doesnt even know...because its probably not written yet...and if it is...it can be changed.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 8:19pm by Simool
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#41 Sep 03 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
The whole play a class for a certain time then start up another seems casual, someone can log in for a few hours a day and level up every crafting skill and be a one man army, that isn't necessarily a bad thing but having someone in the game that can do everything really eliminates the feel of classes being concrete. "O we need a tank let me just equip my sword"

Idk, personally I don't like it, it's an opinion.
#42 Sep 03 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
easy fights yes your just knocking your stamina out soon as it comes up, but you get spoiled by that and doing difficult group fights you probably die before figuring out ( >.< ) there is more thought needed on what to use. Unfortunately since were all soloing easy enemies right now, its "the usual" rotation because there isn't anything else to do and obviously no battle regimens needed.

What is really needed to show off how this games battle system is supposed to work, is more Party vs. Monster Party fights.
____________________________


#43 Sep 03 2010 at 6:22 PM Rating: Decent
*
61 posts
You state that it's ok for people to have opinions then ask everyone to stop *********

The first half of your post conflicts with the second but i agree with you to a point. It seems like they went a little overboard with innovation and put in **** that is not needed and over complicates the game.

It's like they wanted to distance themselves so far from other MMO's that they refused to get any inspiration from anywhere else and made half the **** not make sense.
#44 Sep 03 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
in comparison dood, I dont like the usual roll 6 alts of different classes deal because no character is concrete they are all a throwaway 1 direction tool. You can easily get bored of a character out of lack of anything to do with them since they are so limited and mass alts = less knit community. This is part of my above "this is not made for the usual, some of us like it the other way and this is for us"
____________________________


#45 Sep 03 2010 at 6:25 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
You say that we need to do all this other crap to see the combat system for what it really is and let it shine which will happen later.

Take your first few boars in WoW vs the Lich King. If you say there is no difference in fighting there and if you say there is nothing to any fight in WoW but spamming buttons you are an ignorant person.

#46 Sep 03 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
320 posts
Quote:
When you cut WoW's start down (Hello? Intro movie explaining who you are, your faction blah blah, not to mention they just redid every single races intro for cat) with nothing but bad things to say then make FF just sound like god shat it out himself, it makes you obviously look like you are favoring one side.


Forgive me for finding that starting out with someone going "You are a blood elf there was an attack reclaim who you are" whatever and then starting with a ! over someone's head to start a grind that will last you until level cap is not quite as good as starting out in the middle of some action and getting right into something from the beginning.

Does FFXIV have flaws? Yes, but, I personally prefer a game with some immersion and story over something like WoW. And I played WoW, a lot.

Am I favouring something? Yes, of course. Am I being a fanboy? No. I have quite a lot of experience with WoW, moreso than most of the people who defend it.

I mean, even XI which is older than WoW had better cutscenes and quests in my opinion. What did WoW have going for it? Well it was easy, had better marketing... oh, and it had PVP. I liked PVP. I think that was about it.

They could probably make Bejeweled, the MMO and it would make several million subscribers.
____________________________


#47 Sep 03 2010 at 6:28 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
With linkshells and companies how would that make a less knit community...

That's fine and you can like it that way, it is a personal preference. But for someone to say it is fact that this way is better is ignorant and obnoxious, no one defends WoW or any other mmo bashing on here because this forum is filled with "omg you don't like this game you must play WoW, **** you" people. I am bringing neutrality to the conversations on here, no one seems to think that the coin has another side.
#48 Sep 03 2010 at 6:31 PM Rating: Default
*
61 posts
You said preference and opinion in your post at least twice.

I am not arguing opinions I am arguing the facts of the games. I am not talking about "Well i like grinding more than questing". That is a stupid trivial argument that no one gives a **** about. Facts are concrete and that is what i am supplying. This forum is filled with leg humpers, fact. FF has ******* amazing graphics, fact. WoW has better gameplay in favor of FF's aesthetic properties, opinion.

Mmm the force is strong with this one.
#49 Sep 03 2010 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
118 posts
Rjain wrote:
I'm still positive about the game. A lot of the negative comments are coming from very nitpicky people or just the fact that it's a beta, like the beta lag and crashes.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the world seems like it's going to be really small come release. It almost seems as though there's only going to be 6 zones (not counting dungeons) in the release version while didn't XI start with... 18 or something?


I think the map is set up differently with regard to how far the cities are from each other. In FFXI, the cities were all at opposite ends of the map almost. In FFXIV, they're closer together. In part, I think this is because there is more need to travel between cities, since you need to access your guild, and not every city has every guild. So instead of making it a long dangerous walk between cities where you need to be highish level, they made it a short walk that you could do while still a noob, in case you're, say, a Marauder but you don't want to start in Limsa where the Marauder's guild is. There will be a lot of to explore, but instead of trekking across the whole world to go between cities, you get to cut across zones that have a lot of space in them that you don't cross just following the roads between cities.

Anyway, I think anyone who like XI will love XIV. If you didn't like XI, this isn't your game. Square is trying to please its current fans first and foremost while bringing casual gamers in.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2010 8:43pm by Solimurr
#50 Sep 03 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Rjain wrote:
wtf is this "rose-coloured glasses/shades" expression. The only place I've ever heard that is here.

And the only person I've heard say it other than this guy is Mikhalia or whatever their name is.


It's a pretty common expression in the USA, and it's been around for a century at least.

Looking at some thing through rose colored glasses means that you don't acknowledge any faults and choose to be naive or ignorant about reality. Unlike "burying your head in the sand" there doesn't need to be an actual problem that requires your attention, it's just a blissfully (and unrealistically) positive view.
#51 Sep 03 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Decent
DooD wrote:
I am not arguing opinions I am arguing the facts of the games.
No, you're arguing poorly written opinions mixed with insults.

I /salute you on your way to no-rate town.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)