The intro screen takes up 50% CPU, just the screen with "Start" and "Quit" on it. The character select takes 70% CPU. Normally in-game it's at 85-90% CPU, during which it's fairly fluid. Other times the CPU will max out and everything will go to stuttery 5-fps **** with lots of mouse delay, extra lag, jitteriness, making it almost unplayable.
Can somebody please clue me in as to just what the **** is going on?
Please don't reply to this with anything involving in-game settings or the other game configuration settings. I've tried all of those, even setting them to High to try to move the load from the CPU to the GPU. I've even tried pretty much everything in the latest ATI Catalyst. (My brand-new 5770 can handle almost anything this game can throw at it, fairly fluidly. Quibbling over 30-40 fps isn't something I care about when I randomly get five and the software mouse delayed by two seconds.) I've even tried overclocking and it doesn't help much before the system goes ka-flunk- can't OC this machine or it'll just keel over, especially not the system bus. My last attempt was to set my RAM to Ganged mode and that didn't work either. All my drivers are updated to latest versions.
Things that make my CPU usage spike:
Zoning, even with no players around.
Being in a place with lots of players absolutely kills it.
The menu system, particularly with a lot of menus on top of each other.
Players coming into and out of my general area.
I can run the benchmark twice in a row and once I'll get no fps dips (final score: 2295) and the other times it'll max out my CPU for a while on certain heavy parts, the framerate will go to ****, and I'll get 1700 at the end.
Athlon X2 7750
ASRock 780GMH/128 mobo
ATI Radeon HD 5770
2 GB DDR2 800 (400 mhz)
Lots and lots of SATA HD space