As other people have said in the past, the benchmark isn't really that accurate but my case is so extreme that I though to let everyone know about it. While still trying to sort my new compter for FFXIV I tried the Beta on my old one because I really had nothing to loose. My experience was as follows.
I tried the benchmar at the loest setting and got an all mighty ~200 (yes 200, not 2000) but I was able to kind of play the game with the following specs.
-=-=-=-=-=-=- System Information -=-=-=-=-=-=-
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz
Number of Processors Logical Core Count 1 Physical Core Count 1
Physical Memory 2047.297MB
Virtual Memory 2047.875MB
DirectX Version DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Graphic Device(s) NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Alright, every CS too about 4 minutes to load and these where choppy as **** but I was still able to play.
Ingame I was probbalby doing something like 10, 20 FPS.