Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Xbox 360 Controller !!! OMGFollow

#52 Sep 06 2010 at 8:12 AM Rating: Default
*
147 posts
ahh ok cheers/

gonna have to get one of them =/

would a normal wired controller work?
probably cheaper to get than a wireless thingy.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 10:14am by bushpig
#53 Sep 06 2010 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
*
149 posts
Yeah wired would work. I think the cheapest wireless adapter is probably the same price as a wired controller though.
Actually, im wrong this standard wired xbox 360 controller is like 5 bucks more than the used wireless adapter from amazon. I got mine from the place selling them used, it works great, although i prefer the ps3 controller for xi, and the 360 for lazy fpsing. Since you already have the play and charge you could definitely go for the wireless if you wanted.
#54 Sep 06 2010 at 8:29 AM Rating: Default
*
147 posts
yea, looks like the wireless receiver is slightly cheaper than the controller.

thanks guys
#55 Oct 08 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
When I go to the config screen to do the controller, a box shows up with a bunch of Japanese characters and doesn't let me do anything past that. Any idea what else I can do to activate the controller?
#56 Oct 08 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Nevermind. Figured it out. Apparently, I left the game open and it was an error saying to close the game.
#57 Oct 08 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
<----- Agreed.

Next I just need the wireless receiver.

After that a wireless keyboard that is backlit.

Too bad the 360 Chat pad does not work with FFXIV. It is backlit and would be the super dank of all-in-one wireless FFXIV.
#58 Oct 08 2010 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
Dnied wrote:
Hey quick question to you 360 controller users out there...

What do you do about the controller shutting off when left inactive for like, 5 minutes lol it's so annoying..

If i go make food or phone call or anything, I come back to my pc and the controller is off and I have to reboot the game etc lol is there a way around this?
Yeah, I'd like to know if there's a solution to this too. Sucks when your controller times out and doesn't work unless you reboot. Never had this problem in FFXI. Whenever I'd turn it back on it would work fine. Maybe it's something SE needs to patch. The only solution I know of now is to keep it plugged into the Play and Charge kit so it doesn't go to sleep, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a wireless controller that's fully charged.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 2:21pm by Harri
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#59 Oct 08 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Oenos wrote:
I started right away with a controller cause I knew it was going to suck with the keyboard.

I've never enjoyed moving my character with keyboard buttons.


Most people who've played FFXI for any length of time were expecting to bring a gamepad to this--and probably brought the gamepad they played FFXI with. I did.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 3:37pm by ChrisMattern
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#60 Oct 08 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,005 posts
Harri wrote:
Dnied wrote:
Hey quick question to you 360 controller users out there...

What do you do about the controller shutting off when left inactive for like, 5 minutes lol it's so annoying..

If i go make food or phone call or anything, I come back to my pc and the controller is off and I have to reboot the game etc lol is there a way around this?
Yeah, I'd like to know if there's a solution to this too. Sucks when your controller times out and doesn't work unless you reboot. Never had this problem in FFXI. Whenever I'd turn it back on it would work fine. Maybe it's something SE needs to patch. The only solution I know of now is to keep it plugged into the Play and Charge kit so it doesn't go to sleep, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a wireless controller that's fully charged.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 2:21pm by Harri


You could just spend $20 on a USB Logitech RumblePad 2, and have something you never need to worry about batteries on, has better responsiveness and is a better fit with FFXIV (It's laid out exactly like a PS2/PS3 controller).
____________________________
Chris Mattern
#61 Oct 08 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,587 posts
ChrisMattern wrote:
Harri wrote:
Dnied wrote:
Hey quick question to you 360 controller users out there...

What do you do about the controller shutting off when left inactive for like, 5 minutes lol it's so annoying..

If i go make food or phone call or anything, I come back to my pc and the controller is off and I have to reboot the game etc lol is there a way around this?
Yeah, I'd like to know if there's a solution to this too. Sucks when your controller times out and doesn't work unless you reboot. Never had this problem in FFXI. Whenever I'd turn it back on it would work fine. Maybe it's something SE needs to patch. The only solution I know of now is to keep it plugged into the Play and Charge kit so it doesn't go to sleep, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a wireless controller that's fully charged.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 2:21pm by Harri


You could just spend $20 on a USB Logitech RumblePad 2, and have something you never need to worry about batteries on, has better responsiveness and is a better fit with FFXIV (It's laid out exactly like a PS2/PS3 controller).
That isn't exactly a solution. If I wanted to play on a RumblePad I'd already have one. I prefer the 360 controller being that I also have a 360 and I'm used to it. It works fine with any other game I've used it on with the PC. This is the first time where a game doesn't recognize it after it falls asleep and is turned back on. SE needs to fix this, and I wouldn't think it'd be that hard of a fix. FFXI never had this problem.
____________________________
Harri
80BLU/80BST/76RNG/75THF/75WHM/60SCH
100+3 Bonecraft
#62 Feb 13 2011 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
31 posts
Wow. Thanks for posting your Xbox 360 set up. Combat is so much more smoother now that I'm not spam clicking 1 and other abilities. Difference is night and day. I'm in love.
____________________________


Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#63 Feb 14 2011 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
291 posts
If I connect and install my Rumblepad 2 in addition to my Xbox 360 controller I don't have issue with the controller not being recognized on wakeup. Don't know if this will help anyone...
____________________________

#64 Feb 14 2011 at 6:55 AM Rating: Default
25 posts
Hi, I recently got the wireless adapter for my 360 controller and had realy trouble trying to get the **** thing to recongize the controller.. If anyone does this and they cannot get it to connect, just read through this thread beneath. It really helped me out.

Cheers

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistagaming/thread/0e141e88-64f4-4bbd-8dad-7eb12a22cab6
#65 Feb 14 2011 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
Targeting a mob with a controller is a pain in the rear though.

I also have trouble navigating the equipment menu and skill bar with the d-pad but other than that the controller is definitely a million times better than controlling the character with keys(it looks horrible too).
#66 Feb 14 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
26 posts
I've been using a ps3 controller on xiv, i honestly dont even know how ive been playing with keyboard/mouse, ps3 controller blows it away in terms of versatility. im 100% faster and more accurate in everything i do.

bluetooth works great with xiv too, all i did was buy this bluetooth adapter, but any EDR compatible bluetooth dongle will work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156069

i have newfound enjoyment for this game since my carpul tunnel isnt getting to me anymore.

Quote:
Hey quick question to you 360 controller users out there...

What do you do about the controller shutting off when left inactive for like, 5 minutes lol it's so annoying..


Thats weird, with the ps3 controller it will idle after about 10 minutes when wireless, but tapping the PS button on it will wake it up and connect it instantly, even in xiv.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 1:00pm by Scalettaxiv
#67 Feb 14 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
57 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
Targeting a mob with a controller is a pain in the rear though.


This is true for the default setting. However, using a 3rd party profiler, such as Xpadder, pinnacle or many others, you can remap any controller button to any keyboard key.

An example;

I have bound my Left bumper button to "F8"
Hitting this will target the closest mob/npc in my frontal viewing cone. Making targeting mobs during leves/behests/parties quite easy.

Same can be done for any of the F commands for targeting.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 3:13pm by jedipimp
#68 Feb 14 2011 at 11:37 PM Rating: Good
***
1,004 posts
I just started playing (after getting fed up in beta with the lack of keyboard customization options) and was impressed with some of the minor things that had been fixed since when I played the game in "fail" mode.

However, keyboard customization options are still pretty limited and its incredibly frustrating. I should be able to define whatever key I want, to whatever bind I want it to be. This "some keys you can, and some keys you cant" stuff is complete *********

That being said, I was able to get the keyboard to work "somewhat" to my liking and ground up to level 15 over the weekend (steep freaking learning curve in this game, most newcomers are probably going to give up the first week in if they haven't already been dedicated to previous MMO games - the experience it takes just to understand basic things is... mind boggling).

HOWEVER, I have an Xbox 360 controller for PC I bought about a year ago since it just seemed like a logical choice for PC gaming, and I figured if I ever grew tired of it I could give it to a friend and they'd make use of it on their Xbox. After fumbling with the keyboard controls for the past couple days, I decided this is probably best played with a controller, it just FEELS like it's built around the controller (understandably so, as a multi-platform-intended-release).

I don't have time to log on tonight (just did V-day stuff with my wife and have to go to bed so I can get up for work in the morning) - but this thread is bookmarked as I feel it will help greatly in determining the proper layout for my gamepad.

I was dreading having to 'figure out' what a good way to work macros and stuff into the controls would be, and the only thing I could find was the list of controller settings for FFXI on FFXIclopedia.org ( http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Controller ) which is a good start, but doesn't translate perfectly.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks for the good input on the thread and I hope it's as useful as I think it will be when I sit down to play tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out!
____________________________
Posting from just above the generator.
#69 Feb 15 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
PROBLEM: Wireless 360 controllers forget they are connected to your PC when you put them down for a break and will not reconnect until you log out and back in again.

To fix this, people have suggested buying the Plug'n'Charge kit to keep your controller connected.

My questions is, why in the world would you want to buy a wireless controller, a wireless reciever and the BUY A WIRE to make it work right? *sigh*

Further, I have purchased 5 (yes 5!) brand new 360 controllers, on top of the 4 360 controllers I already had (total of nine controllers) and not a single one of them have joysticks that fall within the FFXIV deadzone. This means that my charcter runs off randomly at times. The movement joystick for ALL 9 controllers shows up off-center in the FFXIV config calibration.

Microsoft, do you send all of your controller rejects to the Midwest?

So I bought one of these:

Logitech Cordless Rumblepad™ 2
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/287

The joysticks are precise. However, the controller itself does not feel as comfortable as the 360. It also has the dual joystick layout of the PS3 controller (right next to each other).

If you look closely at the picture in the link you will see two extra buttons. Vibration where the start button goes, not really a problem. But on the other side there is some switch joystick/d-pad toggle button that goes where the select button should be.

Sometimes I toggle the joystick/d-pad when I go to open the map. But I find this better then running off randomly because my 360 controllers are poorly made.
#70 Feb 15 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
57 posts
Trying my 4 wireless and one of my old wired controllers to test out your dead zone problem.
Every single of of my controllers worked perfectly. When I say perfectly, I mean there wasn't a single moment where the controller didn't fall back to dead center.
I find it very odd, and impossible for all 9 of your controllers to perform this way. It's just illogical.
So, looking deeper, I have discovered within windows controller configs you can calibrate your controller. In doing so, I config'd a controller to be off center. I was then able to reproduce your problem every time. Going back in to windows, recalibrate'd and it works with no problems again.

Hope this helps.
#71 Feb 15 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
if xbox controllers are so troublesome, why go through the trouble buying all these extra peripherals rather than just buy a wired pc controller with a similar layout? I have tons of them laying around the house and they are about half the cost of an xbox controller not to mention the extra crap you need to get it to work on pc. Afer all that stuff, a pc controller is probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price and is designed for the job.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#72 Feb 15 2011 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
Now if only I can configure my ps3 controller. I find the XBox controller to be one of the worst controls of any system I ever played(minus that jaguar controller from the late nineties....yuck). The D-pad is terrible to navigate menus and hotbars with, especially in a situation that calls for lots of action. Just a personal opinion, not attacking those who like the controller
____________________________
"Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer, but only after digesting it in small portions over a long period of time" -G. Carlin-
#73 Feb 15 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
if xbox controllers are so troublesome, why go through the trouble buying all these extra peripherals rather than just buy a wired pc controller with a similar layout? I have tons of them laying around the house and they are about half the cost of an xbox controller not to mention the extra crap you need to get it to work on pc. Afer all that stuff, a pc controller is probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price and is designed for the job.


Well the thing is Jefro. The 360 controller, is really just a Microsoft controller. Micorsoft fully supports the "Gaming controller for Windows" as they call it, in use with their operating systems. They even sell them direct from their own website. Infact, Microsoft used to sell a range of different controllers for Windows. They have all been nixed and they now only sell the Xbox 360™ Wireless Controller for Windows®. Which is identical to the 360 controllers. These are plug and play with zero setup. Right out of the box, I can plug any 360 controller into my win7 machine, vista or even XP and within 10 seconds its working.

The problem is, with the normal windows drivers, while they work flawlessly, do not allow for a lot of customization, such as remapping. This is where 3rd party software comes in.

You will also see people with problems who are using older Windows version with out the latest drivers and service packs.
Also, people who are trying to plug the controller in to the PC with a play and charge kit. Which does not work.

In addition, most people already HAVE a 360 controller. So why go out and buy a PC controller as you suggest, since the 360 is already a PC controller, that is actually more supported by Windows then any 3rd party controllers as you suggest, all which need 3rd party drivers and software installed in order for them to work properly :)

Using a 360 controller, is and should be easier then any other options for using a controller with Windows. Most problems are user error and would encounter the same issues with any other branded controller.
#74 Feb 15 2011 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
LProof777 wrote:
Now if only I can configure my ps3 controller. I find the XBox controller to be one of the worst controls of any system I ever played(minus that jaguar controller from the late nineties....yuck). The D-pad is terrible to navigate menus and hotbars with, especially in a situation that calls for lots of action. Just a personal opinion, not attacking those who like the controller


I'm a little confused. Would you not have to navigate the menus and hotbars with the PS3 controller just the same?
#75 Feb 15 2011 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
I have a 360 controller and a wireless adapter, so I'm well aware how it all works with pc. All I meant to say was that between the wireless receiver and the wired connector to keep it turned on, a PC controller with a similar layout would be cheaper. Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#76 Feb 15 2011 at 11:26 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I went with the 360 controller because I only saw the 360 controller or the PS3 controller for sale at the EBgames... and I didn't feel like bussing for an hour to Future Shop or w/e
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#77 Feb 15 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
Trying my 4 wireless and one of my old wired controllers to test out your dead zone problem.
Every single of of my controllers worked perfectly. When I say perfectly, I mean there wasn't a single moment where the controller didn't fall back to dead center.
I find it very odd, and impossible for all 9 of your controllers to perform this way. It's just illogical.
So, looking deeper, I have discovered within windows controller configs you can calibrate your controller. In doing so, I config'd a controller to be off center. I was then able to reproduce your problem every time. Going back in to windows, recalibrate'd and it works with no problems again.

Hope this helps.


Recalibrated in Windows? When I open the 360 controller under the startup menu (or browse to find it) there is not an option to calibrate deadzones. How are you doing this?

I have tried this for both the wireless and wired versions.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:47pm by RufuSwho
#78 Feb 15 2011 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
I have a 360 controller and a wireless adapter, so I'm well aware how it all works with pc. All I meant to say was that between the wireless receiver and the wired connector to keep it turned on...


For the record, you have to have the Plug'n'charge kit plugged in (wired) in order for the wireless 360 controller to stay active, is that correct?

Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.


The settings for remapping a wireless Logitech Rumble Pad 2 do not save properly for all games. There is a setting to calibrate joystick axis(es), but this does not translate into a game that has an auto-configure 360 setting (Such as DC Universe). The game's settings override the Logitech software settings.



Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:50pm by RufuSwho
#79 Feb 15 2011 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
57 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.


Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible to remap the Logitech keys without using Logitech's own drivers/software. Which is technically, 3rd party to Windows controller drivers. No different then using Pinnacle or Xpadder for a 360 controller.
#80 Feb 15 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
I have a 360 controller and a wireless adapter, so I'm well aware how it all works with pc. All I meant to say was that between the wireless receiver and the wired connector to keep it turned on...


For the record, you have to have the Plug'n'charge kit plugged in (wired) in order for the wireless 360 controller to stay active, is that correct?

Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.


The settings for remapping a wireless Logitech Rumble Pad 2 do not save properly for all games. There is a setting to calibrate joystick axis(es), but this does not translate into a game that has an auto-configure 360 setting (Such as DC Universe). The game's settings override the Logitech software settings.



Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:50pm by RufuSwho

That sucks, sounds like Sony needs to fix their game lol, can't say I've ever had that problem with another game. I've been using logitech pc controllers since the days of the 386.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#81 Feb 15 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
RufuSwho wrote:


Recalibrated in Windows? When I open the 360 controller under the startup menu (or browse to find it) there is not an option to calibrate deadzones. How are you doing this?

I have tried this for both the wireless and wired versions.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:47pm by RufuSwho


Use the Control Panel.
Here is a youtube video showing you exactly how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6E2GNvprXw
#82 Feb 15 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.

Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible to remap the Logitech keys without using Logitech's own drivers/software. Which is technically, 3rd party to Windows controller drivers. No different then using Pinnacle or Xpadder for a 360 controller.
Logitech's own drivers are not 3rd party, since Logitech developed them they would be '1st party'. Third party drivers would be ones developed by a person or group that doesn't have a steak in the the development of the device for which they are intended to work.


Edited, Feb 15th 2011 1:03pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#83 Feb 15 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.


Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible to remap the Logitech keys without using Logitech's own drivers/software. Which is technically, 3rd party to Windows controller drivers. No different then using Pinnacle or Xpadder for a 360 controller.


This may be true. I simply use the FFXIV config to setup my Logitech controller. The games settings override Logitech software settings.

I do not suggest using Xpadder for FFXIV. There is already a janky lag effect when using CNTL and ALT macro commands with a controller in FFXIV. Pressing the wrong combination will get you lost in menu limbo. Xpadder has an ever slight delay of it's own when mapping buttons and the combination of the two can actually cause the "FFXIV is not working" crash to desktop. I used this for Champions Online, but uninstalled afterwords.

Is anyone at all succesfully using Xpadder as a 3rd party button mapper for FFXIV?

That is really beside the point as third party button mapping is not necessary for FFXIV with any of the controllers we are discussing.
#84 Feb 15 2011 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Anyway, when I was playing this game on a controller, I just plugged in my logitech controller and it worked. No 3rd party mapping software required only FFXIV config.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#85 Feb 15 2011 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
RufuSwho wrote:


Recalibrated in Windows? When I open the 360 controller under the startup menu (or browse to find it) there is not an option to calibrate deadzones. How are you doing this?

I have tried this for both the wireless and wired versions.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 12:47pm by RufuSwho


Use the Control Panel.
Here is a youtube video showing you exactly how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6E2GNvprXw


My work blocks youtube but I will check this out when I get home. Thanks.

Now if only the wireless 360 controller would actually be wireless and not forget what it's doing. A wired fix for a wireless controller is shenanigans!
#86 Feb 15 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.

Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible to remap the Logitech keys without using Logitech's own drivers/software. Which is technically, 3rd party to Windows controller drivers. No different then using Pinnacle or Xpadder for a 360 controller.
Logitech's own drivers are not 3rd party, since Logitech developed them they would be '1st party'.


Please read my whole post. I clearly stated, it is 3rd party in relation to Windows. In a previous post, you had mentioned concern in why one should even bother using a 360 controller and going through trouble in order to getting it to work.
Which is far from the truth. Like I said, using a 360 controller is completely plug and play. No setup, no additional software, no additional drivers needed as it's a Microsoft product and is fully supported in current Windows versions.
Using a 3rd party device, such as Logitech controller, is more work as it requires you to install and use 3rd party software in order or it to work properly in Windows. Again, 3rd party to Windows and it is no different then using Xpadder or Pinnical as a 3rd party profiler in order to get remapping capabilities.
#87 Feb 15 2011 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
Anyway, when I was playing this game on a controller, I just plugged in my logitech controller and it worked. No 3rd party mapping software required only FFXIV config.


I second this!

The extra buttons on the Logitect Rumble Pad 2 are my only concern. I am trying to think of a way to remove them or super-glue them so they don't function. I don't want a vibration toggle where the start button goes! And I don't want to toggle my d-pad/joystick ever. This function is included I think for flight sims, a tiny fraction of the market. Bah.
#88 Feb 15 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Also, Logitech controllers are all re-mappable without the need for 3rd party software.

Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible to remap the Logitech keys without using Logitech's own drivers/software. Which is technically, 3rd party to Windows controller drivers. No different then using Pinnacle or Xpadder for a 360 controller.
Logitech's own drivers are not 3rd party, since Logitech developed them they would be '1st party'.


Please read my whole post. I clearly stated, it is 3rd party in relation to Windows. In a previous post, you had mentioned concern in why one should even bother using a 360 controller and going through trouble in order to getting it to work.
Which is far from the truth. Like I said, using a 360 controller is completely plug and play. No setup, no additional software, no additional drivers needed as it's a Microsoft product and is fully supported in current Windows versions.
Using a 3rd party device, such as Logitech controller, is more work as it requires you to install and use 3rd party software in order or it to work properly in Windows. Again, 3rd party to Windows and it is no different then using Xpadder or Pinnical as a 3rd party profiler in order to get remapping capabilities.


I think you are talking about the 360 wired version. To use the 360 wireless version, you have to buy the extra PC receiver and work-around the problem where the controller turns itself off to save energy when you take a break and requires a restart of FFXIV before it will read again.

The fix is to wire it to your PC using the Plug'n'Charge kit. Which is really no fix at all.


Edited, Feb 15th 2011 1:17pm by RufuSwho
#89 Feb 15 2011 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
RufuSwho wrote:


My work blocks youtube but I will check this out when I get home. Thanks.

Now if only the wireless 360 controller would actually be wireless and not forget what it's doing. A wired fix for a wireless controller is shenanigans!


You're welcome. It's as easy as this
Start>Control Panel>Game Controllers > Properties >Calibrate and then love the sticks around etc.

PS: What version of windows do you use? I'm on Win764bit and use a wireless controller and do not have this problem. I'll go AFK for 20 mins, come back for a behest, turn controller on and it only takes 5 seconds or so till I regain control of my character. I have had it not detect before, it's an oddity, maybe has happened 3 times in 4 months, but all I do is hit the sync button on the receiver and in 10 secs, it's good to go, without having to reboot the game.
I do play in windowed mode though, and have the options set in order to "keep controller controlling game"(can't remember exact setting name) while the game is not the main focus. I can surf the web on my second monitor and still use the controller to make my character run from one camp to another while still using the mouse on the other monitor. This may make a difference from running the game in full screen.
#90 Feb 15 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
Anyway, when I was playing this game on a controller, I just plugged in my logitech controller and it worked. No 3rd party mapping software required only FFXIV config.


Yes I agree, this works using the default Windows game controller drivers without using or installing 3rd party software. This is the same as using say, a n52te or a razor naga. You can plug and play using the default Windows drivers. However, there is no customization and each of these devices come with their own software drivers provided by the company and it is highly suggested that they are used in order for that device to be fully supported. Otherwise you just have the basics.
In order to be able to remap buttons, like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread in which I explained how to remap the F8 key to any of the controller buttons, so you can target much easier. The use of 3rd party software is needed. Such as Logitech's, Razors etc propitiatory software or the use of Xpadder or Pinnacle etc. Other wise, you have just the basic controls.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 1:26pm by jedipimp
#91 Feb 15 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
RufuSwho wrote:


My work blocks youtube but I will check this out when I get home. Thanks.

Now if only the wireless 360 controller would actually be wireless and not forget what it's doing. A wired fix for a wireless controller is shenanigans!


You're welcome. It's as easy as this
Start>Control Panel>Game Controllers > Properties >Calibrate and then love the sticks around etc.

PS: What version of windows do you use? I'm on Win764bit and use a wireless controller and do not have this problem. I'll go AFK for 20 mins, come back for a behest, turn controller on and it only takes 5 seconds or so till I regain control of my character. I have had it not detect before, it's an oddity, maybe has happened 3 times in 4 months, but all I do is hit the sync button on the receiver and in 10 secs, it's good to go, without having to reboot the game.
I do play in windowed mode though, and have the options set in order to "keep controller controlling game"(can't remember exact setting name) while the game is not the main focus. I can surf the web on my second monitor and still use the controller to make my character run from one camp to another while still using the mouse on the other monitor. This may make a difference from running the game in full screen.


Yes, Windows 7 64 bit.

Do you use the third party windower? or just windowed mode in FFXIV config?

Also, you use the wireless PC reciever?

I like to use Full Screen. I can't see how that would effect the controller re-synching though. I have never had the controller re-synch after turning off in FFXIV. Maybe there was a cahnge to this. The option to "keep controller controlling game" may have something to do with that. Worth checking out.

I would prefer to have the same setup you have. With a second monitor and a wireless 360 controller that re-synchs.

I could not figure out how to have my main screen of FFXIV stay Full creen and still have a second monitor.

#92 Feb 15 2011 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Anyway, when I was playing this game on a controller, I just plugged in my logitech controller and it worked. No 3rd party mapping software required only FFXIV config.


Yes I agree, this works using the default Windows game controller drivers without using or installing 3rd party software. This is the same as using say, a n52te or a razor naga. You can plug and play using the default Windows drivers. However, there is no customization and each of these devices come with their own software drivers provided by the company and it is highly suggested that they are used in order for that device to be fully supported. Otherwise you just have the basics.
In order to be able to remap buttons, like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread in which I explained how to remap the F8 key to any of the controller buttons, so you can target much easier. The use of 3rd party software is needed. Such as Logitech's, Razors etc propitiatory software or the use of Xpadder or Pinnacle etc. Other wise, you have just the basic controls.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 1:26pm by jedipimp


Which program do you use to set F8? I am not a fan of Xpadder for FFXIV. Maybe I try setting this up in Logitech config screen. I had thought that FFXIVconfig overwrote these settings anyway.
#93 Feb 15 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
RufuSwho wrote:

Yes, Windows 7 64 bit.

Do you use the third party windower? or just windowed mode in FFXIV config?

Also, you use the wireless PC reciever?

I like to use Full Screen. I can't see how that would effect the controller re-synching though. I have never had the controller re-synch after turning off in FFXIV. Maybe there was a cahnge to this. The option to "keep controller controlling game" may have something to do with that. Worth checking out.

I would prefer to have the same setup you have. With a second monitor and a wireless 360 controller that re-synchs.

I could not figure out how to have my main screen of FFXIV stay Full creen and still have a second monitor.



No third party Windower, however, I do use a script. I set the game to run in window mode. As with any machine, you then get the windows bar and it doesn't fill the whole screen. I then made a script, so all I do is hit ctrl+shift+A and it opens my game window using the whole screen eliminating the Windows bar. It looks identical to running the game in fullscreen mode

Yes, I use the this http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/

As you may or may not know, but SE locks their games process up tight.
I believe in this case, once the controller's battery saving feature kicks in and turns off, Windows game controller closes. Then once you turn it back on, Windows still recognizes it and it's good to go, but FFXIV is not allowing the new process to access the game? I'm only talking out of general knowledge of how these things work as I have not had this problem, but I could test it quite easily buy running full screen and turning off the "controlling the game outside of the game setting " or w/e the **** it's called.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 1:46pm by jedipimp
#94 Feb 15 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
RufuSwho wrote:

Which program do you use to set F8? I am not a fan of Xpadder for FFXIV. Maybe I try setting this up in Logitech config screen. I had thought that FFXIVconfig overwrote these settings anyway.


I use Xpadder's profiler. After using xpadder, the controller believes that it's Left Bumper button is actually the F8 key on my keyboard. I have the Left Bumper button unbound inside the FFXIV controller config. If you do not like Xpadder, there are a handful of other game controller profile applications out there. Pinnacle Game Profiler is another popular one.
#95 Feb 15 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
jedipimp wrote:
I do use a script.

This is a bit above my skill level I'm afraid. Sounds cool how you have it working though. That would be ideal.

jedipimp wrote:

As you may or may not know, but SE locks their games process up tight.
I believe in this case, once the controller's battery saving feature kicks in and turns off, Windows game controller closes. Then once you turn it back on, Windows still recognizes it and it's good to go, but FFXIV is not allowing the new process to access the game? I'm only talking out of general knowledge of how these things work as I have not had this problem, but I could test it quite easily buy running full screen and turning off the "controlling the game outside of the game setting " or w/e the **** it's called.


The bold part is exactly what I'm thinking. Could you try that and let me know? I would have to re-buy the wirelesss receiver to see if that works.

Thanks for the other tip about the deadzone config. I'll be trying that on my wired 360 controller tonight to see if it fixes the random (Run Away!) problem.
#96 Feb 15 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
parkerjones wrote:

ok - maybe i got a little excited when i mentioned jumping!! :) it's just that i was blown away how much of a difference it made to the game... i forgot to mention auto-run!


Key board has auto-run too. I hit R.

~_-
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#97 Feb 15 2011 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
The fix is to wire it to your PC using the Plug'n'Charge kit. Which is really no fix at all.


If I connect and install my Rumblepad 2 in addition to my Xbox 360 controller I don't have issue with the Xbox 360 Wireless controller not being recognized on wakeup. For some reason, having the Logitech software installed, and the Logitech Rumblepad 2 RF receiver connected allows my Xbox 360 controller to reconnect when I push the Microsoft button on the gamepad. Not a great solution for most...but if you already own both it sure works great!

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 2:15pm by NayliaMR
____________________________

#98 Feb 15 2011 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
jedipimp wrote:
LProof777 wrote:
Now if only I can configure my ps3 controller. I find the XBox controller to be one of the worst controls of any system I ever played(minus that jaguar controller from the late nineties....yuck). The D-pad is terrible to navigate menus and hotbars with, especially in a situation that calls for lots of action. Just a personal opinion, not attacking those who like the controller


I'm a little confused. Would you not have to navigate the menus and hotbars with the PS3 controller just the same?


Yes, I just find the ps3 D-pad to be way better than the 360 D-pad. There are many occasions when I hit left or right and it goes up or down instead, or vice versa. Perhaps I'm just poor at using it, but other people have told me they hate it as well. I also do not feel it as comfortable in my hand. Most likely because I spent far more time playing with PS controllers
____________________________
"Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer, but only after digesting it in small portions over a long period of time" -G. Carlin-
#99 Feb 15 2011 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
There's a new improved XBox 360 wireless controller that pretty much just has a better D-pad.
____________________________

#100 Feb 15 2011 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
too bad that new and improved one doesn't come wireless ; ;


I've been trying to use my Afterglow 360 controller, but it's having calibration issues that Windows can't seem to fix. I think its because the controller is physically calibrated incorrectly, but who knows. I have a wired xbox controller coming in the mail, so I'm excited. I'll probably trade in the Afterglow at gamestop toward a chatpad.
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#101 Feb 15 2011 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
57 posts
levelxplane wrote:
too bad that new and improved one doesn't come wireless ; ;
.


It only comes wireless, you can not currently buy a wired one.
Here is the new controller.
http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/31/new-xbox-360-wireless-controller-featuring-a-transforming-d-pad.aspx
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)