Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

AH (Can I have it?)Follow

#1 Sep 05 2010 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
16 posts
After searching around on the net I find that not only is there no AH in beta (expected), but there is no plans to implement them into the final product :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get they want to tone down RMT but honestly from playing 11, every jab they took at the RMT they pushed back and did just as well as they did before. DEAR GOD I JUST WANT AN AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /vent

On another note, hey guys! :)
#2 Sep 05 2010 at 11:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
42 posts
I'm hearing mixed discussions on this topic, some say it will be implemented and others say the opposite. I'm one that's hoping it will be implemented but haven't seen any official notice.
#3 Sep 05 2010 at 11:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
Sorry you do not pass go, you do not get an Auction House. You get the zombie Retainer house of Doom and a free sucker.
____________________________
BANNED

#4 Sep 05 2010 at 11:33 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
IF they have a solution to RMT you would rather ***** that and get AH back? personally, RMT almost ruined FFXI, so if they think they have a way to limit them/stop them, i'm all for trying. The system they have in place now isn't as efficient and I loved the AH in XI but with some tweaking this could work and P.S. its been done before in Ragnarok online and that game was quite successful. Also, SE said they're waiting 'til after launch to see what kind of things people want/need and they'll implement it in steps and I'm sure they said an AH is coming just not at launch...I don't know how they plan to do this but i know their reason is RMT prevention and i'm willing to give that a try...i hope it doesn't hinder everyone else' progress in the process though.
____________________________
MUTED
#5 Sep 05 2010 at 11:33 PM Rating: Excellent
16 posts
I really hope it's implemented too...i can't imagine not having an AH. Every MMO has had one and it works good there. I just can't see it work without it.
#6 Sep 05 2010 at 11:34 PM Rating: Excellent
*
158 posts
they'll add AHes eventually. No MMO economy can function without a central area of commerce/exchange. I doubt "rolanberry fields" bazaars can viably take the place of a functioning auction house.

#7 Sep 05 2010 at 11:34 PM Rating: Excellent
*
172 posts
they said it might be in the future, but not at release. I to think this retainer system sux. no real search function and takes way to long to check each person/npc.
____________________________
Carpe Diem
#8 Sep 05 2010 at 11:37 PM Rating: Excellent
16 posts
Another concern I have though, remember when people asked for stuff in XI and how long it took for SE to deliver....could be a while before we have AH Awesomeness...I'll take RMT with an AH anyday....cause I know they are going to be there no matter what.
#9 Sep 05 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Good
**
254 posts
I dont care about an AH, but if you think about it...If they implemented a way to search all retainers for specific items, and the search engine just told you which market they were in, that wouldnt be all that bad really.

It would really prevent RMT AH bots from attempting to control the market. Which in my opinion is probably where RMT's make the most money. They buy low and sell high 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Also controlling the cost of stuff, inflating desireable items to prices nobody could normally afford.

I like the retainer idea as long as they implement a search engine. I wont mind hoping to a different market to buy something, I just dont want to search through 500 retainers to find what im looking for.
#10 Sep 05 2010 at 11:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
The way Retainers work now are sucktactular. Checking one-by-one takes far too much time. They definitely need some sort of search function or way better organization, especially with all the free market space they have. They can easily categorize retainers into item/armor/weapon categories.
____________________________

#11 Sep 05 2010 at 11:40 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
RazzielBarberis wrote:
I really hope it's implemented too...i can't imagine not having an AH. Every MMO has had one and it works good there. I just can't see it work without it.
What's sad is that SE seems to be taking all of the ideas that "good" MMOs all use, and throw them in the garbage. Not having AHs makes me think of this video, but with SE testing the limits of what FF fans will play.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#12 Sep 05 2010 at 11:41 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
As far as immersion & realism goes, there shouldn't be a magical AH. Of course we're talking about a fantasy game full of magic so think what you will about that. Some are only concerned with realism if it hurts/benefits their gameplay, but I figured I'd toss it in there.

I think it's interesting that, like earlier today, I may get burned by being impatient. Buying that new piece of gear just to find it in another bazaar a few minutes later for 10k less. And then a few hours later I found a better one to replace that one anyway. Other times the opposite may happen where I find a killer deal because retainerA in Ul'dah has no idea retainers B,C,D, & E in Gridania are often selling that item for 20k more. Things will be there for the impatient and better deals may be found by those who take the time to shop around. Just like real life...

And like all the threads on these subjects, I'll add that if new systems can ***** over RMT, I'll accept them even if it inconveniences me.
____________________________

#13 Sep 05 2010 at 11:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
The Retainer function is COOL.

If only they actually sort out the items they are selling! Like maybe, Armour ward, Weapon ward, Woodworking ward, etc.

Now its like enter a market ward and see a billion retainers and god knows what they are selling.
____________________________


#14 Sep 05 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
If only they actually sort out the items they are selling! Like maybe, Armour ward, Weapon ward, Woodworking ward, etc.


Good ******' idea man. I'm with this.
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#15 Sep 05 2010 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
16 posts
I agree, not to get off subject but a lot of the simple commands are either not there this time around or harder to preform. I understand its beta and whatnot...but to me there is just a lot more negatives than I want to see. I played XI from day one to almost the start of XIV beta and I know it wont be like XI right away but certain things should have been easy to add over. Just to name a few, the search function is horrible, not being able to ctrl+r to reply without first opening chat bar, and of course NO AH! Again hopefully most are fixed on launch or shortly after launch but without knowing its mind numbing!
#16 Sep 05 2010 at 11:46 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
As far as immersion & realism goes, there shouldn't be a magical AH. Of course we're talking about a fantasy game full of magic so think what you will about that. Some are only concerned with realism if it hurts/benefits their gameplay, but I figured I'd toss it in there.

I think it's interesting that, like earlier today, I may get burned by being impatient. Buying that new piece of gear just to find it in another bazaar a few minutes later for 10k less. And then a few hours later I found a better one to replace that one anyway. Other times the opposite may happen where I find a killer deal because retainerA in Ul'dah has no idea retainers B,C,D, & E in Gridania are often selling that item for 20k more. Things will be there for the impatient and better deals may be found by those who take the time to shop around. Just like real life...

And like all the threads on these subjects, I'll add that if new systems can ***** over RMT, I'll accept them even if it inconveniences me.

This. This, this, this.
____________________________

#17 Sep 05 2010 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
If I wanted realism I'd stick to real life...just saying.
#18 Sep 05 2010 at 11:48 PM Rating: Good
*
196 posts
When I originally thought retainers, I thought they were going to do the buying and selling for me. They have the selling down, but no one is buying. I kinda want to tell my retainer to keep an eye out for an item and that I'm willing to pay between x and y amounts and buy said item if available.

And yeah those market places. I arrived at the entrance of one of those earlier today. After seeing like 6 pages with 6 different sections on each page, I just turned around and avoided that place for now.
#19 Sep 05 2010 at 11:51 PM Rating: Good
16 posts
Exactly...takes entirely too long to go through all the bazaar's and merchants to find what you want. Not to mention you will have no knowledge of what something is worth without at least a search item feature. If they add the search to it, it will make it slightly more bearable but still not going to ever replace an AH.
#20 Sep 05 2010 at 11:57 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
If only they actually sort out the items they are selling! Like maybe, Armour ward, Weapon ward, Woodworking ward, etc.


Good @#%^in' idea man. I'm with this.


Or... you know.. you could tell people what your selling.
____________________________

#21 Sep 05 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
169 posts
RazzielBarberis wrote:
Not to mention you will have no knowledge of what something is worth without at least a search item feature.


This specific reason is why the developers, for good or ill, do NOT want to put in an AH immediately. They want the market to figure itself out, not just everyone jumping on the train. Will you pay 80k for a shield? You might if you know the NPCs are selling it for 45k at one shop in one hometown. The next guy might think it's too much, period.

This is EXACTLY what they want to avoid for a while. Now, I happen to sit on the fence regarding the idea, but what you want is exactly against what they're trying to remove.
____________________________
XIV: Misfit Stormrider - Kashuan
XI: Kujata - Razoredge (Long Retired)

A possible retainer idea

#22 Sep 05 2010 at 11:59 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Realism and immersion is nice to a point, but you have to excuse reality sometimes for the sake of entertainment. Star Wars could have made all of the scenes while in space silent to envelop the viewer in realism, but having a third of the movie be completely silent would make it boring.

GUDare wrote:
RazzielBarberis wrote:
Not to mention you will have no knowledge of what something is worth without at least a search item feature.


This specific reason is why the developers, for good or ill, do NOT want to put in an AH immediately. They want the market to figure itself out, not just everyone jumping on the train. Will you pay 80k for a shield? You might if you know the NPCs are selling it for 45k at one shop in one hometown. The next guy might think it's too much, period.

This is EXACTLY what they want to avoid for a while. Now, I happen to sit on the fence regarding the idea, but what you want is exactly against what they're trying to remove.
How are retainers going to make this issue any better? If anything, it'll make it far worse. When the cheapest item anywhere in town (the AH equivalent) is the one that sells, you come to an equilibrium very quickly. If it's complicated and time consuming, people will pay a lot more for something just because they don't know any better. Not only that, but the AH provides a purchase history. Bazaars do not. Look at how EVE handles the issue. They do such a good job of it that people actually make physical economic reports from the data.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 1:05am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#23 Sep 06 2010 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
16 posts
I somewhat get that but there almost wont be a set economy to figure itself out...if there is no way to track it how can you develop it?
#24 Sep 06 2010 at 12:09 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
In real life we have Ebay and Amazon and a host of other auctioning sites...so it would still make sense to have an AH :P or at least a better search function.
#25 Sep 06 2010 at 12:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
308 posts
I hope they do add one because I really liked the XI auction house.
#26 Sep 06 2010 at 12:16 AM Rating: Good
16 posts
Ditto! I'm all for listening to the other side of the argument but I think it would be silly not to have one.
#27 Sep 06 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Look at how EVE handles the issue. They do such a good job of it that people actually make physical economic reports from the data.


I've never payed EVE so i'm curious how do they handle their AH, i've heard they have a good system in place from multiple people already.
____________________________
MUTED
#28 Sep 06 2010 at 12:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
bsphil wrote:
Realism and immersion is nice to a point, but you have to excuse reality sometimes for the sake of entertainment. Star Wars could have made all of the scenes while in space silent to envelop the viewer in realism, but having a third of the movie be completely silent would make it boring.


That's pretty much what I was hinting at in my previous post. When people like a system or something else in the game they may use the "realism & immersion" talk to bolster the argument. If people agree they'll think "yeah that makes total sense." However, if it's a system you don't like, ***** realism & immersion.

We could toss in one of the other common arguments on these forums...."We don't want FFXI being like other games! I don't want a clone, it's a whole new game. I don't want it dumbed down to make it easier for you. If you don't like it, play something else!" Again, only if you agree with the system, if not then ***** anyone who sees the benefits of it because they're stupid. And how dare they tell you to play something else.

I just find it interesting how those same arguments get praised or tossed aside depending on the subject at hand.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying all this to defend the retainer system & market wards as they are now. They could use lots of improvement for sure. In my previous post I was just pointing out that there are benefits that aren't being mentioned. Most of this post however, was a complete derail to discuss posting habits on forums, my bad...Though a lot of it relates to the topic at hand...




Edited, Sep 6th 2010 2:28am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#29 Sep 06 2010 at 12:26 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:
Look at how EVE handles the issue. They do such a good job of it that people actually make physical economic reports from the data.


I've never payed EVE so i'm curious how do they handle their AH, i've heard they have a good system in place from multiple people already.
Essentially, everything you want to sell is aggregated into an intergalactic "market". No matter where you are in the universe, you can price things competitively across galaxies, BUT, you have to actually travel to the physical location it's sold at to pick it up once you made your purchase. Selling items is extremely easy, because you sell to the market by default. If you just want to NPC something, you can click just about anything while in a hangar to sell to the lowest bidder at that station. It happens instantaneously, because you're allowed to register bids for items that aren't available for sale at the moment (common items like ore). Doing it the simple way automatically finds the buyer for you and completes the transaction. EVERY transaction is recorded and compiled into a database for that item, so everything that can be sold will have a history of prices and their standard deviations, selling frequency, etc.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#30 Sep 06 2010 at 12:27 AM Rating: Decent
**
275 posts
There could be somewhat of an AH system while still maintaining the "realism" aspect. For instance, there could be a "market," similar to the market wards, only there is an SE-implemented vendor NPC for each segment of the market (like weapons, armor, food supplies, weaver supplies, etc.), and each one runs like its own separate little Auction House. We (the players) would be considered the suppliers and those NPCs would be our vendors. If we wanted to sell armor, we'd have to go give our wares to the armor vendor (and then pay a small fee like we did for using the AH in FFXI). Something like that. Would still have the function of an auction house, but be a little more realistic in the fact that one little auction house wouldn't magically have everything you could possibly want (but a full market of different vendors specializing in different products might).

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 2:29am by Kaelia88
____________________________

#31 Sep 06 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Decent
**
254 posts
Game doesnt need a AH it just needs a search function to search the retainers. then you have to physically goto that retainer. This is a GENIUS way to prevent RMT AH-BOTS that DESTROY game economies and completely dominate the markets. How can an RMT AH bot if he has to zone to a specific instance to buy what he needs.

In all honesty if there was a search engine, which im sure there will be eventually, this system wouldnt be bad at all. It would actually be kinda cool.

Retainer Search: Haubergeon +1

Results: Sabrina in Market Ward C
Curt in market ward S
Darryl in market ward V


I really wouldnt mind going and searching those 3 retainers to see which is the best price. It really would hinder the RMT's greatly if they kept it the way it is and just added a search function.

Any time RMT's are allowed to stand in 1 spot at an AH, they will thrive. The more you make them have to move the less gil they will make. At the cost of a tad bit of convenience, id glady welcome having no auction house. I HATE RMT's especially in FFXI. They were the worste ever.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 2:30am by Soezu
#32 Sep 06 2010 at 12:29 AM Rating: Good
bsphil wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:
Look at how EVE handles the issue. They do such a good job of it that people actually make physical economic reports from the data.


I've never payed EVE so i'm curious how do they handle their AH, i've heard they have a good system in place from multiple people already.
Essentially, everything you want to sell is aggregated into an intergalactic "market". No matter where you are in the universe, you can price things competitively across galaxies, BUT, you have to actually travel to the physical location it's sold at to pick it up once you made your purchase.



This is how SWG did it as well. I don't see why SE can't just do this.

That, and just blatantly copy EQ2's Guild system while they're at it.
#33 Sep 06 2010 at 12:29 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
421 posts
I have a feeling AH ganna be part of the company system.. Where only company member can use it
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#34 Sep 06 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Excellent
16 posts
No offense but if they can make a bot for the AH they can make a bot for retainers. Programming is programming.
#35 Sep 06 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Teneleven wrote:
GuardianFaith wrote:
Quote:
If only they actually sort out the items they are selling! Like maybe, Armour ward, Weapon ward, Woodworking ward, etc.


Good @#%^in' idea man. I'm with this.


Or... you know.. you could tell people what your selling.


Like...WoW's trade chat?
WTS 497 ICE SHARDS! 32gil ea! PST
30-40 times a minute in general chat? Over and over? Per seller??
oh..em...gee..

The segregated wards is a good idea, the retainers themselves are a good idea, but flawed.
An AH is necessary.


____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#36 Sep 06 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
If people agree they'll think "yeah that makes total sense." However, if it's a system you don't like, ***** realism & immersion.
Exactly. Immersion is nice, but if it makes for boring/bad/aggravating gameplay, why would you want to include it? Corners are cut on realism to allow you to still have fun. Reality is dull and boring, that's why you're playing a game to get away from it.

If they really wanted to hammer down on realism, your character would need to use bathrooms on a regular basis or find bushes to take a dump in when you're out on the field. Not playing for an extended period of time would cause your character to become malnourished and would result in a severe stat decrease. But to keep things really immerse and realistic, get rid of stats completely (make them hidden). No damage numbers, no health meters, no mathematical way to determine whether one weapon is better or worse than another. Now that's realism.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 1:33am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#37 Sep 06 2010 at 12:32 AM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
Soezu wrote:
Game doesnt need a AH it just needs a search function to search the retainers. then you have to physically goto that retainer. This is a GENIUS way to prevent RMT AH-BOTS that DESTROY game economies and completely dominate the markets. How can an RMT AH bot if he has to zone to a specific instance to buy what he needs.

In all honesty if there was a search engine, which im sure there will be eventually, this system wouldnt be bad at all. It would actually be kinda cool.

Retainer Search: Haubergeon +1

Results: Sabrina in Market Ward C
Curt in market ward S
Darryl in market ward V


I really wouldnt mind going and searching those 3 retainers to see which is the best price. It really would hinder the RMT's greatly if they kept it the way it is and just added a search function.


I like this, a search system that doesn't magically do everything for you, but points you in the right direction. Still hurting RMT and a huge improvement over the current method. It can include what Kaelia88 mentioned with certain NPC vendors who basically have lists of retainer items. Realism & immersion maintained + much easier to use = win.
____________________________

#38 Sep 06 2010 at 12:33 AM Rating: Default
**
254 posts
LOL a bot that searches a name, finds out which NPC has the item in which ward, zones into the right ward, and approaches the right NPC to manually buy something. That would be quite the bot right there. A ground breaking bot I might add.

Even if they did make bots, they STILL wouldnt make NEARLY as much money as if they just stood in 1 spot. Think about it...

Also keep in mind the search engine wouldnt tell you prices, you'd have to find that out yourself. So the bot would have to switch instance like 2-3 times just to see the price differences. And considering AH-BOTS make their money from nickel and diming very common items such as potions and food, you wouldnt see ANY bots being used if the system worked like this.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 2:35am by Soezu
#39 Sep 06 2010 at 12:36 AM Rating: Excellent
16 posts
Didn't say it would be faster but anytime they are making money afk its still adding to the RMT. People need to accept the fact its a money making business and its here to stay. To stop rmt is to stop trading at all. Anything you get, including money is yours and yours only. Even then RMT would still sell powerleveling and characters. So why make your own gaming experience harder to make theirs if they are still going to remain?
#40 Sep 06 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Good
16 posts
If gil is harder to get for them, it will only jack the prices of gil up and people will still spend it if they have it, and there will always be people that have enough money that don't want to work for their achievements.
#41 Sep 06 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
254 posts
One of the main problems in FFXI was RMTs controlling the market. It was RMT's controlling rare drops by hacking to ensure they get that Serket Ring. If you take away RMT control, sure they will always be there, but they wont be game breaking like they were in FFXI. If any system implemented costs me a slight bit of convenience yet greatly MINIMIZES RMT activity Id be all for it.
#42 Sep 06 2010 at 12:44 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
It happens instantaneously, because you're allowed to register bids for items that aren't available for sale at the moment (common items like ore).


Thanks for explanation I like it, I didn't play EVE long enough to experience that first hand but it sounds like a good system. So in essence what EVE online has is what FFXIV has but with a search feature lol...apart from bidding on things that aren't for sale yet, which i think would be awesome tbh. I'm hoping they tweak the market system in FFXIV before launch, the potential is there however, i think we're still going to see some changes/additions leading up to retail.
____________________________
MUTED
#43 Sep 06 2010 at 12:59 AM Rating: Good
16 posts
So why make our gaming a little less convenient to RMT camping AH. SE should build a seek and destroy bot to find these people that do nothing but spam AH...pretty obvious when its the same person standing there and they never do anything else?
#44 Sep 06 2010 at 1:05 AM Rating: Default
**
254 posts
SE cant just go banning people because you think it's "obvious". Like any other mmo, they will tell you they need solid proof.

So basically you're saying let the RMT run rampant, who cares? Let me ask, do you buy gil? lol. I cant think of any other reason someone would be against SE trying to hinder the RMT's operations.
#45 Sep 06 2010 at 1:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
So why make our gaming a little less convenient to RMT camping AH. SE should build a seek and destroy bot to find these people that do nothing but spam AH...pretty obvious when its the same person standing there and they never do anything else?


Because believe it or not there are people who do this too..i can see this especially happening a lot in FFXIV if someone chooses to be a crafter he may be scurrying through an AH constantly all day every day to see what deals he can run across - so they can't just randomly ban people because they will always ban someone innocent and tbh it would suck if that was me because i chose to play the game a certain way.
____________________________
MUTED
#46 Sep 06 2010 at 1:12 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
421 posts
The more I think about Company ah the more it make sense..

What the point of companys when we have linkshell?!? And why name it company?!?
I belive a company is ganna be an alliance between linkshell if each company had an ah it would stop RMT at there roots since only company member can used an ah

Member of company A can only used company A ah
Member of company B can only used company B ah
But member of company A can NOT used company B ah

The economy will be super tight and with no RMT access to this ah , it wouldn't stop them 100% but it be sure slow them down by alot
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#47 Sep 06 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Excellent
*
63 posts
Every game has RMT. Not every game punishes their players because RMT exists.

I have never been able to come to terms with how Square Enix treats their players under the banner of preventing RMT. The best you can do is give players the tools they need to ignore spamming sellers, and dedicate a support team that acts much like a police unit. They go through the financial data of the world, look for any oddities, and trace the connections to the source. Were Square Enix in charge of a country, they would ban spoons because a tiny minority use them to freebase cocaine, and **** the normal folks who want to eat soup.

It's a really disdainful attitude on their part, because the problem with RMT was never strictly a function of the AH. An AH doesn't create problems, it only provides an accurate local pricing model for goods being sold. It does however magnify those problems already inherent in a system. Those problems inherent in the system were exploitable NMs with rare drops, exploitable treasure chests with rare drops, and a multitude of other in-game systems that could be gamed by motivated RMTs for profit. FFXI's RMT problem was systematic, a function of a dozen different design decisions, none of which were providing an AH.

Square Enix's explanation of the bazaar system in FFXIV is laughable at best. They want the economy to develop naturally before determining how to proceed? Anyone who has played the game for an hour can tell you how it will develop... Once you take your first trip to the market wards, spend an hour searching every NPC manually, and find nothing, you will resort to shout-spamming your needs or goods. This is quite possibly the exact opposite of a naturally developing economy. It's a black market born out of the failure of the provided economic tools.

I honestly don't know what's worse at this point, that Square Enix is willing to completely hamstring players in defense of some amorphous RMT threat, or that they're dumb enough to implement such a bazaar system in the first place and think it would be successful or wanted by players.
#48 Sep 06 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
Soezu wrote:
One of the main problems in FFXI was RMTs controlling the market. It was RMT's controlling rare drops by hacking to ensure they get that Serket Ring. If you take away RMT control, sure they will always be there, but they wont be game breaking like they were in FFXI. If any system implemented costs me a slight bit of convenience yet greatly MINIMIZES RMT activity Id be all for it.


Yeah I think this system does a lot to hurt them, especially with controlling the market. Hard to imagine them finding everyone's bazaar and searching every retainer to buy up all of certain items quickly. Then having the monopoly on it to jack up the price. They still may be able to sell some gil to the lazy people, but they can't quickly change the economy to make a lot of other people buy gil. And those lazy people that just bought gil have to then search the market wards & bazaars to find something to spend that gil on. I like that part of it.

It creates more chances to find good deals or sell your items at more than their worth. Also creates the opposite, getting screwed...but ya win some, ya lose some. You get some of that "One man's garbage is another man's treasure" stuff going on when there's no centralized AH to determine the suggested going price. I like that part of it too...

With some improvements to the system it could be really good...
____________________________

#49 Sep 06 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Default
**
254 posts
Quote:
An AH doesn't create problems, it only provides an accurate local pricing model for goods being sold.


This is the biggest crock of sh*t I ever heard lol

AH is the MAIN SOURCE of RMT gil. Not only that it's how RMT CONTROL THE MARKET. RMT are like pharmaceutical companies these days. If they can control the market, they will make MILLIONS. And they will do anything and everything they can to control the market. Auction House is their primary tool for that.

See not only do RMT MAKE gil, RMT also try to prevent everyone else from MAKING gil




Edited, Sep 6th 2010 3:23am by Soezu
#50 Sep 06 2010 at 1:48 AM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
Quote:
AH is the MAIN SOURCE of RMT gil. Not only that it's how RMT CONTROL THE MARKET. RMT are like pharmaceutical companies these days. If they can control the market, they will make MILLIONS. And they will do anything and everything they can to control the market. Auction House is their primary tool for that.

See not only do RMT MAKE gil, RMT also try to prevent everyone else from MAKING gil


That's not a problem with the AH in and of itself though. The AH only shines light on fundamental inconsistencies within the game itself by allowing items to be instantaneously valued. When an Enron-esque stock fraud occurs, the NYSE doesn't shut down and tell everyone to sell their wares out on the street by the hotdog vendors. If unscrupulous individuals are gaming an efficient free market exchange, the solution isn't to shut down the exchange... it's to deal with the unscrupulous individuals.
#51 Sep 06 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Default
**
254 posts
Quote:
That's not a problem with the AH in and of itself though. The AH only shines light on fundamental inconsistencies within the game itself by allowing items to be instantaneously valued. When an Enron-esque stock fraud occurs, the NYSE doesn't shut down and tell everyone to sell their wares out on the street by the hotdog vendors. If unscrupulous individuals are gaming an efficient free market exchange, the solution isn't to shut down the exchange... it's to deal with the unscrupulous individuals.


Who said anything about shutting down? We were discussing a way to make retainers work without having a need for a "auction house". Surely the system right now isnt nearly good enough. But I truelly dont think an auction house is the only option. Sorry for using my imagination.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)