Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

You do Remember this is only Beta?Follow

#1 Sep 06 2010 at 1:20 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
514 posts
NOTE: I did not apply for beta, nor did I try, and with good reason.

1. What to do now?

A) Play a complete game? go outside? Actually explore the gaming mechanics? Send feedback to SE's support page(assuming there is one and that people use it)? Quit thinking Beta is the definition of a game being even close to or over 50% complete?

2. Where are all the weaker mobs?

A) I wonder, have you tried looking for them? Remember what SE stated, Zones will be about the size of the Regions you find in FFXI. So lvl 0-12 mobs or lvl 13-23 mobs will not be seperated by zones. It's been a while so I don't know where to find it, But SE also stated that mob placements are not completely set in stone. Also remembers, the servers are not filled to there max or near max with others players, so why would they fill a "Small" portion of the zone with 30-50(exaggerated) or so mobs for 1 person to kill/train?

3. Why does no one party?

A) Because everyone is too busy looking for weaker mobs?

4. I've run out of things to do, now what?

A) Congratulations! You have completed less than 5% of a game that's not even retail ready! Again, Congratulations!

5. Why is there so much lag? Why are there so many glitches? Why are there so many Errors?

A) Why? Why? Why do people keep forgetting Beta is another definition for "Product Testing?"

6. Why is there no AH?

A) .... It's Beta.... A beta which is pretty much almost over.... Yours armor, All your Gil, stats, everything you have on your character and/or account will be gone. What good will an AH do you at this point until Retail? I'm Sure SE has something planned for release or shortly after.




This is why I avoid playing a game that is in Beta Testing phase. I'm afraid that if I did, I would forget(like many have done) that Beta Testing is not(or no where near close to) a complete game. That all the content I would expect to be there is not there. I will read about, browse YouTube for a glimpse at Gameplay, or the starting zones where I can give birth to my character. However, I refuse to be a beta tester, as if you haven't noticed, the complaints beta testers compile onto forums tend to dilute the flavor of an unreleased games, more-so to those who have no MMO experience or plan to start fresh in a new type of MMO.

Ok, so the System mechanics seem clunky, or there is lag, not with gameplay, but with the mouse or menus. If memory serves me right, SE has a beta feedback forum/email/comment box for just this. Well something used to get info on broken mechanics so they can fix it or improve on it. So why are all the tips/complaints/notification going to places where SE is less likely to look first.

I'm sorry if people take offense or flame me for posting this, but I would like to see more positive posts than negative posts from people who try to do everything when it's most likely not even close to 20% of everything that can, and will be in retail.


Crosses fingers for playable Male Miqote at release that SE keeps us in the dark about... What? I can dream! ;-p

Sorry if this is an inconvenience to anyone. It's 3AM, I'm going to bed! =)

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 3:27am by Demonadrastos

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 3:28am by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#2 Sep 06 2010 at 1:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Quote:

I'm sorry if people take offense or flame me for posting this, but I would like to see more positive posts than negative posts from people who try to do everything when it's most likely not even close to 20% of everything that can, and will be in retail.

Quote:
NOTE: I did not apply for beta


Are you really in a position then to determine whether there should be more positive posts than negative?
#3 Sep 06 2010 at 1:25 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
Are you really in a position then to determine whether there should be more positive posts than negative?


I am, and I agree with him.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#4 Sep 06 2010 at 1:30 AM Rating: Good
**
254 posts
Many of the complaints are very valid. I'm going to love when FFXIV goes live and still has menu lag, crafting lag, unresponsive skills, and mouse lag. The top issues with FFXIV. Aside from those issues the game is great imo. But ima laugh my *** off when retail comes out and they are still issues. All these people saying "ITS JUST BETA BLAH BLAH BLAH" will look like fools.

I've NEVER played an Open Beta where the retail was so drastically improved from what fanboys are implying FFXIV will be on release. And for it to be "improved" the changes will need to be DRASTIC.
#5 Sep 06 2010 at 1:32 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Soezu wrote:
Many of the complaints are very valid. I'm going to love when FFXIV goes live and still has menu lag, crafting lag, unresponsive skills, and mouse lag. The top issues with FFXIV. Aside from those issues the game is great imo. But ima laugh my *** off when retail comes out and they are still issues. All these people saying "ITS JUST BETA BLAH BLAH BLAH" will look like fools.

I've NEVER played an Open Beta where the retail was so drastically improved from what fanboys are implying FFXIV will be on release. And for it to be "improved" the changes will need to be DRASTIC.


I love when people don't know what they're talking about. The UI is server side right now, why the **** would you expect zero-lag?
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#6 Sep 06 2010 at 1:35 AM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
Quote:
I am, and I agree with him.


And that's your opinion, based upon your experience in the beta, which I appreciate. I've read a few of your posts, and while I may not agree with what you're saying, I know that it's coming from someone who has actually played the game. You've experienced what you're commenting on.

What I don't appreciate is someone imagining what beta plays like, and constructing a strawman argument in defense of it.
#7 Sep 06 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Default
*
183 posts
This thread confuses me.

Good day, fine sirs.
#8 Sep 06 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Excellent
I haven't seen any posts from anyone saying they've maxed out their character and have nothing to do. I have seen posts from people saying they can finish their 48 hour allotment of levequests in a few hours tops and then all that's left for them to do is grind. And I've had my own first hand experience saying that at low levels, that grind is not all that entertaining. My gladiator hit a spot around rank 7 where I had a choice between green mobs that could smack me for 1/4-1/3 of my HP and blue mobs that rewarded extremely mediocre xp and weapon skillups. I don't complain about the overcamping because it's not always going to be like that and it's to be expected until the game has been live for a few months and people are spread out over wider areas due to a greater span of class ranks.

I don't have much sympathy for people complaining about bugs/crashes (not that there have been all that many of those). The open beta is a beta test in name only. The devs aren't even accepting feedback from people who registered with open beta keys. They're stress testing servers, not compiling feedback on game systems. There's a huge difference and between that and the limited amount of time SE has to fix the more disconcerting aspects, people have good reason to be concerned.

Just because some people are willing to settle for mediocrity doesn't mean there's something wrong with people who expect more.
#9 Sep 06 2010 at 1:37 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
85 posts
I agree completely. I think there's more good than negative in this game. The only thing I'm against is the Japanese Servers, 280 ping is a joke. Why they can't invest in alternative country servers is shocking.
#10 Sep 06 2010 at 1:41 AM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Not gameplay related but:

I really hope they fix the effect when you run through water because right now it looks worse than FFXI.

The weaponskill effects look pretty cheesy, FFXI did it better.

Go outside Ul'dah and look up at a tree from underneath. If you have MSAA set to higher than 2x the foliage leaves behind weird after images. Those aloe-like plants do this also.


There are polygon cracks visable in the terrain in places. There's no excuse for this in a modern game.


They are rushing this game to market before it is ready. If they launch in two weeks with the game in this condition it's going to be another Vanguard.



Edited, Sep 6th 2010 4:42am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#11 Sep 06 2010 at 1:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
45 posts
Not another "It's just a beta" mantra...

Do you think the Release Unicorn is going to use his magical horn of wishing to suddenly turn this bugfest into something resembling a functional game before September 22?

Betas are for stress testing and the discovery of obscure bugs. Not an overhaul of the entire system. What we're seeing crash-wise and bug-wise should not be in this game at this phase of testing. This is why the "Release needs to be pushed back" thread exists.
#12Lobivopis, Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 1:44 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Personally I like the worldwide servers. It means western players won't be left behind on updates or eventually dumped if the game doesn't do as well as expected outside Japan like what happened with Phantasy Star Universe.
#13 Sep 06 2010 at 1:48 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I have seen posts from people saying they can finish their 48 hour allotment of levequests in a few hours tops and then all that's left for them to do is grind. And I've had my own first hand experience saying that at low levels, that grind is not all that entertaining. My gladiator hit a spot around rank 7 where I had a choice between green mobs that could smack me for 1/4-1/3 of my HP and blue mobs that rewarded extremely mediocre xp and weapon skillups.


This I can agree with. However there are some alternatives. We do have the option of grinding on mobs with other people, which isn't that bad. We also have the option of doing leves with other people, which also isn't bad. I feel like they need to make more intermediate mobs because it does seem like they just jump from really weak to too hard. I'm hoping that they add in some other alternatives or give us more things to do in the downtime.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#14 Sep 06 2010 at 1:56 AM Rating: Decent
In the interest of fairness, I will say that it goes both ways:

In the minds of some, it feels like a game that should be two months away with all its issues, and not two weeks.

In the minds of others, it feels like an endless two weeks, because they've sat down and watched the game blossom over the past two months.


The important thing to notice here, is that it can undoubtedly go either way, but the game has no measuring stick for which side is right. Unfortunately, the medium that is still greatly anticipating the game, while noticing its flaws, seem more like a idealistic group of sheep hoping not to get their wool shaved off and their *** into lambchops (I.E Their time and money wasted.)

But I've become a bit of a naysayer recently...

____________________________

~Drag on Dragoon~


#15 Sep 06 2010 at 2:10 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
514 posts
Refresherize wrote:
Are you really in a position then to determine whether there should be more positive posts than negative?


So you are saying, Just because I'm not in the Beta, I have no right to express my opinion, because that apparently means I know nothing what-so-ever of the game. But your right, bust be because there is NO info about alpha/beta1/ClosedBeta/Open Beta anywhere to be found? Because who would post anything about it when they aren't suppose to or when they can't. Like the 100 or so videos on youtube about just the character creator? Or gameplay videos of alchemy, blacksmithing, even battle footage and people using the party feature. yeah, its they are video, they even show how some features of the game are still clunky in the Beta.

Yeah, I admit I cannot say I have personal experience in the beta. But I can still express my opinion.

Yeah, I'm always hoping for more content come release. ZAM/Allah may be the only forums I post on, but they are far from the only forums I read.

Phanty wrote:
I agree completely. I think there's more good than negative in this game. The only thing I'm against is the Japanese Servers, 280 ping is a joke. Why they can't invest in alternative country servers is shocking.


I agree with this from the videos I've seen. However I'm seeing more negative written down than positive which could suade potential good/new MMOers in the other direction.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 4:19am by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#16 Sep 06 2010 at 2:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Demonadrastos wrote:
Refresherize wrote:
Are you really in a position then to determine whether there should be more positive posts than negative?


So you are saying, Just because I'm not in the Beta, I have no right to express my opinion, because that apparently means I know nothing what-so-ever of the game. But your right, bust be because there is NO info about alpha/beta1/ClosedBeta/Open Beta anywhere to be found? Because who would post anything about it when they aren't suppose to or when they can't. Like the 100 or so videos on youtube about just the character creator? Or gameplay videos of alchemy, blacksmithing, even battle footage and people using the party feature. yeah, its they are video, they even show how some features of the game are still clunky in the Beta.

Yeah, I admit I cannot say I have personal experience in the beta. But I can still express my opinion.

Yeah, I'm always hoping for more content come release. ZAM/Allah may be the only forums I post on, but they are far from the only forums I read.


Considering most of the arguments you were apparently trying to counter are arguments that haven't been made, I think that if you were a part of the previous or current testing your post would have had a little more credibility. The primary #1 issue people are complaining about right now is the UI. If you haven't seen it, you're in no position to be writing it off as something that SE is likely to fix before official service starts.
#17 Sep 06 2010 at 2:16 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
85 posts
One of the main reasons it wouldn't do aswell outside of Japan, even though I have certain belief it would. Is the dedicated Japense servers. It means I'm getting a 2 second lag on everything I cast, when an enemy dies, when an enemy attacks me. It doesn't make me want to stop playing the game in the slightest, but it's by far my biggest put off
#18 Sep 06 2010 at 2:16 AM Rating: Good
11 posts
just wanted to say for the 3 days i have been playing, the first day was a little rough, second day better, and third day i had no lag at all. maybe I am just lucky but seems everyday its a little better. When its released its going to have some small issues, i'm sure like every game does, but it will be fixed like most games.I don't want to sound mean but all the cry babies are going to still buy the game and play it like its the best thing since sliced bread. On a closing note let SE do their thing, and i'm sure they will make this game amazing.
#19 Sep 06 2010 at 2:19 AM Rating: Good
*
183 posts
Quote:
So you are saying, Just because I'm not in the Beta, I have no right to express my opinion, because that apparently means I know nothing what-so-ever of the game. But your right, bust be because there is NO info about alpha/beta1/ClosedBeta/Open Beta anywhere to be found? Because who would post anything about it when they aren't suppose to or when they can't. Like the 100 or so videos on youtube about just the character creator? Or gameplay videos of alchemy, blacksmithing, even battle footage and people using the party feature. yeah, its they are video, they even show how some features of the game are still clunky in the Beta.

Yeah, I admit I cannot say I have personal experience in the beta. But I can still express my opinion.

Yeah, I'm always hoping for more content come release. ZAM/Allah may be the only forums I post on, but they are far from the only forums I read


Your logic is flawed. Are you saying that I can read about Paris, and by reading about Paris, it is the same as visiting Paris?

How about a movie review. I can read all the movie reviews on the internet, but by doing so, this does not give me the right to express my own opinion about the movie because I do not have sufficient knowledge of what I am reviewing. It is not fair to the movie or the reader if I lie about having sufficient knowledge to do so.

To further the movie metaphor, are you stating I can do a proper review of a movie by watching previews on youtube?

I can go on, but my point is, you have none.
#20 Sep 06 2010 at 2:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
494 posts
here is the thing though.
betas are meant to -test- things
if things aren't being tested they are likely to have problems
Saying "there will be more when the game comes out" is pretty well saying there will be more problems, since they aren't testing the new things and getting rid of the problems.

Also with all the -current- problems (and there seem to be a lot), I would find it very unlikely that the programmers will be able to fix/add/redesign certain aspects within 2 weeks time. They are probably busy enough as it is just managing to keep the servers stable.

People need to stop using 'this is a beta' as an excuse for a vast array of issues.
The fact is every board on every website is packed full of negative comments. Sure all games get them, but rarely to this extent. Thats a serious marketing issue for SE. No one wants their game constantly bashed 2 weeks prior to launch, especially on sites with heavy traffic like gamefaqs.

tldr;
Beta = test phase
if there are problems with things being tested
there will be MORE problems with things not being tested
negative publicity = less NA playing game
less people = server merges
server merges = suck
#21 Sep 06 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
Quote:
So you are saying, Just because I'm not in the Beta, I have no right to express my opinion, because that apparently means I know nothing what-so-ever of the game.


That's not at all what I'm saying.

I asked you whether or not you were in a position to judge whether or not there should be more positive or negative posts about a game you haven't played. What is your opinion about how the game starts you out in the world? Do you feel there should be more guidance for a newbie, or is there too much already? Were you engaged from the start in each of the three cities? How responsive do you find the game using both a keyboard and a controller? What did you think upon your first experience with a market ward? Could you figure out what to do once the initial storyline quests were over? Could the menus be streamlined in any way? Did you find it difficult to add your first new skill to the action bar?

Can you provide me responses to these sorts of questions from watching YouTube videos?

Before you dismiss out of hand the opinions of people who play the game, you might want to play it yourself.

#22 Sep 06 2010 at 2:35 AM Rating: Good
**
254 posts
Quote:
I love when people don't know what they're talking about. The UI is server side right now, why the **** would you expect zero-lag?


Yeah well the "server side" UI is rendering half the game unplayable for many MANY people. I dont think anyone in expecting zero lag. However I dont expect to spend 5 minutes selling junk loot to a vendor. Or spending 5 minutes buying 10 stacks of arrows. Meanwhile getting a 40+ FPS in full out combat in a group (which is awesome). It's beyond just being a little "lag".

Anyway, that's not even the point. The point is, I cant wait to see all the fanboys eat their words when the game launches in the same state as OBT with the only difference being more content.

Prove me wrong SE, prove...me...wrong.

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 4:36am by Soezu
#23 Sep 06 2010 at 2:49 AM Rating: Good
**
415 posts
Demonadrastos wrote:
[i]NOTE: I did not apply for beta,


Stopped reading there.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#24 Sep 06 2010 at 4:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Not gameplay related but:

I really hope they fix the effect when you run through water because right now it looks worse than FFXI.

The weaponskill effects look pretty cheesy, FFXI did it better.

Go outside Ul'dah and look up at a tree from underneath. If you have MSAA set to higher than 2x the foliage leaves behind weird after images. Those aloe-like plants do this also.


There are polygon cracks visable in the terrain in places. There's no excuse for this in a modern game.


They are rushing this game to market before it is ready. If they launch in two weeks with the game in this condition it's going to be another Vanguard.


Honestly I think they kinda of have to release it no matter what now, since they announced 14 a lot of FFXI players stopped subscribing, mainly from people thinking this was the successor and XI would end. That turned out not to be the case but as always Square handle their subscribers terribly and there was a pretty bad fallout from the lack of communication about the future of the game, FFXI still had a large userbase but they lost a lot of players. They are losing a lot of money compared to before 14 was announced.
____________________________
BANNED
#25 Sep 06 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
you do notice this is going live in a month...if the game is like this for the past few years why would it magically be fixed in a month?
#26 Sep 06 2010 at 9:55 AM Rating: Excellent
*
54 posts
Less than a month. :P

As many already pointed out. SE is NOT going to pull any miracle spells to polish up all those annoyance they have accumulated.
#27 Sep 06 2010 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
*****
12,824 posts
So, they will do all of the following in two weeks?

- Fix guildleves so they don't auto-fail on a disconnect
- Fix a new bug I had today where you are unable to take an action in combat, and just have to keep retrying
- Change crafting to be in the reverse order it is currently
- Change durability to NPC-repaired versus character repaired
- Fix the lag issues plaguing the game
- Change the mouse cursor to hardware controlled
- unnest multiple menus to make for clear, easy controls
- Make a quick menu similar to FFXI so you don't have to paw through the above mentioned nested menu ****
- Make it so that you can stand up via text command or by moving
- Allow you to select a new homepoint
- Correct new bug where the level of mobs is randomly not being displayed
- Correct the bug that prevents you from searching for jobs outside your class
- Add about 20 new commands that are currently missing

Plus about 2 dozen other bugs which I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

I played in the LOTR:O beta. The worst bug in that was quest fails. That was fixed at launch. Everything else were tweaks done for exploits and what not.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#28 Sep 06 2010 at 10:06 AM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
not to include downloader issues.
#29 Sep 06 2010 at 10:08 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,824 posts
Murmur95 wrote:
not to include downloader issues.
Yea, I had actually forgotten for 30 seconds.

Downloader needs a ground-up rewrite.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#30 Sep 06 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Good
*
54 posts
I'd like to think SE will fix some of those listed bugs... but I am pessimistic enough to think that they won't get to all of them at this rate. XD
#31 Sep 06 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Azurymber wrote:

People need to stop using 'this is a beta' as an excuse for a vast array of issues.
The fact is every board on every website is packed full of negative comments. Sure all games get them, but rarely to this extent. Thats a serious marketing issue for SE. No one wants their game constantly bashed 2 weeks prior to launch, especially on sites with heavy traffic like gamefaqs.


I have to wonder what they thought would happen though - I mean they haven't learned a thing from XI, they aren't listening to the major issues, they have implemented systems that already failed YEARS ago for other mmos... I mean what did they expect? I'm really beginning to wonder if they have actually had this in development for 5 years, or if they were just blowing smoke and it's been more like... 1 year. 2 tops. That seems about right for the amount of issues we are seeing for this game - it's a rush job after they realized that they are going to finally hit the programmatical ceiling in XI, and this is the result. AND WHAT'S WORSE - is that the game could be really ******* great if they weren't on a quest to make it as DIFFERENT from XI as possible. Surplus? Just use the Empress band concept - what was wrong with that? Name changes? Seriously, there was no need for that. Subjobs? They even figured a way to force those on us without calling them subjobs. Capital! asses.

So many of us would have just loved a complete overhaul of XI, some new elements, new maps, and new quests. This whole overhaul of the system without making it really different yet somehow making it more cumbersome and confusing... Well I'm just saying they should have expected all the negativity.
#32 Sep 06 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
9 posts
Every time I hear something like this it reminds me of another game. Vanguard: Saga of Hereoes. I remember when NDA was lifted and us beta testers could finally start telling people how god aweful the game was. The response from the fanboys was swift and intense. "It's Only Beta!!" they cried. The fact that there were bare months from release and the number of issues that needed fixing, the amount of unfinished content that needed finishing, didn't phase them at all. They believed in the magical Golden Patch which would make the game playable on release.

Of course, The Golden Patch is a myth, but they wanted to believe so badly.... The amazing thing is, for all the criticism I gave that game before release, and as shoddy a state as it was in at release. I still picked it up a few months later. There was one gem hidden in that midden heap, the Blood Mage class, and once Vanguard was in the discount bin I had no problem picking it up to once again experience that wonderful class's design.

Unfortunately I have yet to find something similarly appealing in FFXIV. I'm going to keep an eye on the game through the rest of beta, but I fully expect the game to be as nigh unplayable at release as it is now. The only problem I think they will absolutely fix by release is the hardware mouse. They already have the code for it in the client and it is just disabled, probably because it hasn't passed internal QA yet. But it is likely going through that internal QA process right now, and so will probably be enabled for release.
#33 Sep 06 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts
7.) Why did you make this thread?

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 9:33am by GuardianFaith
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#34 Sep 06 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
15 posts
The "it's beta" card doesn't work when official release is 2 weeks away. The game will be mostly the same as it is now on day1.

As for your "why would they fill the zone" comment, they don't spawn them manually. The mob spawn density and locations are determined within the game coding and settings itself, they wouldn't alter it just for beta. They Obviously WOULD have the power to spawn more manually if needed, but that is likely the amount we can expect to see.
#35 Sep 06 2010 at 10:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
135 posts
Eugenitor wrote:
Not another "It's just a beta" mantra...

Do you think the Release Unicorn is going to use his magical horn of wishing to suddenly turn this bugfest into something resembling a functional game before September 22?

Betas are for stress testing and the discovery of obscure bugs. Not an overhaul of the entire system. What we're seeing crash-wise and bug-wise should not be in this game at this phase of testing. This is why the "Release needs to be pushed back" thread exists.


Sadly the OP thinks that it will be fixed in 2 weeks. I've played a fair amount of beta's be it a new game or an addon. **** i've even alpha tested games that had less critical issues in gameplay.
#37 Sep 06 2010 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Demonadrastos wrote:

A) .... It's Beta.... A beta which is pretty much almost over.... Yours armor, All your Gil, stats, everything you have on your character and/or account will be gone. What good will an AH do you at this point until Retail? I'm Sure SE has something planned for release or shortly after.


No, they don't. That's already been stated in an interview. They plan to "wait and see" what players need after launch because they're afraid that an auction house will some how mess up the economy. This kind of tinkering and experimentation is precisely why beta tests exist, and they're going to put it off until post launch because... they feel like it, I guess.

Players ought to be able to buy and sell in beta as they will at release, because it's a fundamental part of the game, and it needs a ton of work. Of course all the armor, gil, etc is going away at release, but if the exact same system (or complete lack thereof) comes back at release then the same problems and complaints will exist.

You really have no business expressing an opinion about how bad it really is or isn't if you've not tried it. Get into open beta, get a crafting skill to 20, and tell me how much fun that was. Beta testing is all about playing the game as if it's live, and when the game goes live people are going to want to be able to buy and sell goods in a less than painful manner.
#38 Sep 06 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
62 posts
I think a lot more will be fixed at launch than most are anticipating at this point. It has already been shown that hardware mouse does exist and it's simply a matter of changing the value of a boolean variable to enable it. This is probably the case with a number of the issues.

The reason I feel this way is that we are dealing with SE. They could be fixing most of the problems, or have already fixed them but don't feel that we need to be informed. They have never been great at communicating with the community, but that doesn't mean that they're clueless on game design. I would not be surprised if they have an auction house built and ready to go and it's just a matter of them flipping a switch to enable it. I would think LFG and searching in the markets is in a similar state. As for the little bugs with leves auto-failing on DC and the like, these sound like a matter of adding a few conditionals to the leve logic. The UI being server side may very well be in the same boat. This is SE, and they seem to get special kicks out of being mysterious.

Of course, the case may also be that what you see now is largely what you'll get at launch. It could go either way. We are not privy to their design process.
#39 Sep 06 2010 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
bunsisbuns wrote:
They have never been great at communicating with the community, but that doesn't mean that they're clueless on game design.
No, that would be evidenced by all of the work they've ever done on PC.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#40 Sep 06 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
It is no longer a softare beta. It is hardware stress testing. All [or most] of your software issues, crashes, incompatibilites will still be there at launch.

A month or so after launch, we'll discuss again ;)
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#41 Sep 06 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
seneleron wrote:
It is no longer a softare beta. It is hardware stress testing. All [or most] of your software issues, crashes, incompatibilites will still be there at launch.

A month or so after launch, we'll discuss again ;)


Let me know, I'd love to see the replies by then. (I cancelled FFXIV with regret :( I was really looking forward for this game)

Mm who am I kidding I bet I will lurk these forums since this community is just awesome :D

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 5:48pm by Riathy
#42 Sep 06 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
bsphil wrote:
bunsisbuns wrote:
They have never been great at communicating with the community, but that doesn't mean that they're clueless on game design.
No, that would be evidenced by all of the work they've ever done on PC.


I was thinking more along the lines of this is the company that insisted on putting Vaan into Final Fantasy 12 because their target audience would, ahem, never be able to relate to the positively ancient (i.e. 36-year-old) Basch.

Seriously SE, we don't need our protagonists to be naive or angsty prettyboys or Cloud-with-a-******.
#43 Sep 06 2010 at 4:11 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
BastokFL wrote:
bsphil wrote:
bunsisbuns wrote:
They have never been great at communicating with the community, but that doesn't mean that they're clueless on game design.
No, that would be evidenced by all of the work they've ever done on PC.


I was thinking more along the lines of this is the company that insisted on putting Vaan into Final Fantasy 12 because their target audience would, ahem, never be able to relate to the positively ancient (i.e. 36-year-old) Basch.

Seriously SE, we don't need our protagonists to be naive or angsty prettyboys or Cloud-with-a-******.


I agree with both points this post makes:

1) Why is it that nearly every FF game has most of the cast at 15-21 years old, with one or two "old" characters who are in their low to mid 30s. At most one "ancient" character in his fourties or so comes along every few games.

2) FFXII's main characters were Ashe and Basch, then Balthier and Fran as supporting characters. Vaan and Penelo were just there for the ride. You could have totally deleted every line they had in the game and would probably see little effect if any on the world as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I still loved 12, I just felt like the two "main characters" were ancillary at best in the greater scheme of things.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#44 Sep 06 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
2) FFXII's main character were Ashe and Basch, then was Balthier and Fran the rest as supporting characters. Vaan and Penelo were everyone else was just there for the ride. You could have totally deleted every line they had in the game and would probably see little effect if any on the world as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I still loved 12, I just felt like the two "main characters" everyone but Balthier were ancillary at best in the greater scheme of things.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#45 Sep 06 2010 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
45 posts
Hey, I think Princess Ashe and Captain Basch might have been kind of important. Vaan was just someone for the hikikomoris to relate to, Fran was fap material for the Americans, and Penelo was fap material for the Japanese.
#46 Sep 06 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Good
I did sort of feel that with 12, if they're going to add characters with no depth they could have added a few more to really give that 'pick the characters you like best' feel of games like FF6, which would have been awesome, or just get rid of them and stick with some strong main characters. Basch, Ashe, Balthier.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#47 Sep 06 2010 at 5:09 PM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
I do know it's beta.

But I like many others have a bad taste in theirs mouths from the bull ******* mushrooms they pulled in FFXI.

I will reserve judgment on the game for retail. But the issues people are complaining about are very valid. Keep in mind SE did open this beta for everyone to play. At this stage the gameplay mechanics should be pretty solid as well as the U/I. With the retail at the end of this month most people are going to assume that a majority of what they experience in the OB is going to translate to the retail.

Yes their will be difference and more content but the core mechanics are un-linkley to change that soon.

The issue I bet a lot of people see (especially FFXI players) is we noticed leaps forward in gameplay and world design and quest design. Whats wrong with that? Well at the same time they introduce ideas that are a giant leap backward.

Example: When I'm in a party I should be able to see my PT on the map/mini map right? Well you do but there isn't anything to distinguish them from other players. Also if they're to far forget it.

It's small things like this I feel are very valid because those are core mechanics that their previous game already has.
I hope you're right and I hope my gripes are only rotten grapes. If the retail release is improved on these fronts then I will be blessed with the opportunity to say I was wrong.
#48 Sep 06 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
81 posts
Here's some positive for ya - I was unfamiliar with FF game play and wanted to play the beta just to make sure I still wanted to buy my pre-ordered collectors game - that it was worth paying for - and I am very pleased. I'm learning a whole new way of playing an MMO and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm actually sad that the character I'm playing the most is going to be wiped away, but at least I have had the opportunity to learn the workings of the games so that when I get the actual game, I won't be frustrated and think I wasted my money. I truly love this game - even with the fact that we're only allowed one character unless we want to pay to have more than one. I think for now I can deal with that, even if I think its a bit ridiculous.

So there - I love the game and I can't wait for September 22 to get here!

=D

Edited, Sep 6th 2010 7:26pm by Mimotep
____________________________
Just Play - Have Fun!
#49 Sep 06 2010 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,061 posts
Bsphil hit the nail right on the head when it comes to 12, Balthier was pretty much the only hero character I liked in that entire game.

Quote:
Get into open beta, get a crafting skill to 20, and tell me how much fun that was.


Yea.....I tried armorer. Gave up maybe 10 minutes in due to the laggy *** **** UI. ***** that....at least fishing is tolerable though
#50 Sep 07 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
mogwaimon wrote:

Yea.....I tried armorer. Gave up maybe 10 minutes in due to the laggy *** sh*t UI. ***** that....at least fishing is tolerable though


Yeah same here with cooking, my game freezes every time I made something, even crashed a couple of times just because of that.
Even selecting ingredients is a down right task due this lag. ლ(¯ロ¯ლ)

The thing that I did like is how much XP you actually get from crafting (cooking at least)I got around 1300-1500 XP just by making "sea sand". But the crafting system is still odd for me. I fail sea sand as hard on level 5 cooking as I did on level 1 cooking. Maybe I'm just bad, that could also be an option.



Edited, Sep 7th 2010 6:15pm by Riathy
#51 Sep 07 2010 at 4:30 AM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
BastokFL wrote:
bsphil wrote:
bunsisbuns wrote:
They have never been great at communicating with the community, but that doesn't mean that they're clueless on game design.
No, that would be evidenced by all of the work they've ever done on PC.


I was thinking more along the lines of this is the company that insisted on putting Vaan into Final Fantasy 12 because their target audience would, ahem, never be able to relate to the positively ancient (i.e. 36-year-old) Basch.

Seriously SE, we don't need our protagonists to be naive or angsty prettyboys or Cloud-with-a-******.


They do in Japan though. The japanese 360 version of Nier featured the same post thirtysomthing main character as the western release. People complained about it so they changed the character to a bish in the japanese PS3 version.


Japanese gamers really do prefer androgynous pretty boys as main protagonists in games.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 7:30am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)