Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Open Beta download - the so-maniest postFollow

#1 Sep 06 2010 at 2:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
I believe that we are in day four after the Open Beta was introduced and I still haven't been able to play the thing. I have had the same problems most people had to deal with (obtaining getting a key, installer version check etc) but finally, since september the 2nd, I have made it to a fenomenal 52% (!!) of the version update files download, and God only knows how long it will take to download the other 48%.

I didn't use the Torrent solution because of mixed advice and I decided not to juggle with router ports. My PC and internet connection are more than fine, I can download any file I want - including FFXI updates of course - very quick without having to resort to any kind of special adjustments or alternative software. Downloading FFXIV Open Beta, however, must be the hardest quest the game has to offer cause it costs a lot of electricity and an enormous amount of patience.

Any ideas on this? Thanks :)

#2 Sep 06 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:

I didn't use the Torrent solution because of mixed advice and I decided not to juggle with router ports. My PC and internet connection are more than fine, I can download any file I want - including FFXI updates of course - very quick without having to resort to any kind of special adjustments or alternative software.


See there's your problem, opening a few ports isn't an open invitation to destroy your computer so instead of being paranoid you could've opened a few ports, and use torrent downloader for patches and you'd have been playing this game 4 days ago. What other advice do you want? lol. Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Sep 06 2010 at 2:32 AM Rating: Decent
9 posts
I downloaded the 4.75g patch at 300kbs average using Utorrent and was done and playing within half a day.

Someone is giving you bad advice.
#4 Sep 06 2010 at 2:35 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
If you're halfway completed, it may be faster to just open the ports and continue with the Square Enix downloader.

Otherwise the fastest -- hands down -- option is to use an external bittorrent client. I don't know what sort of mixed advice you heard, but outside clients download the game so much faster than the default. If you're worried about ******** other people out of your uploads, don't worry. The default client automatically stops seeding once you're done, so everybody has to wait for a Square Enix connection to download that last chunk of data. If you run an outside torrent and continue seeding after the file is downloaded, you'd do more good than harm.
#5 Sep 06 2010 at 2:37 AM Rating: Decent
I got the client and all patches in just over 2 hours with Bittorrent. I didn't have to do anything to ports, I didn't have to contravene SE's wishes about downloading from external third parties, and I've continued to use that method for subsequent patches over the last couple of days. When SE gets their updater fixed, I'll happily abandon Bittorrent as my alternative of choice, but until then it's the best solution available.
#6 Sep 06 2010 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
270 posts
I see your point that it shouldnt be down to us to configure router settings or use alternate programmes. SE needs to wake up right?

The one thing that fixed my download speed was disabling the windows firewall, and you may want to disable any others you have too. You dont have to leave it that way, infact I recommend you put it right back after downloading, but its something quick and easy to try.
____________________________
Refreshed ¦ Reborn
Shori Ohrensztein ¦ Ragnarok ¦ ACN
Reebie Baramnesra ¦ Midgardsomr ¦ MRD
#7 Sep 06 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Thanks for the replies. You know what also seems to help?

Complaining. Since my first post I seem to have downloaded almost 5% extra. Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and if not, I might just use a bittorrent client anyway. I still think that any official method (whether it is software, a machine or any other kind of product) a company wants you to use should work just fine though.

Thanks again :)
#8 Sep 06 2010 at 3:01 AM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
Quote:
I might just use a bittorrent client anyway


If you do that, copy over your partially downloaded file from your My Games > FFXIV Beta folder into your partially downloaded torrent folder.
#9 Sep 06 2010 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
15 posts
I went by this after trying for 3 days to download using the worst patching program in the world. It was much much faster and easier this way.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12719-open-beta-download-links-install-instructions/
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)