Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Elemental stats = crystalsFollow

#1 Sep 06 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
So I started in Gridania and was having real trouble getting wind shards/wind crystals. I was soon told that if I reassign a load of points into 'wind' on the characters stats then I'll see a lot more wind crystals drop. He was right! As soon as I reassigned about 20 points into wind I started getting frequent wind shards from mining, it really was instant. So there we go, if anyone has crystal trouble, give it a go.
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#2 Sep 06 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Excellent
I put about 80% of my resist points into water. At level 11 Thaumy, I have a total of 70 water shards. I think what you're experiencing is a coincidence my friend.

Certain mobs are more likely to drop certain crystals than others. If you want wind, try Puks in the Limsa Lominsa area.
#3 Sep 06 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
If its coincidence then it's a big one, had nothing for hours, as soon as I did it I had wind crystals coming out my ***. Perhaps it is a coincidence, as I can't say that it's 100% the case, but it seemed to work for me?
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#4 Sep 06 2010 at 9:38 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
'Elemental stats' : The new 'moon phase'!

Seriously though, until we have many many confirmations about this, please don't state it like it's a sure thing. This is how these stupid rumors get started and stick around as superstitions for 4 years.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#5 Sep 06 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
i have 45 on fire and have grand total of 0 fire crstal...

I want to play smith!!
#6 Sep 06 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
I put about 80% of my resist points into water. At level 11 Thaumy, I have a total of 70 water shards. I think what you're experiencing is a coincidence my friend.

Certain mobs are more likely to drop certain crystals than others. If you want wind, try Puks in the Limsa Lominsa area.


He was referring to getting crystals when gathering, though. So maybe it has something to do with it in that situation, but not when fighting monsters. Need further confirmation on this.
#7 Sep 06 2010 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
I mined up a storm since OB started, i have all stats at equal, yet i got like 500 earth, 200 ice, 100 fire, 50 thunder, 30 water, 10 wind.

Does not compute. This theory is fail.

I finally found the mobs around that L city drop wind, so i farmed a ton there, in the end while doing that all my crystals have ended up almost equal to eachother. I really think different city starter zones have a different ratio of crystal drops, and even out with eachother.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:25am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#8 Sep 06 2010 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
As a Wildwood Elezen (born under the astral/lightning moon) I tend to only find wind shards while doing botany in Gridania... so weird >_>

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:49am by Tweezle120
#9 Sep 06 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I put about 80% of my resist points into water. At level 11 Thaumy, I have a total of 70 water shards. I think what you're experiencing is a coincidence my friend.

Certain mobs are more likely to drop certain crystals than others. If you want wind, try Puks in the Limsa Lominsa area.


Also try mining limsa areas...mining Ul'Dah I've run across mainly fire but Limsa is mainly wind.
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Sep 06 2010 at 11:09 PM Rating: Excellent
I read this too so I moved most of my points to wind resistance. Before this I was mainly getting fire and earth shards, since the change I've gotten wind shards almost exclusively while harvesting. Enough info to prove a theory? No, but in my experience over the last few days it's worked for me.
#11 Sep 06 2010 at 11:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
could be true, majority of my stats are in fire, over 50 now i think and the most i get is fire shards..
____________________________
MUTED
#12 Sep 06 2010 at 11:21 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
Gridania seems to be mainly wind/fire/earth shards and crystals. I don't really think it has anything to do with elemental points, seeing as how most of mine are in Thunder and I don't have enough of those ever as a fledgling Weaver.

Still, theorists gonna theorize.
#13 Sep 06 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Default
*
83 posts
I have them basicly equaled out with fire being 5 stats higher than the rest. After probally 6 hours of grinding moles and dodos solo guess what? 276 earth shards.... and 90~100 of everything else. So.... its just what you kill.
#14 Sep 06 2010 at 11:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
77 posts
makes me wonder if the elemental points also effect crafting WITH those crystals...
what to do what to do


Dodos in uld drop wind shards/crystals out their ****. i can finally solo them and thus finally getting lvls in armorer...

killing is set per mob

however gathering crystals is unknown

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 1:25am by orenji13
#15 Sep 06 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
I guess it's possible. I started in Ul'dah, which explains why I have a ton of Earth. However, every time I mine I get Fire, which is also my highest of the elements.
#16 Sep 07 2010 at 12:10 AM Rating: Good
I have a perfectly even distribution of elements and never get wind or lightning shards. Elemental distribution certain has nothing to do with it when it comes to what mobs drop. In P3 I was focused entirely on lightning and fire, and fire was by far the scarcest shard type for me, even though I did a ton of gathering.

Like moon phase or directional facing in FFXI, if you want people to take it seriously then you need to prove it empirically, not just report it as an anecdote.
#17 Sep 07 2010 at 12:28 AM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts
I think you guys are right. My conjurer has elemental points added mostly in Fire, Thunder. Some on Ice, Blizzard. And little on Earth, Wind. And guess what? I got 0 wind and 0 earth shards.

Stinks because I can not cook stuff since I need wind shard.
#18 Sep 07 2010 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
It seems in my experience that the crystals are mob specific. I've also noticed some are more frequent than others. Everyone I talk to has near the same amounts depending on their crafting. The most elusive seem to be lightning. Other than fireflies, I can't think of anything else that would drop them currently in the game. Earth seems to be the most common followed by wind and water.
#19 Sep 07 2010 at 1:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
122 posts
This is definitely true. I've started a few different characters in Ul'dah and hadn't seen a single wind shard. Not one. As soon as I dumped all my points in to Wind, I started getting loads, from both mining and botany.
#20 Sep 07 2010 at 1:29 AM Rating: Excellent
*
111 posts
The question now isn't so much about the mob drops, but the harvesting drops.
This seems extremely easy to test. Someone in beta (not me, no graphics card yet or I would) just needs to put all of their points into one element and then mine or some other "harvest" like task. and see the results.
THEN reallocate all of those points into one other element and repeat the experiment in the same area that was mined or harvested previously.
THEN do it again with a different element.

If it works it will be obvious. If not, that will also be obvious.
#21 Sep 07 2010 at 1:31 AM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
IMO, changing elemental affinity affects crystal drop rate, but won't alter the drop pool.

IE: It won't force a mob to drop a crystal it normally wouldn't. So yeah, if you need wind for example, suck it up and go genocide some sheep (fishing in Limsa too).

Edit-- haven't done harvesting so I can only speak for killing mobs.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 2:33am by Evilhobbit
____________________________
Astral Descent Homepage
#22 Sep 07 2010 at 5:33 AM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
I read this too so I moved most of my points to wind resistance. Before this I was mainly getting fire and earth shards, since the change I've gotten wind shards almost exclusively while harvesting. Enough info to prove a theory? No, but in my experience over the last few days it's worked for me.


Yea what I mean in the OP is drop rates from 'Mining' as that is all I can say I've tried with this theory..perhaps other harvesting to. But it seems that a few people in this thread are having the same outcome as I am.
I was getting literally 0 wind shards before I put my points into wind, as soon as I did, I started getting mostly wind..so I'm not just spreading 'wild rumours', I'm going by my own experience, as well as others, which is all I can do.
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#23 Sep 07 2010 at 6:07 AM Rating: Default
*
194 posts
Did you know if you run at a goblin when it is getting ready to throw its bomb, it will drop it!! It works, I've done it myself! >.>

The region and the activity are the factor here, not your elemental distribution. I have an even distribution. In Uldah I see Fire > Earth > Wind > Lightning when mining. In Limsa, I see Wind > Earth > Fire. No change in my stats. Haven't tried Gridania yet.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#24 Sep 07 2010 at 6:31 AM Rating: Decent
*
219 posts
Edalya wrote:
Did you know if you run at a goblin when it is getting ready to throw its bomb, it will drop it!! It works, I've done it myself! >.>

The region and the activity are the factor here, not your elemental distribution. I have an even distribution. In Uldah I see Fire > Earth > Wind > Lightning when mining. In Limsa, I see Wind > Earth > Fire. No change in my stats. Haven't tried Gridania yet.


That's not quite the same tho is it...other people are having success this way, (when mining). Seriously I don't get the attitude? It's beta, no info has been released about how things work, so people are trying things out. And I was told about this method and it worked for me, and others around me...it's not quite the same as your thrilling goblin anecdote..
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#25 Sep 07 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
*
194 posts
But it is quite the same when there are numerous people who are posting reports contradicting yours. If the affinity made a difference, those with even distribution would see even rates of drops. Those with extreme distribution would see extreme rates of drops. One necessitates the other if this theory is correct. So far there are a couple people claiming the second, and a whole bunch of people proving the first is not correct. Therefore, it is coincidental at best.

What were you actual numbers? How many shards of each type did you get for the number of attempts? What area were you in? All you say is "Hey, guys! I changed my stats and all of a sudden got more!" That is useless information to prove a theory. We need real numbers, especially when there is strong evidence that the theory is not correct.

The goblin bomb is a worthy comparison. People swore up and down that it was the case. Look, I've done it, it must be true. They ignored the evidence against it, and said that anyone who didn't get it to work did it wrong. Or server lag messed it up. Your theory, at the moment, does not have any hard evidence supporting you, and has some significant evidence against it. Therefore, it is equivalent to the gobby bomb.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#26 Sep 07 2010 at 6:54 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
Dude, I was in game, having major trouble finding any wind shards from mining, I used this method and almost instantly was finding 3-5 each mining session...I posted what I found. If you don't think there is any truth in it, that's fine, I'm not ignoring people that are saying they have no results this way, but I know of others that ARE having success this way, and looking down this thread this advice has helped a few people. If you see no results after doing the stat change then fine, undo what you just did and put the stats to how they originally were. It's a forum, not a court room, if you want to give it a go, do so, if not then don't. But remember I'm talking about mining.
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#27 Sep 07 2010 at 7:07 AM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
ive tried the method myself and it seems to work out fine

went pure earth resistance and i got a load of earth shards while mining
then switched to lightning and got a load of them while mining
then tried fire, then water, then ice. it seems sound

granted i still get other crystal shards while mining but i mostly get which every element resistance i have more of more often.

its 100% not true when it comes to mobs tho. they have a fixed element or so it seems
#28 Sep 07 2010 at 7:12 AM Rating: Decent
*
219 posts
nirtsbro wrote:
ive tried the method myself and it seems to work out fine

went pure earth resistance and i got a load of earth shards while mining
then switched to lightning and got a load of them while mining
then tried fire, then water, then ice. it seems sound

granted i still get other crystal shards while mining but i mostly get which every element resistance i have more of more often.

its 100% not true when it comes to mobs tho. they have a fixed element or so it seems


glad to see I'm not going crazy!
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#29 Sep 07 2010 at 7:15 AM Rating: Decent
*
194 posts
I am also talking about mining. I'm currently level 14 miner. The other major factor is, was this all tested under the same patch? Intentionally or not, the drops could change patch to patch, and with patches coming daily it could be a huge factor.

When you post something as fact, it becomes like a court room. If you posted in a more indirect way such as:

Quote:
I modified my elemental attributes based on a theory I read so that all of my elemental points were in wind. Once I did that, I seemed to get an immediate and significant increase in my shard drops from mining. My sample size was small, so I don't know for sure if this was what did it, so I am going to keep testing, but results seem promising.


This invites further testing rather than people, like me, stating that it is anecdotal at best, and is probably bunk.

I will concede that it is _possible_ that your theory is correct, but the evidence right now is iffy at best. Just because I turn around three times and then flip a coin 10 times and come up with 8 heads does not mean that turning around had anything to do with it. Random is random until mathematically proven otherwise.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#30 Sep 07 2010 at 8:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
I said this on another post but will repeat here because I believe the 'resistance' elemental points do affect DoL. If there is stats of elemental resistance which it has been seen as in every other ff game, how would resistance benefit a DoL? It's said that someone can have a main like a miner so what would be the benefit of getting those stat points to spend? Surely not resistance since a miner is not fighting but if the character can INFLUENCE the materials he gathers(shards and crystals) with the elemental points, there would be a reason to have them. I know its just a theory but again I spent wind elemental points and now its the shard I get most often from mining, after getting few and far between.
#31 Sep 07 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
Theory:
Perhaps elemental stats for DoW protect them, for DoM it enhances their spells, for DoH it helps prevent elemental blowouts, and for DoL it helps them find different crystals. Now as far as pulling lightning crystals from a tree, I'm sure affinity only helps nudge the item pool, not change it, you'll still need to mine for those probably, not use botany.

otherwise there's been a lot of evidence to point towards crystal drops by monsters being monster-specific.
#32 Sep 07 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Edalya wrote:
I will concede that it is _possible_ that your theory is correct, but the evidence right now is iffy at best.


Relax Judge Judy, people are just speculating, you make it sound like its a court room....geez some people know how to take the fun out of something.

I too have tested this and it seems to work - I started out with 3 wind shards, mining Ul'Dah which I've been getting fire shards almost exclusively from (I had majority of my stats in fire), when I switched to wind I am now sitting at 77 wind shards in a couple hours mining session, so it seems legit. I'll test it with other elemental resistances.
____________________________
MUTED
#33 Sep 07 2010 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*
194 posts
I'll tell you what. I will attempt to gather some evidence tonight. What I will do is this:

1. Attempt 50 gathers at the level 1 mining points outside of Uldah at my current, even distribution of elemental stats. Record shard drops.

2. Shift my elemental distribution to heavily favor wind.

3. Attempt another 50 gathers at the same level 1 mining points outside of Uldah. Record shard drops.

4. Compare.

This is still a pretty low sample size to prove anything, but some real numbers will benefit this thread. I won't be able to start this until after 5pm eastern, but I will get the info up as quickly as I can.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#34 Sep 07 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Excellent
*
194 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Relax Judge Judy, people are just speculating, you make it sound like its a court room....geez some people know how to take the fun out of something.

I too have tested this and it seems to work - I started out with 3 wind shards, mining Ul'Dah which I've been getting fire shards almost exclusively from (I had majority of my stats in fire), when I switched to wind I am now sitting at 77 wind shards in a couple hours mining session, so it seems legit. I'll test it with other elemental resistances.


Look, the reason I am reacting strongly is that this isn't being touted as something to test, it is being touted as fact. All that leads to is insane superstitions that persist for years. After you switched, how many fire shards did you get? Simply posting that "I got more after I switched" is not useful in testing. What is useful is seeing the actual distribution and where you were mining. Was it all level 1 nodes, or was it a mix of 1 and 2 (and 3?)?

Sorry if my idea of fun for testing a theory involves specific, scientifically based testing and not anecdotes.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#35 Sep 07 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
218 posts
Edalya wrote:
The goblin bomb is a worthy comparison. People swore up and down that it was the case. Look, I've done it, it must be true. They ignored the evidence against it, and said that anyone who didn't get it to work did it wrong. Or server lag messed it up. Your theory, at the moment, does not have any hard evidence supporting you, and has some significant evidence against it. Therefore, it is equivalent to the gobby bomb.

Hehe I remember that now you mention it, FFXI was full of so many anecdotal things that werent proven like that.
Of course square doesnt help matters when they do put hidden effects on items that are provable, so people always looking for them.
____________________________
#36 Sep 07 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
218 posts
SpikeoElward wrote:
Dude, I was in game, having major trouble finding any wind shards from mining, I used this method and almost instantly was finding 3-5 each mining session...I posted what I found.

Its not your results, but your scientific method that is in question.
You mention the one thing you knew had changed, but is it the only thing for sure?
Did your skill or rank not increase at any point, maybe the ingame day changed, maybe you were wearing red shoes?
Suggesting that elemental stat affects mined crystals as a working theory for further investigation is fine, just not if it stated as fact with so little testing.
____________________________
#37 Sep 07 2010 at 9:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Sorry if my idea of fun for testing a theory involves specific, scientifically based testing and not anecdotes.


Ok but considering we're in beta its ok if people speculate, don't worry someone will do the harsh work and number crunching and we'll get solid evidence on whether this works or not...people are just speculating, talking, for the sake of speculating, I don't think anyone passed it off as fact but people are just posting their observations that's all.

Edalya wrote:
I'll tell you what. I will attempt to gather some evidence tonight. What I will do is this:

1. Attempt 50 gathers at the level 1 mining points outside of Uldah at my current, even distribution of elemental stats. Record shard drops.

2. Shift my elemental distribution to heavily favor wind.

3. Attempt another 50 gathers at the same level 1 mining points outside of Uldah. Record shard drops.

4. Compare.

This is still a pretty low sample size to prove anything, but some real numbers will benefit this thread. I won't be able to start this until after 5pm eastern, but I will get the info up as quickly as I can.


...and it seems you'll be doing the number crunching Smiley: yippee, make a new topic when you do so it stands out I wanna see if this can be proven (right or wrong).
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Sep 07 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
*
219 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:
Sorry if my idea of fun for testing a theory involves specific, scientifically based testing and not anecdotes.


Ok but considering we're in beta its ok if people speculate, don't worry someone will do the harsh work and number crunching and we'll get solid evidence on whether this works or not...people are just speculating, talking, for the sake of speculating, I don't think anyone passed it off as fact but people are just posting their observations that's all.

Edalya wrote:
I'll tell you what. I will attempt to gather some evidence tonight. What I will do is this:

1. Attempt 50 gathers at the level 1 mining points outside of Uldah at my current, even distribution of elemental stats. Record shard drops.

2. Shift my elemental distribution to heavily favor wind.

3. Attempt another 50 gathers at the same level 1 mining points outside of Uldah. Record shard drops.

4. Compare.

This is still a pretty low sample size to prove anything, but some real numbers will benefit this thread. I won't be able to start this until after 5pm eastern, but I will get the info up as quickly as I can.


...and it seems you'll be doing the number crunching Smiley: yippee, make a new topic when you do so it stands out I wanna see if this can be proven (right or wrong).


SolidMack is right, I NEVER stated this to be fact, simply my observations, if you read the thread I clearly say under Osarion's post, 'Perhaps it is a coincidence, as I can't say that it's 100% the case'...I'm sorry but at no point did I try to claim it was fact, so please, don't portray it that way..
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
#39 Sep 07 2010 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
**
437 posts
I hate to add to the non-believer side, but...

At lvl 10 physical, and a conjurer, I decided to stick with Fire, Ice and Lightning for my primary elements and put scraps into the other ones just for defenses sake.

I am at 30/30/30 Fire/Lightning/Ice and I only ever get Lightning shards/crystals from chopping trees. Not that I am complaining-- I want them for weaving. But I never get ice or fire from them. I was chopping trees for a good 5-6 hours today as well so... take it as you will.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#40 Sep 07 2010 at 10:19 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
other people are having success this way, (when mining)


Gotta love the people that only look at the proof that supports their side, and ignore any disproving facts.

FACT (for the 3rd time) : I have equal elemental stats. I got 75% of my crystals from mining a LOT. My crystal drop rates are nowhere near even. They were horribly skewed between like 3-400 earth, and like 15 winds. That right there DISPROVES IT 100%. If the elemental stat had any effect, I should be getting even, or nearly even drops of all shards.

Quote:
Ok but considering we're in beta its ok if people speculate

Speculating is "I think this makes that happen". That's not what people are saying, they're saying "OMG elemental stats make crystal drops its true I tested it!!!" (with no reliable testing). Like i said, letting these people run around the forums without pointing out they have no real proof, and that there's proof to the opposite, is how horribly false info becomes community gospel that is then impossible to get rid of.

It happened on many different things in FFXI from the innocent moon phase/craft direction supersitions, to the more damaging "BST ruins party exp" and "PUP is low class DD" kind of beliefs. Each of those persisted even when it was clear that they were wrong. So let's not get into the habbit of spewing 'facts' as truth already, at least state it as a MAYBE.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:24pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#41 Sep 07 2010 at 10:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
shinichoco wrote:
I hate to add to the non-believer side, but...

At lvl 10 physical, and a conjurer, I decided to stick with Fire, Ice and Lightning for my primary elements and put scraps into the other ones just for defenses sake.

I am at 30/30/30 Fire/Lightning/Ice and I only ever get Lightning shards/crystals from chopping trees. Not that I am complaining-- I want them for weaving. But I never get ice or fire from them. I was chopping trees for a good 5-6 hours today as well so... take it as you will.

Maybe one resistance has to be higher than the rest for it to have an affect.

It definitely isn't a coincidence. I levelled Botanist and Miner past rank 10 without even seeing a wind shard. I put all my points in to wind while I was standing next to a mining point, and I got a total of 5 shards from it. From then on, I got wind shards from most deposits.
#42 Sep 07 2010 at 10:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
Quote:
other people are having success this way, (when mining)


Gotta love the people that only look at the proof that supports their side, and ignore any disproving facts.

FACT (for the 3rd time) : I have equal elemental stats. I got 75% of my crystals from mining a LOT. My crystal drop rates are nowhere near even. They were horribly skewed between like 3-400 earth, and like 15 winds. That right there DISPROVES IT 100%. If the elemental stat had any effect, I should be getting even, or nearly even drops of all shards.

That doesn't disprove the theory at all, it just proves that it's much more complicated than "Having points in an element means you get that elements shards"

Plus: location plays a part in it. As far as I'm aware, being near Ul'dah means that by default, you'll get more fire shards from what I've seen.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:24pm by parabolaa
#43 Sep 07 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
149 posts
There's a lot we haven't tested out yet, including moon cycles, days/guardians, etc.

From what I have seen though, it seems that crystals from mining are area-dependent and drops from monsters are family-dependent. I think that the moon cycles/days play a part in the # that are dropped/dug up though.
#44 Sep 07 2010 at 10:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
218 posts
SpikeoElward wrote:
SolidMack is right, I NEVER stated this to be fact, simply my observations, if you read the thread I clearly say under Osarion's post, 'Perhaps it is a coincidence, as I can't say that it's 100% the case'...I'm sorry but at no point did I try to claim it was fact, so please, don't portray it that way..

Well your topic title and original post came across very much like a statement of fact, it isnt "Elemental stats = crystals?"
Quote:
I was soon told that if I reassign a load of points into 'wind' on the characters stats then I'll see a lot more wind crystals drop. He was right!
____________________________
#45 Sep 07 2010 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,815 posts
Azimov beat me to it. The problem is in the way the first post presents it as if it's already 100% proven. Just look at the title "Elemental stats = crystals" People don't all read thread discussions, they'll just look at the title, and the first post, and start repeating it to all their friends online as fact.

A better title would have been "Elemental stats = crystals?" . Huge difference. And then people would feel compelled to read the discussion to see what was the consensus.

Also if this was writeen as :
Quote:
I was soon told that if I reassign a load of points into 'wind' on the characters stats then I'll see a lot more wind crystals drop. It seemed to work, it deserves more testing.


The problem lies in stating things with certainty, that are by no means certain yet.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:32pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#46 Sep 07 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
my fire resistence is now 50. Still 0 fire crystal!!!!!

If anyone knows how to get fire crystal (not shards and I am in Lima (sp?)), plz pm me or start a thread for ppl like me...

Seariously, why bother put crafting jobs at char creation when players won't be able to do any crafts right after the game begins??
#47 Sep 07 2010 at 10:56 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
491 posts
I tend to be a realist, which means I agree with those seeking more evidence before touting this as true. Although I feel we will be wasting our time trying to convince these others that it is not true, even if disproven. For example, there is a friend of mine at work that believes that if a black cat crosses his path, he will get money. But, upon asking him to supply a time limit on when any money he receives could be attributed to the cat crossing his path, he couldn't or wouldn't answer, because if he was wrong, it would disprove his theory. Now, the next time he gets money, he is going to associate it with that cat, no matter what. I think that is what we are experiencing here.
#48 Sep 07 2010 at 11:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
DragonBourne wrote:
I tend to be a realist, which means I agree with those seeking more evidence before touting this as true. Although I feel we will be wasting our time trying to convince these others that it is not true, even if disproven. For example, there is a friend of mine at work that believes that if a black cat crosses his path, he will get money. But, upon asking him to supply a time limit on when any money he receives could be attributed to the cat crossing his path, he couldn't or wouldn't answer, because if he was wrong, it would disprove his theory. Now, the next time he gets money, he is going to associate it with that cat, no matter what. I think that is what we are experiencing here.


Quoting myself from a previous post...
Quote:
I levelled Botanist and Miner past rank 10 without even seeing a wind shard. I put all my points in to wind while I was standing next to a mining point, and I got a total of 5 shards from it. From then on, I got wind shards from most deposits.

That's undeniable proof that there's some connection. Like I said before, it's obviously more complicated than simply having points in a certain resistance makes you get that elements shards, but there's a connection there and I'm sure someone will research it in more detail and provide the specifics.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 1:00pm by parabolaa
#49 Sep 07 2010 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
*
194 posts
parabolaa wrote:
That's undeniable proof that there's some connection. Like I said before, it's obviously more complicated than simply having points in a certain resistance makes you get that elements shards, but there's a connection there and I'm sure someone will research it in more detail and provide the specifics.


I take it you've never heard of "Correlation does NOT equal causation." ?

The evidence you are showing is at this point coincidence without more data, AND more accurate data. How many shards did you get in total, of all types, before the change? How many after? Which nodes were you mining from before and after? Did the game day change? Was there a patch? What were your actual values before and after? Without controlling all of the variables, you cannot make a determination.
____________________________
FFXI: Edalya, Valefor Server 99WAR/99PLD/99DNC/75DRG (Retired)
FFXIV: Edalya Evenstar, Excalibur Server 46DRG
#50 Sep 07 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
491 posts
parabolaa wrote:
That's undeniable proof that there's some connection. Like I said before, it's obviously more complicated than simply having points in a certain resistance makes you get that elements shards, but there's a connection there and I'm sure someone will research it in more detail and provide the specifics.


You sure it didn't have something to do with how far away from the mining point you were when you reassigned the stats? And for those of you that thinks this sounds ridiculous, realize that from the outside looking in, without proof, your claims sound no less.
#51 Sep 07 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
Azimov beat me to it. The problem is in the way the first post presents it as if it's already 100% proven. Just look at the title "Elemental stats = crystals" People don't all read thread discussions, they'll just look at the title, and the first post, and start repeating it to all their friends online as fact.

A better title would have been "Elemental stats = crystals?" . Huge difference. And then people would feel compelled to read the discussion to see what was the consensus.

Also if this was writeen as :
Quote:
I was soon told that if I reassign a load of points into 'wind' on the characters stats then I'll see a lot more wind crystals drop. It seemed to work, it deserves more testing.


The problem lies in stating things with certainty, that are by no means certain yet.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 12:32pm by RattyBatty


Ok so I'll take your point there. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in naming the thread, and for that I apologize. Again, I made it clear that I was by no means certain in the third post down.

And for those that are claiming I'm ignoring the counter arguments, that simply isn't true, I'm very much open to the idea of it being coincidence, but again, I can only judge by my own experiences, and that is that they seem to back the theory up. Not only me but most of the LS I'm in have seemed to back the theory up.

Again, let me reiterate, I by no means stated that this theory is fact, and I apologize if that is how it came across.

If there is a way I can change the name to Element stats = crystals? I will..

My opinion on the matter, however, hasn't changed.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 1:55pm by SpikeoElward
____________________________
Spikeo 75 RDM - Gilgamesh - Retired
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)