Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

DoH 2 tools?Follow

#1 Sep 07 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
25 posts
Ok so I got synthing down to a tee, but I still don't know why there are two tools for each class? I've never used my secondary tools yet so are they important?
#2 Sep 07 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Decent
*
195 posts
Good question. I havent even started crafting yet but would be a nice answer to have.
#3 Sep 07 2010 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
I think some synths do better in offhand tool. I haven't really figured out which ones yet. Working on goldsmith it seems like the bone rings and copper rings like the secondary tool. I can't be sure though.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#4 Sep 07 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
I think certain recipes work better in the off hand and vice versa. When i was making grilled carp/trout etc i was using the main hand and it worked great. But tried making orange juice and it failed big time then tried on the sub weapon and it went good. It makes sense too since you wouldn't "cook" orange juice but cut them up, etc. Makes the crafting just that much better imo :D
____________________________

#5 Sep 07 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
25 posts
Ok so it turns out that it was just logic? I figured this was the case but I wasn't sure. Sure it makes more sense to make something with the right tool but all these weapons and tools sure fill up my bag fast SE!!! Give us a bit more room Onegai Shimasu!!
#6 Sep 07 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
I think Goldsmithing illustrates the difference in the tools clearly.


Primary Tool: Cross-pein Chaser Hammer

This allows you to hammer/mold jewelry, rings, etc...


Secondary Tool: Mudstone Grinding Wheel

This is for recipes such as taking raw elemental stones and polishing them into jewels. You grind away the rock till you are left with the jewel.

Recipes require one tool or the other. It is also possible to have the same ingredients, but by using either your main hand or your off-hand you can produce 2 or more different products.
#7 Sep 07 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Carpentry does as well. With the main, Weathered Saw, it's a snap to make Willow Lumber. With the off, Bronze Claw Hammer, it's a failure waiting to happen. However, when you make Willow Shavings it's much easier with the Hammer and a chisel than it is with the Saw.
#8 Sep 07 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Open up your equipment window.

Now select your primary tool. Take note of the 3 values that it shows. I can't remember what these are called from work.

For fishing, the Rod has a 9 in harvesting (or whatever it's called) but a 6 in "Scanning".

Now look at the Bronze Gig (secondary tool). It has a 6 in harvesting and a 9 in "Scanning".

So when you use the Ability "Gulleye" to locate fishing nodes, you would want to use the secondary tool.

Basically, you will find the stats for each tool in the equipment screen.
#9 Sep 07 2010 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
LordMethos wrote:
I think Goldsmithing illustrates the difference in the tools clearly.


Primary Tool: Cross-pein Chaser Hammer

This allows you to hammer/mold jewelry, rings, etc...


Secondary Tool: Mudstone Grinding Wheel

This is for recipes such as taking raw elemental stones and polishing them into jewels. You grind away the rock till you are left with the jewel.

Recipes require one tool or the other. It is also possible to have the same ingredients, but by using either your main hand or your off-hand you can produce 2 or more different products.


really? cause I suceeded on a marbled eye with main hand first try and failed miserably with the offhand tool
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#10 Sep 07 2010 at 1:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Recipes require one tool or the other. It is also possible to have the same ingredients, but by using either your main hand or your off-hand you can produce 2 or more different products.


Have you had this happen? so far in my goldsmithing career (rank 5 only) I've noticed that both tools, same recipes, result in the same product in the end; I haven't run across a new recipe dependent on tool but I think it'd be cool if it was that way.

On this topic: anyone know what it means when it shows you "required skill" and shows a book of some sort beside it that would say something like (for example) "Master cook"? I've never got these "skills" but they just appear with certain (or all?) recipes.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 3:44pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#11 Sep 07 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
*
239 posts
Those books are bought from your guild store wth guild marks, I think after beta we'll have to acquire them before we can do those recipes. If they have those types of restrictions not currently implemented, then it's possible the main/2nd hand differences are not implemented yet either...
#12 Sep 07 2010 at 2:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Directed to Olornius (forgot to quote, sorry):

Lol do you have your tools put into the wrong hands? j/k I know it doesn't let you put them in the wrong hands.

I can't explain why it let you then.

Yeah, I made a dozen or so lapis lazuli & other stones yesterday all while using the mudstone grinding wheel. Went 12/13. They are actually pretty decent to skillup on.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 4:46pm by LordMethos
#13 Sep 07 2010 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Quote:
Recipes require one tool or the other. It is also possible to have the same ingredients, but by using either your main hand or your off-hand you can produce 2 or more different products.


Have you had this happen? so far in my goldsmithing career (rank 5 only) I've noticed that both tools, same recipes, result in the same product in the end; I haven't run across a new recipe dependent on tool but I think it'd be cool if it was that way.

On this topic: anyone know what it means when it shows you "required skill" and shows a book of some sort beside it that would say something like (for example) "Master cook"? I've never got these "skills" but they just appear with certain (or all?) recipes.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 3:44pm by SolidMack


I didn't notice this as much with goldsmithing as I did with armorer. I forget which recipe it was now, it was for a local levequest, but I began to use my main hand for the ingredient that were provided to me and noticed that it did not produce the requested item for the levequest but produced something different instead. I switched to off-hand and was able to complete the synth.
#14 Sep 07 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
LordMethos wrote:
Directed to Olornius (forgot to quote, sorry):

Lol do you have your tools put into the wrong hands? j/k I know it doesn't let you put them in the wrong hands.

I can't explain why it let you then.

Yeah, I made a dozen or so lapis lazuli & other stones yesterday all while using the mudstone grinding wheel. Went 12/13. They are actually pretty decent to skillup on.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 4:46pm by LordMethos


where do you get the raw stones? Mined?

Anyway I am going to use the main hand tool and see if I do better ... but going to wait another level first.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Sep 07 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Grand Master Scribe Olorinus wrote:
LordMethos wrote:
Directed to Olornius (forgot to quote, sorry):

Lol do you have your tools put into the wrong hands? j/k I know it doesn't let you put them in the wrong hands.

I can't explain why it let you then.

Yeah, I made a dozen or so lapis lazuli & other stones yesterday all while using the mudstone grinding wheel. Went 12/13. They are actually pretty decent to skillup on.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 4:46pm by LordMethos


where do you get the raw stones? Mined?

Anyway I am going to use the main hand tool and see if I do better ... but going to wait another level first.


They are sold at the Goldsmiths Guild. Just buy Fire Stone, Lightning Stone, etc...

Problem is they take a crystal to synth with, not just shards.
#16 Sep 07 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Am I the only one who is seeing that the tools have stats next them?

In the equipment screen each tool has 3 values depending on what you use it for.
#17 Sep 07 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
LordMethos wrote:
Recipes require one tool or the other. It is also possible to have the same ingredients, but by using either your main hand or your off-hand you can produce 2 or more different products.


I find that fascinating. I was wondering why people have been posting duplicate recipes with different results. Now to find out which is which... As I mentioned earlier, commenting on the item or recipe page will get us to fix it. Right now we have only the primary tool listed, so let us know if it's something else.

Also, does anyone know at what point you need to start using the better quality tools?
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)