Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Selecting targets is no longer a problemFollow

#1 Sep 07 2010 at 1:54 PM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
This only applies to keyboard/mouse users. I think we have an advantage over controller users. Thanks to Cliff's hardware mouse patch I can finally say that using the mouse is the absolute best way to target enemies and allies. Why? Since the lag is gone, the mouse is very accurate at pinpointing a single target with a click of the button. It is faster than cycling through targets to the one u want. It is so accurate I can be far from a mob, click on it and it will target the mob.

One of my biggest concern was the target/tabbing system in XIV and the fact that the cursor was too laggy to be useful for targeting. I am actually enjoying the game now more than I did before. I used to be really grumpy about targeting because it was a pain when u have 3 monsters beating on u and ur too busy tabbing to one of them.

Other thoughts- I recall someone here said AOE spells only affect enemies in ur leve. This is not true. I experimented by fighting my leve mob and running them near a galago. I turned on AOE and faced in front of the leve monster and galago. After using the spell, it hit my leve monster and the galago. I hate it when people spread false facts.
#2 Sep 07 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
353 posts
Quote:
AoE spells will only hit monsters that are attacking you, or that you are engaged on. So you won't have to worry about a stray spell grabbing extra monsters.


Debunked! not true. You will hit the sheep in the process.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 3:58pm by Imaboomer
#3 Sep 07 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
Quote:
AoE spells will only hit monsters that are attacking you, or that you are engaged on. So you won't have to worry about a stray spell grabbing extra monsters.


Debunked! not true. You will hit the sheep in the process.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 3:58pm by Imaboomer


Seconded. I've hit mutlipled enemies using AoE...i like it, adds a little strategy....and most the time it just adds a lot of fun complications, especially when you're doing a guildleve and a nearby cactuar drills you up the booty.
____________________________
MUTED
#4 Sep 07 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
I like it too. It allows u to AOE multiple mobs for fast kills (if u can handle it) and it keeps u aware of ur surroundings. Those galagos follow u around and if u had nuke on AOE u are as good as dead.
#5 Sep 07 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
In FFXI I just never used AoE WS, the game didn't really require you to. But in FFXIV it seems like you have to for certain leves as you are actually fighting multiple enemies.
#6 Sep 07 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
What is this hardware mouse patch you are talking about? Is it something SE has done or something else?
#7 Sep 07 2010 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
The hardware mouse patch was done by Cliff, who made Windower for FFXI. All the patch does is enable the hardware mouse code in the game file.
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/13698/ffxiv-mouse-lag-fix/
#8 Sep 07 2010 at 2:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE THIRD-PARTY PROGRAMS!1!!!!1111!

Seriously though, I am very interested in this. I want to be able to use my mouse!
#9 Sep 07 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
The hardware mouse patch was done by Cliff, who made Windower for FFXI. All the patch does is enable the hardware mouse code in the game file.
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/13698/ffxiv-mouse-lag-fix/


Developer: Dude, testing with this crappy mouse sucks.

Developer2: Don't tell the boss, but threw in a hardware mouse module, just pass this variable when you compile.

Developer: Dude, you rock! We totally have to remember to take that out before we pass it over to marketing though.
#10 Sep 07 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
You can make a macro with /targetnpc. It will target the nearest mob for you. Also great for selecting the Guildleve NPC when the counter is crowded.
#11 Sep 07 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:

Developer: Dude, testing with this crappy mouse sucks.

Developer2: Don't tell the boss, but threw in a hardware mouse module, just pass this variable when you compile.

Developer: Dude, you rock! We totally have to remember to take that out before we pass it over to marketing though.

{Fact}
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#12 Sep 07 2010 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
***
1,422 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
Developer: Dude, testing with this crappy mouse sucks.

Developer2: Don't tell the boss, but threw in a hardware mouse module, just pass this variable when you compile.

Developer: Dude, you rock! We totally have to remember to take that out before we pass it over to marketing though.


I lol'd, cause it's entirely plausible for SE. Then I cried, cause it's entirely plausible for SE. Then I lol'd again.
#13 Sep 07 2010 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
Geffe the Meaningless wrote:
You can make a macro with /targetnpc. It will target the nearest mob for you. Also great for selecting the Guildleve NPC when the counter is crowded.

I remember just pressing the F8 key in Xi did this as well, actually the majority of the F# keys were assigned to targeting. Did they decide to leave this out of Xiv?
____________________________
Asyrian - 90 Drg/Mnk
Reisaki - 90 Blu/Dnc/Pup/Rdm
Majoga - 90 Pld/Nin
Belisi - 90 Sch/Cor/Whm


#14 Sep 07 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I like to press the left and right d-pad buttons to target. Macros for targeting party members.

I can see why the mouse onry crowd is upset though, the mouse lag is painful.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)