Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

ScreenshotsFollow

#1 Sep 09 2010 at 1:51 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
So, I've been messing around with my graphics settings and turned on DoF and AO to take some screenshots and they do make a difference!

Yeah it's pretty unplayable at 15fps but man it sure looks nice.

Here are a couple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763253/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763009/

A few more are in my Flickr account.

In the end pictures don't really do the game justice. I love how the light changes in real time when clouds block the sun. It's the little things! :)

Enjoy.
#2 Sep 09 2010 at 3:15 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
Lol i only dream my PC would run those graphics with no problem, :(
but hey ho, play now on PC until the PS3 release and i'll be a step closer to good graphics (not full pc spec, but better than what i'm currently playing on)

Rate up for showing me beauty ^


Edited, Sep 9th 2010 6:52am by RyderDecree
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#3 Sep 09 2010 at 4:12 AM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Kierk wrote:
So, I've been messing around with my graphics settings and turned on DoF and AO to take some screenshots and they do make a difference!

Yeah it's pretty unplayable at 15fps but man it sure looks nice.

Here are a couple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763253/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763009/

A few more are in my Flickr account.

In the end pictures don't really do the game justice. I love how the light changes in real time when clouds block the sun. It's the little things! :)

Enjoy.


I really can't stand the DOF effect. It gives me eyestrain because I keep trying to focus on distant objects. It hurts my eyes like one of those optical illusions with the out of focus lettering.

Thank god they have an option to turn it off or I wouldn't be able to even play this game.

Doesn't bother me in CS though, just in the actual game.





Edited, Sep 9th 2010 7:14am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#4 Sep 09 2010 at 8:17 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Kierk wrote:
So, I've been messing around with my graphics settings and turned on DoF and AO to take some screenshots and they do make a difference!

Yeah it's pretty unplayable at 15fps but man it sure looks nice.

Here are a couple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763253/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47400209@N03/4972763009/

A few more are in my Flickr account.

In the end pictures don't really do the game justice. I love how the light changes in real time when clouds block the sun. It's the little things! :)

Enjoy.


I really can't stand the DOF effect. It gives me eyestrain because I keep trying to focus on distant objects. It hurts my eyes like one of those optical illusions with the out of focus lettering.

Thank god they have an option to turn it off or I wouldn't be able to even play this game.

Doesn't bother me in CS though, just in the actual game.





Edited, Sep 9th 2010 7:14am by Lobivopis




Yeah real time DoF is redundant because your eyes naturally 'blur' the background when focused on a subject. I feel the same way with certain 3D effects like in Avatar.

Plus things like the stars and clouds are blurry which doesn't make sense.

But its a nice effect in screenshots!
#5 Sep 09 2010 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
315 posts
This game looks truly amazing at higher settings. Wish i could afford a new computer :)


Off topic. If you keep scrolling in your gallery it switches to some other pictures (real life stuff) and I ended up looking at a Rouge Imperial India Pale Ale! Good taste in beer man! :P Rouge truly makes some insanely good stuff.
____________________________
FFXI 2003-2007: Elaron ~Phoenix
FFXIV 2010-> : Gus Morgan ~Wutai

#6 Sep 09 2010 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
254 posts
#7 Sep 09 2010 at 9:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,001 posts
Quote:
Yeah real time DoF is redundant because your eyes naturally 'blur' the background when focused on a subject. I feel the same way with certain 3D effects like in Avatar.


Not quite, but you are correct that it really isn't necessary. I don't mind it for cut scenes because it gives greater cinematic effect to them.

For the regular game it is nice but it is an effect that must be allowed to be switched off in my opinion.
____________________________
FFXIV: Lord Atomsk - Lalafell on Lindblum
FFXI: Nyu 75 SAM (retired)
------------------------------------
#8 Sep 09 2010 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Aww. That pic with the lalafell in the rain is so adorably sad.
____________________________
Quote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This may quite possibly be the most epicly failed anti-antitroll trolling attempt.
#9 Sep 09 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
#10 Sep 09 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
*
81 posts
Well I guess I'll just throw this up here. I take a lot of screenshots, so I'll probably keep updating it every time I have a big load sitting around.

http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/KierraXIV/
____________________________

#11 Sep 09 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
492 posts


Gotta say the Water in this game is really stunning for a Mmo it really blows ffxi's lakes erm... out of the water...
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#12 Sep 09 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Nyu wrote:
Quote:
Yeah real time DoF is redundant because your eyes naturally 'blur' the background when focused on a subject. I feel the same way with certain 3D effects like in Avatar.


Not quite, but you are correct that it really isn't necessary. I don't mind it for cut scenes because it gives greater cinematic effect to them.

For the regular game it is nice but it is an effect that must be allowed to be switched off in my opinion.


You say 'not quite' how so? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Human_eye. I'm not being combative, just curious.

In any case, I think the main problem with DoF in games is that it is overused as an effect. It really doesn't present value.

In photography and movies, DoF is primarily used to accentuate the subject(s) meaning, in (real)movies and cut-scenes a certain amount of DoF is acceptable because the subject usually takes up most of the screen. In game the DoF at times can take up more screen real estate than the subject itself, hence becoming distracting.

DoF can be used as an artistic element, hence in things like Bokeh, but it just is strange to use it all of the time.

I think we can all agree that we're glad it can be toggled on and off.

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)