Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

The Death PenaltyFollow

#1 Sep 09 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
Is there any draw back to dying other than weakened state?

#2 Sep 09 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
315 posts
It makes you cry on the insides!

No, really. There is no real punishment atm that i know of.
____________________________
FFXI 2003-2007: Elaron ~Phoenix
FFXIV 2010-> : Gus Morgan ~Wutai

#3 Sep 09 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
I think you might get a spike in equipment damage, but that stat is hidden so out of the way I never thought to check before/after.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#4 Sep 09 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
I notice when your weekend your class XP become green so I've assumed it's capped and you cannot gain more. So that would be a detriment. Also you loose time by traveling back, so that's a detriment. And it seems your weapon might take a pretty big hit to durability. Aside from those I haven't noticed any.

One time though the servers crashed and I disconnected while fighting and had just recently leveled and learned cure. It turns out the servers needed to be rolled back an hour or so. When I logged back in I was dead and had lost 3/4 of my previous level. I didn't know it had rolled back and I wasn't positive which level I had hit so I naturally assumed I died and lost most of a level (couple K of xp)

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 12:31pm by windexy
#5 Sep 09 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
149 posts
Come retail, I'm guessing after level 5 we'll get exp loss, too, possibly?
#6 Sep 09 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
Quote:
Come retail, I'm guessing after level 5 we'll get exp loss, too, possibly?


Jesus, I hope not. Aren't wasted time, equipment degradation and weakness enough?
#7 Sep 09 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
I'm scared about a lot of things becoming harsher, come retail >.<

I always thought the wasted time, failing your goal, and 5 minute weakened should be plenty of punishment. Time is money.

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 1:34pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#8 Sep 09 2010 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
When I died my weapon became damaged enough to trigger the status icon. I suppose the hit that killed me could have been enough to do it, but my bet is on equipment damage spike on death.
#9 Sep 09 2010 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
i'm dreading equip degeneration...

Ryder falls unconsious..
Ryders pointy Stick snaps..

Ryder Eilfece : FFS ><
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#10 Sep 09 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
When I died my weapon became damaged enough to trigger the status icon. I suppose the hit that killed me could have been enough to do it, but my bet is on equipment damage spike on death.


Dying has always been the trigger for the degraded icon for me so I've always assumed it wasn't just coincidence that the final hit caused the degradation.
#11 Sep 09 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
I hope it stays the way it is now. It's manageable.
If they repeat the penalties XI had (especially at when it came out) I'll be very sad.
XI was way to annoying and I still don't know why they never removed the XP loss penalty to this day. It was very annoying and caused so much frustration.
#12 Sep 09 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
Quote:
XI was way to annoying and I still don't know why they never removed the XP loss penalty to this day. It was very annoying and caused so much frustration.


probably because they had no other way of making death a bad thing on the game, but with the addition of Raise2-3 the exp loss was greatly reduced, plus most people carried a reraise earring if they thought they where gonna die during an event, 500exp isn't that much of a total loss



Edited, Sep 9th 2010 1:48pm by RyderDecree
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#13 Sep 09 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:

probably because they had no other way of making death a bad thing on the game, but with the addition of Raise2-3 the exp loss was greatly reduced, plus most people carried a reraise earring if they thought they where gonna die during an event, 500exp isn't that much of a total loss

See:
Quote:

I always thought the wasted time, failing your goal, and 5 minute weakened should be plenty of punishment. Time is money.

Especially when your homepoint is 30+ minutes away..


Edited, Sep 9th 2010 3:14pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#14 Sep 09 2010 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
lol true. But the was always the option of a raise. if someone would happen to stop by,



Edited, Sep 9th 2010 3:18pm by RyderDecree
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#15 Sep 09 2010 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Which still meant Failed your goal and waste 5 minutes + the time it took to be raised.
Exp loss was always overkill.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)