Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Concern Regarding Patcher At Final ReleaseFollow

#1 Sep 17 2010 at 3:07 PM Rating: Good
14 posts
Hi guys. I cant get into the open beta because the patcher is so slow. I get, wait for it, top speed of around 7 bits, yes, thats right bits per second and 1 local connection, I never get any remote connections.
I have been told to use a torrent but one kind soul sent me a link on how to use it and it baffles me a bit to be honest.
The problem is will the patcher be like on on final release? If it is then Im stuffed.
I hate to make comparisons but while I wait for this Im playing Warhammer and the patcher in that game zips through everytime on startup. Why cant this games patcher be like that one?
I realize not all of you are having this problem but I think a few of us are. Will this be rectified on final release?.
Im in the UK and have tried disabling anti virus, firewall etc but the patcher refuses to budge.
#2 Sep 17 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
152 posts
Are you behind a router? That will slow you down. My friend had the same problem until we opened some ports on his router...then, the game downloaded at very high speeds.
#3 Sep 17 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Default
14 posts
OH, and now the patcher is playing music in the background. Thats useful considering nothing is being downloaded.
#4 Sep 17 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Yes, I am using a router, but Ive never had the problem before. There must be some info on that somewhere, if you find any, maybe you could link it. Thanks for that.
#5 Sep 17 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
152 posts
Just go into your router's app and make sure you have the proper ports open. There should be an option to open selected ports. In the ffxiv config, it lets you use auto selected ports between certain number ranges(can't think of them off-hand, but it's right there when you open the ffxiv config.

I had to just google port forwarding and within a page or two was able to learn how to do it. Easy peasy.

Also, my friend who had this same problem didn't have this problem with other games/apps. The way ffxiv's torrent files distribute is strange or something. He gave up but I wouldn't let him(mainly cuz I'm selfish and wanted a RL friend in game with me;)

Edited, Sep 17th 2010 5:49pm by ButterflyM
#6 Sep 17 2010 at 3:55 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Thanks for the reply Butter. Am currently trying to do this now. I have a Siemanns Gigaset 587. There is 1 box that I cant work out what goes in it. Thats the local IP box. At the moment there is 4 zeros in there separated by dots. The new settings will not accept the 4 zeros or MY local IP address. If I can sort out what goes in there I think we will be rolling, thanks to you.
#7 Sep 17 2010 at 4:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
335 posts
If I am not mistaken your local IP would be the IP address your computer is assigned by your router. For port forwarding in general it is best to make your IP static as it does have a possibility of changing. But to find out your IP run cmd and type ipconfig. The number you are looking for is the IPv4 address. Most likely something like 192.168.1.***
____________________________


#8 Sep 17 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
I'm pretty worried myself... I bought a pc last week that meets the ffxi specs, and cannot download the main patch file because the download speed is too slow and unreliable. I don't get any remote connections so I'm assuming I need to change the router settings... thing is, router is my housemate's and I got a feeling he won't want to change the router settings so that I don't use the bandwidth.

Obviously I won't know until I ask, but I would much rather a solution that didn't involve asking someone else's permission to fix things. Been downloading other games in the meantime - LOTRO, AoC, Warhammer Online, but they lack the atmosphere im used to in Final Fantasy games... and the graphics are too cartoony for my liking, similar to WoW - but at least I can run them with no problem at all - they even allow you to download patches 'while playing', which is great.

I'm hoping either SE will have alternate ways of patching clients from the current ones, or at least not release any patches as big as the one reqquired in the Beta. Maybe they will download easier that way.

I've tried torrenting files but most sites are so dodgy and full of malware, or make it really hard to download files unless you pay a subscription fee...

Am I missing something real obvious? (apart from move out?)
#9 Sep 17 2010 at 6:12 PM Rating: Good
34 posts
Iakkin wrote:
I've tried torrenting files but most sites are so dodgy and full of malware, or make it really hard to download files unless you pay a subscription fee...

Am I missing something real obvious? (apart from move out?)


Download files using torrent in openbeta was simple and you do not need to visit any site except downloading of bittorrent program. BT link was inside your FF14 folder, all you have to do is double-click the metalink and it will download the file and all you have to do is paste it inside the patch, and run your FF14 again for it to setup.

Start Button/My Document/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version/downloads/ffxiv-beta/.........
"d96437e6" folder was blue background update patch.
"bca2a8ae" folder was red background update patch.
there are two folder inside these two of them "metainfo" & "patch".
metainfo = bittorrent link.
patch = the place to paste your file to after download.
After pasting the downloaded file into "patch" folder, run your ffxiboot for it to install/setup.

The following method can be use in openbeta, but not sure if retail would be similar.

Edited, Sep 18th 2010 12:34am by RECCO
#10 Sep 17 2010 at 8:53 PM Rating: Decent
29 posts
There are a couple of things you can do to speed up the download with the official patcher.

First you have to make a DHCP reservation for your IP address, just to make sure your IP doesnt change.

Next open up ports on the router to forward to your IP address. (55296-55551 TCP and UDP, 443 UDP) needs to be open. Also ensure that UPnP is enabled on your router as well.

Finally a lot of people do no realize this but, some AntiVirus/Firewalls will block UPnP. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and UPnP was block by default. So you should check that UPnP on your host based firewall is open as well.

Once you have that all set up, you should be able to get 20+ connections and download speeds of 900K+. Alternatively you can just plug your PC directly into the modem and turn off your firewall and download the patch that way.
#11 Sep 17 2010 at 9:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
118 posts
pintsizetaru wrote:
There are a couple of things you can do to speed up the download with the official patcher.

First you have to make a DHCP reservation for your IP address, just to make sure your IP doesnt change.

Next open up ports on the router to forward to your IP address. (55296-55551 TCP and UDP, 443 UDP) needs to be open. Also ensure that UPnP is enabled on your router as well.

Finally a lot of people do no realize this but, some AntiVirus/Firewalls will block UPnP. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and UPnP was block by default. So you should check that UPnP on your host based firewall is open as well.

Once you have that all set up, you should be able to get 20+ connections and download speeds of 900K+. Alternatively you can just plug your PC directly into the modem and turn off your firewall and download the patch that way.


I can confirm this, once you forward the appropriate ports the downloader works fine. It sucked for a while during the beta, where it would get stuck on 97% all the time, but the last few patches have downloaded perfectly so I think they've got the bugs worked out.
#12 Sep 18 2010 at 12:07 AM Rating: Decent
You don't need to port forward all the ports. Only the port configured in the FFXIV Config.

Everyone keeps saying to forward (55296-55551 TCP and UDP, 443 UDP) but that's just not true. Its especially not true if you have more then one person on your network that plays FFXIV. You only accept initial incoming connections on the port you specify on the config.

Also if you have UPNP enabled on your route that helps too as the updater ties to use UPNP to automatically work with your router to dynamically forward the ports. If UPNP is disabled on the router it prevents that function.
____________________________
FFXIV - Sirius Vega - Kashuan - Something Witty Linkshell
FFXI - Vang - 75RDM - Diabolos - Retired
#13 Sep 18 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate all the help here. Im still having problems though. Im clearly going to have to sort this before final release, unless I go the torrent route. Can I explain how I have the Gigaset 587 router set up regarding forwarding then maybe someone in the know can tell if if its right. Here goes. I have 3 entries in the applications and gaming section of the router.
protocol. tcp public port 55296 local port 55551
protocol. udp public port 55296 local port 55551
protocol. udp public port 443 local port 443.

This is followed by my static ip address at the end of each entry. I have DHCP enabled
and UpnP enabled. Im still not sure if these entries are correct as I read somewhere that the public and local ports should be the same in each case. Hope someone can check this out.




Edited, Sep 18th 2010 4:32pm by dopybks
#14 Sep 18 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
I'll fire up the launcher on launch day and if i see less then 100kb after it gets going, utorrent it will be.
____________________________

#15 Sep 18 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Default
The updater just blows really. Even when you have all the ports forwarded, ect, its still slow. If you can use another client like uTorrent you will see much better speeds. I don't even bother letting the updater try and finish anymore I go straight for the uTorrent.
____________________________
FFXIV - Sirius Vega - Kashuan - Something Witty Linkshell
FFXI - Vang - 75RDM - Diabolos - Retired
#16 Sep 19 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Decent
SkepticalChymist wrote:
The updater just blows really. Even when you have all the ports forwarded, ect, its still slow. If you can use another client like uTorrent you will see much better speeds. I don't even bother letting the updater try and finish anymore I go straight for the uTorrent.


The trouble with doing it that way is that you never give yourself an opportunity to notice when they've made improvements to the patcher, which they have. The last couple of patches, I've let the patcher do the work and it was fine. If XIV really does ship with a 6gb download required on release, I'll be bypassing the patcher if it can't hit > 500kb/s within the first few minutes but for the little patches we've been getting, the hassle of navigating the XIV folders for the metafile(s) and then copy/pasting the finished downloads isn't worth it.
#17 Sep 19 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I usually give it about 5 minutes to show some progress - see none and take matters into my own hands. I still never get remote connections. I've had 1 patch - 1! Actually DL without a problem. The rest either got stuck at 94.8 or whatever per cent - or didn't start at all. The downloader sucks.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#18 Sep 19 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
Quote:

The trouble with doing it that way is that you never give yourself an opportunity to notice when they've made improvements to the patcher, which they have. The last couple of patches, I've let the patcher do the work and it was fine. If XIV really does ship with a 6gb download required on release, I'll be bypassing the patcher if it can't hit > 500kb/s within the first few minutes but for the little patches we've been getting, the hassle of navigating the XIV folders for the metafile(s) and then copy/pasting the finished downloads isn't worth it.


My wife still uses the SE patches. I always finish my patches way quicker.

Even if they do get it to a point where its better it really does not matter which method you use because they both do the exact same thing.
____________________________
FFXIV - Sirius Vega - Kashuan - Something Witty Linkshell
FFXI - Vang - 75RDM - Diabolos - Retired
#19 Sep 19 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I usually give it about 5 minutes to show some progress - see none and take matters into my own hands. I still never get remote connections. I've had 1 patch - 1! Actually DL without a problem. The rest either got stuck at 94.8 or whatever per cent - or didn't start at all. The downloader sucks.


All I'm saying is that if/when SE gets the patcher tuned properly so that it clips along at the same pace as a third party torrent client, it will be easier to use the patcher to do the download + install. If you get in the habit of never even trying the patcher, you're never going to know if it has been fixed, are you?
#20 Sep 19 2010 at 1:23 PM Rating: Default
I'm sure I'll hear about it on the forums..... And again, does it really matter if I use the main patches or a 3rd party program? Not really.
____________________________
FFXIV - Sirius Vega - Kashuan - Something Witty Linkshell
FFXI - Vang - 75RDM - Diabolos - Retired
#21 Sep 19 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
**
723 posts
I still don't get all the fuss about the patcher. If you forward your ports properly, it'll use all of your bandwidth and update quickly. I have a 45/35 mbps connection and it takes about 5 minutes to get to a point where it's using all of my bandwidth, which is normal for peer to peer.
#22 Sep 20 2010 at 10:19 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Jeraziah, can you scroll up the posts and look at my thread about how I have forwarded with the Gigaset 587 please. Im just trying to find out if Ive done this right or not. I still cant get it to work and if Im still doing it wrong, then there is no hope for me! Seriouslly though, we are getting near to release and wont be pleased if I cant play the game because I cant download it, and who is to say whether or or the patcher is going to be the same after release?
Failing that, is there anyone brave enough to give me step by step instructions on how to use a torrent, it would be much appreciated.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 12:35pm by dopybks
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)