Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Utorrent at launchFollow

#1 Sep 17 2010 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
Hey guys, a question. At launch after downloading and installing the DVD and then going on to the patcher, wont the 6GB patch be like (just a random number) 5000 files? I know in beta we had a few main files and such so it wasn't a big deal. But come launch for that original patch, won't it take forever to use another torrent program to do this if SE's updater is garbage?

I have just now (for beta) learned how to use utorrent and it worked great. No matter what i did i couldnt get the SE patcher to d/l more then 5kb/s. I opened all ports people told me to do as well as putting my computer in DMZ mode. Nothing would work for me (using ATT uverse btw).

I just remember on the big patch days for XI seeing 100/1924 files updated and such. So if i am having this same problem with the official launcher come the 22nd do you have to manually open up all 5 million files with utorrent? I'm still learning the process and am confused how this will work. Or is it there is just one patch folder that can be opened with utorrent or what not and it will be able to do that.

Or am i just getting ahead of myself lol and people dont have a clue. Just figuring you torrent guys should know the process come launch day with 6gb or so to download.

Thanks in advance.
____________________________

#2 Sep 17 2010 at 8:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
152 posts
I'm hoping they have since dumped the whole 5,000 separate files thing from ffxi since they're torrenting the files now. If beta has been any indication, they have;)

I'm just hoping they'll release a patch that makes the Onion Helm look less like a "feather duster head condom":/
#3 Sep 17 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
Quote:
I'm just hoping they'll release a patch that makes the Onion Helm look less like a "feather duster head condom":/


HAHA! I agree 100% with that. And i guess i never thought since they are using the torrent system that may change how things work. Thanks for that, like i said i am new to the whole torrent thing :) Rate up!

____________________________

#4 Sep 17 2010 at 8:54 PM Rating: Excellent
When you downloaded the beta client, it included a 4.7GB file. That was the entire client.

When you get the retail version, the client will be on the DVDs. You'll install them to your PC from those DVDs. You won't have to download another multi-gigabyte file. There will almost certainly be at least on patch download on release day, but it's not going to be anywhere near as large as the initial beta client.

SE is archiving the patches so that it's one file to download and then it unarchives and installs.
#5 Sep 17 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
When you downloaded the beta client, it included a 4.7GB file. That was the entire client.

When you get the retail version, the client will be on the DVDs. You'll install them to your PC from those DVDs. You won't have to download another multi-gigabyte file. There will almost certainly be at least on patch download on release day, but it's not going to be anywhere near as large as the initial beta client.

SE is archiving the patches so that it's one file to download and then it unarchives and installs.


Do i misunderstand the whole 15GB from DVD and another 6GB patch that SE has on their website for their requirements?

EDIT: They must have changed their site around that link went to something new lol *shrug*


http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info There that seems like the right link. Am i misunderstanding the requirements? I understand the main client is on the DVD(s) but underneath that it has a download requirement of 6GB.

Edited, Sep 17th 2010 10:59pm by Suhee

Edited, Sep 17th 2010 11:09pm by Suhee

Edited, Sep 17th 2010 11:13pm by Suhee
____________________________

#6 Sep 17 2010 at 9:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
Also instead of making a new thread, ill just ask this here. Is PhysX enabled for this game? Or i guess does it really do anything worth while? I have a new card coming and want to throw my gts 250 in for this. Other then hearing about it, i dont even know what PhysX does lol.
____________________________

#7 Sep 17 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
Suhee wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
When you downloaded the beta client, it included a 4.7GB file. That was the entire client.

When you get the retail version, the client will be on the DVDs. You'll install them to your PC from those DVDs. You won't have to download another multi-gigabyte file. There will almost certainly be at least on patch download on release day, but it's not going to be anywhere near as large as the initial beta client.

SE is archiving the patches so that it's one file to download and then it unarchives and installs.


Do i misunderstand the whole 15GB from DVD and another 6GB patch that SE has on their website for their requirements?

EDIT: They must have changed their site around that link went to something new lol *shrug*


http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info There that seems like the right link. Am i misunderstanding the requirements? I understand the main client is on the DVD(s) but underneath that it has a download requirement of 6GB.


As far as I know, the download requirement is just temporary workspace for patches. I can't imagine any MMO developer requiring you to download 6gb worth of content in addition to the media you installed from the retail box. Small patches that represent changes they've made to the game from the time the discs were printed until release, yes, not 6gb worth of additional content. Unless I'm mistaken, they're just indicating that you should avoid jamming your drive full to the nuts after installing XIV in order to prevent issues with downloading and install future patches and content additions.
#8 Sep 17 2010 at 9:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1284668596301028228&page=1

On the second page. An email someone supposedly got from SE. If only 15GB come on the discs and we have a 6GB patch lol. Some people may not be able to get into the game till the 30th. I think i would be rather ticked if this happens to be the case. Even a good torrent would take a good chunk of time lol.

edit: unless of course myself and a few other people from this site misinterpreted it.

Edited, Sep 17th 2010 11:36pm by Suhee
____________________________

#9 Sep 17 2010 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Suhee wrote:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1284668596301028228&page=1

On the second page. An email someone supposedly got from SE. If only 15GB come on the discs and we have a 6GB patch lol. Some people may not be able to get into the game till the 30th. I think i would be rather ticked if this happens to be the case. Even a good torrent would take a good chunk of time lol.

edit: unless of course myself and a few other people from this site misinterpreted it.


It says right in the e-mail that you won't have to download the initial install. Even if SE does decide to be ridiculous and volunteer to have people stuck trying to use the patcher to install 6gb on release day, there is information floating around that can help you get the patches much faster (I got the 4.7gb beta client in about 2 hours).
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)