Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Good Article on Japanese GamersFollow

#1 Sep 20 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/western-games-japan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gamelife+%28Blog+-+Game|Life%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Some points of interest...

Quote:
Japanese gamers have very specific tastes, often embracing the polar opposite of what sells in the rest of the world. Open-world games like Fallout and Grand Theft Auto emphasize the player’s freedom to do whatever he wants, which doesn’t fly in Japan.
“They want a guided experience,” says Campbell. “They want their hands held. They want the familiar. They don’t want new. When you go against that, they get angry.”


Quote:
Part of the problem seems to be a total lack of exposure among Japanese gamers — and, perhaps more importantly, among Japanese game developers — when it comes to high-end videogames like Halo and Grand Theft Auto, with their lush graphics and open worlds.

“I’ve come across Japanese development companies as recently as two years ago where the engineers, the designers of the game, owned a PS2, a PSP, a Wii and a DS,” says Campbell. “I’ve sat people down with a next-gen game, and they thought they were watching a cut scene until I gave them a controller. I was like, ‘No, this is what people in the West play.’”

#2 Sep 20 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
90 posts
I'm sorry but Halo and GTA are "Not" high end games. Afraid of the new? umm yah cause the wii isn't new? and everyone is trying to copy their innovation.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 3:06pm by Abhy
#3 Sep 20 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Pretty sad.
____________________________

#4 Sep 20 2010 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
**
782 posts
Quote:
I'm sorry but Halo and GTA are "Not" high end games.


They may not be your cup of tea but, yes, they are in fact high value franchises.
#5 Sep 20 2010 at 1:08 PM Rating: Good
**
782 posts

Quote:
Pretty sad.


I find the whole thing to be a little odd, especially the hand holding part... When has a hand ever been held through any of the square games?
#6 Sep 20 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
441 posts
windexy wrote:

Quote:
Pretty sad.


I find the whole thing to be a little odd, especially the hand holding part... When has a hand ever been held through any of the square games?


Um... FFXIII? lol dont think ya got to go in anything but a straight line to the boss for what? 25 hours
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#7 Sep 20 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
I don't recall being overwhelmed with choices/freedom to choose like I did with FFXI in comparison to GTA (which was still a good game). Honestly, the individual who wrote this, in my opinion is generalizing. It's like saying that ALL NA players want to do is play Call of Duty Online. I hope that someone isn't paying this person.
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#8 Sep 20 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Myzldas wrote:
windexy wrote:

Quote:
Pretty sad.


I find the whole thing to be a little odd, especially the hand holding part... When has a hand ever been held through any of the square games?


Um... FFXIII? lol dont think ya got to go in anything but a straight line to the boss for what? 25 hours


Maybe that's 1...but thinking of all the other FFs...XI especially...they're like the exact opposite of a guided experience & hand-holding...
Saying they want those things seems to contradict their love for FF & other SE games...

You'd also think they'd embrace more western games if they wanted hand-holding...doesn't add up to me...



Edited, Sep 20th 2010 3:17pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#9 Sep 20 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
90 posts
Wasn't FF13 dumbed down and half the content cut due to the lolXbox, would have been like 15 discs for the xbox.
#10 Sep 20 2010 at 1:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
782 posts
Quote:
Um... FFXIII? lol dont think ya got to go in anything but a straight line to the boss for what? 25 hours


Pretty much all FF games are this way. The first half is linear and the second half becomes more opened.

People complaining FFXIII was too linear I assume would also complain when the next Zelda consists of: start quest by finding sword and a few other items to potentially rescue the princess, once complete all **** breaks loose rendering everything except finding the sword useless, and then requires you find the hidden/missing/broken pieces of the tri-force.
#11 Sep 20 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
Quote:
Wasn't FF13 dumbed down and half the content cut due to the lolXbox, would have been like 15 discs for the xbox.


FF games have been getting progressively easier and more linear as graphics get better. The disk space, and time it takes to make up current gen graphics are too much. Its the same reason they say that to make FF7 with current gen technology would take 10+ years. After all the pretty settings and cutscenes, theres no room left for sidequests.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 3:25pm by KujaKoF
____________________________


#12 Sep 20 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Excellent
*
207 posts
I'm thinking the writer completely missed the point. It's not open worlds and choices, it's the game types themselves. I myself much prefer an RPG better overall then a shooter. Mainly it comes down to the gameplay itself, graphics are nice but I've yet to encounter a good immersive RPG on the next gen platforms. Really went it comes to an RPG on a console the only thing memorable was Oblivion, and that's been out for a 'coons age now. (Always wanted to say use that.)

The majority of games these days just aren't the experience that they used to be. They are generally too short, I've gone from sinking 90+ hours into goods games, to experiences that last 8 hours, maybe 16 if it's got some replayability.

Aside from XIV, the only thing I'm really looking forward to in the near future is hoping Fable 3 lives up to my expectations. (Come on Diablo 3)
#13 Sep 20 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:

FF games have been getting progressively easier and more linear as graphics get better. The disk space, and time it takes to make up current gen graphics are too much. Its the same reason they say that to make FF7 with current gen technology would take 10+ years.

As a game development worker, I can tell you this is not necessarily a valid excuse. You can use the same ammount of 'pieces' to make an extremely linear game, or a more open world game. The difference happens at the game/level designer's desk. More often than not, it's a case of those guys phoning it in.

You can build a world that's linear and shaped like this:
 
Start -----> Event-------> Event-------> End


Or you could use the same amount of stuff, but chop it up and place the world differently, and make it feel more like an open world:
 
Event <-------> Start <-------->Event 
                  ^ 
                  | 
                  | 
                  | 
                  V 
                 End 

Making you go back to the 'start' between 'event's. You end up with the same content, but it feels more like a world you're free to explore rather than just one long hallway you're perpetually moving forward through. Doesn't take more storage, artist time, anything. Just needs a little actual brain work by the guy in charge of that design.

Also I do not believe it would take 10 years to make FF7 with current gen graphics. All it really would be is making all the monsters and character models over (there's not THAT many, a lot less than recent FF's), and the environments could just be made 3d like all other recent FF's. It would take no longer than any modern FF takes to make. ESPECIALLY if they don't change anything in the story and battle systems, and purely make it a graphic/music update.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 3:44pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#14 Sep 20 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
Laudatio wrote:
I'm thinking the writer completely missed the point. It's not open worlds and choices, it's the game types themselves. I myself much prefer an RPG better overall then a shooter. Mainly it comes down to the gameplay itself, graphics are nice but I've yet to encounter a good immersive RPG on the next gen platforms. Really went it comes to an RPG on a console the only thing memorable was Oblivion, and that's been out for a 'coons age now. (Always wanted to say use that.)

The majority of games these days just aren't the experience that they used to be. They are generally too short, I've gone from sinking 90+ hours into goods games, to experiences that last 8 hours, maybe 16 if it's got some replayability.

Aside from XIV, the only thing I'm really looking forward to in the near future is hoping Fable 3 lives up to my expectations. (Come on Diablo 3)


I prefer rpg's to shooters... except maybe portal... and DEFINITLY looking forward to getting portal2

most games now are more "great graphics mediocre gameplay" it seems to all be about the pretty flashing lights more than the substance.. personally i'd prefer a longer game that doesnt have all that great graphics if it has a storyline that lasts like 80 or so gameplay hours lol
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#15 Sep 20 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
Quote:
As a game development worker, I can tell you this is not necessarily a valid excuse. You can use the same ammount of 'pieces' to make an extremely linear game, or a more open world game. The difference happens at the game/level designer's desk. More often than not, it's a case of those guys phoning it in.

You can build a world that's linear and shaped like this:


Start -----> Event-------> Event-------> End



Or you could use the same amount of stuff, but chop it up and place the world differently, and make it feel more like an open world:


Event <-------> Start <-------->Event
^
|
|
|
V
End


Making you go back to the 'start' between 'event's. You end up with the same content, but it feels more like a world you're free to explore rather than just one long hallway you're perpetually moving forward through. Doesn't take more storage, artist time, anything. Just needs a little actual brain work by the guy in charge of that design.

Also I do not believe it would take 10 years to make FF7 with current gen graphics. All it really would be is making all the monsters and character models over (there's not THAT many, a lot less than recent FF's), and the environments could just be made 3d like all other recent FF's. It would take no longer than any modern FF takes to make.



I do agree with your point of being able to make a world "feel" more open, thats an option alot of games take. Mass effect 2 for example, has the ship and hub planets, and then has all missions take place in an instance.

Regarding FF7 being remade with current gen tech, the point I guess I didn't stress enough was that the game itself is several times larger than say FF13. Basically what I'm getting at is that if FF13, a game with about 40 hours of content, took up 1 blu ray / 3 dvds (sorry I dont know the actual size of the files). FF7 for all its content was closer to 80-100 hours, so it'd require double the space, and close to double the time.
____________________________


#16 Sep 20 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
544 posts
I think its an interesting read. It could give insight as to why its so **** hard to get them to listen to us when we have asked for change in 11. Its a good article to read, even if its opinion based.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#17 Sep 20 2010 at 1:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
Quote:
Basically what I'm getting at is that if FF13, a game with about 40 hours of content, took up 1 blu ray / 3 dvds (sorry I dont know the actual size of the files). FF7 for all its content was closer to 80-100 hours, so it'd require double the space, and close to double the time.

It's still a BS excuse. FF7 was longer because of the part where you can go grind around the wold finishing materias and killing optional bosses etc. You could speed through the game from start to end if you didn't care about that, just as fast as you could any other FF.

For example FFX-2 is a pretty 'short' feeling game if you just follow the story missions. But my little sister got hardcore into it, hunting special bosses and delving into the 100 level dungeon + required gear/grinding to make it down there. She was going for 100% completion. Her play time was past 100 hours in the end.

Again, FF7 would take no longer to re-make than any other FF. Especially since it would be purely about 'making' it, and would have to waste no time designing, writing, and composing original content from scratch. It would take no more time than any other project.

They just don't want to do it.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 4:01pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#18 Sep 20 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
But see thats my point. every extra cave would need to be fully drawn up. The game had more inhabitable space that would need to be added, and takes up space and time. The only way they could make it take up as little space as FFXIII did, they would have to cut out all the bonus stuff. You're right that hours isn't the best way to describe the size of a game. yeah, they'd save design time on the gameplay and story, but animating every cutscene and designing every location would take forever.
____________________________


#19 Sep 20 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,815 posts
You sir, are now talking out of your ***. You may think you know what you're saying, but take it from someone who's career this is, you don't. IT WOULD TAKE NO LONGER THAN ANY OTHER MODERN FF. They would have to cut out exactly nothing. They're already saving time by not having to conceptualize a **** thing, and storage space is a non-issue in the blu-ray age.

Stop changing your approach to explaining it, accept that what you're thinking is false.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 4:13pm by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#20 Sep 20 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Default
**
621 posts
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#21 Sep 20 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
*
108 posts
I like to think they'd rather play a good game than a pretty one, and that's why they don't play many Western games. Western gaming is stuck in a rut right now, where graphics are more important than gameplay because the target audience has shifted to be more mainstream and "good graphics" is a demonstrable improvement over what came before and hopefully over your competitor's product. So much time has to be spent on graphics (and by extension all art assets including crafting the game world) there's not enough time left to make it fun beyond "Oh wow check out those sick graphics! This game is awesome!"

Anyone who's been gaming for a while has seen hundreds of 3D shooters. There comes a time when you realize Halo 3 is essentially Quake with more polygons and shield health. That's not to say Japanese games aren't equally as derivative (they're probably more so), they just spend less time making it pretty and more time making the derivative experience fun. And yes, a derivative experience can be fun.
#22 Sep 20 2010 at 2:20 PM Rating: Decent
*
108 posts
Sweet double post

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 4:21pm by DragoonRising
#23 Sep 20 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
Please, help me then. Explain to me how creating 1 real city and about 20 environments in FF13 takes the same time as creating midgar + 6-7 other towns + 30-40 other dungeons/enviroments. I don't do graphic design for software and am curious. Please give an answer thats better than "Trust me I work in games".

maybe I'm overestimating how long it takes to design an environment and render it.
____________________________


#24 Sep 20 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
The groundwork is already layed out from the original game, there is no design stage, all there would be to do is construct. your underestemating how long it takes.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 6:18pm by ashuramaru
#25 Sep 20 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I don't like shooting games either - I think they're vapid and I don't find them fun...
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#26 Sep 20 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.


O.o seriously?
can you give some examples how the JP has been leading the world for decades?


#27 Sep 20 2010 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
811 posts
Devildawgs wrote:
insanekangaroo wrote:
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.


O.o seriously?
can you give some examples how the JP has been leading the world for decades?




Nintendo... Sega... Playstation...
#28 Sep 20 2010 at 4:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Capcom, Sega, Nintendo, Koei/Tecmo, Namco, SE. Outside of shooters the most successfull games of most genres are the resault of japanese publishers.
#29 Sep 20 2010 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
My Japanese girlfriend actually didn't know there were games companies outside of Japan.

lolll

I don't really have any interest in FPS or criminal simulation games, so I can see why they don't like that aspect of western games.

Edited, Sep 20th 2010 6:47pm by Dizmo
#30 Sep 20 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,041 posts
ashuramaru wrote:
Capcom, Sega, Nintendo, Koei/Tecmo, Namco, SE. Outside of shooters the most successfull games of most genres are the resault of japanese publishers.


Shh, if it's not Blizzard or Bioware it doesn't exist. Though yeah..it seems people like to ignore the contributions to gaming since the 70s that Japan has made whenever this topic comes up.
#31 Sep 20 2010 at 4:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
207 posts
Quite honestly I can't really say I'm surprised. There are loads of Japanese games out there that the rest of the world never hears of. We are lucky that a few catch someones eye and finally get translated for us. Not that all of those are always the best of games... but that hardly applies just to them.
#32 Sep 20 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Basically what I'm getting at is that if FF13, a game with about 40 hours of content, took up 1 blu ray / 3 dvds (sorry I dont know the actual size of the files). FF7 for all its content was closer to 80-100 hours, so it'd require double the space, and close to double the time.
40 hours is a very lowballed estimate. Plus, once you added the extra content in Gran Pulse, that's going to put you around the same play time as FF7. Keep in mind that extra content tends to be very small in terms of disk space, since you (normally) aren't adding entire new maps or new cutscenes.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#33 Sep 20 2010 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
Even then we only get a limited release Took me months to find a store that had Disgaea 3, but oh god was it worth it.
#34 Sep 20 2010 at 5:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Devildawgs wrote:
insanekangaroo wrote:
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.


O.o seriously?
can you give some examples how the JP has been leading the world for decades?




Nintendo... Sega... Playstation...

With the exception of the Wii none have been "Leading the world" the past decade, Japan sure, the world no. Btw your bringing up consoles... the op was about games....
#35 Sep 20 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,041 posts
Devildawgs wrote:
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Devildawgs wrote:
insanekangaroo wrote:
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.


O.o seriously?
can you give some examples how the JP has been leading the world for decades?




Nintendo... Sega... Playstation...

With the exception of the Wii none have been "Leading the world" the past decade, Japan sure, the world no. Btw your bringing up consoles... the op was about games....


Which with the exception of the Xbox, are played on Japanese consoles.
#36 Sep 20 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Default
nintendo sega and sony are also games developers/publishers, Sega don't even make gaming platforms any more.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 2:26pm by ashuramaru
#37 Sep 20 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
575 posts
Myzldas wrote:
windexy wrote:

Quote:
Pretty sad.


I find the whole thing to be a little odd, especially the hand holding part... When has a hand ever been held through any of the square games?


Um... FFXIII? lol dont think ya got to go in anything but a straight line to the boss for what? 25 hours


Um... FFXII?
#38 Sep 20 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Devildawgs wrote:
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Devildawgs wrote:
insanekangaroo wrote:
I disagree. The Japanese game industry has been leading the world for decades. This article is crap.


O.o seriously?
can you give some examples how the JP has been leading the world for decades?




Nintendo... Sega... Playstation...

With the exception of the Wii none have been "Leading the world" the past decade, Japan sure, the world no. Btw your bringing up consoles... the op was about games....


What are you looking for me to say? This past decade in North America? ... ok you win... North America is obsessed with FPS and mob-type/criminal killing/destruction games.
#39 Sep 20 2010 at 5:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
421 posts
bsphil wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Basically what I'm getting at is that if FF13, a game with about 40 hours of content, took up 1 blu ray / 3 dvds (sorry I dont know the actual size of the files). FF7 for all its content was closer to 80-100 hours, so it'd require double the space, and close to double the time.
40 hours is a very lowballed estimate. Plus, once you added the extra content in Gran Pulse, that's going to put you around the same play time as FF7. Keep in mind that extra content tends to be very small in terms of disk space, since you (normally) aren't adding entire new maps or new cutscenes.

I had about 100 hours of playtime on my first run through and I wasn't even close to 1 maxed weapon for each character, let alone 5 starring each hunt.

In 7 I also had a save with close to 200 hours trying to do everything I can, but then I think 10 wins if it comes to hours spend playing the game. First I played the game through until there was nothing left then I started fresh and stopped doing anything when I reached Blitzball. I only stopped playing when I wanted better players, I think I had close to 800 hours on that savegame. I really liked that mini game :)
____________________________
FFXIV: Dennis Galen - FSH 50 | CRP 38 | LEA 27 | WEA 25 | CON 9 - Selbina server
FFXIV: Dennis Ramuh - CON 7 | ALC 7 - Selbina server
FFXI: Dennis - Hume Rank 10 Bastok - Ramuh server - LS: PandemoniumKnights
60 Summoner
75 Black Mage | 75 White Mage
75 Red Mage | AlchaFisherMage
Alchemy 93,1 +2 | Fish 100 | Gold 32
Wood 22 | Cooking 15 | Smith 14 | Leather 9
#40 Sep 20 2010 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
Don't default the guy just for posting the article, he's not the one expressing those opinions. It really just draws attention to what Japanese businesses think of themselves. Whether or not they are right, and whether or not that is a healthy mentality to have is up for question, but it's important not to hold that against them just for thinking a particular way.
#41 Sep 20 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
ashuramaru wrote:
Capcom, Sega, Nintendo, Koei/Tecmo, Namco, SE. Outside of shooters the most successfull games of most genres are the resault of japanese publishers.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNVooOPkyaw

STREET FIGHTER!!

Good example of a game company listening to their fans, keeping the classic elements in *GOOD IDEA* with each release.

Ryu/Ken... <3
#42 Sep 20 2010 at 10:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Boy do I want to kick this arrogant American's ***.
It really is a shame such idiots are allowed to live here.
No, rather it is a shame that such people are allowed to live in 2010.
What a f*ing egocentric numbskull.

Quote:

“The term ‘foreign game’ is traditionally an insult — it means ‘low quality.’”


Not true. Civilization, the Total War Series and stuff like Starcraft are quite popular. Point is just we don't buy every low-level high-marketing shooter crap whose only selling point is blood, twitch and gore. In a way you could say: we're the more critical audience.

Quote:

Yo-ge, kuso-ge, goes the saying: “Western game, **** game.”


How come that almost three decades into being a gamer, I never even heard that phrase?

Quote:


Open-world games like Fallout and Grand Theft Auto emphasize the player’s freedom to do whatever he wants, which doesn’t fly in Japan. “They want a guided experience,” says Campbell. “They want their hands held. They want the familiar. They don’t want new. When you go against that, they get angry.”


The difference is not "guided" vs "not guided", numbskull. Which game has vast, extensive tutorials for EVERYTHING? FFXIV or WoW? The problem is that "hey cool ********** lets shoot da innocent ***** in da street and rob a car to sell drugs" just doesn't fit our worldview. Your childish insistence on packing as much mindless blood, gore and rape as possible into whatever game you make just doesn't fit our tastes. You know, there's a life beyond the pre-school attractiveness of unchecked violence. And looking at both countries' criminal statistics, I guess we are on the right track after all.

Quote:

“I’ve come across Japanese development companies as recently as two years ago where the engineers, the designers of the game, owned a PS2, a PSP, a Wii and a DS,” says Campbell. “I’ve sat people down with a next-gen game, and they thought they were watching a cut scene until I gave them a controller. I was like, ‘No, this is what people in the West play.’”


Like, you went to electronic city Akihabara in Tokyo, and told the poor malnurished asian orphan how to hold a controller. What would we do without missionaries like you? Oh, I know. Resort to Sony.

Maybe it was wrong to get upset about such obvious BS. But sorry, I couldn't help it. It's not like we don't "know" what high-tech is. ****, we have Game Centers on every street corner here most Americans (possibly) cannot even dream about. It's just that we are not as easily blinded by flashy lights and graphics. If a game's story/content/theme sucks (according to our tastes and worldviews) a better graphics engine won't rescue it.
#43 Sep 20 2010 at 11:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
I read the article and after the OP quotes I was thinking... this is just another piece of ignorant ranting.

Then I found:
Quote:
The term ‘foreign game’ is traditionally an insult — it means ‘low quality.’
that's a great sample of an ignorant statement, and I was just ready to close the page and come here to debunk the whole thing but in the interest of science I just finish reading the article and I have to said it change my original impression.

There is some serious misinformation/exaggeration in it, but the general idea is quite correct.

If I stand now days in from of the psp shelf in any game store in Japan I find mostly 3 types of titles:

- Digital novels (the like of tokimeki memorial)
- General RPG's, puzzle RPG's, anime-styled RPG's and other types of RPG's which I simply can't classify.
- Fighting games involving mecha battles or Japanese medieval warriors.

I agree they really need to try new things, but I don't think the players are the problem, not so long ago, I invite a co-worker for a session of age of empires II with me and my wife and while we got ready I turned on the ps3 and let him try God of War 3, he was instantly hitched.

Also unlike the article states GTA is pretty popular here.

Ken

Edit:typo

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 5:55am by kenage
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#44 Sep 20 2010 at 11:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I agree they really need to try new things

Thanks for making that decision for us.
#45 Sep 21 2010 at 12:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I agree they really need to try new things

Thanks for making that decision for us.
Pal you know, I respect you, but don't you think the position your are taking towards this article with all that comments about American tastes is making more or less the same mistake that you are pointing?

I'm not Japanese, I just happen to live here, and I honestly feel a lack of game variety lately specially for PSP and DS, perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not trying to take any decision for you, just to express my opinion.

Ken

Edit:typo

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 6:03am by kenage
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#46 Sep 21 2010 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
This article is the personal opinion of the writer himself. No need to get so worked up guys. Sadly, nowadays every Tom, **** and Harry can just state their "opinion" on the internet without giving what they write a second thought.

Quote:
“They want a guided experience,” says Campbell. “They want their hands held. They want the familiar. They don’t want new. When you go against that, they get angry.”


Wow (>...>. The first thing that came into mind is not JP players rather, its 12 year old
*insert stereotypical ciziten of any stereotypical country yourself pls*.


Edited, Sep 21st 2010 2:19am by Humster
____________________________


#47 Sep 21 2010 at 2:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Kenage, I am perfectly fine with your opinion.
If you think there should be more variety (and personally I agree), that's ok.
But we "need" not try out anything if we don't want to. I presume you didn't mean
that literal (like in: those poor children need to be saved and baptized),
but I have become ...unintended allusion... very **** about those sloppy
missionary-style sentences that carry more than a faint note of "we know
better what you should do than you know yourselves".

And about:

Quote:
Pal you know, I respect you, but don't you think the position your are taking towards this article with all that comments about American tastes is making more or less the same mistake that you are pointing?


Yes. Definitely. Even if I am not your Pal and don't care in the slightest way
whether you "respect" me. I was rather upset. Basically I tried to point out the
flaws in his logic, succeeded, and missed the right point to switch to a lower gear.
But sometimes this stupid, stupid we-are-the-center-of-the-world f*ing blatantly
ignorant attitude makes me want to...

Ok, this time I will not miss the right point.
#48 Sep 21 2010 at 2:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Yes. Definitely. Even if I am not your Pal and don't care in the slightest way
whether you "respect" me. I was rather upset. Basically I tried to point out the
flaws in his logic, succeeded, and missed the right point to switch to a lower gear.
But sometimes this stupid, stupid we-are-the-center-of-the-world f*ing blatantly
ignorant attitude makes me want to...
We are ZAM pals =D all of us.

But I agree, the attitude was arrogant and offensive, but as other poster said now anyone is allowed to write their opinion on Internet w/o a second thought.

Not trying to advice you or anything, but if you let your opinion fall victim of such cheap insults your points will more likely be missed.

Peace.

Ken

P.D. I'm Mexican, have had my fair share of "We are the center of the world!!!" type of mentality, but that's the stupid people, every country has some of them.
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#49 Sep 21 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Amen.
Even though I'm not Christian ^.^/

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 4:47am by Rinsui
#50 Sep 21 2010 at 2:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
[*****************, we have Game Centers on every street corner here most Americans (possibly) cannot even dream about. [/quote]

Not American but when I was last in Japan I was in Osaka centre in the big arcade there and found those POD mech games and was almost crying with desperation trying to figure out how to play it! I love how you could register as a pilot and get a card with your data then take it around with you to other arcades. I never played in the end, but a nice JP gamer saw me and took pity on this silly gaijin and let him stand in the cockpit while he gave an english commentary on what was happening.

Found a vid on youtube of it :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDINGKeKS4
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#51 Sep 21 2010 at 3:24 AM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
I see video games as books: It needs to have a story, gameplay isn't that important to me. As far as MMOs go, it should have reasonable character progression & a story.

I'm not really big on games that just push 'gameplay.' As you may have guessed, I'm not that into WRPGs. If I wanted to just play games to "play," I'd find something more productive to do with my time.

IMO, the best type of games are the ones that just drown you in story -- like the Xeno games.






Edited, Sep 21st 2010 5:29am by ghosthacked
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)