Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Hey SE...Follow

#1 Sep 21 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I'd like to give you $12.95 a month. You can take it out of my account automatically like you did for the last 6 years. I'm cool with that.

Why do I need to have some company I've never heard of in the UK charge me instead? And how is it that they have managed to make their billing process and website navigation even more overly complicated and confusing than your *********** of a website?

Why can't I just go onto -your- website and give -you- my credit card, and you just go ahead and charge it every month for me? I mean it's one thing to make a game that is rather unintuitive and convoluted, but must the payment system be unintuitive and convoluted too?

I want you to have my money. Why do you want to make giving it to you as difficult as you possibly can?

Just one final thought: Those casual players you're trying to aim your game at? Best of luck with getting them to figure out how to pay you.

Sincerely,

Mik.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#2 Sep 21 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
What he said.
____________________________
#3 Sep 21 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Do you really want to know a plausible explanation for why they set it up that way, or were you just wanting to rant?
#4 Sep 21 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
**
723 posts
Just use PayPal, it's very easy and took only a couple of minutes. The other method has verifications involved and sounds quite annoying. Well, now that I think of it, PayPal does the same thing with the two small deposits...but I had that setup already so it wasn't an issue. Also, you don't have to do either method tomorrow to play, you should be fine with the free 30 days.
#5 Sep 21 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
It is confusing, but you never need to go to the click-and-buy website. If you go through the squareenix account system then you only need to go through the subsequent pages that come up through there. $2.50 will be charged to your account, however it will be reimbursed the following day. If your bank has a fraud alert on it, then you will have to probably go through your bank then talk to click-and-buy, but I didn't have to go to their site at all.
#6 Sep 21 2010 at 5:42 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SleeplessMickey wrote:
It is confusing, but you never need to go to the click-and-buy website. If you go through the squareenix account system then you only need to go through the subsequent pages that come up through there. $2.50 will be charged to your account, however it will be reimbursed the following day. If your bank has a fraud alert on it, then you will have to probably go through your bank then talk to click-and-buy, but I didn't have to go to their site at all.


So I don't need to do the account verification crap?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Sep 21 2010 at 5:42 PM Rating: Default
I had no problem atall with it, registered my CD key, set up my payment, was 2 minutes closer the servers being up.
#8 Sep 21 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
**
327 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Why can't I just go onto -your- website and give -you- my credit card, and you just go ahead and charge it every month for me? I mean it's one thing to make a game that is rather unintuitive and convoluted, but must the payment system be unintuitive and convoluted too?


This is what got me. I was hoping, since FFXI is sucking funds from my bank acct, shouldn't the same payment option apply? I wasn't expecting to have to fill out forms for some new company I never heard of. Stupid rant on Security, but I was stuck on the "select a password" box for a while, due to needing a Symbol, a Number, and a Capitalized letter. This will be my most hard to remember password to date.
____________________________

FFXI - LordDVS <Bismarck> BLU75 DRK75 SAM75 BST75 PLD75


#9 Sep 21 2010 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
Yabusame wrote:
What he said.



That's what you said.





Smiley: wink Sorry, just waiting until tomorrow when I can get the game and go through setup ****.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#10 Sep 21 2010 at 5:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
61 posts
That is indeed bad news :| I can only pray to Bruce Willis and Allakhazam that we don't have another Warhammer mishap on our hands.

Edit: Lmao, I can't say the CN word. Thats a knee-slapper.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 7:48pm by MoonShooter
#11 Sep 21 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Sorry didn't know people were actually having this much trouble with registering, I went through first try.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 8:01pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#12 Sep 21 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
**
327 posts
Seemed pretty simple and easy for me, although it might depend on the type of card you have, not too sure. I just went through the steps on the SE account management page, and was sent an e-mail with the following in it
"This is to confirm that you have authorized support.na.square-enix.com to debit your ClickandBuy account automatically using our Easy Collect method when you make purchases through Square Enix Account Management System.

We will notify you by email each time you make an Easy Collect purchase."
I didn't seem to need to verify anything afterwards. I do agree using a 3rd party for this is kinda stupid , but this is SE afterall...
____________________________



#13 Sep 21 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
SolidMack wrote:
You found it difficult to go through the process? I think its not SE fault some people are so **** slow in the head...I just registered my card off the SE account management website and it took me all of 5 minutes...


I registered off the SE site, too. I never went to the Click and Buy website at all. And I still had all sorts of issues with rejected addresses and a blocked account. It wasn't a function of me being "slow in the head", it was a function of a slightly broken registration system telling me that all of my registration information was invalid because it didn't like my street address, and then trying to strip the street number out of the address until it finally blocked my account because I had tried so many times to get it to accept my address. When that happened, it told me I had to call or e-mail CnB to unblock my account, and when I did I was told I had to verify. Just because you had an easy time doesn't mean everyone else did or will.
#14 Sep 21 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Regardless, I'd still rather just pay SE.

Not pay Paypal and have them pay SE.
Not buy crysta currency with paypal and have them pay SE
Not pay C&B and have them pay SE.

Me ---My money---> SE

It does not need to be complicated beyond that.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Sep 21 2010 at 5:55 PM Rating: Good
**
603 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SleeplessMickey wrote:
It is confusing, but you never need to go to the click-and-buy website. If you go through the squareenix account system then you only need to go through the subsequent pages that come up through there. $2.50 will be charged to your account, however it will be reimbursed the following day. If your bank has a fraud alert on it, then you will have to probably go through your bank then talk to click-and-buy, but I didn't have to go to their site at all.


So I don't need to do the account verification crap?


Correct, the "account verification" is for click-and-buy purposes, like opening a credit account with them or something. It does not however need to be verified with click-and-buy in order to pay for FFXIV. As long as you get through the pages on the secure.square-enix.com page, then you have nothing to worry about.
#16 Sep 21 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
SleeplessMickey wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SleeplessMickey wrote:
It is confusing, but you never need to go to the click-and-buy website. If you go through the squareenix account system then you only need to go through the subsequent pages that come up through there. $2.50 will be charged to your account, however it will be reimbursed the following day. If your bank has a fraud alert on it, then you will have to probably go through your bank then talk to click-and-buy, but I didn't have to go to their site at all.


So I don't need to do the account verification crap?


Correct, the "account verification" is for click-and-buy purposes, like opening a credit account with them or something. It does not however need to be verified with click-and-buy in order to pay for FFXIV. As long as you get through the pages on the secure.square-enix.com page, then you have nothing to worry about.


I wish I had known that before I did it. They make it sound like you -have- to do it or you can't use that card.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Sep 21 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Regardless, I'd still rather just pay SE.

Not pay Paypal and have them pay SE.
Not buy crysta currency with paypal and have them pay SE
Not pay C&B and have them pay SE.

Me ---My money---> SE

It does not need to be complicated beyond that.


It's never You --> Your money --> SE. That's not how CC payments work. It's You --> Your money --> Acquirer on behalf of SE --> SE. This time around, that acquirer is less transparent than most of us might be used to, but that doesn't mean there's no reason for it.
#18 Sep 21 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Regardless, I'd still rather just pay SE.

Not pay Paypal and have them pay SE.
Not buy crysta currency with paypal and have them pay SE
Not pay C&B and have them pay SE.

Me ---My money---> SE

It does not need to be complicated beyond that.


It was really easy for me when I registered my CC, but I completely agree. Maybe I'm just bitter about the POL nightmare that was my FFXI career but this just seems needlessly complicated, like lighting the hoops on fire before telling you to jump.
#19 Sep 21 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Regardless, I'd still rather just pay SE.

Not pay Paypal and have them pay SE.
Not buy crysta currency with paypal and have them pay SE
Not pay C&B and have them pay SE.

Me ---My money---> SE

It does not need to be complicated beyond that.


It's never You --> Your money --> SE. That's not how CC payments work. It's You --> Your money --> Acquirer on behalf of SE --> SE. This time around, that acquirer is less transparent than most of us might be used to, but that doesn't mean there's no reason for it.


So what -is- the reason behind paying some company in the UK that I've never heard of instead of just having SE taking my money directly once a month like they did through POL?

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 7:59pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#20 Sep 21 2010 at 6:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
183 posts
Quote:
It's never You --> Your money --> SE. That's not how CC payments work. It's You --> Your money --> Acquirer on behalf of SE --> SE. This time around, that acquirer is less transparent than most of us might be used to, but that doesn't mean there's no reason for it.


Even so, it is easy to see what Mik wants. He doesn't want to give money to a company he doesn't know or trust. He'd rather give it to a company he knows won't rob him. A company as big as SE has a billings department, and as such, a third party company seems to be a cheap way of getting out of having to handle their own issues. They may have a myriad of reasons, but I agree, I'd rather have SE be held accountable for my money instead of a company that, for all we know, is a front; that could take all our money and hide in the vapors.
#21 Sep 21 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I'd like to give you $12.95 a month. You can take it out of my account automatically like you did for the last 6 years. I'm cool with that.

Why do I need to have some company I've never heard of in the UK charge me instead? And how is it that they have managed to make their billing process and website navigation even more overly complicated and confusing than your cluster@#%^ of a website?

Why can't I just go onto -your- website and give -you- my credit card, and you just go ahead and charge it every month for me? I mean it's one thing to make a game that is rather unintuitive and convoluted, but must the payment system be unintuitive and convoluted too?

I want you to have my money. Why do you want to make giving it to you as difficult as you possibly can?

Just one final thought: Those casual players you're trying to aim your game at? Best of luck with getting them to figure out how to pay you.

Sincerely,

Mik.



Hardcore players mail it to SE in pennies. You casual nubs with your debit cards and EFTs and aeroplanes....
#22 Sep 21 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:

Even so, it is easy to see what Mik wants. He doesn't want to give money to a company he doesn't know or trust. He'd rather give it to a company he knows won't rob him of money. Sanity is fair game. A company as big as SE has a billings department, and as such, a third party company seems to be a cheap way of getting out of having to handle their own issues. They may have a myriad of reasons, but I agree, I'd rather have SE be held accountable for my money instead of a company that, for all we know, is a front; that could take all our money and hide in the vapors.


FTFY.
#23 Sep 21 2010 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
instead of just having SE taking my money directly once a month like they did through POL?


SE never took your money directly, a 3rd party card processor did, you just weren't aware of it. Every company does this, they have to as companies can't link directly to Mastercard/Visa/Interac etc without some serious certifications that aren't just handed out. I haven't seen it, it sounds like a crappy system, but the 3rd party thing is nothing new.
#24 Sep 21 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
*
183 posts
Quote:
Hardcore players mail it to SE in pennies. You casual nubs with your debit cards and EFTs and aeroplanes....


what are EFTs? I think I've seen that before. Is that food stamp money?
#25 Sep 21 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Castrophany wrote:
Quote:
Hardcore players mail it to SE in pennies. You casual nubs with your debit cards and EFTs and aeroplanes....


what are EFTs? I think I've seen that before. Is that food stamp money?


Electronic Funds Transfers
#26 Sep 21 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Castrophany wrote:
Quote:
Hardcore players mail it to SE in pennies. You casual nubs with your debit cards and EFTs and aeroplanes....


what are EFTs? I think I've seen that before. Is that food stamp money?


Electronic Fund Transfer; e.g. Western Union
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#27 Sep 21 2010 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
*
183 posts
Quote:
Electronic Funds Transfers

Oh. I'm thinking of EBT.
#28 Sep 21 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
Electronic **** Transfer? They've had websites for that for years.
#29 Sep 21 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I'd like to give you $12.95 a month. You can take it out of my account automatically like you did for the last 6 years. I'm cool with that.

Why do I need to have some company I've never heard of in the UK charge me instead? And how is it that they have managed to make their billing process and website navigation even more overly complicated and confusing than your cluster@#%^ of a website?

Why can't I just go onto -your- website and give -you- my credit card, and you just go ahead and charge it every month for me? I mean it's one thing to make a game that is rather unintuitive and convoluted, but must the payment system be unintuitive and convoluted too?

I want you to have my money. Why do you want to make giving it to you as difficult as you possibly can?

Just one final thought: Those casual players you're trying to aim your game at? Best of luck with getting them to figure out how to pay you.

Sincerely,

Mik.


I used the CaB method of setting up my account payment and it really didn't take me long at all. I just checked my bank account in another window after verifying and the amounts were right there for me to type into the CaB verification page. I don't understand why people have problems following simple instructions. Apparently nowadays people don't think they need to actually read the directions for anything I guess.
____________________________
Pookalu Wookalu
Plainsfolk Lala/Bodhum
Mains:THM5/BOT5/FSH5/ALC9

"Life is a fading memory, eternity is but a dream"
#30 Sep 21 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,526 posts
SDarkshayde wrote:
I used the CaB method of setting up my account payment and it really didn't take me long at all. I just checked my bank account in another window after verifying and the amounts were right there for me to type into the CaB verification page. I don't understand why people have problems following simple instructions. Apparently nowadays people don't think they need to actually read the directions for anything I guess.


I think the issue is more about the lack of intuitiveness (ya ya). I certainly won't be linking my BANK account to a company in another country that I've never heard of, I mean, that's just stupid. I know that's not required, but from what I'm reading it's the direction they point you in.
#31 Sep 21 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Castrophany wrote:
Quote:
Hardcore players mail it to SE in pennies. You casual nubs with your debit cards and EFTs and aeroplanes....


what are EFTs? I think I've seen that before. Is that food stamp money?


Electronic Fund Transfer; e.g. Western Union


EFT's are not Western Union, those are "Quick Collect's"

EFT is is simply what was said, an electronic funds transfer, usually done via ACH (Automated Clearing House), i.e. every time you get a Direct Deposit paycheck into your checking account.

I understand some of the frustration about this process, but honestly, it's nothing new. What they are doing is called a "trial deposit" verification method, and it's done by many places. It's for your security, so just suck it up and quit your ******** and moaning.
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#32 Sep 21 2010 at 6:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
256 posts
Its really not a big deal. I swear, these forums have turned into a big b*tch fest as of late. Nothing against you Mik (actually I am surprised you are the OP as you really don't contribute to the b*tching much on these forums), but all the b*tching is really making these forums unpleasant.

(yeah yeah, the irony in b*tching about b*tching, right? lol)
____________________________
*Retired :: August 2002 - December 2005*
Raion
Ragnarok Server
Linkshells: DigitalBackSpin, DBSDynamis, CKofVD
PLD75-WAR45-RDM30-BLM30-WHM25-NIN25-THF25-RNG10-BST9
Goldsmith 85, Blacksmith 30
#33 Sep 21 2010 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

So what -is- the reason behind paying some company in the UK that I've never heard of instead of just having SE taking my money directly once a month like they did through POL?


SE are the only folks who could tell you the reason with certainty, but if you understand a bit about the system and you know the history it's not hard to come up with a reasonable explanation.

Not all that long ago, I read about issues SE was having with chargebacks. For a company to come out and make any kind of statement (publicly or even to customers on a one-to-one basis such that word can get around) about a high rate of chargebacks means it's gotta be pretty high. For a company to alter policy in an attempt to deal with their rate of chargebacks also suggests that SE's chargeback frequency was quite high.

A chargeback is what happens when a customer phones their credit card company and says, "I didn't authorize this charge" and the credit card company says, "Okay, we'll reverse the charge and credit the amount to your card." It's great fraud protection for consumers but it can cost companies dearly. Depending on the fee schedule set out by a company's acquirer, there can be a flat fee charged to the company for every chargeback, similar to an NSF fee on a bounced cheque.

Oh, but that's not all. Credit card acquirers keep a percentage of every transaction's value. It's referred to as their "discount". That's how they make their money. That percentage tends to range from 1.9% up to 5%. So if you have a business and I buy something from you with my credit card for $100, the acquirer will keep anywhere from $1.90 to $5 as their fee for handling the transaction. Just what percentage the acquirer charges is based primarily on two things: how much money they collect on your behalf on a monthly basis (more money generally equates to a lower %), and what they assess your risk factor to be (higher risk = higher %). And they can adjust that % based on changes in your business. A high rate of chargebacks equates to a higher risk, so when you've got hundreds/thousands of gilsellers paying for their game accounts with stolen credit cards that wind up as chargebacks to the game developer, not only does the developer get nailed with chargeback fees, they run the very real risk of having their acquirer discount increased. It's a double whammy that's killer for businesses. What makes it especially difficult is that the relationship between a business and their acquirer becomes almost like an informal credit rating, so if your acquirer jacks your discount because you're deemed to be a higher risk than they originally anticipated, you can't always just drop your acquirer and go find another one to start over.

So now that we have an idea of how things happen between business and their acquirers, and we know SE had significant issues with chargebacks for XI, there are at least two plausible reasons for why SE might want to go with a third party fee collector:

1) SE's acquirer discount rose to unacceptable levels and they couldn't find another acquirer who would cut them a break so they're shifting the risk on to a third party and washing their hands on the deal (hence why CnB charges a risk premium)

and/or

2) SE has decided that they don't have the resources to manage the security necessary to reduce the risk of chargebacks in-house, so they've opted to outsource.

Those are just two potential reasons why SE might have gone the route that they have. I can guarantee you it wasn't a decision made on a whim, or just to @#%^ with you, or because SE doesn't know what they're doing. They're taking a risk by going with a third party like this (just ask the folks behind Warhammer what can happen if your third party billing company drops the ball), and no business takes risks like that lightly.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 5:48pm by Aurelius
#34 Sep 21 2010 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
KnocturnalOne wrote:
I understand some of the frustration about this process, but honestly, it's nothing new. What they are doing is called a "trial deposit" verification method, and it's done by many places. It's for your security, so just suck it up and quit your ******** and moaning.


I have to give my money to a site I've never heard of, which has questionable reviews in terms of customer experience around the web, and has nothing to do with the company I wish to spend my money with.

Yeah, I can -totally- see how this system is meant to make me feel like "this is for my security". Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#35 Sep 21 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
656 posts
wait... does this unknown company accept Food Stamps as a payment method?
____________________________
モスタル


#36 Sep 21 2010 at 6:51 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
there are at least two plausible reasons for why SE might want to go with a third party fee collector:

1) SE's acquirer discount rose to unacceptable levels and they couldn't find another acquirer who would cut them a break so they're shifting the risk on to a third party and washing their hands on the deal (hence why CnB charges a risk premium)

and/or

2) SE has decided that they don't have the resources to manage the security necessary to reduce the risk of chargebacks in-house, so they've opted to outsource.

Those are just two potential reasons why SE might have gone the route that they have. I can guarantee you it wasn't a decision made on a whim, or just to @#%^ with you, or because SE doesn't know what they're doing. They're taking a risk by going with a third party like this (just ask the folks behind Warhammer what can happen if your third party billing company drops the ball), and no business takes risks like that lightly.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 5:48pm by Aurelius


Fair enough reasoning, but I still say that I, the consumer, would feel a lot more secure dealing with a company I know and trust and have heard of than some random company in Europe that I've never heard of until 3 hours ago.

EDIT: What do you mean exactly by a "risk premium"?

EDIT2: Company != Country

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 8:56pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Sep 21 2010 at 6:57 PM Rating: Default
**
447 posts
You guys who are all worried realize that nearly EVERY Visa and MC CC or Debit card has fraud protection, right? I mean seriously, if for some reason you are erroneously charged, you WILL get a refund back almost immediately. To be more specific, we give you a temporary credit while your company handles the dispute with the merchant. In almost all cases I have dealt with, it's evident which claims are true vs. those that are false.

Stop whining, seriously, and just do the stupid thing.

And to judge your possible experience based on reviews on the web is atrocious. Search for any Financial company or service, ALL you will see is negative remarks.

This is getting out of hand.
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#38 Sep 21 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Fair enough reasoning, but I still say that I, the consumer, would feel a lot more secure dealing with a company I know and trust and have heard of than some random country in Europe that I've never heard of until 3 hours ago.

EDIT: What do you mean exactly by a "risk premium"?


I saw something here on the forums today about CnB's fee schedule and how they charge a risk premium (3%) on certain types of online transactions.

And you have to keep in mind that, as I said earlier, you're never dealing with the company you're paying directly. It's often just made out to look that way. There is always an acquirer between you and the merchant even if you never see the acquirer's name. Every time you pay for something with a credit card, it goes into a merchant account controlled by the acquirer, not the merchant. From there, the acquirer takes their discount and any other fees (ie. chargebacks) and transfers what is left over into the merchant's bank account. It's a happy little illusion that merchants and acquirers preserve just to keep things simple for consumers. (Ever wonder why a lot of computer hardware stores and some other businesses offer a "cash discount" when you pay by cash/debit? It's because they've adjusted their advertised prices to account for their acquirer discount, which they obviously don't have to pay if you use cash/debit so they pass the savings on to you. It's also why a lot of businesses don't accept American Express; because AE expects their customers to pay in full every month, they don't make nearly as much money in interest as Visa/MC, so to compensate they tend to charge one of the highest base discounts to merchants of any credit card on the market.)
#39 Sep 21 2010 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
KnocturnalOne wrote:
You guys who are all worried realize that nearly EVERY Visa and MC CC or Debit card has fraud protection, right? I mean seriously, if for some reason you are erroneously charged, you WILL get a refund back almost immediately. To be more specific, we give you a temporary credit while your company handles the dispute with the merchant. In almost all cases I have dealt with, it's evident which claims are true vs. those that are false.

Stop whining, seriously, and just do the stupid thing.

And to judge your possible experience based on reviews on the web is atrocious. Search for any Financial company or service, ALL you will see is negative remarks.

This is getting out of hand.


So not wanting to give my bank account information to a company I've never heard of is whining now?

If that's the case, then Prince Burka Durka Ping Ping of Nigeria has a great business offer for you. I know he has some negative reviews, but he's totally legit, I promise.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#40 Sep 21 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Fair enough reasoning, but I still say that I, the consumer, would feel a lot more secure dealing with a company I know and trust and have heard of than some random country in Europe that I've never heard of until 3 hours ago.

EDIT: What do you mean exactly by a "risk premium"?


I saw something here on the forums today about CnB's fee schedule and how they charge a risk premium (3%) on certain types of online transactions.

And you have to keep in mind that, as I said earlier, you're never dealing with the company you're paying directly. It's often just made out to look that way. There is always an acquirer between you and the merchant even if you never see the acquirer's name. Every time you pay for something with a credit card, it goes into a merchant account controlled by the acquirer, not the merchant. From there, the acquirer takes their discount and any other fees (ie. chargebacks) and transfers what is left over into the merchant's bank account. It's a happy little illusion that merchants and acquirers preserve just to keep things simple for consumers. (Ever wonder why a lot of computer hardware stores and some other businesses offer a "cash discount" when you pay by cash/debit? It's because they've adjusted their advertised prices to account for their acquirer discount, which they obviously don't have to pay if you use cash/debit so they pass the savings on to you. It's also why a lot of businesses don't accept American Express; because AE expects their customers to pay in full every month, they don't make nearly as much money in interest as Visa/MC, so to compensate they tend to charge one of the highest base discounts to merchants of any credit card on the market.)


So is that 3% something -I- have to pay on top of the $12.95 a month, or is that something charged to SE and deducted from my payment?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#41 Sep 21 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
So is that 3% something -I- have to pay on top of the $12.95 a month, or is that something charged to SE and deducted from my payment?


As I understood it, it's 3% you have to pay.
#42 Sep 21 2010 at 7:08 PM Rating: Default
**
447 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
KnocturnalOne wrote:
You guys who are all worried realize that nearly EVERY Visa and MC CC or Debit card has fraud protection, right? I mean seriously, if for some reason you are erroneously charged, you WILL get a refund back almost immediately. To be more specific, we give you a temporary credit while your company handles the dispute with the merchant. In almost all cases I have dealt with, it's evident which claims are true vs. those that are false.

Stop whining, seriously, and just do the stupid thing.

And to judge your possible experience based on reviews on the web is atrocious. Search for any Financial company or service, ALL you will see is negative remarks.

This is getting out of hand.


So not wanting to give my bank account information to a company I've never heard of is whining now?

If that's the case, then Prince Burka Durka Ping Ping of Nigeria has a great business offer for you. I know he has some negative reviews, but he's totally legit, I promise.


I agree with most of your threads and posts, but right now you're blowing this out of proportion. Sit back, breath, and think for a minute. I'm sure SE did some due diligence in selecting the company who is "collecting" their funds as they expect payment from them too.

Paypal was new at one time too, you know. Sounds like some of you need some "Who Moved My Cheese" training...

Again, if something happens, I know that I can rest assured I will not be liable if there are fraudulent charges.

Just relax...
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#43 Sep 21 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
So is that 3% something -I- have to pay on top of the $12.95 a month, or is that something charged to SE and deducted from my payment?


As I understood it, it's 3% you have to pay.


That's enough right there to make me cancel click and buy and just use crysta currency.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#44 Sep 21 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3% extra added only if you put money from your credit card into your CaB account? If you're only using CaB to pay directly from your credit card to another company, it won't charge you anything extra.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 6:22pm by Chikama
#45 Sep 21 2010 at 7:22 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I bought some ultimate game cards and then turned them into crysta... I have to say... um. YAY for no playonline! I'd much rather buy a game card or buy crysta with paypal.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 6:22pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#46 Sep 21 2010 at 7:24 PM Rating: Decent
Chikama wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3% extra added only if you put money from your credit card into your CaB account? If you're only using CaB to pay directly from your credit card to another company, it won't charge you anything extra.


To be completely honest, I didn't read it too closely. I was getting everything sorted out early this morning before I left for work and just wanted to get it done so I didn't run into congested servers/long hold times tomorrow.

3% one way or the other isn't going to ruin me. To me, it's so far from being worth getting worked up over that I don't personally care.
#47 Sep 21 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Chikama wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3% extra added only if you put money from your credit card into your CaB account? If you're only using CaB to pay directly from your credit card to another company, it won't charge you anything extra.


To be completely honest, I didn't read it too closely. I was getting everything sorted out early this morning before I left for work and just wanted to get it done so I didn't run into congested servers/long hold times tomorrow.

3% one way or the other isn't going to ruin me. To me, it's so far from being worth getting worked up over that I don't personally care.


I would like to hope that you did just read it wrong.

Whether it's a lot of money or not doesn't matter; It's bad enough to have to give your credit card number to a company you've never heard of, without having to ALSO pay them a 3% fee on top of the fee you're paying for the game.

I dunno, the more I think about this, the more I get a worse and worse feeling. And then there's something else I was told (but am not allowed to repeat) by someone who has had experience with them as a company and... I dunno, the more I hear, the more I think crysta currency is the way to go.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#48 Sep 21 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I would like to hope that you did just read it wrong.

Whether it's a lot of money or not doesn't matter; It's bad enough to have to give your credit card number to a company you've never heard of, without having to ALSO pay them a 3% fee on top of the fee you're paying for the game.

I dunno, the more I think about this, the more I get a worse and worse feeling. And then there's something else I was told (but am not allowed to repeat) by someone who has had experience with them as a company and... I dunno, the more I hear, the more I think crysta currency is the way to go.


From my point of view, I've already spent $84 on the game. I'm going to be playing it until I get sick of it or something better comes along. I'm not thrilled with the options we were given either, but I worked with what I was given, my CE will be here tomorrow (unless the guy I talked to on the phone at EBGames was fibbing to me an hour ago), I'm going to install it, I'm going to register it, I'm going to patch it, and I'm going to play it. That is all. I can't change the way SE is handling payment collection, so I'm not going to worry about it.
#49 Sep 21 2010 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I would like to hope that you did just read it wrong.

Whether it's a lot of money or not doesn't matter; It's bad enough to have to give your credit card number to a company you've never heard of, without having to ALSO pay them a 3% fee on top of the fee you're paying for the game.

I dunno, the more I think about this, the more I get a worse and worse feeling. And then there's something else I was told (but am not allowed to repeat) by someone who has had experience with them as a company and... I dunno, the more I hear, the more I think crysta currency is the way to go.


From my point of view, I've already spent $84 on the game. I'm going to be playing it until I get sick of it or something better comes along. I'm not thrilled with the options we were given either, but I worked with what I was given, my CE will be here tomorrow (unless the guy I talked to on the phone at EBGames was fibbing to me an hour ago), I'm going to install it, I'm going to register it, I'm going to patch it, and I'm going to play it. That is all. I can't change the way SE is handling payment collection, so I'm not going to worry about it.


Just seems absurd to me that our two methods of payment are:

1) Buy fake currency in $5 increments to pay $13 a month, or
2) Give your credit card number to some company you've never heard of.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#50 Sep 21 2010 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
**
292 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I would like to hope that you did just read it wrong.

Whether it's a lot of money or not doesn't matter; It's bad enough to have to give your credit card number to a company you've never heard of, without having to ALSO pay them a 3% fee on top of the fee you're paying for the game.

I dunno, the more I think about this, the more I get a worse and worse feeling. And then there's something else I was told (but am not allowed to repeat) by someone who has had experience with them as a company and... I dunno, the more I hear, the more I think crysta currency is the way to go.


From my point of view, I've already spent $84 on the game. I'm going to be playing it until I get sick of it or something better comes along. I'm not thrilled with the options we were given either, but I worked with what I was given, my CE will be here tomorrow (unless the guy I talked to on the phone at EBGames was fibbing to me an hour ago), I'm going to install it, I'm going to register it, I'm going to patch it, and I'm going to play it. That is all. I can't change the way SE is handling payment collection, so I'm not going to worry about it.


Just seems absurd to me that our two methods of payment are:

1) Buy fake currency in $5 increments to pay $13 a month, or
2) Give your credit card number to some company you've never heard of.


yeah i dont like it either, im still going to do it though so i can play, not my favorite choice though ><
____________________________
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#51 Sep 21 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
218 posts
Chikama wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3% extra added only if you put money from your credit card into your CaB account? If you're only using CaB to pay directly from your credit card to another company, it won't charge you anything extra.

That is what I picked up from over on the core where people been stressing out.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4663/snapt.png

Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Just seems absurd to me that our two methods of payment are:

1) Buy fake currency in $5 increments to pay $13 a month, or
2) Give your credit card number to some company you've never heard of.

Its not their fault you havent heard of them though is it?
ClickandBuy International Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom. (Register Number: 454127)
They have been processing the payments for LOTRO for Codemasters for a while since something happened to world pay.
Biggest complaint I have heard of them is the billing support can be a bit slow.

Anyway relax I had to deal with paying Americans whilst I was playing FFXI, and I didnt freak out.
____________________________
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)