Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

NDA Gone, FFXIV BFF Report postedFollow

#1 Sep 21 2010 at 8:26 PM Rating: Decent
Linky

I like MikeB's work. I don't always agree but they're fun to watch, imo. I enjoyed this one, too.
#2 Sep 21 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
764 posts
Not debating anything said right now, but...

There is a curious amount of 1 posts lavishing him with praise and agreeing with each other. They use similar punctuation and sentence/paragraph format as well.

Just sayin...
____________________________


#3 Sep 21 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
He was wearing way to much makeup
____________________________

#4 Sep 21 2010 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
151 posts
Had a good laugh at the video. The montage was great, although honestly a person could pull up similar things in just about any other game. I hope he goes back and reviews it again in a few months when everything settles though.
____________________________
Flotsam Jetsam - Lindblum
lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1570183
#5 Sep 21 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
764 posts
Quote:
Had a good laugh at the video. The montage was great, although honestly a person could pull up similar things in just about any other game. I hope he goes back and reviews it again in a few months when everything settles though.


I have no qualms with many of the worries people have with FFXIV, but I can hardly say an mmo should be reviewed based on less than a day's play. I still think a lot of those posts are the same person agreeing with themselves no matter how I look at it.
____________________________


#6 Sep 21 2010 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
Silverwyrm wrote:
Quote:
Had a good laugh at the video. The montage was great, although honestly a person could pull up similar things in just about any other game. I hope he goes back and reviews it again in a few months when everything settles though.


I have no qualms with many of the worries people have with FFXIV, but I can hardly say an mmo should be reviewed based on less than a day's play. I still think a lot of those posts are the same person agreeing with themselves no matter how I look at it.


SE has done with XIV what they have been doing for years: they've created a game based on pretty graphics (relative to what other games are doing at release) and leaning heavily on the strength of the XIV franchise to draw consumers.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty about the game I like and with confirmation that the UI functions are now client side, I've only got one real complaint left and it's not enough to make me shy away from the game. I just think that in many regards, SE phoned this one in. The biggest difference between my opinion of XI and XIV is that Komoto inspires me with a lot more confidence in what is to come than Tanaka ever did. I can live with a clunky UI (albeit faster to navigate through the clunk) for a while but eventually, they're going to have to fix it or they're going to suffer for it in their bottom line.
#7 Sep 21 2010 at 9:36 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
852 posts
Sorry, like I said in Mike B's thread. Downright charitable review considering.
____________________________
#8 Sep 21 2010 at 10:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
208 posts
was i the only one who picked up from the start of the review and the entire way out, that the tone of his voice indicated he disliked the game before he even began his little adventure, he has such a mocking/sarcastic tone about stuff because it was new or he didnt get it!

#9 Sep 21 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
hexaemeron wrote:
Sorry, like I said in Mike B's thread. Downright charitable review considering.


I really wish I could flame the **** outta you... The game does have some glaring flaw and the only one I can see him justifying is the copy n' paste job on the terrain. I read your reply in the BFF report thread and it just downright looked as if you were trying to troll the game based on the BETA stage. It was beta for a reason, and reports already show the UI lag has been vastly improved. People have JUST started playing roughly two hours ago since the servers went live so give it until a day or two when people have an actual chance to play the real thing. See what issues still exist at that time, if they still do exist and/or are as bad as they were in beta, then you'll have a valid excuse to complain. But basing a review for flawed stuff (The typos and everything are expected, it was beta... They just quickly threw something together for stress-testing and putting together the final patches on a few untested things.) on a beta is completely rediculous.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#10 Sep 21 2010 at 10:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
I trust nobody that can't shave their face straight. What is up with the crooked racing stripe and why do his brows cover different parts of his eyes? This dude is obviously retarded.
#11 Sep 21 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
*
207 posts
He had some points.. but it was beta version... granted.. people have gotten to more robust betas as well. Killing right at the start would have been easier if he'd not picked Marauder as well... in fact it's quite easy enough to do with a crafting class... Go Go super axe guy of doom! Who actually helps when your not a War/Magic class.
#12 Sep 21 2010 at 10:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
The One and Only SamusKnight wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Sorry, like I said in Mike B's thread. Downright charitable review considering.


I really wish I could flame the **** outta you... The game does have some glaring flaw and the only one I can see him justifying is the copy n' paste job on the terrain. I read your reply in the BFF report thread and it just downright looked as if you were trying to troll the game based on the BETA stage. It was beta for a reason, and reports already show the UI lag has been vastly improved. People have JUST started playing roughly two hours ago since the servers went live so give it until a day or two when people have an actual chance to play the real thing. See what issues still exist at that time, if they still do exist and/or are as bad as they were in beta, then you'll have a valid excuse to complain. But basing a review for flawed stuff (The typos and everything are expected, it was beta... They just quickly threw something together for stress-testing and putting together the final patches on a few untested things.) on a beta is completely rediculous.


You could flame me if you like, but you'd be wrong. They didn't just throw something together. They put a de-content-ified current build of the game up to see how it would handle the client load. They've probably made some changes during the OB, and that's great. However, the game you saw is almost certainly the game you're getting. If that fact makes you happy, then I am happy for you. However, I was so unilaterally unimpressed and downright upset by what I saw that I cancelled my pre-order. I don't reward bad coding and inept game design with my hard-earned money. Maybe when the PS3 launch comes around, I'll give it another look. I don't just buy something because it's Final Fantasy.
____________________________
#13 Sep 21 2010 at 11:00 PM Rating: Decent
Laudatio wrote:
He had some points.. but it was beta version... granted.. people have gotten to more robust betas as well. Killing right at the start would have been easier if he'd not picked Marauder as well... in fact it's quite easy enough to do with a crafting class... Go Go super axe guy of doom! Who actually helps when your not a War/Magic class.


About that... as long as it appeared to take for him to attack, that was from Phase 2, wasn't it? I don't recall combat being that slow in Phase 3 or open beta. He didn't even mention anything about the teleporting via anima in there either.

Quote:
They didn't just throw something together. They put a de-content-ified current build of the game up to see how it would handle the client load.


Wrong, but I'm thinking you misunderstood what I meant by throwing it together... What we saw wasn't the finished product, crashes are expected and the guildleve cooldown was in experimenting stages from what I recall. I even believe they made a statement somewhere that this cooldown period was being reviewed and would be reduced. What I meant by thrown together is the translation mostly. I recall speaking to an NPC or two in Ul'dah that just replied with [EN] and nothing else. The translations were quickly thrown together so we could read it. Patching stuff like this (And the crashing) were not really a priority of theirs. Everyone knew the game had some stability issues, most which I'd like to believe have been taken care of with the release of retail. If they do exist still, then well, by all means rag on the game. At this point we're paying for it so issues such as these shouldn't be happening anymore but once in a blue moon and should be fixed immediately.

Quote:
I don't reward bad coding and inept game design with my hard-earned money.


I'm not sure where to comment on this, I'm not a coder or have coding knowledge but the only issues I could see were stuff that was in beta. Now again, it depends on if these issues still persist in retail. If they do then your comments are totally justified. But from what I see at this point, you're condemning an entire game based on the unfinished product that was clearly still in its beta stages, hence the name, beta, not "retail". Did you ever stop to think maybe so many problems persisted because the dev team were working their butts off trying to make a short deadline? I recall an article awhile back saying that they were trying to push the game out the door right away and they admitted they wished they had more time. That said, the dev team was likely working around the clock to ensure these problems were resolved before release. Why spend precious resources on problems they knew existed on a service they were giving out for free? Wouldn't it make sense to use those resources on the final product, not the product sent out for testing?

I won't lie SE, could of handled alot of this much better than they did. As a company their practices suck more often than makes sense. However they do churn out some quality products. And there's still something I'm wondering: In your reply on the BFF you you complain that the graphics are bad, exactly what's wrong with the graphics? Apart from the copy n' paste job I have a hard time discerning what issues there are with their graphics. You have a point however if you're griping about how the game ran on some systems, there was some bad coding involved in that. I'd like to think they fixed it in retail but I can't say until I play it.

Now before I get too far into the tl;dr range (I know I probably am by now.) I want to end it by saying I'm not buying this because of the Final Fantasy name stuck on it, I'm buying it because I enjoy the MMO. I've played various FF games and I am by far from being a FF-fanboy. If anything I'm a fanboy of the Phantasy Star Online series. Despite how much that title sucked at times I kept playing. Anyway, the entire case I'm trying to make is your post just seems to attack the game based on what's happened in beta. Before you are so quick to judge the game, wait until it's been out for awhile or bum a buddy pass off someone who buys the CE version. Try the game and see what you think. If nothing's changed since then, then you have a valid and perfectly good excuse to bash the game.

EDIT: Forgot to add about the FF-fanboy stuff... I've never beaten one FF game that I've played, most of the storylines for many of them save maybe 6 and 7 I can't recall. I never even got into any of the endgame content for FFXI either.

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 10:24pm by SamusKnight

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 10:29pm by SamusKnight

Edited, Sep 21st 2010 10:31pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#14 Sep 21 2010 at 11:11 PM Rating: Excellent
The One and Only SamusKnight wrote:
Laudatio wrote:
He had some points.. but it was beta version... granted.. people have gotten to more robust betas as well. Killing right at the start would have been easier if he'd not picked Marauder as well... in fact it's quite easy enough to do with a crafting class... Go Go super axe guy of doom! Who actually helps when your not a War/Magic class.


About that... as long as it appeared to take for him to attack, that was from Phase 2, wasn't it? I don't recall combat being that slow in Phase 3 or open beta. He didn't even mention anything about the teleporting via anima in there either.


He started out attacking slow until he realized that there was no auto-attack. Towards the end he was out of stamina a couple of times. His issue was that the mobs were evading the vast majority of attacks which made the fight last a lot longer than one might have thought, but also makes it frustrating.

I mean, it's one thing to be put face to face with an entry level mob that has tons of HP and give you a couple of NPCs at your back that are scripted to toss you a cure if you fall below a certain % HP or ledn a hand with some damage output if you choose to roll as a DoH/DoL class. Then SE can tune it so that you're actually smacking the mob around and getting a feel for the combat system and having fun, not whiffing over and over and over again with the one ability you're given to mess around with. That doesn't draw people into a game for their first encounter. That ****** them off. It makes them wonder whether or not they've wasted their money on the retail box. And then when a reviewer gets their hands on something like that and puts it out in video format for other people to see, it hurts the developer's sales and that's what I really don't think SE understands. People are going to look at that and say, "wtf?!?!" not because they're stupid or impatient or immature, but because it looks ******* boring.

I started out in the OB as a gladiator in Gridania. We didn't get amoebas, we got other kinds of mobs. So I don't know if it was a function of class type or mob type or both, but my experience was not bad at all. There were some misses and the like but it was still entertaining. Whiff -> evade -> evade -> miss -> whiff -> evade -> evade -> evade is not something most people find entertaining as their very first encounter with the combat system in an MMO. FFXI wasn't even that bad ffs.
#15 Sep 21 2010 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
I actually thought it was rather fair, except for the part where he doesn't seem to have any patience for walking. ;)

No death pop-up was one of my biggest beta gripes.

Also, he "started" out sounding negative because he'd already shot the game stuff, you know, before he added in his commentary? It's not like his videos are truly linear. Smiley: lol
#16 Sep 21 2010 at 11:20 PM Rating: Good
*
207 posts
I think he should feel lucky he didn't get poisoned... those ankle biters took two shots with a stone.. if one happened to poison me since I was an amazing phys lvl 2 Fisher.. I'd die before the poison came off.
#17 Sep 22 2010 at 12:02 AM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
Linky

I like MikeB's work. I don't always agree but they're fun to watch, imo. I enjoyed this one, too.


The bawwwing and butthurt in the comments is just hilarious.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#18 Sep 22 2010 at 12:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Silverwyrm wrote:
Not debating anything said right now, but...

There is a curious amount of 1 posts lavishing him with praise and agreeing with each other. They use similar punctuation and sentence/paragraph format as well.

Just sayin...
Yeah, that was kinda odd.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#19 Sep 22 2010 at 12:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
This guy wouldn't have gave the game an honest shot anyway. I've been watching him on gamebreaker ever since they started the xiv podcast. From day 1 he was attempting to find flaws constantly.

Meh, not even going to bother watching it. I already know what it's about without having too.

#21 Sep 22 2010 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
demegod wrote:
was i the only one who picked up from the start of the review and the entire way out, that the tone of his voice indicated he disliked the game before he even began his little adventure, he has such a mocking/sarcastic tone about stuff because it was new or he didnt get it!



That's just his style. He's a smart *** all the time, no matter what the subject, which is why some people really like him. Rather than listening to his tone you just have to listen to the actual words that he says and make up your own mind about whether the stuff he talks about is important to you or not. Pretty much the same rules that would apply for any review, really.
#22 Sep 22 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
This guy reminds me of Nick Kolan over at IGN, which is not a good thing by any stretch.
____________________________
FFXI
Mirella Lvl 38 Drg/31 Rdm - Retired (Zilart)
WoW
Xarketh Lvl 80 Orc Death Knight - Retired
Shivari Lvl 80 Blood Elf Hunter - Retired
EQ2
Serania Lvl 90 Wood Elf Mystic - Current
Kirsalyn Lvl 70 High Elf Ranger- Current
#23 Sep 22 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Good
By the way, for those wanting stuff to rant about, here is something to rant about. It appears the Retainer system was left unchanged. Good luck finding what you need. :(
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#24 Sep 22 2010 at 2:28 AM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
I saw Socks... Socks everywhere.

And so I quickly left before any shenanigans could occur.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#25 Sep 22 2010 at 5:04 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
75 posts
i agree with....most of what he says :)
he seems more restless than me though haha.
but...hm, it is a bit meh, to walk up to the first mob and miss/evade several times in a row...i dont remember missing that much though.
First impression of a game IS IMPORTANT! if you're bored from the start, for couple hours (some will quit before that) you loose customers...which is bad.
I love FF though, and most of them catch you right away, and you're in love from the start.
I played XIV for a week or 2, and didnt get there at any point.
There's are all these small annoying details everywhere. but meh, sure it will get fixed...hopefully :)
I'm curious to see how release goes, if this magic saviour 6gb patch comes, like the final piece of the puzzle, that makes everything right :)
Hope it does, cause i want to fall in love with it :p, but doubt there will come such a patch anytime soon.

Haha all the posters with 1-5 posts, all praising the guy is funny.
The clip at the end, where a large party fighting a ladybug was hilarious :) i hate that stuff in MMOs. i'm ok with fighting ladybugs, and it being a small challange at lv 1 maybe, but not at lv 20-30...Im sure it doesnt stop there, im sure there's lv 90+ ladybugs too...
#26 Sep 22 2010 at 5:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
75 posts
polyhedral wrote:
This guy wouldn't have gave the game an honest shot anyway. I've been watching him on gamebreaker ever since they started the xiv podcast. From day 1 he was attempting to find flaws constantly.

Meh, not even going to bother watching it. I already know what it's about without having too.


whats wrong with that? :) if ppl wernt watching for flaws, and reporting them, nothing would improve you know.
Sure in many cases you can ignore it, get used to it, then forget it. But it's just gonna continue bothering all the new ppl coming, and making some ppl quit. Cause a game is about enjoyment, not getting used to a multitude of flaws.
#27 Sep 22 2010 at 6:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
441 posts
radacci wrote:
polyhedral wrote:
This guy wouldn't have gave the game an honest shot anyway. I've been watching him on gamebreaker ever since they started the xiv podcast. From day 1 he was attempting to find flaws constantly.

Meh, not even going to bother watching it. I already know what it's about without having too.


whats wrong with that? :) if ppl wernt watching for flaws, and reporting them, nothing would improve you know.
Sure in many cases you can ignore it, get used to it, then forget it. But it's just gonna continue bothering all the new ppl coming, and making some ppl quit. Cause a game is about enjoyment, not getting used to a multitude of flaws.


But it felt like he was nitpicking things that most people dont care about..

~missing so much during that intro fight (yea, he didnt notice his skills were going up and when they went up, he as able to hit), that galka fighting is mostly for DoL and DoH jobs only because they really dont get to attack but stone throwing.

~complaining about all the running around..1. the places are friggin huge! you want a flying mount? go back to WoW and 2. Teleport is a helluva drug lol

~copying and "pasta'ing" (stupid thing to say, hope to god it doesnt catch on).. who cares about the backgrounds, were the mobs the same in every spot? did every one of them have a node for fishing/mining? besides, he's stating his own opinion on the matter, some people just dont care about that and more involved in gameplay and storyline rather than "OOH, i've seen that rock before"

~About dying.. If he would have read that "call to adventure" or whatever its called at the aetheryte. he would have known what to do, but being impatient got him that result, so his whining on that was his own fault there.

I too have seen him on that gamebreakers show and he already had a bias against FF (could be a WoW fanboi, could be a halo freak, don't know, don't care lol) so when he makes the statement around the :45 point, you could already tell he was gonna start bashing it, he couldt even really point out anything good about the game, all negative, no positive, not a honest review imho.

Just watching http://www.zam.com/bffreport.html?bffreport=31 made me realize this guy is totally biased about FF.. because you can hear how much more uptoned he was about that game and didnt point out any of the problems that plagued it til its end and all he talked about was how many bad things were in the game (oh the chocobo's are too skinny? wth?)

kk, think i've ranted on enough about him... lol

P.S. yea.. he should fire his make up person.. made him look like a bad tranny the day after.. just playin =P
____________________________
“Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”
Oscar Wilde

#28 Sep 22 2010 at 6:52 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
Thought I'd copy my comment over to here rather than retype my opinion.
Quote:
Here's my comment:

Hating on 'copy pasta' as much as you did, is complete idiocy.

"It was ok for mario, it was ok for WoW" it's not ok 5~ years later? All you've done in your argument is prove what a long standing technique in gaming this is. What if I said "WoW's caves all look the same, what is this the super mario era? It's 2004!!!!!!" what would you tell me? "At least they're all dull enough not to be obvious when repeated!" ? Wouldn't that be a compliment to the detail work SE put into these pieces? Food for thought huh.

Sorry dude. This is a standard practice in games since mario, and it is not illegitimate today. Some may accuse me of being a SE fanboy, those who know my usual posts would know you're wrong. However saying it's ok for WoW but not FFXIV screams of WoW fanboyism.

This review was biased for the WoW crowd, not made for the FF crowd as he tries to cover his *** by claiming at the end.

Will not watch more of this 'show'. Some complaints were valid but devoting so much production time to ******** about copy pasta stinks of someone that doesn't know what he's talking about.


Edited, Sep 22nd 2010 8:52am by RattyBatty
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#29 Sep 22 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
Quote:
Hating on 'copy pasta' as much as you did, is complete idiocy.


eh i found it to be justified. This game looks just as good as oblivion and they solved this issue and they generate a similar amount of content. They have very little copied content to this extent. The problem is that it's not resized, reshaped, nothing... it's just not realistic. Do i care? No, but i can completely understand where he is coming from.

As for the battle and dying, yeah that's his mis-experience and lack of wanting to try something new. He cries and expects it to be like every other game where they hold your hand.

He complains about some things i find justified like the "tiny" differences in the height of 2 surfaces causing you to get stuck, the bridge for one in his video. This is the EXACT same issue encountered in FFXI that annoyed me to **** that was my only justification for wanting a jump button. FF13 seemed to handle this fine, different team i understand but it's always good to talk between developers, i know... first hand.

I also hope they fix that "action not ready" garbage, give me an auto attack or make the manual attack function properly for people trying to squeeze out every second that they would not need to do with auto attack.

Lastly i LoL'd so hard at the ladybug thing. That is so FFXI cause all i remember hearing about is "oh hay lets go fight that bee... ZOMG it 1 shot me!". Also i played on release PS3 FFXI and loved it so don't say i'm a hater.

I also bet someone will rate me down because i agreed with some of his video, i don't care... if we were all here to praise the game it would be the worst forum ever.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)