Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

On RPers and Those Who Are Afraid of ThemFollow

#1 Sep 22 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Those of you avoiding Besaid specifically because it's been designated as the unofficial RP server, get your panties out of that twist. Seriously. Not al RPers are creepy virgins with acne, sleeping in mama's basement. That stupid stereotype is getting extremely annoying. No one will force you to RP if you don't want to and you can report people who are specifically targeting you for abuse.

The whole reason why they designated it as the unofficial RP server is so that everyone with a common interest in the game can play together. It's far more fun to RP with a large group, and if most RPers end up on Besaid, then they can play together. It's not to turn the entire server into RPers. There are plenty of linkshells that are casual, which anyone here would see if they wandered over into the Besaid server forum. In fact, here's the linkshell list.

Here's a question for any non-RPer. How do you feel about the negative stereotypes the gaming community has in the general populace? For instance the stereotype that anyone who plays FPS are going to be violent sociopaths?
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#2 Sep 22 2010 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
I don't really care about the rl social implications, I just find it annoying and don't want to be in a RP linkshell. If you or someone else does, go nuts.

Edited, Sep 22nd 2010 2:21pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#3 Sep 22 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Excellent
19 posts
Just like the guy above says. And its a little creepy. Lol
#4 Sep 22 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
770 posts
RP is always fun, however sometimes just dont wanna. To each there own soem people love it others hate it. nobody is forced to RP.
____________________________
I do not suffer from insanity.. I rather enjoy it.

{retired} Devalynn Mithra WHM extrodinare -Garuda (gives everyone a high paw! yeah!)

Church OF Mikhalia
#5 Sep 22 2010 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
46 posts
Doesn't bother me, but if they refuse to communicate unless I personally RP, then I hate hate hate them. I don't mind reading their RP, makes it interesting... some are very annoying, stupid, whatever, but I wouldn't target them for abuse because of it.

oh, and JP. Don't mind them, but hard to communicate, so I wouldn't want to be on a server filled with them.

Edited, Sep 22nd 2010 3:35pm by geoncic
#6 Sep 22 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
172 posts
I'm not a RPer but I'm playing on Besaid. I even played on a RP server in WoW till one of my friends was told he had to change his name. Then we left it. So, as long as SE don't try any stupid thing like that then I'm cool with ya sitting around the fountians telling stories and crazy stuff like that.
____________________________
Carpe Diem
#7 Sep 22 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,141 posts
I don't think RPers are creepy virgins. Just you Gad.
____________________________
Striveldt

FFXIV: Lancer, Fisher, Culinarian
FFXI: DRK 55, WAR 30, THF 27, DRG 27 (all retired)
WoW: Hunter 70, Warrior 29, Druid 26, Warlock 22, Shaman 19 (all retired)
EQII: Shadowknight 36 (retired)
#8 Sep 22 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Well I knew several people who had to change thier names in FFXI, mostly due to someone else finding it offencive. One was a great guy who went by Darkkiller, was told her had to change it cause it was racialy offencive... completely baffled the player since he was african american himself.

So as long as you and your friends don't run around with offencive names I doubt they will be asked to change them.
Do you remember what the name he was asked to change was? It might not have had anything to do with the RP comunity.
#9 Sep 22 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
striveldt wrote:
I don't think RPers are creepy virgins. Just you Gad.

Except that Gad's neither creepy nor a virgin. At least, that's what his wife tells me.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#10 Sep 22 2010 at 2:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,141 posts
Ralrra wrote:
striveldt wrote:
I don't think RPers are creepy virgins. Just you Gad.

Except that Gad's neither creepy nor a virgin. At least, that's what his wife tells me.


Oh I know, in fact I've seen Gad outright declare himself non-virgin ^.~

However, I need to uphold my stereotypes to feel good about myself.
____________________________
Striveldt

FFXIV: Lancer, Fisher, Culinarian
FFXI: DRK 55, WAR 30, THF 27, DRG 27 (all retired)
WoW: Hunter 70, Warrior 29, Druid 26, Warlock 22, Shaman 19 (all retired)
EQII: Shadowknight 36 (retired)
#11 Sep 22 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I don't mind RPing in a P&P context like VtM or D&D but I never much cared for it in an MMORPG. Still, to each their own.

The thing that confuses me about this particular topic is, while you have a valid point that "Not al RPers are creepy virgins with acne, sleeping in mama's basement." [sic], why are you trying to convince people who believe that way to come to your server?

It seems to me, logically, that if you want to RP, and you want immersion, that the best way to do that is to play with as few non RPers as possible. Personally, if I were going to RP, I'd rather do it on a server where EVERYONE is RPing, not a server where "a lot of people" are doing it, because then you still have to ooc for the people that don't. If you get a party together with 5 people and one of those 5 does not RP, are the other 4 going to be ooc the entire party for that one person? Seems unfair that they should have to not RP just because one person doesn't want to.

I do agree with your point, but at the same time, I think that you should just let the people who have a huge aversion to the notion of RP and would intentionally not play on an RP server just go play on another server, instead of inviting people you'll have to ooc to your home.

Just my two cents anyway.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Sep 22 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
575 posts
Yeah, rate me down. Roleplaying is ***.
#13 Sep 22 2010 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I don't mind RPing in a P&P context like VtM or D&D but I never much cared for it in an MMORPG. Still, to each their own.

The thing that confuses me about this particular topic is, while you have a valid point that "Not al RPers are creepy virgins with acne, sleeping in mama's basement." [sic], why are you trying to convince people who believe that way to come to your server?

It seems to me, logically, that if you want to RP, and you want immersion, that the best way to do that is to play with as few non RPers as possible. Personally, if I were going to RP, I'd rather do it on a server where EVERYONE is RPing, not a server where "a lot of people" are doing it, because then you still have to ooc for the people that don't. If you get a party together with 5 people and one of those 5 does not RP, are the other 4 going to be ooc the entire party for that one person? Seems unfair that they should have to not RP just because one person doesn't want to.

I do agree with your point, but at the same time, I think that you should just let the people who have a huge aversion to the notion of RP and would intentionally not play on an RP server just go play on another server, instead of inviting people you'll have to ooc to your home.

Just my two cents anyway.


I wasn't trying to convince people to come to Besaid, I was trying to point out that not wanting to be on Besaid because they think it's filled with creepy virgins with acne, sleeping in mama's basement is an insulting and poor excuse (that is actually in error) to avoid a server.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)