Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

hardware mouseFollow

#1 Sep 22 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
421 posts
wasnt it added for release? if not sorry for the pointless thread but if it is then can anyone tell me where do i go to change from software to hardware mouse, thanks
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#2 Sep 22 2010 at 1:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
182 posts
Under the game setting.. before you launch the game. Its the same location where you set the graphics settings
____________________________
#3 Sep 22 2010 at 1:30 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
421 posts
thanks
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#4 Sep 22 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
What exactly is the difference between hardware mouse and software mouse?
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#5 Sep 22 2010 at 2:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
mithrandrk wrote:
What exactly is the difference between hardware mouse and software mouse?


Less or even no lag on the UI with Mouse
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#6 Sep 22 2010 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
With a software mouse if the server kags your mouse will lag to. It will become slow and unresposive at times. There's an option under the ffxiv config to turn it off try it and see the differences for yourself.
mithrandrk wrote:
What exactly is the difference between hardware mouse and software mouse?

____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#7 Sep 22 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
jakarai wrote:
With a software mouse if the server kags your mouse will lag to. It will become slow and unresposive at times. There's an option under the ffxiv config to turn it off try it and see the differences for yourself.
mithrandrk wrote:
What exactly is the difference between hardware mouse and software mouse?


I'm sorry, I try not to be directly confrontational, but I cannot in good conscience let this go. Software mouse has absolutely nothing to do with the server; in fact, it is possible to have a software mouse with no lag, just not likely in FFXIV for a while. A software mouse means that the graphics module takes input from your mouse and paints the mouse on the screen in the same pass as the rest of the game. That means that any drop in FPS due to CPU or GPU lag is going to cause massive stuttering on your mouse. Hardware mouse, on the other hand, is handled by the OS thread, which has a higher priority, meaning even if your game looses frames, the mouse will still paint correctly.

This is actually something that has bothered me in FFXI for a long time, people complaining about lag due to congested servers in crowded areas, then describing what is clearly a laggy GPU. There is a huge difference between server to client latency and loosing frame rate from your GPU.
#8 Sep 22 2010 at 2:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
I'm sorry, I try not to be directly confrontational, but I cannot in good conscience let this go. Software mouse has absolutely nothing to do with the server; in fact, it is possible to have a software mouse with no lag, just not likely in FFXIV for a while. A software mouse means that the graphics module takes input from your mouse and paints the mouse on the screen in the same pass as the rest of the game. That means that any drop in FPS due to CPU or GPU lag is going to cause massive stuttering on your mouse. Hardware mouse, on the other hand, is handled by the OS thread, which has a higher priority, meaning even if your game looses frames, the mouse will still paint correctly.

This is actually something that has bothered me in FFXI for a long time, people complaining about lag due to congested servers in crowded areas, then describing what is clearly a laggy GPU. There is a huge difference between server to client latency and loosing frame rate from your GPU.


Exactly. I tried to explain this to people several times during Open Beta. If the software mouse is lagging it's because of your computer, not the servers. Even if the rest of the game doesn't seem to be lagging much it is still caused by this. I know because I could turn down the graphics during Open Beta and my mouse would be perfect, turn them up and it would lag.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)