Forum Settings
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV updater doesn't workFollow

#1 Sep 22 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Hi all. I am having problems getting my client to work.

I keep having a fatal exception from the application FFXIVboot.exe. I have already posted on the forum web page concerning this problem here towards the bottom:

However, in talking to my software developer friend, I found that a perhaps related issue is that my FFXIVupdater application is not working either. In this instance, trying to run the application produces nothing at all, no error report or attempt to run anything.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Edited, Sep 22nd 2010 4:37pm by Aragornking
#2 Sep 23 2010 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
38 posts
Hi there,
I actually had trouble getting it to work in Open Beta myself. Everyone is quick to say it's an ATI problem and pat themselves on the back over it. There was an FFXIVBOOT crash related to atiumdag.dll but many people (like myself) are not having that one so the issue is unrelated. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting (software test engineer by profession). Since SE chose not to allow issue submissions in open beta, and since I'm seeing people still getting the ffxivboot.exe crash on launch in retail...I fully expect to see it when my copy arrives. Event Viewer was checked as suggested by others and contains no other fault reference info than FFXIVBOOT.EXE failing. Here's what info I have to share in hopes it may help others (and maybe SE) address the underlying issue. I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I'm trying to be thorough.

FFXIV Benchmark Ran:
No errors
Score 4495 on high

Crash Error:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ffxivboot.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 4c774aef
Fault Module Name: ffxivboot.exe
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c774aef
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 004134fc
OS Version: 6.1.7600.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

System configuration:
System ordered new...less than 1 month old
Processor(s): 2x Xeon E5620 Westmere's @ 2.40 GHz (Dual Quad-Core CPUs)
Memory: 6GB of 1GHz ECC DDR3 SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

OS's tried: Win7(64) Ultimate (original install), Win7(64) Ultimate (clean install), WinXP(32) (clean install), Win7 (64) Ultimate in VMWare using VM 3D Graphics Driver (to help bypass any ATI driver specific issues)
DX version(s): Win7 (DX11 & DX9c), XP (DX9c)

ATI Drivers Installed (driver sweeper used and set to VGA driver between each new install):
10.1 (came with system), 10.5, 10.7, 10.8 and now 10.9

Other Drivers & Software:
- Realtek Audio drivers were downloaded and installed to update current ones. I had read one post that thought the crash may be related to DirectX audio compliant I updated.
- .NET Framework all versions and SP's installed up to and including ver 4 in case the updater utility needed any of it for support.
- Ran application as administrator even though UAC has been disabled.
- Ran in compatibility mode XP and 2000.
- All Windows specific updates and patches applied.
- Antivirus Disabled....Antivirus uninstalled.
- The clean installs and VM were base OS with updates, DX, Video Driver, and FFXIV install only
- Multiple versions of the installer were used both from SE and alternate download sites.
- FFXIV gigs of Patches downloaded and put in proper locations...crashes before it gets far enough to utilize them so that was of no help.
- Other machine in house works. Copied all fully updated and installed files to my machine from it, still crashes.

Additional Testing:
Finally I may have stumbled upon a partial fix. It at least points a finger at a potential code problem. Running out of options to get this working and release upon me, I started looking really hard at my hardware differences. First ECC memory vs the common non-ECC. It's been known to cause problems with some applications years ago...but most all developers have learned to fix those issues so you don't really see those anymore. Next, multi-CPUs. I decided to disable one of my CPUs. First with an /affinity switch on ffxivboot.exe at command line (to disable cores) I found on one of the many posts on startup issues. Low and behold when I restricted (read crippled) my system to run with only 1 of the available 16 cores, the launcher launched and I was able to create a character for the first time the other night in beta! Albeit at about 3 fps.

Yesterday I used MSCONFIG and gimped myself to 8 cores hoping Windows was smart enough to try to keep em on one CPU, dunno if it did or not, but I was able once again to get to the version checking portion (since beta is over). This is a very good sign that FFXIV has some issues with multi CPU affinity. Really hope they fix this by the time my copy comes in.


Server: Asura - Rank 6 Windy
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (13)