Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Lot of people going to waste money on new GFX CardsFollow

#1 Sep 24 2010 at 8:32 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I keep seeing people complaining about lag... the first response is ALWAYS 'Your GFX card sucks' or some variation. I've seen people say that about a GTX460 1GB GFX card..... that's ridiculous. There is Server Side Lag going on because it is release of the new FF MMO.

Here's why I say this:

My computer - Running FFXIV on medium graphics (on Configuration, Shadows and all that turned ON)

MacBook Pro 13" 2010

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: nvidia GeForce 330m 256MB


I am running FFXIV and I'm experiencing absolutely no lag whatsoever. I also have an HP Elite i7-860 (2.8GHz), 8GB RAM, GTX460 2GB tower sitting at home and it runs the game EXACTLY the same as my Mac in terms of responsiveness.

So, to everyone scrambling for a new GFX card... wait for a week or so. Unless you have an old Pentium computer or something, chances are you GFX card is -fine- to run the game. Unless you're picky and want to see every water drop on every scale of Leviathan... I see 90% of the water drops on 90% of the scales of Leviathan and people thought Mac's wouldn't be able to run it at all... look where I'm sitting.

To those that say "Well, I have -no- lag, it can't be server side!". Check what server you're on. Some servers may be more full, some may be more laggy, it honestly depends, so saying you have -no- lag is not a justifiable answer.


Bottom Line: It's server side lag... wait for the buzz to settle down, everything will run fine.
#2 Sep 24 2010 at 8:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
so server lag affects framerate now? I didnt kno.

im getting 25~40 fps on my hd 4890 in most places, not happy
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Sep 24 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,041 posts
People love to try to make someone spend more money than they need to. Machine lag could be from various areas that doesn't always fall onto the type of GPU they have because some people with identical setups aren't getting identical performance for example.

#4 Sep 24 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
39 posts
I have a 4890 as well, I thought it would be performing much better than it is.

was thinking about 'wasting money' on a 5870 xD
#5 Sep 24 2010 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
the 4890 should be running this way better. dont buy a 5870, wait for the ati 6xxx series to upgrade your video card.

for now wait until new ati drivers or updates to FFXIV, really there's no reason i should be getting this low FPS in towns...at least based on other games ive been able to play with this PC.
____________________________
MUTED
#6 Sep 24 2010 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
***
1,673 posts
Not all problems can be solved by throwing more money at it. Like the OP said, just be a little patient. New drivers and patches will come out. Servers will be optimized. It may get worse when the standard edition comes out. I hate to see people complain about buying new graphics cards and still having issues. We all want this game to run flawlessly, just give it time.
#7 Sep 24 2010 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
I have a GTX295, 4GB-DDR3-1066 RAM, Phenom II 955 @3.7ghz.

I don't get much server lag, but it is apparent that the servers are getting overpopulated.

As for client lag, my game will almost always run at 60FPS unless there are other people around then it drops down considerably. I have a CPU meter and a GPU meter up at all times and I can see when in populated areas my processor takes a heavy load and my GPU runs at around 50% and vice versa when in less populated areas.

I haven't noticed any server lag difference based on the number of people near me, so I can't say much about that. I do hope that they find a way to take some strain off the CPU.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 10:58am by Heoki
____________________________
My FFXIAH Profile
<img src="http://i44.tinypic.com/zik8d2.png" />
#8 Sep 24 2010 at 9:01 AM Rating: Excellent
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between lag and frame rate issues...
#9 Sep 24 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,001 posts
Quote:


im getting 25~40 fps on my hd 4890 in most places, not happy


I get 40+ FPS everywhere running @ 1920x1080 on my computer which uses a 4890... do you have every bell and whistle turned on or something?
____________________________
FFXIV: Lord Atomsk - Lalafell on Lindblum
FFXI: Nyu 75 SAM (retired)
------------------------------------
#10 Sep 24 2010 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I'm really happy with my overclocked 8800GT. I think now in the official release I'm getting about 40-50fps on average whereas in beta I was getting around 30-40fps. All of this @ 1440 x 900

It's running very smoothly.

I'm on a low pop server too so its even better.

Even so, I've put off upgrading for now, but in the near future I'll still upgrade to a more powerful card, maybe a GTX 470 or 5850/70.
#11 Sep 24 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
Nyu wrote:
Quote:


im getting 25~40 fps on my hd 4890 in most places, not happy


I get 40+ FPS everywhere running @ 1920x1080 on my computer which uses a 4890... do you have every bell and whistle turned on or something?


Eh. I get 40~50 in some places and 60 in instances, but in mildly crowded areas it's more around 25~35, which sucks. I am using highest texture setting, with 2x AA and low shadows.

but I've tried the game with high shadows and 8x AA, as well as with all lowest settings and no AA... and the framerate stays about the same

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 1:04pm by Poubelle
____________________________
MUTED
#12 Sep 24 2010 at 11:25 AM Rating: Decent
6 posts
So running my soon to be radeon HD 5650, or GTX260 will actually run fine once to FFXIV communtiy calms down?
#13 Sep 24 2010 at 12:05 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
140 posts
hmm i know this game is not optimized and stuff but i dont see why my fps sucks sooo bad
intel core 2 quad Q9400 2.7 ghz
4gb DDR2 800mhz ram
Pny Geforce 465 Gtx OC'd at 757/1765 (core/memory)
windows vista 64 bit
1280x720 res
textures highest (changing them to low doesnt do anything)
shadows low
AO off
DoF off
no AA
playing in windowed mode

anyone have any idea why my fps is so low?
guild 13-18
avg in town 16-25
outside 30-40
sometimes but rarely if the area is very open no mobs no ppl etc ill get 50-60
____________________________
http://xivpads.com/?1337008

i7 950 3.2 ghz, 6gb Corsair XMS3 @1600 MHZ, 580 gtx, asus sabertooth X58
#14 Sep 24 2010 at 12:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
A lot of the lag if not all is by the own players pc, either the card isnt up to par, the cpu isnt up to par, or they are running their rig with config settings to high for what it can handle. This game was relieased with the top of the top hardware in mind (consider it this years Crysis)
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Sep 24 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,869 posts
I'm a little disappointed in XIV's graphics performance. I’m not running a garbage system - Radeon 5770 1GB with up to date drivers, Phenom II 4x core @ 3.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, Win7 64bit, almost nothing else installed on the PC to slow things down (pretty much just the OS, Starcraft II, FFXIV, and FFXI). Medium settings, and it still gets sudden moments of stutter frame rate. It’s even more noticeable because the frame rate fluctuates so much – it will be ridiculously silky smooth for a minute (almost disconcerting because it's TOO smooth), then come to a screeching halt when I move the camera the right way, turn around, or run into a busier area. I'd be much happier if it was a consistently LOWER frame rate for me rather than jumping between super smooth and choppy.

Pair those technical elements with the god awful interface design and screen display (not to mention the game's insistence on making it more difficult than it should be to communicate or do things in a party), and my whole experience over the past couple days has been less than impressive.

I know I need time to adjust after 6 years of FFXI, and I know this is week 1 of a new MMO and some issues are to be expected, but I’m underwhelmed so far. Maybe XI won't die off after all, because unless XIV improves a lot rather quickly, I'd be happier to stick with XI.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#16 Sep 24 2010 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LordEice wrote:
waste money
LordEice wrote:
MacBook Pro 13" 2010

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: nvidia GeForce 330m 256MB
Price Tag wrote:
$1200
You're not one to talk when it comes to wasting money.



Edited, Sep 24th 2010 6:57pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#17 Sep 24 2010 at 6:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
I have an 8600 GTS 256 bit card and the game runs fine for me. I set all to low/lowest and keep the BG at resolution. Sometimes in cities I hang a little more than my bro but all in all I am surprised that my card runs this game as good as it does.

That said my next system should run this game at 300 FPS and hopefully NewEgg is prompt with the delivery because for a $1000 US I think I have the best FFXIV system there is. It's amazing how low prices are on awesome parts. I7 CPU for $200, silly.
#18 Sep 24 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
bsphil wrote:
LordEice wrote:
waste money
LordEice wrote:
MacBook Pro 13" 2010

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: nvidia GeForce 330m 256MB
Price Tag wrote:
$1200
You're not one to talk when it comes to wasting money.



Edited, Sep 24th 2010 6:57pm by bsphil




Actually, got mine for $800, sold my older comp for $900. Thus, I got a $100 profit by switching to the mac :-P
#19 Sep 24 2010 at 7:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
Yea, I kind of think its funny how many people respond to people complaining about lag and blame it on their gpu. There is a difference between hardware lag and server lag. Kinda like where you tap a key 50x just to get an attack and even after the attack it takes a few seconds for the damage to take affect on the enemy. That would be a connection issue, not a framerate issue.
#20 Sep 24 2010 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LordEice wrote:
bsphil wrote:
LordEice wrote:
waste money
LordEice wrote:
MacBook Pro 13" 2010

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: nvidia GeForce 330m 256MB
Price Tag wrote:
$1200
You're not one to talk when it comes to wasting money.
Actually, got mine for $800, sold my older comp for $900. Thus, I got a $100 profit by switching to the mac :-P
**** you could get a new laptop that isn't a mac that is as good or better than that for less than $800.

Woot

Better processor, bigger screen, blue ray drive, bigger hard drive, not a mac, more VRAM, 2/3rds the base price of the macbook.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 9:34pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#21 Sep 24 2010 at 8:51 PM Rating: Good
***
2,204 posts
I am allowed to waste money on anything I want to waste it on.

I am an adult with a job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and bills to pay.

As long as all the above is taken care of I can blow my money any way I feel like it.

No such thing as wasting money unless you are just littering the street with it.
#22 Sep 24 2010 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
I wouldn't exactly say that I wasted my money but I will admit that I'm still.. Umm.. unimpressed with the the performance of the card and FFXIV. I ended up getting a GeForce GTX 480. I run at 1900x1200. Have tried all sorts of changes to the settings but none really impressed me that much. I think part of the problem is I just naturally assumed that spending $500 on what is supposed to be a very good card should be able to handle almost anything something like FFXIV can throw at it but it looks like they decided to make this game next gen or something.

I figure even if I can't get XIV to play as well as I would like, there are other PC games coming out that will run rather nicely with the 480 just the same so not exactly a waste of money.
#23 Sep 24 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
The simple truth is that the game really is not that beautiful. It does not have anything spectacular, other than artwork details on the cities and characters from what I have observed. I will also reference copy-pasta, but will not judge.

I have seen others saying omg it looks so wonderful. I can admit that it looks well. It is so pretty, even more so, if it was released 4 years ago.

The people wasting money on upgrades are the ones that think that by upgrading the game will look sharper. The sad truth is that for most of them, they wasted their money, on a game that is not optimized yet. To shortly conclude: There is a fine difference between excellent graphics and excellent artwork. If it had excellent graphics, the configuration utility would be far more complex than it is right now. If you don't believe that statement, start up a different PC game that has been released recently and see how many graphic options that are in the menu.
#24 Sep 24 2010 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
bsphil wrote:
LordEice wrote:
bsphil wrote:
LordEice wrote:
waste money
LordEice wrote:
MacBook Pro 13" 2010

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GFX: nvidia GeForce 330m 256MB
Price Tag wrote:
$1200
You're not one to talk when it comes to wasting money.
Actually, got mine for $800, sold my older comp for $900. Thus, I got a $100 profit by switching to the mac :-P
**** you could get a new laptop that isn't a mac that is as good or better than that for less than $800.

Woot

Better processor, bigger screen, blue ray drive, bigger hard drive, not a mac, more VRAM, 2/3rds the base price of the macbook.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 9:34pm by bsphil


or a Qosmio x305, then drop a 5870m in it...
#25 Sep 24 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
Poubelle wrote:
so server lag affects framerate now? I didnt kno.

im getting 25~40 fps on my hd 4890 in most places, not happy


That's the exact same card I have and I'm totally fine. You do realize that there's a lot more to FPS then what video card you have, right?
#26 Sep 24 2010 at 10:12 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
PentUpAnger wrote:
I am allowed to waste money on anything I want to waste it on.

I am an adult with a job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and bills to pay.

As long as all the above is taken care of I can blow my money any way I feel like it.

No such thing as wasting money unless you are just littering the street with it.


Wtf are you talking about? I'm pretty sure that is the sound of the point blowing right over your head.
#27 Sep 24 2010 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,204 posts
runtheplacered wrote:
PentUpAnger wrote:
I am allowed to waste money on anything I want to waste it on.

I am an adult with a job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and bills to pay.

As long as all the above is taken care of I can blow my money any way I feel like it.

No such thing as wasting money unless you are just littering the street with it.


Wtf are you talking about? I'm pretty sure that is the sound of the point blowing right over your head.


No, I got the point. I am allowed to buy any video card I want and as long as I don't see it as a waste then it isn't a waste.

A bad troll is still bad.
#28 Sep 25 2010 at 12:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,311 posts
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
8 GB memory DDR3

Runs smooth at highest settings. But yea, game dose lag as expected for a new game with everyone in the starting areas.

Don't spend more then $250-300 on a Graphic cards, anything more expensive because they are new. (and stay away from macs. lol). What fool pays $900 for an "old" pc? $900 and you can build a PC that runs FFXIV on high instead of a mac that runs it on medium.
____________________________
Mariox - Quetzalcoatl
75 RDM/BST/PLD/SMN.
Excalibur Obtained
--Retired 2007
#29 Sep 25 2010 at 1:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Mariox wrote:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
8 GB memory DDR3

Runs smooth at highest settings. But yea, game dose lag as expected for a new game with everyone in the starting areas.

Don't spend more then $250-300 on a Graphic cards, anything more expensive because they are new. (and stay away from macs. lol). What fool pays $900 for an "old" pc? $900 and you can build a PC that runs FFXIV on high instead of a mac that runs it on medium.


AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
GTX 465
4GB DDR3

Game runs great on high settings. I get no lag, other than a bit of stuttering in really dense population areas.

To put this in perspective, i was running:
a dual core, and an ATI 5750, and i got a lot of lag everywhere.
____________________________

#30 Sep 25 2010 at 1:59 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
runtheplacered wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
so server lag affects framerate now? I didnt kno.

im getting 25~40 fps on my hd 4890 in most places, not happy


That's the exact same card I have and I'm totally fine. You do realize that there's a lot more to FPS then what video card you have, right?


what is "totally fine" to you? because im looking for 60 FPS.

i use an i5 intel processor and 8gb ram/windows 7 64 bit.
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Sep 25 2010 at 5:43 AM Rating: Decent
40 posts
I'm going to hammer in another GTX480, just so I can set it to Double instead of Resolution and also this way I can activate Ambient Occlusion, everything else is on the highest settings. Why am I saying that?

Because there are players that enjoy crisp graphics. ****, I've built a complete new rig from scratch just for this game. And the money is well spent. If I wanted to play a game on medium settings or have everything pixelated, then *******, I might as well just play WoW or Solitaire.

i7 930 @ 4.1GHz
3x2GB Dominator GT
Zotac GTX480 AMP! at 815/~/2000
EVGA X58 4-Way SLI

No FPS lag <at all> with the settings mentioned above.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 7:46am by iamdev
#32 Sep 25 2010 at 5:54 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Parsalyn wrote:
The simple truth is that the game really is not that beautiful. It does not have anything spectacular, other than artwork details on the cities and characters from what I have observed.


Have you been to Cassiopea Hollow?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)