Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This Forum is Read Only

Yes it really is that bad: My Trollpost!Follow

#1 Sep 24 2010 at 1:28 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
I just want to preface this by saying that I was really excited about this game, bought the preorder, and played it for about 10 hours straight before coming to my sad sad conclusion... This game is just fail. For the following reasons:

The UI is the worst design I've ever seen in my life. For example: If you want to open a chest in the world you cant simply click on it there is a lengthy process. You have to stand over it, then click your menu, then find the button in the menu that says interact with object, then click open chest... WTF? Just lemme click it! The same process is needed to interact with everything in the world. Its redundant and just silly.

The enter key is used to replace the x button on the ps3 gamepad which is just awkward. Right click maybe? I dont think right click is even used. Also the camera follow function only works when autorun is engaged... (side note, you cant activate autorun unless you are already in motion, why cant I just hit autorun and start running?)

Nothing is labeled and I mean NOTHING. Would it kill SE to label an npc "Eloriana [Cooking Materials}"? This forces you to talk to EVERY npc in the game on the off chance that they might sell something or do something that is useful.

No zonewide chat functionality? I mean I get the linkshell and I'm sure they have some failreason that they are avoiding spam chat or whatever but avoiding spam by eliminating chat is just dumb. So far I haven't seen any major socializing by the players because you just dont have to so why would you? There is also no convenient way to send a tell to another player without typing "/t long drawn out name (message)" every time. Too much to ask to click someones name in the chat window or have a reply function?

Combat is slow and awkward. Mobs kind of linger and are lethargic and generally unresponsive. If you're in trouble you can usually just walk away from the mob at a semi brisk mall walk pace and "escape".

Crafting, class changes, the fact that you can only do a certain number of guildleves/quests in a set time period, the experience caps after so many hours, finding and using equipment, repairing equipment... Maybe explain it? ALL OF IT?!?!

I mean I dont care if the game is abysimally complex as long as there are *interesting* tutorials for how things work. I mean its a **GAME** not a textbook. If I wanted to study I'd just go to class, I want to play a game.

Oh and the game's pacing is similar to a turtle who just took a bottle of ambien...

GJ SE you suckered me out of 75 bucks, fool me once I guess. I just hope someone reads this and can resist the shiney graphics long enough to stop themselves from taking out their wallet.

/endtrollpost

*EDIT: PS I understand that many of these "issues" are because I haven't learned the game sufficiently, but that is exactly my point. After 10 hours of gameplay I should at least feel somewhat comfortable with the game mechanics. I've played mmo's for 6 years now including ffxi online and I'm still lost.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 3:30pm by Mord78
#2 Sep 24 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Buh Bye, the rest of us who dont want WoW 2 are happy.
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Sep 24 2010 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
Have fun playing another game! I'm staying here.
#4 Sep 24 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
Yeah it would be so fail to create an MMO based on the working mechanics of the most successful game of all time within the genre... That idea is just craaazy!

PS When you make a shooter game, it generally follows the same conventions and keybindings as most other shooters. Modern Warfare and Gears of War or Halo share almost all the same features. You don't have to reinvent the genre every time you create a new game.

But really is it too much to ask for for tutorials? Or labeling NPC's? Or an intuitive UI that just works? That's just common sense!
#5 Sep 24 2010 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Mord78 wrote:
Yeah it would be so fail to create an MMO based on the working mechanics of the most successful game of all time within the genre... That idea is just craaazy!

PS When you make a shooter game, it generally follows the same conventions and keybindings as most other shooters. Modern Warfare and Gears of War or Halo share almost all the same features. You don't have to reinvent the genre every time you create a new game.

But really is it too much to ask for for tutorials? Or labeling NPC's? Or an intuitive UI that just works? That's just common sense!

Because everyone loves halo and wow clones right? The like having every game the same?
____________________________
MUTED
#6 Sep 24 2010 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
We are not asking you to like the game, we are simply wondering if you hate it so much, why still talk about it...leave and leave us to our buisnaz
#7 Sep 24 2010 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
764 posts
Every mmo follows the same basic design an principles, yet only one of them is a huge success while the rest put behind "doing what they can". If this was another WoW clone thats what it would be, I an glad FINALLY there is a game aiming at a DIFFERENT group of people. you are not in group, goodbye.
____________________________


#8 Sep 24 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
Which amazes me as OP said he played 11, this game is so like 11 its definately a sequel. So as he stated hes just trolling, looking at his post count Id bet he finally got banmned from mmorpg.com
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Sep 24 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
Lol yeah its crazy but everyone does love Halo and WoW... turns out they're the best selling game franchises over the past 20 years.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a wow fanboy. I'm desperate for an mmo to come out that "isn't wow" but browse the what do you like/dont like thread about this game. Its FULL of comments like these.

And dont hate the troll for trolling. I put it in the title of the post... You're the one who clicked it lol. I just wanna save people the money and trouble of buying a game that they'll be disappointed in. I wish someone would have done that for me before I blew 75 bucks.
#10 Sep 24 2010 at 1:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
Mord78 wrote:
Yeah it would be so fail to create an MMO based on the working mechanics of the most successful game of all time within the genre... That idea is just craaazy!

PS When you make a shooter game, it generally follows the same conventions and keybindings as most other shooters. Modern Warfare and Gears of War or Halo share almost all the same features. You don't have to reinvent the genre every time you create a new game.

But really is it too much to ask for for tutorials? Or labeling NPC's? Or an intuitive UI that just works? That's just common sense!

Actually, point of order; being someone who plays a reasonable amount of Modern Warfare 2 in my free time, my house mates just bought Halo: Reach, and the controls are mindbogglingly different. They're just similar enough to lull you into a false sense of familiarity, then you try to sprint and instead punch your teammate in the back of the head. Even first person shooters try to find their own niche in the User Interface department. While I think SE really needs some work in that department, I can't really blame them for trying to be different, I'm willing to wait it out a bit and see how it settles in a few months. **** FFXI still even gets occasional UI changes and updates.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 3:51pm by Hulan
#11 Sep 24 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Default
40 posts
Whiel i have played both WoW and halo...cannot say i love them....pls go now, kthxbye
#12 Sep 24 2010 at 1:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
153 posts
Quote:
Yeah it would be so fail to create an MMO based on the working mechanics of the most successful game of all time within the genre... That idea is just craaazy!


i'll start with this. In this day of MMO's emulating world of warcraft has not gotten a company anywhere. Squeenix has their own forumlas for games which started with ffxi. Square Enix are targeting japanese players primarily. The controls are pretty much exactly the same as ffxi, the way most things work are basically ffxi because this is what the company does to be different. FF games are turn based so to emulate that in a MMO game, the combat is going to feel "slow" and almost like you take turns attacking with the monster.

UI is build for numpad controlling. It's not bad, but it's just not what you are used to. they attempted to make WASD a possibility here, so give them credit for that. But if you want the best gameplay, keep using the numpad or gamepad. Same goes with the mouse. You said you played ffxi, why are you all of a sudden jumping to using your mouse on everything.

Next point. (im moving down the list now) If you walk down the street and you see joe standing near a stand FULL OF DEAD ANIMALS, are you going to assume he's a butcher? yes. The same goes in ffxi. Walk down a market row and look behind each person. I bet you'll figure out what they are selling. Labeling someone takes away from the "realism" of this game. (yes i know it is a fantasy game, but "realism" in this fantasy world is what they are going for. take a look at the market wards.)

i dunno why you're complaining about explanations about everything. Half of the fun of playing (sigh it's day 3 of the pre-release) is figuring all of this stuff out. If you don't want to, quit for a year and come back when all of the guides are written.

And seriously? 10 hours and you haven't figured this stuff out?

Also since i just read your last post. There are tutorials for everything. You just need to look for them. First quest offers combat experience right away, how to do levequests. Then there are TUTORIAL levequests.
____________________________
FFXI :Fenrir / Gael / 75 THF
FFXIV : Figaro / Devan Glasio / XX Conj
My Conjurer Guide
Small Durability and Optimal Rank Guide
#13 Sep 24 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Which amazes me as OP said he played 11, this game is so like 11 its definately a sequel. So as he stated hes just trolling, looking at his post count Id bet he finally got banmned from mmorpg.com


Played it for about a year *7 years ago* when it was relavent and new. Turns out other companies decided to improve on the genre... SE wanted to make a shiney carbon copy of a game that was almost ten years old.

The minor upgrades from ffxi are things that I would expect a few years after the original but they've had almost a decade to work on this and they couldn't even produce a usable UI... just fail.
#14 Sep 24 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Mord78 wrote:
There is also no convenient way to send a tell to another player without typing "/t long drawn out name (message)" every time. Too much to ask to click someones name in the chat window or have a reply function?



After you get a tell just space bar then CTRL+R = auto reply
#15 Sep 24 2010 at 1:54 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
The OP clearly doesnt see the game is working as designed. Hed rather it work they way he wants it. This isnt Burger King, SE has a vision for the game to be successful and it will. They have already stated they are looking at their target audience only (namely ff and ff11 fans).
____________________________
MUTED
#16 Sep 24 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
thehellfire wrote:
The OP clearly doesnt see the game is working as designed. Hed rather it work they way he wants it. This isnt Burger King, SE has a vision for the game to be successful and it will. They have already stated they are looking at their target audience only (namely ff and ff11 fans).


Is the target audience people who like clunky and redundant UI's? Or people who like reading wall-o-text tutorials? Because if that is then I'm totally sorry, please disregard my OP.
#17 Sep 24 2010 at 1:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Mord78 wrote:
thehellfire wrote:
The OP clearly doesnt see the game is working as designed. Hed rather it work they way he wants it. This isnt Burger King, SE has a vision for the game to be successful and it will. They have already stated they are looking at their target audience only (namely ff and ff11 fans).


Is the target audience people who like clunky and redundant UI's? Or people who like reading wall-o-text tutorials? Because if that is then I'm totally sorry, please disregard my OP.

Oh yes an UI that takes 10 minutes to learn is clunky. And well, some of us know how to read and dont mind having to not be hand held through every quest
____________________________
MUTED
#18 Sep 24 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
175 posts
I have to agree with alot of what the OP said here, emphasizing the battle mechanics are horrible and the animations for weaponskills are just boring. Its like we bought and paid for a cake, and got sold the batter. But I'm so willing to give this a go, I'm desperate.
____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#19 Sep 24 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Default
40 posts
I'm happy you apologized, are you going away yet?
#20 Sep 24 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
431 posts
Quote:
PS When you make a shooter game, it generally follows the same conventions and keybindings as most other shooters. Modern Warfare and Gears of War or Halo share almost all the same features. You don't have to reinvent the genre every time you create a new game.


Don't forget that FFXIV is coming to PS3 too. The controls aren't the best for keyboard/mouse user but if you focus too much on that it will become hard to work with Gamepad on PS3. Actually I got used to play with a Gamepad on my PC decently fast.
____________________________
AlexisLucia wrote:
It's ok, my native language is Typo, so I probably would have understood.

#21 Sep 24 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Peopel dont seem to realize this is an MMORPG not an mmo button masher like wow lotro etc

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 4:05pm by thehellfire
____________________________
MUTED
#22 Sep 24 2010 at 2:07 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Mord78 wrote:
thehellfire wrote:
The OP clearly doesnt see the game is working as designed. Hed rather it work they way he wants it. This isnt Burger King, SE has a vision for the game to be successful and it will. They have already stated they are looking at their target audience only (namely ff and ff11 fans).


Is the target audience people who like clunky and redundant UI's? Or people who like reading wall-o-text tutorials? Because if that is then I'm totally sorry, please disregard my OP.

Oh yes an UI that takes 10 minutes to learn is clunky. And well, some of us know how to read and dont mind having to not be hand held through every quest



If you had no experience with this UI and you learn it in ten mins you should apply to MENSA. I'm talking about the *entire* ui not just battle mechanics. All 37 submenu's of the UI including gear, attributes, point system, switching classes, gear stats and definitions, class abriviations, main level vs class level. I could go on for about another 3 pages but I'm sure you see my point.

Most of these confusing stats/abils/abreviations/level mechanics and other things could be fixed with just some simple mouseover tooltips. Like idunno how do mind/intelligence/etc affect my char. I mean day one they should really let you walk through how these things work in game and not force players to spend an hour clicking through menus to "figure it out". Its not making the game easy or "like wow" its making it user friendly and accessable.
#23 Sep 24 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Mord78 wrote:
thehellfire wrote:
Mord78 wrote:
thehellfire wrote:
The OP clearly doesnt see the game is working as designed. Hed rather it work they way he wants it. This isnt Burger King, SE has a vision for the game to be successful and it will. They have already stated they are looking at their target audience only (namely ff and ff11 fans).


Is the target audience people who like clunky and redundant UI's? Or people who like reading wall-o-text tutorials? Because if that is then I'm totally sorry, please disregard my OP.

Oh yes an UI that takes 10 minutes to learn is clunky. And well, some of us know how to read and dont mind having to not be hand held through every quest



If you had no experience with this UI and you learn it in ten mins you should apply to MENSA. I'm talking about the *entire* ui not just battle mechanics. All 37 submenu's of the UI including gear, attributes, point system, switching classes, gear stats and definitions, class abriviations, main level vs class level. I could go on for about another 3 pages but I'm sure you see my point.

Most of these confusing stats/abils/abreviations/level mechanics and other things could be fixed with just some simple mouseover tooltips. Like idunno how do mind/intelligence/etc affect my char. I mean day one they should really let you walk through how these things work in game and not force players to spend an hour clicking through menus to "figure it out". Its not making the game easy or "like wow" its making it user friendly and accessable.

Really 37 for the inventory menu? Are you even playing the same game? Pulling random numbers out your rear doesnt make you any more correct.
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Sep 24 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Default
40 posts
i don't recall any game telling you how attributes affect your char..player figure that out...EVEN you touted most awesome WoW(why arent you playing that now?(shoo..gooooooo!)
#25 Sep 24 2010 at 2:16 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
Inion wrote:
i don't recall any game telling you how attributes affect your char..player figure that out...EVEN you touted most awesome WoW(why arent you playing that now?(shoo..gooooooo!)


Like I said earlier dont hate the troll for trolling... I put it in the thread post for gawds sake.

And to flop sides to hang out with all you fanboys, I really hope they fix these UI issues and other gameplay mechanics. I'm going to give this ff some time to grow on me but lets just say I'm not optimistic. Maybe if I moved to Japan I would understand the game better. Here's to hoping.
#26 Sep 24 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
Quote:
Like I said earlier dont hate the troll for trolling... I put it in the thread post for gawds sake.

its called trolling the troll!
#27 Sep 24 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Default
9 posts
Inion wrote:
Quote:
Like I said earlier dont hate the troll for trolling... I put it in the thread post for gawds sake.

its called trolling the troll!


ROFL nice, touche (is that how you spell too-shay?) my friend... back atcha.
#28 Sep 24 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
153 posts
when was it cool to be a troll? it's a disturbing trend i've noticed lately. In my day we called you ********. now you call yourself trolls and wear it like a badge of honor.

To make this post constructive i'll address the issue of "non flashy" weaponskills that i saw pop up on this thread and a few others that i've been reading over today. We are all fresh level one adventurers in grimy cloth or leather gear picking ourselves up by our bootstraps. If you expect a giant display at level 1, i dont know what to tell you. it's just not going to happen. wait until you get strong and can control the elements. Then i'm sure you'll see your flash.
____________________________
FFXI :Fenrir / Gael / 75 THF
FFXIV : Figaro / Devan Glasio / XX Conj
My Conjurer Guide
Small Durability and Optimal Rank Guide
#29 Sep 24 2010 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
431 posts
Quote:
i don't recall any game telling you how attributes affect your char..


FFXIV does ;)
Just go to an Aetherite (think it's called that way in english) and it will tell you about attributes, elemental resistance, experience vs. routine etc.
____________________________
AlexisLucia wrote:
It's ok, my native language is Typo, so I probably would have understood.

#30 Sep 24 2010 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Auftragskiller wrote:
Quote:
i don't recall any game telling you how attributes affect your char..


FFXIV does ;)
Just go to an Aetherite (think it's called that way in english) and it will tell you about attributes, elemental resistance, experience vs. routine etc.

The troll already admitted to not reading so how the **** is he going to find out other than raging. Id bet the op would eat rat poison and then sue the makers for not telling him it was poisonous even though its printed all over the box.
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Sep 24 2010 at 2:32 PM Rating: Default
40 posts
BAM busted, but yah didnt notice that lol...to busy crafting stuff
#32 Sep 24 2010 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
At first I was going to say that it's pretty obvious you're trying to compare the game to WoW, but you did say this:

Mord78 wrote:
*EDIT: PS I understand that many of these "issues" are because I haven't learned the game sufficiently, but that is exactly my point. After 10 hours of gameplay I should at least feel somewhat comfortable with the game mechanics. I've played mmo's for 6 years now including ffxi online and I'm still lost.


...so I will compare it to XI.

Mord78 wrote:
The UI is the worst design I've ever seen in my life. For example: If you want to open a chest in the world you cant simply click on it there is a lengthy process. You have to stand over it, then click your menu, then find the button in the menu that says interact with object, then click open chest... WTF? Just lemme click it! The same process is needed to interact with everything in the world. Its redundant and just silly.


XI's UI was pretty redundant too. I agree with you on the chest thing though.

Mord78 wrote:
The enter key is used to replace the x button on the ps3 gamepad which is just awkward. Right click maybe? I dont think right click is even used. Also the camera follow function only works when autorun is engaged... (side note, you cant activate autorun unless you are already in motion, why cant I just hit autorun and start running?)


Everything you said here also applies to XI.

Mord78 wrote:
Nothing is labeled and I mean NOTHING. Would it kill SE to label an npc "Eloriana [Cooking Materials}"? This forces you to talk to EVERY npc in the game on the off chance that they might sell something or do something that is useful.


This also applies to XI.

Mord78 wrote:
No zonewide chat functionality? I mean I get the linkshell and I'm sure they have some failreason that they are avoiding spam chat or whatever but avoiding spam by eliminating chat is just dumb. So far I haven't seen any major socializing by the players because you just dont have to so why would you? There is also no convenient way to send a tell to another player without typing "/t long drawn out name (message)" every time. Too much to ask to click someones name in the chat window or have a reply function?


Open your chat (space) and Alt+R/Ctrl+R will let you send a tell to the last person you sent a tell to. The rest of what you said (no zone chat) is also true of XI.

Mord78 wrote:
Combat is slow and awkward. Mobs kind of linger and are lethargic and generally unresponsive. If you're in trouble you can usually just walk away from the mob at a semi brisk mall walk pace and "escape".


Combat is -faster- than XI was, and in XI, a mob usually didn't stop chasing you until you zoned or died.

Mord78 wrote:
Crafting, class changes, the fact that you can only do a certain number of guildleves/quests in a set time period, the experience caps after so many hours, finding and using equipment, repairing equipment... Maybe explain it? ALL OF IT?!?!


It does explain guildleves (FFXI was also limited to one FoV per game day). Finding and repairing equipment are atmittedly a bit confusing. Class changes are as simple as changing your weapon. There are detailed descriptions on crafting and classes available.

Mord78 wrote:
I mean I dont care if the game is abysimally complex as long as there are *interesting* tutorials for how things work. I mean its a **GAME** not a textbook. If I wanted to study I'd just go to class, I want to play a game.


This isn't a game that holds your hand. There are games out there that will hold your hand, this is not one of them. FFXI was also not one of them, so I would assume, if you really had played XI, that you would have expected that, or at least accepted that.

Mord78 wrote:
Oh and the game's pacing is similar to a turtle who just took a bottle of ambien...


Again, it's faster paced than XI, which you claim to have played.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#33scottyknu, Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 2:34 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Don't forget, you gotta pay the troll toll to get into this boy's hole.
#34 Sep 24 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
153 posts
did you really just make an account here to post that? =/
____________________________
FFXI :Fenrir / Gael / 75 THF
FFXIV : Figaro / Devan Glasio / XX Conj
My Conjurer Guide
Small Durability and Optimal Rank Guide
#35 Sep 24 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
a few things I have to point out. Sorry i'm not quoting anyone, but if you're following the post you'll follow what I'm saying...

I've worked in the video game industry for years, this game should not be out yet. With that said, in 6 months it will be vastly improved and I love it now, and will love it more in 6 months! I was a hardcore FFXI fan, along with WoW, and I'd have to say the customizable UI does make me mad bcuz the default is so horrible and you can't move everything, but it's not a game changer so I'm not worried.

As for easy /tell....I have not met a single person who realized their friendslist is in the tab menu. So say your name is John Smith. Type /t Joh <tab> and it'll pop up and you can select "John Smith". Makes sending tells a whole lot easier! I hope this gets to enough people before more start to complain about it because I found it out on accident!

The combat isn't that slow! Compare it to FFXI and you'll realize that. There's no auto attack, but to compensate for that they made your basic attack do more damage and the enemies have less HP/defense than if there was an auto attack. The reason people from WoW feel it's slow is bcuz of the simple logic that faster kills mean more XP (how wow works)...this is not true for FFXIV! If you compared (somehow, i guess it would have do to with math and I'm not doing that) the XP per hour % for WoW and FFXIV, they'd be similar, even though you killed 100 mobs in WoW and only 30 in FFXIV. Although at level 8 rank 9 I'm already 1shotting stuff as a Pug and rank 5 I'm 1shotting stuff as a Lancer.

If there are major issues that you don't like about the game now, and you can't get past them, come back when the PS3 version is released. It's going to be so different you wouldn't believe it. In the next patch alone they're fixing all the chat issues I have, and that's still in the first week of release!

Oh and two last tidbits that always irks me....FFXIV is not being developed mainly for the Japanese. This is the first MMO that is being developed for a WORLDWIDE AUDIENCE! That means the Japanese have a lot of the same issues we're having, and probably saying "this game is aimed too much at americans". The second thing is that FFXI is known as the Third most sucessful MMO of all time (Behind EQ1 and WOW) and is the second longest running MMO (at least of the popular ones). There's still over 300,000 active accounts monthly. I just wanted to point that out to anyone who feels FFXI was a fail =P
#36 Sep 24 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
38 posts
Well, for what it's worth, I'm loving it!
____________________________




#37 Sep 24 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
20 posts
I agree with many points the OP makes. There are lots of lovely small touches in the graphics that make the game beautiful, and it would be far more enjoyable if they had also added some nice touches to the UI as well. As it is the UI is very inefficient. It's commendable to try for originality, but that alone isn't enough. There's no gaming advantage to using a UI that takes multiple clicks when a well designed one reduces the effort needed so you can stay immersed in the game rather than navigating menus.

Having said that, I'm still having lots of fun playing. I have grown used to the UI, even if I don't like it, and I am enjoying the push to explore because you don't have an elaborate preplanned path to go down. The flexible character development system is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to trying out all the various career paths. Plus, the game is so freaking gorgeous that I keep getting drawn in by the amazing artwork thats everywhere, and will put up with some UI awkwardness in order to keep exploring this world.

I can't wait to play more tonight!
____________________________
Regard all phenomena as dreams...
#38 Sep 24 2010 at 2:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
269 posts
Shalazar wrote:
a few things I have to point out. Sorry i'm not quoting anyone, but if you're following the post you'll follow what I'm saying...

I've worked in the video game industry for years, this game should not be out yet. With that said, in 6 months it will be vastly improved and I love it now, and will love it more in 6 months! I was a hardcore FFXI fan, along with WoW, and I'd have to say the customizable UI does make me mad bcuz the default is so horrible and you can't move everything, but it's not a game changer so I'm not worried.

As for easy /tell....I have not met a single person who realized their friendslist is in the tab menu. So say your name is John Smith. Type /t Joh <tab> and it'll pop up and you can select "John Smith". Makes sending tells a whole lot easier! I hope this gets to enough people before more start to complain about it because I found it out on accident!

The combat isn't that slow! Compare it to FFXI and you'll realize that. There's no auto attack, but to compensate for that they made your basic attack do more damage and the enemies have less HP/defense than if there was an auto attack. The reason people from WoW feel it's slow is bcuz of the simple logic that faster kills mean more XP (how wow works)...this is not true for FFXIV! If you compared (somehow, i guess it would have do to with math and I'm not doing that) the XP per hour % for WoW and FFXIV, they'd be similar, even though you killed 100 mobs in WoW and only 30 in FFXIV. Although at level 8 rank 9 I'm already 1shotting stuff as a Pug and rank 5 I'm 1shotting stuff as a Lancer.

If there are major issues that you don't like about the game now, and you can't get past them, come back when the PS3 version is released. It's going to be so different you wouldn't believe it. In the next patch alone they're fixing all the chat issues I have, and that's still in the first week of release!

Oh and two last tidbits that always irks me....FFXIV is not being developed mainly for the Japanese. This is the first MMO that is being developed for a WORLDWIDE AUDIENCE! That means the Japanese have a lot of the same issues we're having, and probably saying "this game is aimed too much at americans". The second thing is that FFXI is known as the Third most sucessful MMO of all time (Behind EQ1 and WOW) and is the second longest running MMO (at least of the popular ones). There's still over 300,000 active accounts monthly. I just wanted to point that out to anyone who feels FFXI was a fail =P

Fairly agree with what your saying, but I have to say working at gamestop doesnt mean worked the gaming industry ;)
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Sep 24 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Shalazar wrote:
a few things I have to point out. Sorry i'm not quoting anyone, but if you're following the post you'll follow what I'm saying...

I've worked in the video game industry for years, this game should not be out yet. With that said, in 6 months it will be vastly improved and I love it now, and will love it more in 6 months! I was a hardcore FFXI fan, along with WoW, and I'd have to say the customizable UI does make me mad bcuz the default is so horrible and you can't move everything, but it's not a game changer so I'm not worried.

As for easy /tell....I have not met a single person who realized their friendslist is in the tab menu. So say your name is John Smith. Type /t Joh <tab> and it'll pop up and you can select "John Smith". Makes sending tells a whole lot easier! I hope this gets to enough people before more start to complain about it because I found it out on accident!

The combat isn't that slow! Compare it to FFXI and you'll realize that. There's no auto attack, but to compensate for that they made your basic attack do more damage and the enemies have less HP/defense than if there was an auto attack. The reason people from WoW feel it's slow is bcuz of the simple logic that faster kills mean more XP (how wow works)...this is not true for FFXIV! If you compared (somehow, i guess it would have do to with math and I'm not doing that) the XP per hour % for WoW and FFXIV, they'd be similar, even though you killed 100 mobs in WoW and only 30 in FFXIV. Although at level 8 rank 9 I'm already 1shotting stuff as a Pug and rank 5 I'm 1shotting stuff as a Lancer.

If there are major issues that you don't like about the game now, and you can't get past them, come back when the PS3 version is released. It's going to be so different you wouldn't believe it. In the next patch alone they're fixing all the chat issues I have, and that's still in the first week of release!

Oh and two last tidbits that always irks me....FFXIV is not being developed mainly for the Japanese. This is the first MMO that is being developed for a WORLDWIDE AUDIENCE! That means the Japanese have a lot of the same issues we're having, and probably saying "this game is aimed too much at americans". The second thing is that FFXI is known as the Third most sucessful MMO of all time (Behind EQ1 and WOW) and is the second longest running MMO (at least of the popular ones). There's still over 300,000 active accounts monthly. I just wanted to point that out to anyone who feels FFXI was a fail =P

Fairly agree with what your saying, but I have to say working at gamestop doesnt mean worked the gaming industry ;)

Darn, you're right...good thing I've worked for EA for a number of years and Sega for a bit =P
#40 Sep 24 2010 at 2:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,949 posts
Mord78 wrote:
touche (is that how you spell too-shay?)

"Touché". Alt-130 (Or Alt-0233) for those without french keyboards.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#41 Sep 24 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Default
*
84 posts
Hulan wrote:
Mord78 wrote:
Yeah it would be so fail to create an MMO based on the working mechanics of the most successful game of all time within the genre... That idea is just craaazy!

PS When you make a shooter game, it generally follows the same conventions and keybindings as most other shooters. Modern Warfare and Gears of War or Halo share almost all the same features. You don't have to reinvent the genre every time you create a new game.

But really is it too much to ask for for tutorials? Or labeling NPC's? Or an intuitive UI that just works? That's just common sense!

Actually, point of order; being someone who plays a reasonable amount of Modern Warfare 2 in my free time, my house mates just bought Halo: Reach, and the controls are mindbogglingly different. They're just similar enough to lull you into a false sense of familiarity, then you try to sprint and instead punch your teammate in the back of the head. Even first person shooters try to find their own niche in the User Interface department. While I think SE really needs some work in that department, I can't really blame them for trying to be different, I'm willing to wait it out a bit and see how it settles in a few months. **** FFXI still even gets occasional UI changes and updates.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 3:51pm by Hulan



Comparing a few button changes in Halo to this type of UI retardation is like comparing a mosquito bite to your head being ripped the **** off by an 800lb silverback gorilla.
#42 Sep 24 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
thehellfire wrote:
Buh Bye, the rest of us who dont want WoW 2 are happy.


So happy you felt the need to post trashtalk. Awesome FF14 community there.
____________________________
#43 Sep 24 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
Shalazar wrote:


I've worked in the video game industry for years, this game should not be out yet.


Do you know who else has worked in the video game industry for years? Square-enix. Just saying.
#44 Sep 24 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
Mord78 wrote:

The UI is the worst design I've ever seen in my life. For example: If you want to open a chest in the world you cant simply click on it there is a lengthy process. You have to stand over it, then click your menu, then find the button in the menu that says interact with object, then click open chest... WTF? Just lemme click it! The same process is needed to interact with everything in the world.
WoW feature
Mord78 wrote:

The enter key is used to replace the x button on the ps3 gamepad which is just awkward. Right click maybe? I dont think right click is even used.

WoW
Mord78 wrote:

Also the camera follow function only works when autorun is engaged... (side note, you cant activate autorun unless you are already in motion, why cant I just hit autorun and start running?)
Also WoW
Mord78 wrote:

Nothing is labeled and I mean NOTHING. Would it kill SE to label an npc "Eloriana [Cooking Materials}"?
Done in wow
Mord78 wrote:

No zonewide chat functionality?

srsly? WoW much?

Mord78 wrote:
There is also no convenient way to send a tell to another player without typing "/t long drawn out name (message)" every time. Too much to ask to click someones name in the chat window or have a reply function?

Finally a real gripe. I agree it is annoying and should be fixed... and they will fix it.
Mord78 wrote:

Crafting, class changes, the fact that you can only do a certain number of guildleves/quests in a set time period, the experience caps after so many hours, finding and using equipment, repairing equipment... Maybe explain it? ALL OF IT?!?!
yes WoW does this for you ffxiv doesnt. The xp cap? I havnt heard from a single person that has actually hit it. Did you hit it after 10hrs of straight play? Didnt think so

Mord78 wrote:
GJ SE you suckered me out of 75 bucks, fool me once I guess. I just hope someone reads this and can resist the shiney graphics long enough to stop themselves from taking out their wallet.

Yes i agree if somebody reads this and realizes IT ISNT FREAKIN WOW then i hope they save thier money. If thats what you want then dont even think of buying FFXIV.

Mord78 wrote:

*EDIT: PS I understand that many of these "issues" are because I haven't learned the game sufficiently, but that is exactly my point. After 10 hours of gameplay I should at least feel somewhat comfortable with the game mechanics. I've played mmo's for 6 years now including ffxi online and I'm still lost.

Edited, Sep 24th 2010 3:30pm by Mord78

I would really really be curious as to for how long you played XI, what level you obtained, and during what time you played it(they've made it more carebear every year after COP expansion).

Is this constant comparison to WoW and whining there after b/c its not WoW getting on anybody elses nerves? I wonder if this would be happening if Cata was out :/. Just FYI everyone SE SPECIFICALLY SAID THEY DID NOT WANT TO COMPETE WITH WOW AT ALL! {Please Listen} {Can you hear me?}
#45 Sep 24 2010 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
there's a difference between the business side and the dev side....what I mean is the Business said said the game must come out this week, the Dev side most likely said it wasn't ready, but the Business side didn't care....Two of the major games I worked on were Battlefield 2 PC and Sims 3 and they both had to have week 1 emergency patches (along with a major patch in the first month) because of this...it's the fact of life that all industries have to live by.
#46 Sep 24 2010 at 3:29 PM Rating: Default
Again for those who are playing this looking to play a keyboard MMO or some sort of WoW clone.

Put down your ego, and pick up a controller. Map your buttons to the classic JRPG style and play. You litterally will shut up about the UI at that point because you'll realize just how much it meshes. It coulden't be more ovious that SE was crafting this based off of a console releace RPG. (Unless you make the UI a bunch of named attacks in a blue box scrolling up and down instead of left to right.) I mean, did the ATP gague not tip you guys off?

If this was a single player game you'd never really be hearing some of these UI complaints. It's because people approached it expecting a WoW clone and got something that's trying to merge the single player and MMO experiences together.

Should there be more support for the keyboard-bound among us? Yes. Shortcuts would be nice that don't involve the mouse specifically. And I'd like to be able to control the camrea in combat with SHIFT + Arrow Keys like I could in FFXI. But otherwise it isn't all that different from FFXI (It's UI is actually better designed in some respects.)

A lot of the complaints being seen are from people that are not used to a new MMO. Should we as players be holding MMOs to a higher standard now that the genera is more flushed out and companies are getting more experienced in the field? Perhaps. But it's also a safe bet to wait on the developments until you get feedback, especialy if you are trying to take something in a new direction. There may be customizations to your own game that need to be tailored at the base level.

In the end I see this like I saw FFXI, an experiment with a new approach. Honestly, I like a lot of what I see here, in spite of the flaws involved. The game simply is NOT 'that bad'. It's just not for everyone.
#47 Sep 24 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
144 posts
Again, use tab after typing /t "part of name" to send tells to people

and I just configed my controller and he's right, it works wonders and feel soo good.
#48 Sep 24 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Honestly, anyone who approached XIV expecting a WoW clone and are raging because it isn't a WoW clone can go die in a fire.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#49 Sep 24 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
Just Alt Gr adds an accent to characters, no need for code. Also if you point out that you yourself are trolling, then by defenition you are not trolling, a troll is abrasive for the sake of annoying people, by saying you doon't mean to offend people you are not trolling, just giving your opinion to people that you know wont appretiate it
#50 Sep 24 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Default
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
ITT: Trolls trolling trolls.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#51Hyrist, S.O.B. Superhero, Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 3:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) ITT: Trolls Trolling trolls trolling trolls.
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)