Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Tanaka Interview - A Look Back As We March ForwardFollow

#1 Sep 25 2010 at 2:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
Volume 13 of Dengeki Games has hit bookstores today, and it contains a sprawling, 30-page Starter Guide to Final Fantasy XIV, which also just came out this week. While some criticism has arisen regarding the lack of in-game tutorials, Japanese players sure won't have to worry, as for 600 yen they have access to pages of details on character creation, navigating menus, classes and abilities and the battle system. Included are also many colorful maps for each city-state and the surrounding areas.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?

Anyway, the real point of this article is to deliver what I can for overseas players: which in this case is an interview with Producer Hiromichi Tanaka printed at the front of this magazine.

Read the interview here
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#2 Sep 25 2010 at 2:22 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I wonder if our version will have "Brady" on the cover lol

Would have been nice if he'd mentioned something about the PS3 release :(

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:29am by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#3 Sep 25 2010 at 2:28 AM Rating: Decent
40 posts
Quote:
I wonder if our version will have "Brady" on the cover lol


Haha, god I hope not. I think it's inevitable it will though...
____________________________
"Move along people - No signature to see here."
#4 Sep 25 2010 at 2:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
I am very interested in this information (that should have been free) so maybe our overseas players will share! *crosses fingers*
#5 Sep 25 2010 at 2:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Nice one Elmer. Just reading things like this really let's me understand where this game is heading.
____________________________

#6 Sep 25 2010 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
there are two sentances which state that both FFXI and FFXIV were not created with any opinion of player base but what SE wants, which has been evident in the past 8 years.
____________________________

#7 Sep 25 2010 at 3:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Tanaka: With surplus points, isit was the terminology that worked against us


Geez, forum posters! You guys were all up in arms just for the naming of the system? Smiley: grin
#8 Sep 25 2010 at 3:40 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
874 posts
I don't want to sound sarcastic or like an @ss, but does this really belong in the FFXI forums?
____________________________
One Tough Kitty!!!
[ffxisig]84252[/ffxisig]
#9 Sep 25 2010 at 3:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
dandantlm wrote:
I don't want to sound sarcastic or like an @ss, but does this really belong in the FFXI forums?

I don't want to sound like an ***, but shouldn't you be in the FF XI forums to say that?
____________________________

#10 Sep 25 2010 at 4:12 AM Rating: Default
*
210 posts
Elmer, will there be future interviews with ZAM or any events where you guys can ask player questions?

I have to know why if they want to focus on Party Play, why they don't add a feature like Vindictus and World of Warcraft have that automatically searches for people that want to do specific guildleves and assign accordingly.

Like, you'd pick your difficulty level, say five stars, and then it gives you a popup saying something like "There's this party forming that wants to do that guildleve/difficulty. Will you participate with them?" Or even just a general search option like "Find Other Players" that would give you a list of all guildleve parties forming.

I think that would be a better way to encourage party play, since most of your time in FFXI was spent partying with random people you didn't know since you couldn't depend on your LS members all the time.
____________________________
R.I.P Teraud, Dragoon main on Seraph (2004-2007)
R.I.P. Atli, Blue Mage main on Seraph (2007-2008)
R.I.P. Silje, Beastmaster main on Odin (2008-2008)
R.I.P. My Final Fantasy XI Account forevahz

Back on ZAM for FFXIV!
#11 Sep 25 2010 at 4:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
216 posts
There is a party system in place. It allows you to set the area, level range, class, amount of people, and even specific guildleve are looking for. People can then search and join automatically. Problem is, no one is using it.
#12 Sep 25 2010 at 4:20 AM Rating: Decent
*
210 posts
TheLufia wrote:
There is a party system in place. It allows you to set the area, level range, class, amount of people, and even specific guildleve are looking for. People can then search and join automatically. Problem is, no one is using it.


Well a search option isn't really as effective as having an actual option at an aethyrite, but either way I didn't even know that existed with an option for guildleves.

I imagine no one's using it because half of the players are still freaking out trying to figure out what to do and where to go, and the other half of the players aren't bothering with the game until they start patching it.
____________________________
R.I.P Teraud, Dragoon main on Seraph (2004-2007)
R.I.P. Atli, Blue Mage main on Seraph (2007-2008)
R.I.P. Silje, Beastmaster main on Odin (2008-2008)
R.I.P. My Final Fantasy XI Account forevahz

Back on ZAM for FFXIV!
#14 Sep 25 2010 at 4:25 AM Rating: Default
*
210 posts
Victrola wrote:
"
dandantlm wrote:
I don't want to sound sarcastic or like an @ss, but does this really belong in the FFXI forums?
"

"
Teneleven wrote:
I don't want to sound like an ***, but shouldn't you be in the FF XI forums to say that?
"

I don't want to sound like I have no problem making sounds, but this does seem better suited for the FFXI gamer forum where players can evaluate it.


2/3rds of the article is about FFXIV. Just because FFXI is mentioned doesn't mean it should only be posted on the FFXI forums.
____________________________
R.I.P Teraud, Dragoon main on Seraph (2004-2007)
R.I.P. Atli, Blue Mage main on Seraph (2007-2008)
R.I.P. Silje, Beastmaster main on Odin (2008-2008)
R.I.P. My Final Fantasy XI Account forevahz

Back on ZAM for FFXIV!
#15 Sep 25 2010 at 4:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
216 posts
Quote:
Tanaka: With surplus points, is was the terminology that worked against us. The system was always designed to counter the more enthusiastic players, and we imagined that 95% of the player base would not be affected; most people would not even know surplus points existed. Now, we are looking at adjustments such as making the 8-hour threshold a 10-hour one, and just as in Vana'diel, we have a message to encourage denizens of Eorzea to take a break before the game negatively impacts their health. There are also RMT to consider, and ultimately, the system should be something that only makes life difficult for them, not the players.


Seems like they're selling it as an anti-RMT measure now.
#16 Sep 25 2010 at 7:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
The interview covers both games, so the article is posted on both the FFXI and FFXIV sites. Two threads seemed unnecessary, so I put it in the FFXIV section since it was a FFXIV feature in the magazine.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#17 Sep 25 2010 at 7:48 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Did the interview mention when it took place? Because it could be that the "rough roadmap" Tanaka is talking about would be the prelive event footage we saw last week.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#18 Sep 25 2010 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
175 posts
Please, don't tell me this is marching forward. Its more like 2 steps back.
____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#19 Sep 25 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
I like the mention of them working on a way to save sets of abilities. Can't wait. =)
#20 Sep 25 2010 at 8:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
They don't specifically say when the interview took place. These monthly magazines usually aren't as up to date as the weeklies, so with no other mention of the event, it's possible he meant Eorzea Prelive.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#21 Sep 25 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Elmer wrote:
They don't specifically say when the interview took place. These monthly magazines usually aren't as up to date as the weeklies, so with no other mention of the event, it's possible he meant Eorzea Prelive.


I think it's more likely that he was talking about information being provided at various points not just "here you go this is everything we're going to do in the next year" being dropped a week after the interview.
#22 Sep 25 2010 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
mortalabattoir wrote:
I have to know why if they want to focus on Party Play, why they don't add a feature like Vindictus and World of Warcraft have that automatically searches for people that want to do specific guildleves and assign accordingly.

Like, you'd pick your difficulty level, say five stars, and then it gives you a popup saying something like "There's this party forming that wants to do that guildleve/difficulty. Will you participate with them?" Or even just a general search option like "Find Other Players" that would give you a list of all guildleve parties forming.

Well, this isn't actually how partying is supposed to go, as SE has described it. When you are in a party, you get credit for all Guildleves even those you do not have activated. SE has said in interviews that it is their wish that people will gather together in large parties and alternate spending Guildleves, meaning all players will get upwards of 128 Guildleves a day. In practicality, it is difficult to do that way, since if you possess a Guildleve when it is activated by someone else, yours is also activated, meaning to be most efficient, you would have to have only one person get all of their leves, then another person go get all of their leves. Honestly, it's not that bad though, since one person can spend 4 Anima and teleport the entire party back to camp or town when someone needs leves. The downtime would be minimal.

BRizzl3 wrote:
Elmer wrote:
They don't specifically say when the interview took place. These monthly magazines usually aren't as up to date as the weeklies, so with no other mention of the event, it's possible he meant Eorzea Prelive.


I think it's more likely that he was talking about information being provided at various points not just "here you go this is everything we're going to do in the next year" being dropped a week after the interview.

Actually for FFXI recently they gave a simple graphic that showed their entire plan for a year and called it a "roadmap". Given that they are using the same terminology here, it's possible that they will indeed do just that.
#23 Sep 25 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
TheLufia wrote:
Quote:
Tanaka: With surplus points, is was the terminology that worked against us. The system was always designed to counter the more enthusiastic players, and we imagined that 95% of the player base would not be affected; most people would not even know surplus points existed. Now, we are looking at adjustments such as making the 8-hour threshold a 10-hour one, and just as in Vana'diel, we have a message to encourage denizens of Eorzea to take a break before the game negatively impacts their health. There are also RMT to consider, and ultimately, the system should be something that only makes life difficult for them, not the players.


Seems like they're selling it as an anti-RMT measure now.


As if any one on earth cares about how quickly RMT levels or even how many logs and ores they're able to harvest. S-E doesn't seem to realize that RMT is not a problem when they are playing the game just like any one else does. It's monopolizing rare spawns or exploiting bugs or even spammming chat with advertisements that's a problem.

Oh yea, one other thing: What's up with them acting like adding male mithra and female galka is some radical concept that they couldn't handle? Is there some thing magical about 8 race/gender combos instead of 10? I realize that 10 is more than 8, but it's 25% more, not 250% more. If it's some thing they wanted to actually do they'd have planned for 10 from the start instead of 8. People didn't start asking about this during alpha, they started asking about it when the races were first revealed. I don't really care that much, since I wouldn't have played a female galka and probably wouldn't have played a male mithra, but it bothers me that they seem to have just flat out lied about wanting to include those gender combos in the game and now they're trying to spin it like it's just some thing that came up at the last minute.

The most interesting aspect of the article to me is Tanaka talking about how FFXIV is really the brainchild of Komoto and some of the other younger developers. If that's true, I wonder how much Tanaka is facilitating their vision and how much he's inhibiting it. It just seems strange that the lead developer is the one who has the least creative stake in the project and/or the one who has the least care about its success.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 12:15pm by KarlHungis
#24 Sep 25 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
164 posts
Best thing about XIV is it got the old guard off of XI and freed it up to be a much more enjoyable game. Hopefully XIV does well enough to keep them away but not so well that it kills XI. Then everyone wins.
#25 Sep 25 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Elmer wrote:
Volume 13 of Dengeki Games has hit bookstores today, and it contains a sprawling, 30-page Starter Guide to Final Fantasy XIV, which also just came out this week. While some criticism has arisen regarding the lack of in-game tutorials, Japanese players sure won't have to worry, as for 600 yen they have access to pages of details on character creation, navigating menus, classes and abilities and the battle system. Included are also many colorful maps for each city-state and the surrounding areas.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?

Anyway, the real point of this article is to deliver what I can for overseas players: which in this case is an interview with Producer Hiromichi Tanaka printed at the front of this magazine.

Read the interview here


Thank you, it was an interesting article.
However... will/can that guide article be translated? Does SE ever think to do things like this for NA or EU magazines, considering that half or more of their customers aren't JP?
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#26 Sep 25 2010 at 12:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Hulan wrote:

Actually for FFXI recently they gave a simple graphic that showed their entire plan for a year and called it a "roadmap". Given that they are using the same terminology here, it's possible that they will indeed do just that.


That would be cool, I hope this is what they do in that case.
#27 Sep 25 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
TheLufia wrote:
Quote:
Tanaka: With surplus points, is was the terminology that worked against us. The system was always designed to counter the more enthusiastic players, and we imagined that 95% of the player base would not be affected; most people would not even know surplus points existed. Now, we are looking at adjustments such as making the 8-hour threshold a 10-hour one, and just as in Vana'diel, we have a message to encourage denizens of Eorzea to take a break before the game negatively impacts their health. There are also RMT to consider, and ultimately, the system should be something that only makes life difficult for them, not the players.


Seems like they're selling it as an anti-RMT measure now.


....Is there a button somewhere that allows me to karma bomb Tanaka? This guy just does not understand anything about the people who play his company's games.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#28 Sep 25 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
771 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:

....Is there a button somewhere that allows me to karma bomb Tanaka? This guy just does not understand anything about the people who play his company's games.


Say whatever you want, but his experience and the success of the games he has worked on say otherwise. I think this game has a bright future, regardless of it's state at this moment.
#29 Sep 25 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
Don't kid yourself, the only reason this game sold as well as it has it because it's named "Final Fantasy XIV". Do you honestly think as many people would be playing if it was called something like Star of War Online?

I like the game, I really do. I just don't think a game should be successful just because it's part of a naming franchise, and frankly that's what SE is counting on.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 2:53pm by SickleSageKiroh
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#30 Sep 25 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
Don't kid yourself, the only reason this game sold as well as it has it because it's named "Final Fantasy XIV". Do you honestly think as many people would be playing if it was called something like Star of War Online?


All I know is I fully enjoyed Closed Beta Phase 3, as well as Open Beta, and I will enjoy the release as well once Standard launches. The game will evolve and grow as all MMOs do, the FF name does help it, but I don't see that as a negative.
#31 Sep 25 2010 at 12:59 PM Rating: Excellent
**
409 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
Don't kid yourself, the only reason this game sold as well as it has it because it's named "Final Fantasy XIV". Do you honestly think as many people would be playing if it was called something like Star of War Online?


All I know is I fully enjoyed Closed Beta Phase 3, as well as Open Beta, and I will enjoy the release as well once Standard launches. The game will evolve and grow as all MMOs do, the FF name does help it, but I don't see that as a negative.


Naturally it will, I just don't want SE trying to pass off assanine game mechanics as "anti-RMT" measures and then expect people to just deal with it because it's Final Fantasy XIV.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#32 Sep 25 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
29 posts
Who remembers looking through the XI guide and seeing Warrior/Whm a good supplement for paladin?
#33 Sep 25 2010 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:
Who remembers looking through the XI guide and seeing Warrior/Whm a good supplement for paladin?


That one bad thing overshadowed everything else that was helpful in the Brady guide. It had a lot of things that I used for years:
*beginning recipes for every craft
*beginning quests for all 3 starter areas
*lists of all spells, traits and abilities for every job
*a decent bestiary
*maps and missions for each city
*how to get your advanced jobs

I could go on, but yea, Brady had a bad rep for one screwy thing imo.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#34 Sep 25 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
*
108 posts
I have the Brady guide, and trust me, there's a lot more bad advice than that. Interestingly, they specifically say WAR/WHM is "not for party use." The most annoying part about the Warrior section was the complete dismissal of WAR as a viable DD. They were convinced that WAR was only useful as a main tank, that the only good sub for WAR was PLD, and the best DD sub (why would you ever do that!?) was THF. THF was the only DD sub they suggested. Super awesome times trying to party with a bunch of new players going WAR/THF and trying to tank in the Dunes. By the way, PLD and THF were the only two subs they suggested besides WHM. With their insistence that WAR is only a tank, you'd think they'd suggest /MNK for the extra enmity from Boost or something, at least at lower levels, but no, you're either /PLD or /THF.

Remember, it's mostly new players who look at the guide. I'm not saying /THF is horrible at all levels and I'm not saying /MNK is a great choice at all levels. I'm saying when all you have is the 5 starting jobs and you're piddling around in the Dunes, /MNK is going to serve you better than /THF whether you're tanking or DD, especially before Sneak Attack. It's like going /NIN on any job before 20(24).

By the way, my 2003 version only had skills and crafts up to 50, was missing some zones, all the missions after rank 5, and had an incomplete bestiary. I'm pretty sure the level cap was already 75 in 2003, but I'm not really positive. It all kind of runs together after a while.

As a whole the Brady guide was really only slightly worse than passable. The Warrior section, though, was almost entirely bad.

Oh, and they put Dragoon last, those jerks. Dragoon should be the first advanced job listed because it's awesome and because I say so.

Yes, I pulled out my Brady guide for this post. It's the 2003 version.
#35 Sep 25 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
DragoonRising wrote:

Yes, I pulled out my Brady guide for this post. It's the 2003 version.


^^ I still have mine too. 1st printing ftw
OK, I should've said.. ignore the job combo recommendations because that was all mostly stupid.
The rest was fairly good.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#36 Sep 26 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
I'd love to buy this issue of Dengeki! Does anyone know an online retailer who sells this magazine and ships to the U.S.?
#37 Sep 26 2010 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Elmer wrote:
Volume 13 of Dengeki Games has hit bookstores today, and it contains a sprawling, 30-page Starter Guide to Final Fantasy XIV, which also just came out this week. While some criticism has arisen regarding the lack of in-game tutorials, Japanese players sure won't have to worry, as for 600 yen they have access to pages of details on character creation, navigating menus, classes and abilities and the battle system. Included are also many colorful maps for each city-state and the surrounding areas.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?
I think it's a problem that a 3rd party needs to sell a tutorial for SE's game.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#38 Sep 26 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
bsphil wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Volume 13 of Dengeki Games has hit bookstores today, and it contains a sprawling, 30-page Starter Guide to Final Fantasy XIV, which also just came out this week. While some criticism has arisen regarding the lack of in-game tutorials, Japanese players sure won't have to worry, as for 600 yen they have access to pages of details on character creation, navigating menus, classes and abilities and the battle system. Included are also many colorful maps for each city-state and the surrounding areas.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?
I think it's a problem that a 3rd party needs to sell a tutorial for SE's game.


It's a gaming magazine... you've never seen a guide in a Nintendo Power/Playstation Magazine/PC Gamer/etc?
#39 Sep 28 2010 at 1:19 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
I past by a Japanese Bookstore earlier and saw this. I would probably go back to pick it up just for the **** of it. I am a FFXIV fan after all!
____________________________
Check out my awesome adventure at http://fantaji.com/-/5Bc . If you don't know about Fantaji then you're missing out!
#40 Sep 28 2010 at 4:13 AM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
Quote:
Tanaka: With surplus points, is was the terminology that worked against us. The system was always designed to counter the more enthusiastic players, and we imagined that 95% of the player base would not be affected; most people would not even know surplus points existed. Now, we are looking at adjustments such as making the 8-hour threshold a 10-hour one, and just as in Vana'diel, we have a message to encourage denizens of Eorzea to take a break before the game negatively impacts their health.


Translation: The lawyers forced this on us.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#41 Sep 28 2010 at 5:23 AM Rating: Decent
**
658 posts
You do know that sometimes the japanese players can also do realy long gaming sessions, especialy the NEETs (Not in Employment, Education or Training) and Hikkikomoris. Some of them would look at the guys who were passing out while fighting pandemonium warden and laugh at them for being lightweights when it comes to extended gaming sessions.
____________________________
[ffxisig]121077[/ffxisig]
#42 Sep 28 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
It's either:

"We can avoid any future lawsuits this way."

OR

"We can cut our server bandwidth and increase profits by limiting play time"


I'm kinda leaning toward the second.



Regardless if you are paying a monthly fee you should be able to play as much as you like.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 10:06am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)