this is merely a rant, im not going into how much FF14 is awesome, how ground breaking it is in both gameplay or graphics. this thread is purely for my own sanity so feel free to sub default it =)
1. non gameplay complaints
2. elitism in MMOs
1. im sick and tired of hearing about non-gameplay complaints. lag, UI, downloading updates, installing, and setting up accounts are an entity in and of itself that have no bearing on the actual game nor should have any bearing on reviews or opinions of the game. this is the equivalent of playing a game on my Xbox with a scratched disk and being ****** off at the developers of the game and not myself or shipping that scratched the disk. YES i might not be able to play that game on my xbox very well because it will disk read error over a scratch but that has nothing to do with the game itself. i would have no right to complain about the game(although i can complain about the scratch all i want for all the good it will do). all of these issues will be fixed in time.
its called a MMO and if you're new to the start of one eat a humble pie and wait it out. this is the exact reason you're not charged for the first month of subscription. complain all you want about how they should push back release dates of games until its perfect but its impossible to get a game to perfect state if you run out of money getting there. this breaks off in to two points. one, an MMO releases "early" to help start funds because after 5 years of no profit for a certain project a company wants to start making money. two, to stress test servers and hack out bugs that developers/programmers simply cant find and fix by themselves in any decent time.
TLDR: get over it.
2. do MMO players really think they're the elite in gaming? this is a general question. everyday i hop on the forums to check things out and i hear complaints about learning curves, difficulty, things not being straight forward, having to click too many buttons, etc... most games, and it seems FF14 is leaning more toward this, require more than a few clicks a minute. FF14 is not 11. in 11 you can auto attack and make a sandwich. yet i constantly read the contradiction of gamers saying that they're good but then complain about having to do stuff. your skill level and (true) APM(Actions Per Minute) are either high enough to handle an engaging system or they're not, but don't say they are and then complain. i love MMORPGs, they're massive time sinks that give satisfaction and the online friend building atmosphere is greater than any other genre; however, lets face it. MMORPGs are more time and knowledge intensive than skill and APM intensive(not to say skill and APM arnt in MMORPGs because they are and certainly help).
TLDR: stop being a poser and L2P
3. WoW is that anorexic chick in high school who was really popular and had 12 million facebook friends but when u got to meet her in person the only thing going for her was her lipstick. anyone over 12 can see that. if you're over 12 and you play WoW i dont hate you. i understand there are many factors that brought you into the game and there are many factors keeping you there. it takes a lot to get out of an MMO. most WoW(and MMO players in large) are caught up in the lootz race. its a vicious cycle of wanting X or Y gear that take months to halves of years to get just for the company to release a Z gear for you to go after for another half year.
WoW is not FF14 and FF14(unlike aion) isnt a WoW clone. you're entitled to your ignorant or misguided opinions but if you're coming from WoW to FF14 and you're not satisfied because there are no space goats(although there are nekos)or you cant spam the jump button then kindly go back to WoW and spend a year growing up with that game and rejoin FF14 when you're both more mature. it will do you, the community, and the game good and PLEASE skip the childish phase of creating a bogus account just to post doom and gloom threads.
TLDR: WoW sucks
allow me to retort.
1. all kidding aside, UI isn't part of the gameplay? are you daft? i'm not trying to be insulting, but you're trying to say that the interface between you and the game isn't part of the game play? i can agree with you on the rest of the issues with lag, updater, and accounting -- but the UI is a very pivotal part of the game -- and it needs to be fixed before i even consider playing.
2. you can make a game that has high APM without being inefficient. this has nothing to do with elitism, it just has to do with being efficient and the game designers realizing that you can do this without breaking functionality.
3. i'm really sick of hearing about WoW. Any thread that has started out to be constructive about the games faults has devolved into a WoW-bashing *** fest. It's tired, and quite frankly, a cop-out. It's an easy outlet for anybody who wants to defend the fact that FFXIV developers have apparently learned nothing about MMO development outside of their little cloud for the past 5 years.
i want to be clear, i don't play WoW. I did the trial for 3 days and I did not like it.
You know what, I've played every single FF game to date. I love the franchise, the story lines, the combat systems, everything. I played FFXI to endgame, camped HNMs, yadda, yea yea -- and I quit. I quit because of a few reasons, but mainly because of the serious void that I felt in the relationship between the developers and the players. I realized that there are games out there where the developers interact and rapport with their player base.
To me, it seemed that Square-JPN cared little what their local player base thought, let alone the yanks over seas. I felt like a cash-cow being milked, as if the game was translated merely for a few extra bucks.
That feeling hasn't gone away, and I'll continue to send feedback to SE corporate as well as voice my opinion on a public forum.