Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

This Game is More Casual Then WoWFollow

#1 Sep 25 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Default
**
415 posts
There are tutorials and they are not that hard to find.

Well I decided to try out the crafting classes last night and see how they work. I picked up a leve then I went to do it. I noticed online that it required wind crystals I only had 3 so I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it considering I needed to do the synthesis 5 times. So I get the quest and start the synthesis. I noticed that after each synthesis I still had my 3 crystals even when I FAILED the synthesis. So I turn in the 5 synthesis that I had created and noticed that I was rank 4 Weaver with very little effort and I didn't even have to farm my own materials or crystals, either I already had them(crystals) or they were given to me(materials).

That is the point of my whole post. You don't really have to quest for anything because everything is GIVEN to you. I don't think alot of people realize how different this is from XI where you had to quest for maps, spells, gear, weapons, crafting mats, etc. You don't have to do that in XIV. They took those time syncs away with leves. Now I understand why there is a downtime on them. One thing I did like about WoW was that I could log in for 5 minutes and accomplish something. Now the same can be said about XIV. I can log in do a leve get a few crafting/exp levels then log off. XI I could log in for 5 hours and get nothing I wanted accomplish.

Anyone knows what happens if I don't turn in the armor I crafted for the leves? Will I be able to pick that leve again?
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#2 Sep 25 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
I'm having a hard time seeing your point. There isn't much of a tutorial from what I have seen. Wow holds your hand a lot during the beginning, so I really don't see what you are getting at here.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:25pm by GramDainsleif
#3 Sep 25 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
Try saying that again when you're leveling a battle class and you're out of leves. It's like smashing your head repeatedly against a very solid brick wall for several hours.

Oh but don't get me wrong I like the game a lot. I think the major thing I disliked about the game before release was that I knew everything was going to be deleted so I could never get into it. Now I'm going at everything full-force and it's much more interesting.
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#4 Sep 25 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
No, that leve will just remain incomplete until you turn in the products. But the things you make aren't "real" in the sense that you can use them, they're like key items that stay tagged to your leve quest.

Crafting leves really are great. They give us a means of leveling the craft without having to supply any materials. Of course we don't get any items out of it though. Definitely a huge step forward from the crafting system in FFXI.
#5 Sep 25 2010 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
GramDainsleif, Hero Among Heroes wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing your point. There isn't much of a tutorial from what I have seen. Wow holds your hand a lot during the beginning, so I really don't see what you are getting at here.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:25pm by GramDainsleif


If you talk to the NPC you first meet (Momodi in Ul'Dah) they have the tutorial options. Also any Aetheryte has an option that tells you basic game mechanics. The tutorial isn't sprung upon you no, you have to seek for it yourself.
#6 Sep 25 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
29 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif, Hero Among Heroes wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing your point. There isn't much of a tutorial from what I have seen. Wow holds your hand a lot during the beginning, so I really don't see what you are getting at here.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:25pm by GramDainsleif


If you talk to the NPC you first meet (Momodi in Ul'Dah) they have the tutorial options. Also any Aetheryte has an option that tells you basic game mechanics. The tutorial isn't sprung upon you no, you have to seek for it yourself.


That just kind of shows that it is less casual than WoW though even though I hate comparing two completely different games. WoW's tutorial forces itself on you while this one you have to find it yourself. I still can't really see his point.
#7 Sep 25 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
I don't think the tutorial was really the focus of his post but rather that leves only take about 5 minutes to complete and yield pretty good rewards both in exp and gil/items while requiring zero materials on your end.
#8 Sep 25 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Default
29 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
I don't think the tutorial was really the focus of his post but rather that leves only take about 5 minutes to complete and yield pretty good rewards both in exp and gil/items while requiring zero materials on your end.


Ok yeah. I see now what he means. I had a hard time understanding what he was getting at.
#9 Sep 25 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif, Hero Among Heroes wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing your point. There isn't much of a tutorial from what I have seen. Wow holds your hand a lot during the beginning, so I really don't see what you are getting at here.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:25pm by GramDainsleif


If you talk to the NPC you first meet (Momodi in Ul'Dah) they have the tutorial options. Also any Aetheryte has an option that tells you basic game mechanics. The tutorial isn't sprung upon you no, you have to seek for it yourself.


That just kind of shows that it is less casual than WoW though even though I hate comparing two completely different games. WoW's tutorial forces itself on you while this one you have to find it yourself. I still can't really see his point.


Well the tutorial is optional but it is there. Well when you do leve quest for exp you don't even have to really find the mobs because they spawn the mobs for you all you have to do is go hunt them and they are your mobs not anyone else. Same with the crafting leves you don't have to go kill mobs for mats because they give you everything you need. Even in wow you have to farm your own mats to craft. The spells are another thing you get them as you level. No need to even go to an NPC to buy them or get a quest for them. It only takes like 10-20 mins to do most leves. I don't see how you can't see even WoW isn't this casual.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#10 Sep 25 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Default
29 posts
jakarai wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif, Hero Among Heroes wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing your point. There isn't much of a tutorial from what I have seen. Wow holds your hand a lot during the beginning, so I really don't see what you are getting at here.

Edited, Sep 25th 2010 1:25pm by GramDainsleif


If you talk to the NPC you first meet (Momodi in Ul'Dah) they have the tutorial options. Also any Aetheryte has an option that tells you basic game mechanics. The tutorial isn't sprung upon you no, you have to seek for it yourself.


That just kind of shows that it is less casual than WoW though even though I hate comparing two completely different games. WoW's tutorial forces itself on you while this one you have to find it yourself. I still can't really see his point.


Well the tutorial is optional but it is there. Well when you do leve quest for exp you don't even have to really find the mobs because they spawn the mobs for you all you have to do is go hunt them and they are your mobs not anyone else. Same with the crafting leves you don't have to go kill mobs for mats because they give you everything you need. Even in wow you have to farm your own mats to craft. The spells are another thing you get them as you level. No need to even go to an NPC to buy them or get a quest for them. It only takes like 10-20 mins to do most leves. I don't see how you can't see even WoW isn't this casual.


Probably because I haven't stepped foot in the crafting field yet. That does seem like a little too much. I could understand the leves doing that at low level because you are first starting the game, but the fact that they give you every mat for crafting is a little bit too much.
#11 Sep 25 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
I don't think the tutorial was really the focus of his post but rather that leves only take about 5 minutes to complete and yield pretty good rewards both in exp and gil/items while requiring zero materials on your end.


Ok yeah. I see now what he means. I had a hard time understanding what he was getting at.


Disregard my other post.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#12 Sep 25 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:

Probably because I haven't stepped foot in the crafting field yet. That does seem like a little too much. I could understand the leves doing that at low level because you are first starting the game, but the fact that they give you every mat for crafting is a little bit too much.


You don't keep anything you make during a leve, the only thing you walk away with is experience and the leve reward. After about level 10 leveling a craft solely on leves becomes really slow, so if you're serious about crafting that's when you'd start acquiring materials and making "real" items for exp or use.
#13 Sep 25 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
SickleSageKiroh wrote:
Try saying that again when you're leveling a battle class and you're out of leves. It's like smashing your head repeatedly against a very solid brick wall for several hours.

Oh but don't get me wrong I like the game a lot. I think the major thing I disliked about the game before release was that I knew everything was going to be deleted so I could never get into it. Now I'm going at everything full-force and it's much more interesting.



^ Same.


As far as the OP goes, it is laughable to say this game is more casual than WoW.

Though it is WAY more casual than FFXI was back in the day; and that's a welcome change.
#14 Sep 25 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
I personally have lots of fun on DoH classes
I get to learn the new recipes (of course there are recipes on the web) and also I make gil from the leves and do not have to supply the mats for the synthesis.

then I can use the rewards from leves and invest them on mats and craft the items myself for sale --> and then make gil to buy equipments
____________________________
モスタル


#15 Sep 25 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Default
29 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:

Probably because I haven't stepped foot in the crafting field yet. That does seem like a little too much. I could understand the leves doing that at low level because you are first starting the game, but the fact that they give you every mat for crafting is a little bit too much.


You don't keep anything you make during a leve, the only thing you walk away with is experience and the leve reward. After about level 10 leveling a craft solely on leves becomes really slow, so if you're serious about crafting that's when you'd start acquiring materials and making "real" items for exp or use.


That seems kind of pointless. The point of crafting is to create items to be used throughout the world and stimulate an economy. I don't understand why they wouldn't let you keep what you create.
#16 Sep 25 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
167 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:

Probably because I haven't stepped foot in the crafting field yet. That does seem like a little too much. I could understand the leves doing that at low level because you are first starting the game, but the fact that they give you every mat for crafting is a little bit too much.


You don't keep anything you make during a leve, the only thing you walk away with is experience and the leve reward. After about level 10 leveling a craft solely on leves becomes really slow, so if you're serious about crafting that's when you'd start acquiring materials and making "real" items for exp or use.


That seems kind of pointless. The point of crafting is to create items to be used throughout the world and stimulate an economy. I don't understand why they wouldn't let you keep what you create.


Have you never done a quest that wanted you to gather items to help the forces? I mean they might want you to use your skills to help someone other than yourself. Like story wise. I'm not in game, but I don't fine it pointless at all.
#17 Sep 25 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Default
29 posts
Nylianna wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:

Probably because I haven't stepped foot in the crafting field yet. That does seem like a little too much. I could understand the leves doing that at low level because you are first starting the game, but the fact that they give you every mat for crafting is a little bit too much.


You don't keep anything you make during a leve, the only thing you walk away with is experience and the leve reward. After about level 10 leveling a craft solely on leves becomes really slow, so if you're serious about crafting that's when you'd start acquiring materials and making "real" items for exp or use.


That seems kind of pointless. The point of crafting is to create items to be used throughout the world and stimulate an economy. I don't understand why they wouldn't let you keep what you create.


Have you never done a quest that wanted you to gather items to help the forces? I mean they might want you to use your skills to help someone other than yourself. Like story wise. I'm not in game, but I don't fine it pointless at all.


Yeah I have, but you'd think they would have you craft some basic gear for your class or something.
#18 Sep 25 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
167 posts
Does they game not allow you to craft armor. I mean go farm mats and make stuff.
#19 Sep 25 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Yes, of course you can gather materials and craft anything you want to keep for yourself. Think of crafting leves like contracts. So and So hires you to make 5 chainmail tunics. You make them, earning experience points, then give them to the person who hired you and they pay you. I don't see what's pointless at all about that. In fact that's quite realistic.
#20 Sep 25 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
GramDainsleif wrote:

Yeah I have, but you'd think they would have you craft some basic gear for your class or something.


You can craft whatever you want for yourself. And you can even buy most basic materials from NPC vendors. But no one's going to give you materials for free.
#21 Sep 25 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Default
29 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
GramDainsleif wrote:

Yeah I have, but you'd think they would have you craft some basic gear for your class or something.


You can craft whatever you want for yourself. And you can even buy most basic materials from NPC vendors. But no one's going to give you materials for free.


Understandable. When I played XI the crafting system wasn't very rewarding. I'm pretty optimistic on this one.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)