Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Love, FFXIV, and complete dissappointmentFollow

#1 Sep 26 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
25 posts
The love included in the title is really only there for dramatic effect. Although I may use that word in the following shpeal. This post is basically just stating that I will be going back to FF11 after I really try to play this game for the next month.


How can you enjoy this game? From the start, the character creation was enjoyable. I liked the different styles, and the variety of colors in hair and skin are great! However, I couldn't figure out how to rotate my character. Perhaps I'm an ignoramus, or perhaps there is no rotating function for your character. Either way, it annoyed me a bit.
I don't understand the point in picking the day your character was born under the fifth sun or the sixth umbral moon or whatever. And guardian? Yeah, I just kinda skipped through it all. Maybe I've gotten lazy over the years with the whole RPG-Immersion element, or maybe I'm just not reading some lore, or something.
Next is class picking - Well, the little starting outfits are kinda cool, I decide to choose lancer. (Note: I went through the races, and see that all of them have the same starting gear for their classes. That was alright - But does anyone else miss the starting RSE in FF11?)

Starting the game introduces me into yes, a well-made (visually) cutscene where a voice tells me to feel and think about her. I am then attacking jelly fish on a ship. I actually liked that, because the weather effects and the rocking ship made it feel quite good to simply be on this big ship fighting! The rain looked awesome coming down from the stormy sky, and this was a high point of my gameplay.

And this is where the rest of my typing begins to sound like the BFF video review that came up today - The rest of the game I just didn't enjoy at all. Long, long walks; weird sounding voices; no auto attack; no instructions or directions; and an overall longing to play 11. I really liked the design style in 11 compared to this. (1 good thing: Music is still very nice!)

But I want to talk about the magic of Final Fantasy XI, and where it's all missing for me in this game. Does nobody else feel this? For some reason, 11 was just so much more than quick text conversations with a room filled of 40 NPCs and you only talk to 1, before you then run and run and run to a quest. Thinking now, FF11 was the very same thing - But I just don't understand, I loved, LOVED 11 so much more than this.


Thinking about what I really want to say, finally, I have a question.
Can anyone help me figure out why I hate FFXIV so much, and cannot WAIT to return to FF11? They are the same thing, but 14 has far less jaggedy graphics.

P.S. Why the **** doesn't 14 have an auto attack? I know some people don't like that, but in a game where you have to grind to get experience, sitting there pressing the 1 button does not make it a fun, immersive experience. I actually prefer to have auto attack, so I can more freely speak with the people in the area, or just do other things while I wait for the rabbit to die.

Edited, Sep 26th 2010 7:04pm by sodaworks
#2 Sep 26 2010 at 5:09 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
It doesnt have auto attack because SE thinks people enjoy mashing buttons. These very people think auto-attack "plays the game for them" and they dont like it. I've been to these forums for a long time and this was what people think of auto-attack.
#3 Sep 26 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
I think one of the primary reasons they didn't do auto attack is because they've tried to make it incredibly tough for RMT to bot through the game.

Regardless, RMT's biggest "asset" is an in-game economy where currency is hard to get: remove that factor, and rmt fade to nothing.

#4 Sep 26 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
25 posts
That makes sense, I didn't think of RMT. However, i still don't enjoy the lack of Auto Atk.
It's not my biggest concern though. The game is just **** poor to me right now, and I'm really struggling to play any more.
#5 Sep 26 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
189 posts
Honestly, I don't know what to say to you. Some people will love it and others will simply hate it; some have decided to hate it from the very start.

I played FFXI for over 7 years, and I am loving every single minute of FFXIV. I've met a great community, have gotten addicted to crafting, and love doing leves and/or grinding with different jobs. The world is beautiful, big, and bright.

I love the main storyline,(gridania and Limsa's so far, I haven't checked Uldah's storyline yet) and I cant wait until faction leves start, and see where that will take us.

Honestly, it's everything I was expecting and more, minus the obvious annoyances like the lag.

All I can say to you is, if you're happy playing FFXI, then be happy that you can go back to it ^_^ .

As they say, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I can only see FFXIV getting better and better/
____________________________
FFXIV: Kendall Lawliet, Lindblum Server

____________________________________
FFXI: Inch 75 bst / 75 thf / 75 blm
and others not worth mentioning.
_______________________________________________

Sore WOW . Level 49 Undead Mage. Boulderfist Server.
__________________________________________________

Inchy:SMN 69/WHM 46
#6 Sep 26 2010 at 5:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
213 posts
ghosthacked wrote:
I think one of the primary reasons they didn't do auto attack is because they've tried to make it incredibly tough for RMT to bot through the game.


i really hope you are wrong because that makes me feel like RMT not only messed up FFXI but it really messed up FFXIV.. sad face...
#7 Sep 26 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,087 posts
Pretend you're working in an office building, tucked away in your little cubicle with hundreds of others nearby. You've been doing this job for many years now using the same equipment. The computer that's exceptionally slow, the photocopier and printer that never seem to be working when you need them the most. You come to HATE these things, you complain on a regular basis with your coworkers about how terrible said equipment is. Finally the talking heads decide they're going to upgrade the office equipment. Everyone is excited and happy they're finally going to get something that works.

Enter human nature.

We expect that we will pick up new things quickly and easily until we actually try it. Once we realize that it's not as easy as we thought we declare it impossible to do. So once this new equipment comes in and everyone doesn't know how to use it perfectly the first time they get annoyed say it's crap and will go so far as to say they want the old equipment back, because that stuff WORKED.


I believe that is the same thing you're experiencing right now. Just with games rather then an office. not to say I don't agree with you about the game. The only things stopping me from playing it are the non-customizable user interface and the fact that getting new armor is a task and a half without an auction house. I'm going to lurk the forums while I wait for said things to be implemented into the game before I sink money into it.
#8 Sep 26 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
25 posts
Haha yeah, I agree with you on that one. I used to tell everyone (when asking me why I played FF11).. "It takes a special person to really enjoy FF11." Because really, the game had so many things to hate, but I loved it all.

I guess 14 just missed the mark for me. I'm going to keep playing until my free month is over, and maybe I'll start enjoying it after I figure out how to craft, level up more, etc.

And yeah, I can always go back. :)
#9 Sep 26 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
Actually me's fine with no auto attack. By now I got my action bar almost filled completely with native skills and nifty skills from other jobs. It feels like I'm actually doing something every other second, it makes me feel involved. Sure...when the doorbell rings and ya got a tough one at yer ****, poor person standing outside waiting. =P

I still understand how ya feel though. For me it's because several vital parts of the game are missing. I just can't bother myself to do anything with retainers, other than using my own as mule. Selling items to an NPC (which at least doesn't give half bad moneys) is a nightmare. I just had to sell a ton of stuff my retainer was holding, simply because it was full and me's not going to wait until some random stranger happens to stumble upon my retainer in the middle of a hundred other ones selling the same crap as mine. And I guess only the most sadistic ones here are actually checking through all them on a daily basis to better their chara (I just can't do it anymore).

The strange part is, despite my rage here and there, I still enjoy the game for what it has to offer right now. I chose a few crafts I'm concentrating on, mainly goldsmithing right now. At least I try to level it, me's out of wind shards and no clue where I got the ones I used up from. I felt happy when I made my first +1 item, wearing it with pride (the only two pieces of new gear I got...a ring and a choker, made by myself). Yea, me's so gimped by now but hey, still having fun. Today I finally decided to walk all the way from Gridania to Ul'dah, and me only died twice! It felt nice when I reached the safe camp near Ul'dah and knew that nothing dangerous is going to happen to me anymore. I also made some nice screenies on the way. Also....dragons....DRAGONS! Not to mention the huge one from the opening.

So yea, me's just trying to enjoy what's fun right now. I take the game with a huge load of salt for now, and see where it gets me until some important things are added to the game. It could be better, certainly, but here and there I can feel the magic I once felt in FFXI. Yea!
____________________________
FFXI: Rynaria - Mithra on Kujata [retired]
FFXIV: Fancia Dragonkeeper - Miqo'te on Besaid
#10 Sep 26 2010 at 5:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
257 posts
sodaworks wrote:
That makes sense, I didn't think of RMT. However, i still don't enjoy the lack of Auto Atk.
It's not my biggest concern though. The game is just **** poor to me right now, and I'm really struggling to play any more.


Then stop playing and come back in 6 months to 1yr when more has been added and bugs have been worked out.

ALL MMOs have problems/lack of gameplay at release they are made to evolve not stay exactly the same for 10yrs and nothing added, why do you think ppl play em for so long.

Look at the content from XI at the origanal jp release Link.

It was just like XIV at release next to no content no chocos, no airships, no AH and even almost no gameplay (could be due to the fact the servers could never stay up lol), infact alot worse with server crashes.
____________________________
FFXI (Long since retired)
Delsus
Server: Cerberus

FFXIV
Delsus Highwind
Server: Ragnarok
#11 Sep 26 2010 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,141 posts
I think the issue is three-fold:

A) You're looking back on FFXI through rose colored lenses. Nostalgia plays a pretty big part of why I too remember loving FFXI to death when I started playing it. More likely than not, there were lots of issues with it upon release as well.

B) Playing along with that, FFXI was released to most of us here on Allakhazam several months after it's actual Japanese release. They had time to iron out a good deal of kinks (heck, they already had an expansion by the time it got to us). Because of this, FFXI seemed to be more polished from the start.

C) And lastly, at this point in FFXI's life, it is better than FFXIV. It's had so much more time to mature in nearly every way.

The moral of all this is: Give it time. FFXIV is set up wonderfully to be one of the most immersive, beautiful, and down right amazing games of all time. We just need to let it grow.
____________________________
Striveldt

FFXIV: Lancer, Fisher, Culinarian
FFXI: DRK 55, WAR 30, THF 27, DRG 27 (all retired)
WoW: Hunter 70, Warrior 29, Druid 26, Warlock 22, Shaman 19 (all retired)
EQII: Shadowknight 36 (retired)
#12 Sep 26 2010 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
25 posts
I understand it has potential and needs growth, but I'm just so disappointed right -now-. Hopefully I can let it grow on me and continue playing, but if not i'm shippin' back to what I know. And I do remember 11 as being absolutely glorious when I first started playing upon NA Release. I sat in the middle of San'Doria and I didn't know how to move, I had never played an MMO where I could use the keyboard to do everything. But for some reason, that experience of not knowing how to move was enjoyable. I had a friend over, we were laughing about it, I asked someone around me for help, made friends, and things just got better from there. I just don't know.
But I do agree with you, XIV does seem to be set up that way - something that can become really, really wonderful.
#13 Sep 26 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Excellent
I have to agree : \

When I started FFXI it was so much fun! I didn't have to 'get used to it' or 'let it grow on me'.

This game is not like that so far, and to be honest, I really haven't had much desire to play. I've played about 2 days since I got it, and I'm really sad because I *really* wanted it to be good. I held off all judgment of the beta, and it's not *terrible* but it just doesn't have 'it' right now.

And honestly, an auction house would help so much. I hate to keep harping on it, but if I knew I could go browse and see that some things I can gather or craft sell well, or plan money making schemes, or just find new equipment, etc, I think I'd be having a lot more fun.

Well, and a better UI. I don't know if I can get over it or not. It still lags a bit, especially when crafting it's pretty terrible. And so many extra confirmation windows and needless extra stuff make it a constant irritation.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#14 Sep 26 2010 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
213 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I have to agree : \

When I started FFXI it was so much fun! I didn't have to 'get used to it' or 'let it grow on me'.

This game is not like that so far, and to be honest, I really haven't had much desire to play. I've played about 2 days since I got it, and I'm really sad because I *really* wanted it to be good. I held off all judgment of the beta, and it's not *terrible* but it just doesn't have 'it' right now.

And honestly, an auction house would help so much. I hate to keep harping on it, but if I knew I could go browse and see that some things I can gather or craft sell well, or plan money making schemes, or just find new equipment, etc, I think I'd be having a lot more fun.

Well, and a better UI. I don't know if I can get over it or not. It still lags a bit, especially when crafting it's pretty terrible. And so many extra confirmation windows and needless extra stuff make it a constant irritation.


you hit the nail on the head.
#15 Sep 26 2010 at 6:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
57 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I have to agree : \

When I started FFXI it was so much fun! I didn't have to 'get used to it' or 'let it grow on me'.

This game is not like that so far, and to be honest, I really haven't had much desire to play. I've played about 2 days since I got it, and I'm really sad because I *really* wanted it to be good. I held off all judgment of the beta, and it's not *terrible* but it just doesn't have 'it' right now.

And honestly, an auction house would help so much. I hate to keep harping on it, but if I knew I could go browse and see that some things I can gather or craft sell well, or plan money making schemes, or just find new equipment, etc, I think I'd be having a lot more fun.

Well, and a better UI. I don't know if I can get over it or not. It still lags a bit, especially when crafting it's pretty terrible. And so many extra confirmation windows and needless extra stuff make it a constant irritation.



That is because it was out in Japan for awhile, and was able to grow. I played 11 on the ps2 release, and by then the game had grown. That's why I played for so long. This game is brand spanking new, listen to everyone, it will most likely grow into a beast.
____________________________
--------In Loving of memory of Josh Hunt "Nightkast" Odin Server--------
#16 Sep 26 2010 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
Yeah that's why I made sure to say 'right now', and I sure hope it does, because right now, I really have no reason to be playing it.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17 Sep 26 2010 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
XI really had a lot of story pre level 10 too, didn't it? Oh wait, no it didn't.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#18 Sep 26 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
well here's a thing (maybe not THE thing), it's been quite a long time since XI was developed, and MMOs have evolved. This needs to compete with current MMOs, not 8 years ago. If it can't, why am I playing it instead of a different MMO?
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#19 Sep 26 2010 at 6:41 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
well here's a thing (maybe not THE thing), it's been quite a long time since XI was developed, and MMOs have evolved. This needs to compete with current MMOs, not 8 years ago. If it can't, why am I playing it instead of a different MMO?


Oh current MMOs, okay. Aion isn't current, that was like 2 years ago. Guess we're doing pretty well considering there aren't any current MMOs out that I've heard of.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#20 Sep 26 2010 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Now you're just trying to pick a fight.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#21Chubbyjesus, Posted: Sep 26 2010 at 6:45 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I was going to read it and really try to care about your opinion, but the very first line blathers on about FF11 being awesome.
#22 Sep 26 2010 at 6:47 PM Rating: Default
**
696 posts
What is missing right now is the "magic" The game is new and the areas haven't been given a "life of their own" yet. Take some places in FFXI where you know an NM spawns kept you on your toes the entire time especially when you were slipping through the area in a state where you couldn't kill it. Other missions that sent you to impossible places and offered sweet death for an error. Things like that.

Then along the way you got some story "King Ranperre's Tomb" for instance. You at first had no idea what was going on but the story was told deeply enough to actually provoke a feeling in most people. I have no doubt these things will be brought to this game. The framework if you explore is actually there. War refugees, market areas full of lively npcs, areas that are clearly FOR something but relatively empty at the moment. Once these areas get a little life given to them the game experience will go up dramatically.

Think of this as building a house. Right now they have the house built and are finishing the trim and customizing the changes to the fixtures and appliances you wanted. Making the house livable(UI,lag,balancing,finding out how people intend to cheat,giving the game a playable state under live conditions with max feedback) You move in and since this is your first house you'll now need some furniture and things that will bring life to your new home.(end game, armor sets, class specific features, their upgrade to the linkshell system, and whatever else comes up).

So given that way of thought you only need stick around a bit and the life will be brought in. The good thing is you get to see it happen and be a step ahead of the sporadic quitters... The bad thing... you get to sit through the construction noise and dust. This is how an mmo is made. FFXI was like this despite some people's thoughts. So was wow, warhammer and any other you can probably think of. Chill out for a bit look at the pretty pictures give good feedback(i.e. not 1 million i hate this game bandwagon posts) and watch the content and fixes roll in.

#23 Sep 26 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Default
**
696 posts
Chubbyjesus wrote:
I was going to read it and really try to care about your opinion, but the very first line blathers on about FF11 being awesome.

That game was horrible.. The crafting consisted of getting sh*tty graphic NPCs weird items for no reason, being FORCED to group and hear weirdos like you pretend they're super cool in a video game with lines like "Just watch me fight it, so you dont get aggro.", and crafting a Short Sword by gathering a Clam, Shoe String, And A **** Bubble. The game was absolutely horrible and barely fun for anyone without down syndrome. The graphics were crap, the PvP the introduced was 'ROFL'. The game was an utter failure to anyone who cares about the MMO industry.

So your whole opinion was just voided because of that. You have blinders on and you wish FF11 wasnt down to 7 people playing it, thanks to FFXIV. Truely you admit it yourself, its the same thing, so you say. The problem is you KNOW that game was horrible and could of been so much more, so now you take your frustrations out on FFXIV. I dont want an auto attack, thats stupid and you sound like you really need hand holding in video games. Thats so sad. Combat where you talk and do other stuff while fighting? ROFL.. You have the worst opinions on MMO games that ive EVER heard.

Salt In Wound: use I J K L to rotate in character creation and move around the map.


Someone doesn't seem to know where they are at right now. it's ok... do you feel dizzy?
#24 Sep 26 2010 at 7:45 PM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Now you're just trying to pick a fight.

I'm just sick of people complaining about stupid stuff. Complain about things that should be complained about. Complain how there's no AH. Complain that you should be able to move when talking to an npc or checking someone. Complain that they need to decrease lag for actions. Complain that there's no sort button. (You were doing this part correctly.)

Do not complain that a brand new MMO doesn't have as much content as a 1 year old MMO with a fresh expansion. Do not complain that everything should have been fixed already. If you're going compare xiv to xi, then compare it to the xi that also didn't have an auction house.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#25 Sep 26 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,535 posts
Deadgye wrote:
Do not complain that a brand new MMO doesn't have as much content as a 1 year old MMO with a fresh expansion. Do not complain that everything should have been fixed already. If you're going compare xiv to xi, then compare it to the xi that also didn't have an auction house.


There is, however, a difference between complaining that the game has less content than an older, more established game, and complaining that it doesn't have enough content for a game that has been in development for at least 5 years.

And it's perfectly reasonable to complain about 14 lacking features that 11 also initially lacked; the SE that released FF14 last week in not the same SE (or just Square, then) that released FF11 8 years ago, at least in part because of the added 8 years of experience in running an MMO.
#26 Sep 26 2010 at 8:08 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Deadgye wrote:
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Now you're just trying to pick a fight.

I'm just sick of people complaining about stupid stuff. Complain about things that should be complained about. Complain how there's no AH. Complain that you should be able to move when talking to an npc or checking someone. Complain that they need to decrease lag for actions. Complain that there's no sort button. (You were doing this part correctly.)

Do not complain that a brand new MMO doesn't have as much content as a 1 year old MMO with a fresh expansion. Do not complain that everything should have been fixed already. If you're going compare xiv to xi, then compare it to the xi that also didn't have an auction house.
FFXIV, like FFXI, did not have an AH at release. In both cases, they were bad ideas.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#27 Sep 26 2010 at 8:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
regarding the AH, SE's said they feel that the AH 'sets' prices, and they didn't want that. That's hugely flawed logic. Supply and demand set prices, and removing the AH just removes players capability to determine what supply and demand actually are.
____________________________


#28 Sep 26 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
237 posts
Quote:

And this is where the rest of my typing begins to sound like the BFF video review that came up today - The rest of the game I just didn't enjoy at all. Long, long walks; weird sounding voices; no auto attack; no instructions or directions; and an overall longing to play 11. I really liked the design style in 11 compared to this. (1 good thing: Music is still very nice!)


Actually this sounds like 11 to me, I remember very long walks before I had my choco license, and it really isn't a big deal in XIV since you can just teleport to where you need to go. Anyone remember before 11 came out with the tutorial there was zero help or direction, I remember leveling Black mage to 7 before figuring out I had to use scrolls to learn spells. Also there were tons of shouts from new players in XI saying "How do I equip my weapon", or "Where do I cash in my adventures certificate". So I don't really understand how you say that XIV is less helpful then XI in fact it is more since there is tutorial and the first story quest helps you get into the game very smoothly.
#29 Sep 26 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Can anyone help me figure out why I hate FFXIV so much, and cannot WAIT to return to FF11? They are the same thing, but 14 has far less jaggedy graphics.


I hope I get blasted to **** for saying this but FFXIV isn't FFXI and you are not what we call smart.
____________________________
MUTED
#30 Sep 26 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
To the OP:
It's in the music.

In FFXIV every starting area had great, very "fitting" music:

Ronfaure (medieval), Gustaberg (sad dusty mining region) and Sarutabaruta (peaceful
sunny paradise) all had music that was just perfect for their respective style.

Now, apart from Gridania, the music just doesn't transport anything; for Limsa, looking
at the landscape, I had expected some scottish bagpipes, and for Ul'dah some arabian cymbals.

As it is, the music just seems "artificially transplanted" onto the surrounding ;.;

In my humble opinion, to solely rely on a single composer for such a vast game was a big
mistake. Limits variation.
#31 Sep 26 2010 at 8:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
175 posts
RicoJalapeno wrote:
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
I have to agree : \

When I started FFXI it was so much fun! I didn't have to 'get used to it' or 'let it grow on me'.

This game is not like that so far, and to be honest, I really haven't had much desire to play. I've played about 2 days since I got it, and I'm really sad because I *really* wanted it to be good. I held off all judgment of the beta, and it's not *terrible* but it just doesn't have 'it' right now.

And honestly, an auction house would help so much. I hate to keep harping on it, but if I knew I could go browse and see that some things I can gather or craft sell well, or plan money making schemes, or just find new equipment, etc, I think I'd be having a lot more fun.

Well, and a better UI. I don't know if I can get over it or not. It still lags a bit, especially when crafting it's pretty terrible. And so many extra confirmation windows and needless extra stuff make it a constant irritation.



That is because it was out in Japan for awhile, and was able to grow. I played 11 on the ps2 release, and by then the game had grown. That's why I played for so long. This game is brand spanking new, listen to everyone, it will most likely grow into a beast.



That maybe true, but it is NO EXCUSE. SE's has many years now under their belt to have built a better online game, it shouldn't be a wait and see kind of thing this time around. I mean we are talking about VERY BASIC fundamentals like a chat system even, I mean COME ON!

I may sound angry, because I am. I think the most avid FF fans (me being one of them since FF1) that you are hearing complaining are the ones that care about this game the most.

Edited, Sep 26th 2010 11:00pm by lurex
____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#32 Sep 26 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Rinsui wrote:
To the OP:
It's in the music.

In FFXIV every starting area had great, very "fitting" music:

Ronfaure (medieval), Gustaberg (sad dusty mining region) and Sarutabaruta (peaceful
sunny paradise) all had music that was just perfect for their respective style.

Now, apart from Gridania, the music just doesn't transport anything; for Limsa, looking
at the landscape, I had expected some scottish bagpipes, and for Ul'dah some arabian cymbals.

As it is, the music just seems "artificially transplanted" onto the surrounding ;.;

In my humble opinion, to solely rely on a single composer for such a vast game was a big
mistake. Limits variation.
Nobuo has really stretched himself thin. There is some very good talent at SE for musical scores still, too bad the person I'm thinking of didn't get the nod.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#33 Sep 26 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
24 posts
Welcome to paid beta.

They're sucking your money while they develop the game into something playable.
There's a reason everyone is saying this game is bad. It's bad.

AH should have been there at launch.
Global chat should have been there at launch.
In game tutorial that I don't have to search for should have been there at launch.

MMOs have been around for many years, that crap argument "It's too early to complain, wait 6 months" is dumb.

At this point, I'm convinced that they care little for the PC players and are just taking your money while they prepare for the REAL launch, ps3 in march.

GG SE
#34 Sep 26 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
3 posts
The "It just launched, give the game time" retort might work for the bugs but it doesn't excuse the completely asinine design decisions SE made when putting this thing together. The core problem from an engagement stand point is the incredibly low spawn rates of the enemies. Regardless of the fact that the quests are limited, regardless of the fact that the story elements are spread out and regardless of the fact that the game has just launched, the minimum level of engagement for an MMO is grinding and somehow SE managed to completely ***** that up.

Let me repeat that. SE managed to make grinding less fun. That's the design equivalent of splitting the atom. Just today, I spent thirty solid minutes wandering around the environment looking for baddies to kill. On the rare occasion I managed to find one, some other player with a long range attack would "engage it" before I could. After almost an hour of play I manged to kill four monsters. FOUR.

I keep trying to approach FFXIV with an open mind. I'm not a big WOW fan. I don't care that it's not like WOW - in fact I welcome it. But each and every time I attempt to play the game it's as if I'm trying to worm my way into some pretentious hipster bar. It just absolutely refuses to let me in. Or play. Or engage with it any meaningful way. I can't believe I'm playing an MMO so bad that I'm desperate for the game to let me grind, so at the very least I can make my way towards SOME content.

Maybe I just don't "get" it. Maybe it's too Japanese and their corporate centric culture makes games that feel like a lousy office job more appealing. Maybe it's actually some larger philosophical statement about the nature of MMOs in general and how we, as gamers, are flitting away what little time we have on this earth. Long shots? Sure. But I'm desperate to find some excuse as to why the second MMO made a company with decades of game design experience is so completely, unfathomably impenetrable.
#35 Sep 26 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
^ Ahahaha wow. Dude, as much as I agree with you, it's just a video game. Go get some fresh air.
#36 Sep 26 2010 at 11:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
isecurr wrote:
the minimum level of engagement for an MMO is grinding and somehow SE managed to completely ***** that up.

Let me repeat that. SE managed to make grinding less fun. That's the design equivalent of splitting the atom. Just today, I spent thirty solid minutes wandering around the environment looking for baddies to kill. On the rare occasion I managed to find one, some other player with a long range attack would "engage it" before I could. After almost an hour of play I manged to kill four monsters. FOUR.


^ This. Other people have said it's amazing that, for SE to say they're going after the casual gamers and then introduce a game that limits grinding, but doesn't give you much else to do. Once you finish your levequests, you can craft IF you have some mats, but finding the mats in the zombie zones is time-consuming, which presumably the casual gamer doesn't have time to do. So, back to grinding mobs for the mats, but there aren't many running around loose out there that 5 other players aren't racing toward also.

I've been waiting for this since I left FFXI in 2008. They've been making games for how long, and began working on this 4-5 years ago? It's like.. there's a game here, but there are way too many parts missing.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#37 Sep 27 2010 at 12:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
25 posts
My goodness. I seem to have boiled some blood here. I meant no harm!

But let me reply generally to a few things going on here
Some have called me stupid, or said that i had a "bad opinion." Firstly, I am not stupid. Y'alls just being mean. Secondly, how can an opinion be bad, or stupid, etc.? It's an OPINION! It's how I felt about FFXI, and how I feel about FFXIV. It's not like I tried to bastardize a fact, or lie about something in-game to make it seem worse.

I should've explained a few things in my original post as well. Yes, I realize that these two games are vastly different - But they still share many similar aspects. Same menu style, same limited chat, locking on to enemies, a heal/battle stance (in 11's case, standing and kneeling) and many other things.

To the music, someone mentioned that the music was good, but didn't fit the landscape. ABSOLUTELY. This killed it - Alone, on youtube listening to the OST, I was so, so excited! But what I found WAS not the powerful, bustling drums of the Bastok Metalworks, the patriotic horns of San'Doria, the light-hearted melodious wisdom of Windurst, or the operatic exquisite tune of Jeuno. I found ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLOS in all of my battles VS a 'wharf rat,' and just other ho-hum tunes that didn't blend with the environment.

Now let me get back to my original question "Why did I love 11, and now despite 14?"
As mentioned by a reply, 11 did not have to grow on me. I was instantly thrown into that old-school love for final fantasy (dear god, I couldn't wait to try out all the ____ MAGE classes, and HOLY **** DRAGOON!) Yes, the game had a year to develop - and I loved it. The auction house, the confusion of "WHAT DO?", and I loved every **** time-sinking quest and grind in that game. Many have said that FF14 needs time to grow, fix itself, etc. but why? It's had 4 years time to develop. And that's not all, the design company has DONE THIS BEFORE. They aren't a fledgling MMO company, they've had 9 years to think about what they've done, and even learn from other groundbreaking MMOs.
Final Fantasy 14, upon pre-order of collectors edition, install, register, and play - was NOT groundbreaking.
Nor was it captivating, wondrous, magical, or fun.


Also, to that someone who said FF14 took grinding, the most minimal act in the game, and made it an active thing? So right. Taking auto-attack away isn't making me cry like a baby because I want my hand to be held, it's ******* me off because I have to sit there and do just what that poster said - Hunt for rabbits for hours and hours tapping the 1 button over and over again, hearing that stupid error-beep because my stamina bar isn't full or whatever, and GOD FORBID I alt-tab or get distracted in some way because the moment I stop tapping 1 or enter (or even 2!) that stupid wharf rat is going to kill me.
#38 Sep 27 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
There is, however, a difference between complaining that the game has less content than an older, more established game, and complaining that it doesn't have enough content for a game that has been in development for at least 5 years.

There's plenty of content. You've just been too busy complaining that you haven't done any of it yet. People have done 4 main storyline quests from their respective cities, and are expecting to do the fifth soon. People have gotten quests from their respective guilds. Comparatively, there's a sh*tload more content then there was when xi launched.

Quote:
The core problem from an engagement stand point is the incredibly low spawn rates of the enemies. [..] After almost an hour of play I manged to kill four monsters. FOUR.

Orly? When I found a cave with 3 moles in, by the time I killed the second mole the one I had just killed was already there. Most of the time he spawned slightly after I engaged the second mole. You must fail pretty hard, I had absolutely no problem finding mobs to grind on for my archer from 1 to 10.

Quote:
To the music, someone mentioned that the music was good, but didn't fit the landscape. ABSOLUTELY. This killed it - Alone, on youtube listening to the OST, I was so, so excited! But what I found WAS not the powerful, bustling drums of the Bastok Metalworks, the patriotic horns of San'Doria, the light-hearted melodious wisdom of Windurst, or the operatic exquisite tune of Jeuno. I found ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLOS in all of my battles VS a 'wharf rat,' and just other ho-hum tunes that didn't blend with the environment.

You do know that the battle theme in xi was the same in ronfaure, gustaberg, and sarutabaruta, right?


Edited, Sep 27th 2010 3:21am by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#39 Sep 27 2010 at 1:46 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I was quite a bit younger when I first played Final Fantasy XI, and it was my first MMORPG I ever played.
This is why I think it invoked more of a "Wow!" kind of feeling, and I have to say the graphics of XIV did this for me. I actually loved walking a lot because I got to see how awesome everything looked (In the beta that is).

It seems like as people age they start to pick out the negatives in everything more often. What I think is that SE should have actually hired more paid testers that worked closely with them. They should have created their own bots to simulate what it would be like for some of the areas to be populated, then they would have definitely caught the retainer issue that way.

"Okay now I want you to go through there and try to find this whole list of items"
Tester, "I better get my overtime for this!"

I myself think I'm going to wait until all the current release dates pass until I consider XIV truly released.


Edited, Sep 27th 2010 4:03am by Zalnar
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)