Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Leveling up and XP loss...Follow

#1 Sep 27 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
Is anyone else disappointed there is no XP loss? I am... I've found myself blood porting constantly in order to save Anima. I'm not worried about dying because I'm not losing XP. I remember in FFXI I used to be so careful when exploring new zones because of the dreaded XP loss and level down sound byte. Oh how I dreaded that sound lol...

In addition I'm also a bit disappointed that leveling up and ranking up is no more than a lil bell chyme. No fanfare letting you know you've leveled up. In fact there had been a couple levels I didn't realized i had reached because I didn't hear the sound nor see the lil animation.
#2 Sep 27 2010 at 2:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
I am so infinitely happy there is no exp loss I could scream like a little girl.
#3 Sep 27 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Have you not finished a leve yet? Have you not heard the awesome, and unabashedly familiar music after that?

I hated XP loss and I'm glad it's gone. I'm PO'ed enough wasting time running to a camp, and waiting for sickness to wear off. It's a fine system now.

#4 Sep 27 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
If XI would have had the same xp loss it did but NOT have a delevel, I think it would have been perfect. It's the right balance personally for me to have a sense of danger but still be fun. However with the delevel it become a chore as a part time player in an endgame LS on a non-required main job (THF in my case) to do Sky and Dynamis and try to stay at 75+ all the time and attempt to get merits. Granted things have changed a load in that game, but I don't have first hand experience.

I will say though, I'm still afraid to die in XIV when I'm on my way to a new camp and haven't clicked the aerethyte yet since it feels like a long way to walk (like dying on the doorstep of Jeuno before choco access). So as the game grows maybe that will be my incentive for not dying while traveling and maintain my sense of caution.

No matter what it's better than running back to a corpse to get your gear back.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#5 Sep 27 2010 at 3:07 PM Rating: Decent
**
723 posts
I honestly enjoyed the XP loss in FFXI, as crazy as that sounds. It gave you a real sense of danger while you traveled around and gave a nice sense of accomplishment when you could successfully pull something off. Like as a RDM, I would attempt all sorts of things while soloing or with a duo partner. It just wouldn't have been the same without a death penalty. Now it's kind of like "Hey, lets try this and if we fail it doesn't matter".

FFXIV definitely needs some kind of death penalty to give encounters the same feel as FFXI. Perhaps it doesn't have to be XP loss since many are against it, but I feel we need something.
#6 Sep 27 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Jeraziah wrote:
I honestly enjoyed the XP loss in FFXI, as crazy as that sounds. It gave you a real sense of danger while you traveled around and gave a nice sense of accomplishment when you could successfully pull something off. Like as a RDM, I would attempt all sorts of things while soloing or with a duo partner. It just wouldn't have been the same without a death penalty. Now it's kind of like "Hey, lets try this and if we fail it doesn't matter".

FFXIV definitely needs some kind of death penalty to give encounters the same feel as FFXI. Perhaps it doesn't have to be XP loss since many are against it, but I feel we need something.



I can see your point, but I don't think anyone goes in to a party, or leve or whatever, saying "Let's try to be as inefficient as possible!" People don't want to die, because it is a timesink in itself.

In FFXI you already died, already had to respawn back at your HP, tele to a crystal, rent a chocobo, or worse walk back to camp. This was, at least, already 10-15min of your time AND usually people would leave groups after a wipe so you'd have to find other members. Then on top of that, the EXP loss, depending on the PT it could take you 15min to 30min just to get that back.

Ironically, I COULD see an EXP death penalty in FFXIV, but only because of the ease of Teleporation, and ability to solo your EXP back. But as I stated I think the system is fine as it is.
#7 Sep 27 2010 at 3:39 PM Rating: Excellent
**
394 posts
While I do agree that there's a bit more haphazardness to parties due to the lack of penalty, the time-based nature of levequests makes that period of weakness a bit of a nail-biter when it starts getting down to the wire (I'd venture to guess most anyone who has done the dodo quest knows what I'm talking about). This of course doesn't apply to straight grinding, but the developers have insisted that we're not supposed to be doing that anyway, so they probably didn't consider that with the penalty system.

Overall I'd have to say that while the penalty system was fine for XI, it would be a pain in XIV. Since levequests are such a major source of both skill points and experience, and because you can only do them so often, it would be rage-inducing to measure exp/skill points lost in terms of leves, i.e. "I just died, that's an entire levequest down the drain which I can't get back for 36 hours." When teleporting becomes less frequent on average due to low anima, people will find it frustrating to return to their homepoint when they forgot to check in with the aetheryte at the nearest camp, or if they accidentally catch aggro from something. So I'd say at this point, a stiffer penalty isn't necessary.
#8 Sep 27 2010 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,612 posts
I agree with the OP, there should be more fanfare when you level up. I was disappointed by that. As far as losing xp, as annoying as it is, I think I prefer that to having to repair gear.
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#9 Sep 27 2010 at 4:14 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
I played FFXI in the first two years after its release, and I thought XP loss was awesome. I am a huge fan of overly complicated high risk games *cough* Eve online *cough* and the xp loss made the blood actually pump in some situations. Although I hated leveling down with a passion when it happened, It made the game more enveloping.
#10 Sep 27 2010 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
*
59 posts
im glad there is no exp penalty, if there was id say just dont allow delevel. but over all im glad but not to say there isnt something a miss we all have yet to see.
#11 Sep 27 2010 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
303 posts
don't get me wrong i loved ff11 but the exp loss thing was the WORST thing ive ever seen in a MMO >.>
____________________________
Quote:
Busaman the Mighty wrote:
Man I barely remember life before wow. It was hard living in caves for shelter and fending off wild beasts with only a sharpened stick. Men women and children all dying from simple infections Food was scarce, sometimes all we had to eat would be a fallen member of the tribe.

Those were dark days indeed. Thank Raptor Jesus for delivering us from our sins with his only son, the World Of Warcraft


UNBAN ROG
#12 Sep 27 2010 at 4:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
440 posts
The whole system is built around not losing exp for dying. If you die multiple times during a Guildleve (only reason I can think of them rationalizing the 30-45 min time-limit) you could potentially lose more exp/Rank than you gain by completing the leve. And if they ask you to travel somewhere far away, and you die along the way, you lose out on travel time and the time it took you to get the EXP. All-in-all, it would not be very casual friendly.

Corthaemus wrote:
As far as losing xp, as annoying as it is, I think I prefer that to having to repair gear.


At this point, it's a flip of the coin for me. Hopefully they will tweak the durability system a bit to make it less of a pain.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 5:52pm by RayneZ
#13 Sep 27 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
irtehscarry wrote:
In fact there had been a couple levels I didn't realized i had reached because I didn't hear the sound nor see the lil animation.


I guess you didn't do alot of FoV in ffxi.

I'm super happy about the no xp loss. I thought I was imagining things at first. I just feel so liberated XD

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 7:14pm by rikkuotaku
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#14 Sep 27 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Good
***
1,888 posts
I don't mind not losing EXP - but I never had an issue with it in XI. Even at endgame stage.

I do think weakened state should last longer in XIV. And they should make underpants a little more durable.
____________________________
Reiginsei, San'doria Rank 8 Hume Male.
75RDM/75NIN/69BLM59PLD
[5/5 Duellist 01/17/08][4/5 Koga][0/5 Valor][CoP+RotZ]
Linkshells:
Europa/Wabbits/OmegaStoleMyBike
#15 Sep 27 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
In the games current state with the bugs/glitches and lag right now XP loss would be an absolute kick in the nuts...

Imagine having a mob almost dead and it resets or you get the "This mob is already engaged error" and die because of it... Oh now you lose XP, sweet... right?
#16 Sep 27 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
defiantmac wrote:
In the games current state with the bugs/glitches and lag right now XP loss would be an absolute kick in the nuts...

Imagine having a mob almost dead and it resets or you get the "This mob is already engaged error" and die because of it... Oh now you lose XP, sweet... right?



Indeed. With the amount of glitchyness that still needs to be ironed out, exp loss on death would be a bad idea. Not to mention that the entire plan this time around was to make the game "casual" friendly.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)