Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

where do the Japanese play?Follow

#1 Sep 27 2010 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
I was wondering if there is a server in which lots of Japanese players play, or if they are scattered equally in all servers.
#2 Sep 27 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
like most of us, User Choice, only China is to be seperate
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#3 Sep 27 2010 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
They seem to be scattered about pretty evenly, at least from the various servers I tested throughout beta. I don't know if there's one server in particular where a higher concentration of them congregate, but you've got a pretty equal chance at running into them on any server.
#4 Sep 27 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
350 posts
They all hide in the hills and perform the healing exploit. lol j/k
#5 Sep 27 2010 at 4:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
492 posts
Cyiode wrote:
They all hide in the hills and perform the healing exploit. lol j/k



"The Hills have Hai's"

ok just shoot me.....
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#6 Sep 27 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
I haven't seen any moonrune spam on Saronia. So if they are here, they're being quiet about it.
#7 Sep 27 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
153 posts
I believe Figaro was the unofficial japanese server. I have noticed a large amount, but still a lot less than FFXI. I loved playing in a japanese party back in XI, so polite.

One thing i've noticed, and it's the reason why you won't detect a high population is that right now in the current stage of this game, is that most people are quiet. So it is hard to detect nationalities. But I digress.

____________________________
FFXI :Fenrir / Gael / 75 THF
FFXIV : Figaro / Devan Glasio / XX Conj
My Conjurer Guide
Small Durability and Optimal Rank Guide
#8 Sep 27 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
I haven't seen any moonrune spam on Saronia. So if they are here, they're being quiet about it.


Condescension aside, you're probably not factoring time zone difference. You won't see them during the day, mostly late at night and early morning U.S. times.
#9 Sep 27 2010 at 5:23 PM Rating: Default
*
103 posts
I have seen a fair amount in the early am on Rabanastre, I just black list them so I don't have to see the gibberish. =P
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#10 Sep 27 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
TraumaFox wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
I haven't seen any moonrune spam on Saronia. So if they are here, they're being quiet about it.


Condescension aside, you're probably not factoring time zone difference. You won't see them during the day, mostly late at night and early morning U.S. times.

Considering I play 6p-12a us time.. I think I'd have noticed them if they were as obnoxious as they were on Figaro, spamming 4-5 full blocks of moonrunes at a time.
#11 Sep 27 2010 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Pagansaint wrote:
I have seen a fair amount in the early am on Rabanastre, I just black list them so I don't have to see the gibberish. =P


How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Sep 27 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
**
595 posts
I can vouch a bit for Figaro too, all my previous jp LS from Gilgamesh is there with me ^^.
the thing is since i play at japanese hours, I see mostly japanese people, but thats pretty biased XD
#13 Sep 27 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Default
*
103 posts
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box that is almost impossible to filter (thanks SE for that), which I don't understand, nor care to, I get this?

You are a tool.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 9:11pm by Pagansaint
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#15UnlovedTitan, Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 7:37 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) OMG, THEY PLAY IN THERE TEEPEE'S!
#16 Sep 27 2010 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box


I think the reason you met with a negative response in the first place is not because you can't speak Japanese, but because you deem a language that you can't speak "gibberish." It makes you sound like more of a fool than the guy to whom you respond, whose post brings up a legitimate point about diversity and basic respect in a humuorous fashion. XD
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#17 Sep 27 2010 at 8:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box


I think the reason you met with a negative response in the first place is not because you can't speak Japanese, but because you deem a language that you can't speak "gibberish." It makes you sound like more of a fool than the guy to whom you respond, whose post brings up a legitimate point about diversity and basic respect in a humuorous fashion. XD


Calling Japanese characters gibberish or moonrunes isn't disrespectful: it is absolutely hilarious. Gibberish is basically anything that can not be understood so to the OP Japanese is, in fact, gibberish. It does not carry the negative connotation that you associate with it.

My 2c
#18 Sep 27 2010 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box that is almost impossible to filter (thanks SE for that), which I don't understand, nor care to, I get this?

You are a tool.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 9:11pm by Pagansaint


I think a more accurate statement is, you're a tool.
____________________________
MUTED
#19 Sep 27 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
MediumOgre wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box


I think the reason you met with a negative response in the first place is not because you can't speak Japanese, but because you deem a language that you can't speak "gibberish." It makes you sound like more of a fool than the guy to whom you respond, whose post brings up a legitimate point about diversity and basic respect in a humuorous fashion. XD


Calling Japanese characters gibberish or moonrunes isn't disrespectful: it is absolutely hilarious. Gibberish is basically anything that can not be understood so to the OP Japanese is, in fact, gibberish. It does not carry the negative connotation that you associate with it.

My 2c


The playful tone shifts harshly when you say that you black list anyone who speaks it, though.

Also, the various definitions of gibberish include "meaningless," "pretentious," "nonsense," and "like that of monkeys," so it's not completely without insult. Moonspeak seems nicer, and seems to better portray a sense of whimsy, perhaps because it doesn't really have a definition (and because nobody is from the moon).
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#20 Sep 27 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Excellent
**
265 posts
KaneKitty wrote:

The playful tone shifts harshly when you say that you black list anyone who speaks it, though.

Also, the various definitions of gibberish include "meaningless," "pretentious," "nonsense," and "like that of monkeys," so it's not completely without insult. Moonspeak seems nicer, and seems to better portray a sense of whimsy, perhaps because it doesn't really have a definition (and because nobody is from the moon).

The Mooninites are not amused by your neglect of them.
#21 Sep 27 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Yeah, it's pretty **** rude to refer to another language that you don't speak as gibberish, and to say that you are deeming an entire group of players "not worthy of playing with" because you can't be bothered to use the auto translator.

But then, if you're going to be racist about it, then perhaps you're doing them a favor anyway. *shrug*

Like I said, heaven forbid you try to communicate with people who speak a different language than you just because you're too ignorant to understand that "The world" exists outside of English-speaking Americans.

I love my country and all, but it's bigots like these who make it obvious why so much of the world hates Americans.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#22xSomnia, Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 8:30 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Definitely has to be Figaro. I want off this server pretty bad, it's extremely painful trying to trade with others when they all speak moonrunes. It can take almost an hour to find someone to craft something simple like a Brass Buckle, since you can't seem to translate an item you aren't holding.
#23 Sep 27 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:

The playful tone shifts harshly when you say that you black list anyone who speaks it, though.

Also, the various definitions of gibberish include "meaningless," "pretentious," "nonsense," and "like that of monkeys," so it's not completely without insult. Moonspeak seems nicer, and seems to better portray a sense of whimsy, perhaps because it doesn't really have a definition (and because nobody is from the moon).


The Mooninites are not amused by your neglect of them.


That's fine, I black list any Mooninites I meet. ಠ_ಠ
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#24 Sep 27 2010 at 8:32 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty **** rude to refer to another language that you don't speak as gibberish, and to say that you are deeming an entire group of players "not worthy of playing with" because you can't be bothered to use the auto translator.

But then, if you're going to be racist about it, then perhaps you're doing them a favor anyway. *shrug*

Like I said, heaven forbid you try to communicate with people who speak a different language than you just because you're too ignorant to understand that "The world" exists outside of English-speaking Americans.

I love my country and all, but it's bigots like these who make it obvious why so much of the world hates Americans.

Language has nothing to do with race. Its all about culture. Specificly, language is a cultural cipher used to exclude outsiders. Hence why each amerind tribe has a different language. Same race, different cultures. Thanks for playing, don't bring up the race card when you're ignorant.
#25 Sep 27 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Before this devolves any further and gets locked, I must ask...

What does any of this have to do with Final Fantasy XIV?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#26 Sep 27 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Thayos wrote:
Before this devolves any further and gets locked, I must ask...

What does any of this have to do with Final Fantasy XIV?


Follow me down the rabbit hole...!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Sep 27 2010 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
I've seen a few shouts and says from japanese players on Besaid, but not nearly like I ran into in xi. I'm surprised really, but I think also perhaps they're just being quiet for now.
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#28 Sep 27 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
Most of the supposed 'English' speaking players can barely type the language, and you're going to call another language gibberish?
#29 Sep 27 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty **** rude to refer to another language that you don't speak as gibberish, and to say that you are deeming an entire group of players "not worthy of playing with" because you can't be bothered to use the auto translator.

But then, if you're going to be racist about it, then perhaps you're doing them a favor anyway. *shrug*

Like I said, heaven forbid you try to communicate with people who speak a different language than you just because you're too ignorant to understand that "The world" exists outside of English-speaking Americans.

I love my country and all, but it's bigots like these who make it obvious why so much of the world hates Americans.

Language has nothing to do with race. Its all about culture. Specificly, language is a cultural cipher used to exclude outsiders. Hence why each amerind tribe has a different language. Same race, different cultures. Thanks for playing, don't bring up the race card when you're ignorant.


Japanese people are, by far, the highest percentage of people who speak Japanese, as opposed to something like Spanish which is spoken by several countries. Furthermore, "race" is a rather vague descriptor, which you seem to be defining in your head to mean a very specific thing, and then arguing that it's not the thing you are defining it as. "The Japanese" refers to both a culture and a race. Furthermore, to say that language has the primary purpose of EXCLUDING people is far more ignorant than you seem to believe I am. the primary purpose of language is COMMUNICATION with others, not EXCLUDING people from communication. You might as well claim that the primary purpose of jobs is to keep people unemployed.

Do you -honestly- believe that people choose to speak Japanese -just- so that they can exclude others, or are you just trolling?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Sep 27 2010 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
ghosthacked wrote:
Most of the supposed 'English' speaking players can barely type the language, and you're going to call another language gibberish?


Amen to this. If anything, "wut r u ^ 2" is far more gibberish to me than こんにちは.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#31 Sep 27 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty **** rude to refer to another language that you don't speak as gibberish, and to say that you are deeming an entire group of players "not worthy of playing with" because you can't be bothered to use the auto translator.

But then, if you're going to be racist about it, then perhaps you're doing them a favor anyway. *shrug*

Like I said, heaven forbid you try to communicate with people who speak a different language than you just because you're too ignorant to understand that "The world" exists outside of English-speaking Americans.

I love my country and all, but it's bigots like these who make it obvious why so much of the world hates Americans.

Language has nothing to do with race. Its all about culture. Specificly, language is a cultural cipher used to exclude outsiders. Hence why each amerind tribe has a different language. Same race, different cultures. Thanks for playing, don't bring up the race card when you're ignorant.


Japanese people are, by far, the highest percentage of people who speak Japanese, as opposed to something like Spanish which is spoken by several countries. Furthermore, "race" is a rather vague descriptor, which you seem to be defining in your head to mean a very specific thing, and then arguing that it's not the thing you are defining it as. "The Japanese" refers to both a culture and a race. Furthermore, to say that language has the primary purpose of EXCLUDING people is far more ignorant than you seem to believe I am. the primary purpose of language is COMMUNICATION with others, not EXCLUDING people from communication. You might as well claim that the primary purpose of jobs is to keep people unemployed.

Do you -honestly- believe that people choose to speak Japanese -just- so that they can exclude others, or are you just trolling?

Cultures developed different languages to exclude outsiders while enabling communication. Race is not a vague descriptor, its quite specific. The Japanese are a specific culture of the Asian race. Who borrowed their primary written language from the Chinese, another specific culture of the Asian race.
#32 Sep 27 2010 at 8:50 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
ghosthacked wrote:
Most of the supposed 'English' speaking players can barely type the language, and you're going to call another language gibberish?


Amen to this. If anything, "wut r u ^ 2" is far more gibberish to me than こんにちは.

Thats a bald-faced lie, unless you are a fluent japanese speaker. Any English speaker can easily infer what "wut r u ^ 2" means.
Edit to add: Specificly because english is a "word" based language, which allows you to use phonetics to infer meanings.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 10:53pm by SudoNemesis
#33 Sep 27 2010 at 8:53 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty **** rude to refer to another language that you don't speak as gibberish, and to say that you are deeming an entire group of players "not worthy of playing with" because you can't be bothered to use the auto translator.

But then, if you're going to be racist about it, then perhaps you're doing them a favor anyway. *shrug*

Like I said, heaven forbid you try to communicate with people who speak a different language than you just because you're too ignorant to understand that "The world" exists outside of English-speaking Americans.

I love my country and all, but it's bigots like these who make it obvious why so much of the world hates Americans.

Language has nothing to do with race. Its all about culture. Specificly, language is a cultural cipher used to exclude outsiders. Hence why each amerind tribe has a different language. Same race, different cultures. Thanks for playing, don't bring up the race card when you're ignorant.


Japanese people are, by far, the highest percentage of people who speak Japanese, as opposed to something like Spanish which is spoken by several countries. Furthermore, "race" is a rather vague descriptor, which you seem to be defining in your head to mean a very specific thing, and then arguing that it's not the thing you are defining it as. "The Japanese" refers to both a culture and a race. Furthermore, to say that language has the primary purpose of EXCLUDING people is far more ignorant than you seem to believe I am. the primary purpose of language is COMMUNICATION with others, not EXCLUDING people from communication. You might as well claim that the primary purpose of jobs is to keep people unemployed.

Do you -honestly- believe that people choose to speak Japanese -just- so that they can exclude others, or are you just trolling?

Cultures developed different languages to exclude outsiders while enabling communication. Race is not a vague descriptor, its quite specific. The Japanese are a specific culture of the Asian race. Who borrowed their primary written language from the Chinese, another specific culture of the Asian race.


Most people know and understand that the general term of "Racism" refers not just to people who are against a specific race, but also ethnicities as well. You're just trying to argue your own personal semantics because you don't really have any other way to defend your bigotry. There is no non-bigoted reason to explicitly refuse to communicate with an entire group of people for no other reason than "herp derp their language looks like gibberish".

Furthermore, since your argument was that you can't read it, are you going to tell me you can read other asian languages, such as Mandarin and Korean? Because if they're all "just gibberish" to you, then I'm pretty sure that proves my point further that you're just racist towards eastern/Asian cultures/races/whatever you want to call them.

All you're doing is trying to defend why "Well, I'm not really a racist because I don't consider myself one". The fact that you even THINK that's okay makes me facepalm at your crass attitude towards the matter.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#34 Sep 27 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Most people know and understand that the general term of "Racism" refers not just to people who are against a specific race, but also ethnicities as well. You're just trying to argue your own personal semantics because you don't really have any other way to defend your bigotry. There is no non-bigoted reason to explicitly refuse to communicate with an entire group of people for no other reason than "herp derp their language looks like gibberish".

Furthermore, since your argument was that you can't read it, are you going to tell me you can read other asian languages, such as Mandarin and Korean? Because if they're all "just gibberish" to you, then I'm pretty sure that proves my point further that you're just racist towards eastern/Asian cultures/races/whatever you want to call them.

All you're doing is trying to defend why "Well, I'm not really a racist because I don't consider myself one". The fact that you even THINK that's okay makes me facepalm at your crass attitude towards the matter.

1) I never called them gibberish. I called them moonrunes.
2) I don't communicate with people who don't speak my language. Thats not racism, its just a personal choice. I don't communicate with non-english speaking french, non-english speaking germans, non-english speaking finns, non-english speaking spaniards, I can go on and on. But I only communicate in my chosen language. Just like the japanese generally only communicate in their chosen language. Once again, its not racism, its personal choice.
3) I cannot read them, though generally, I can tell the difference between them at a look. I just choose not to learn them because I do not have a need of it. English suits me quite well, thanks.
#35 Sep 27 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
ghosthacked wrote:
Most of the supposed 'English' speaking players can barely type the language, and you're going to call another language gibberish?


Amen to this. If anything, "wut r u ^ 2" is far more gibberish to me than こんにちは.

Thats a bald-faced lie, unless you are a fluent japanese speaker. Any English speaker can easily infer what "wut r u ^ 2" means.
Edit to add: Specificly because english is a "word" based language, which allows you to use phonetics to infer meanings.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 10:53pm by SudoNemesis


1) So someone -has- to be fluent in a language to understand it? What if I only knew a few words and phrases? So long as I can read it, I can read it. If I'm not fluent in the language, it doesn't automatically make words and phrases I do know more difficult.

2) "word based language", as opposed to what? Other languages that don't have words? Statistically speaking, English is the second most difficult language to learn after Chinese. Japanese is a far easier language to learn than English.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#36 Sep 27 2010 at 9:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Most people know and understand that the general term of "Racism" refers not just to people who are against a specific race, but also ethnicities as well. You're just trying to argue your own personal semantics because you don't really have any other way to defend your bigotry. There is no non-bigoted reason to explicitly refuse to communicate with an entire group of people for no other reason than "herp derp their language looks like gibberish".

Furthermore, since your argument was that you can't read it, are you going to tell me you can read other asian languages, such as Mandarin and Korean? Because if they're all "just gibberish" to you, then I'm pretty sure that proves my point further that you're just racist towards eastern/Asian cultures/races/whatever you want to call them.

All you're doing is trying to defend why "Well, I'm not really a racist because I don't consider myself one". The fact that you even THINK that's okay makes me facepalm at your crass attitude towards the matter.

1) I never called them gibberish. I called them moonrunes.
2) I don't communicate with people who don't speak my language. Thats not racism, its just a personal choice. I don't communicate with non-english speaking french, non-english speaking germans, non-english speaking finns, non-english speaking spaniards, I can go on and on. But I only communicate in my chosen language. Just like the japanese generally only communicate in their chosen language. Once again, its not racism, its personal choice.
3) I cannot read them, though generally, I can tell the difference between them at a look. I just choose not to learn them because I do not have a need of it. English suits me quite well, thanks.


"Moonrunes" is not really much less offensive, you're just using a cute word that most people have never heard of outside of 4chan instead of a more common one.

As for the rest of the post, fair enough.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Sep 27 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

1) So someone -has- to be fluent in a language to understand it? What if I only knew a few words and phrases? So long as I can read it, I can read it. If I'm not fluent in the language, it doesn't automatically make words and phrases I do know more difficult.

2) "word based language", as opposed to what? Other languages that don't have words? Statistically speaking, English is the second most difficult language to learn after Chinese. Japanese is a far easier language to learn than English.

Response to 1) No. But you can perfectly understand that bad-english phrase as long as you understand english. Whereas, if you chopped half of the japanese phrase out, it'd become a completely different statement.
Response to 2) Not arguing difficulty of pictogram vs word-based. Just usage. Pictogram languages change meanings by adding or removing pictograms. For the most part, word based languages you can chop letters out and people will still be able to infer the meaning. And Finnish is harder to learn than Chinese. Just saying.
#38 Sep 27 2010 at 9:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
SudoNemesis wrote:
Cultures developed different languages to exclude outsiders


It's more that groups of people move about and that, over time, their different dialects develop into different languages than languages are used as secret codes for clandestine communication. While I'd be surprised if some languages didn't spring from a desire to reinforce xenophobia, the fact that we can track mutually unintelligible dialects throughout places (like China) today shows how the same language can change based upon region.

The formation of the English we speak today was not a deliberate effort to disguise our words from the Elizabethans, nor was their dialect brought about to confuse the Middle English. In turn, speakers of Middle English were not trying to conceal their writing from Old English (which was born of Anglo-Saxon settlers somewhere around the fourth or fifth century BCE). In fact, all throughout our language's history, it has borrowed and assimilated from a vast array of sources: Vikings, Normans, French, German -- heck, a majority of English words are almost directly from Latin or Greek!

In short: the development of a language bears a great deal more plasticity than you presume.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#39 Sep 27 2010 at 9:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
First of all let me say that I agree with most which Mikhalia have said in this thread but this:

Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
2) "word based language", as opposed to what? Other languages that don't have words? Statistically speaking, English is the second most difficult language to learn after Chinese. Japanese is a far easier language to learn than English.
that's just wrong, I'll be glad to get the source and have a talk with the persons which presents said statistics.

Being a foreign to both English and Japanese and after have studied and learned both (to an extent) I can easily say that Japanese learning curve is far more steeped than English, in fact I can tell you that English is so immersed in practically everything now days, that regardless the actual difficulty most people will have an easier time learning it than any other language.

Between Chinese and Japanese it's a tough call, Chinese has more Kanjis, Japanese has far more complex grammar and 3 writing systems, but either way it would be tough to say, with both the difficulty rest on learn how to write and read them, which can easily take years of dedicated study, from there you can attempt to learn the rest.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#40 Sep 27 2010 at 9:17 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
SudoNemesis wrote:
Cultures developed different languages to exclude outsiders


It's more that groups of people move about and that, over time, their different dialects develop into different languages than languages are used as secret codes for clandestine communication. While I'd be surprised if some languages didn't spring from a desire to reinforce xenophobia, the fact that we can track mutually unintelligible dialects throughout places (like China) today shows how the same language can change based upon region.

The formation of the English we speak today was not a deliberate effort to disguise our words from the Elizabethans, nor was their dialect brought about to confuse the Middle English. In turn, speakers of Middle English were not trying to conceal their writing from Old English (which was born of Anglo-Saxon settlers somewhere around the fourth or fifth century BCE). In fact, all throughout our language's history, it has borrowed and assimilated from a vast array of sources: Vikings, Normans, French, German -- heck, a majority of English words are almost directly from Latin or Greek!

In short: the development of a language bears a great deal more plasticity than you presume.

Well yes, but I was trying to boil it down to an easy to understand bite for someone who thinks not talking to someone who doesn't speak your language is racism. And the majority of English is based on old German, not Latin or Greek. West Germanic language and all that jazz.
#41 Sep 27 2010 at 9:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
172 posts
Well i actually can read/write hiragana, katakana, romanji and very very few kanji and speak japanese pretty well.

Problem is that the in-game translator is old school. They need to get google translator up and running with this game.

When you choose which language you want to play the game in, every text in-game should be auto-translated as best as they can translate it. (Sorta like how google translator can automatically translate every webpage you goto into your native language to the best of it's ability)

I'd have to tab out, copy and paste just to talk to Japanese people using hiragana and i've noticed a large percent of the Japanese population doesn't understand romanji. (Basically japanese words converted into greek alphabet. Aka, just typing domo arigatou ... they won't understand it.)

When i've visited Japan in RL, it's just like America guys, you'll find as many Japanese people who speak English as you do American people who speak Japanese. (Aka, not that many) I think a lot more people in America speak Spanish then Japanese people speak English. Which is odd cause English is taught about as much in Japanese schools as Spanish is in ours. It's probably due to national pride in their language and the fact that their own language is insanely complicated as it is, why learn another language and complicate your knowledge further. (There's like 2000+ kanji, chinese and japanese are insanely complicated languages to learn to read/write with) I've never met someone who wasn't raised Japanese who could actually understand every kanji.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 11:20pm by Nokturnal
#42 Sep 27 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Decent
Know it all's make me sick, and this thread is no more helpful to the game than half of all the crying in it.
#44 Sep 27 2010 at 11:36 PM Rating: Good
**
269 posts
Everytime I see a foreign language in any chat I immediately follow it with {Please use Auto-Translate Function}, its hilarious usually gets everyone lol'ing
____________________________
MUTED
#45 Sep 27 2010 at 11:50 PM Rating: Excellent
*
153 posts
Second verse, same as the first.
[img=178642]

____________________________
Awelowynt - 75 MNK - Asura (Retired)
Cadfael Awelowynt - Besaid
#46 Sep 28 2010 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
Awelowynt wrote:
Second verse, same as thae first.
Screenshot




Lol that comic brings back losts of memories rate up
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#47 Sep 28 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
*
145 posts
Well if Rosetta stone wasn't so **** expensive maybe discussions like this would never happen!!!!!
#48 Sep 28 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
36 posts
RyderDecree wrote:
Cyiode wrote:
They all hide in the hills and perform the healing exploit. lol j/k



"The Hills have Hai's"

ok just shoot me.....



oh god i think you broke my lungs, I couldn't breathe properly for like 5 minutes

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 4:31pm by Rawrfaceamg
#49 Sep 28 2010 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
94 posts
I'm not really sure why some of you guys got all **** hurt about him blacklisting Japanese players. Back when I played XI most of them didnt want anything to do with the NA players. Whats the difference?
#50 Sep 28 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
Imnotded wrote:
I'm not really sure why some of you guys got all **** hurt about him blacklisting Japanese players. Back when I played XI most of them didnt want anything to do with the NA players. Whats the difference?


Dare I say it lol. The majority of people who speak english are white. Anything a white person would say or do concerning another race is and tends to be racist.
We tend to grin and bear this taboo whilst other races can do and say what they want about the white without it ever being racist. So for him to say that without due cause even to us white people comes across as racist. Thats how we're brought up. Thats life
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#51 Sep 28 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
MediumOgre wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Pagansaint wrote:
Quote:
How dare those Japanese players speak in Japanese on a Japanese game made by a Japanese developer with servers in Japan?

The nerve of them!


Quite frankly they can speak what ever they want, where ever they want. But because "I choose" not to socialize with them or have their jibberish take up half my crappy little chat box


I think the reason you met with a negative response in the first place is not because you can't speak Japanese, but because you deem a language that you can't speak "gibberish." It makes you sound like more of a fool than the guy to whom you respond, whose post brings up a legitimate point about diversity and basic respect in a humuorous fashion. XD


Calling Japanese characters gibberish or moonrunes isn't disrespectful: it is absolutely hilarious. Gibberish is basically anything that can not be understood so to the OP Japanese is, in fact, gibberish. It does not carry the negative connotation that you associate with it.

My 2c


HA! Moonrunes! That's a new one! XD
____________________________

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)