Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Much Larger Update comingFollow

#1 Sep 27 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
182 posts
So ive heard alot of post's stating... "Nothing was fixed at launch" or to that matter. I was thinking.. Open Beta ended and less than a week later CE members had thier game. Well in order for that to happen they had to already have had these games packaged and ready to go. So that menas the game we got was a Pre open beta format with minor changes to the UI.. ie moving it client side. I beleive when the 30th comes and the "True" launch occurs were gonna se a much larger patch. Airships will be implemented.... quest lines will be at thier max... there are tons of outposts that have nothing in them. The "Golden Bazaar".... even mineshafts that have no mining points. There are even sections of the cities that cant be accessed. How many agree with this statement?
____________________________
#2 Sep 27 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
*
139 posts
I do.
#3 Sep 27 2010 at 6:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
22 posts
Nobody knows. Could be a week, could be a month, could be 6 months. All we know is that Square will add more content some time.
#4 Sep 27 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,902 posts
If this is true, SE will be the first company I have heard of to have such an expensive paid beta.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 8:47pm by ketrel
____________________________
DRG FAQ
#5 Sep 27 2010 at 6:47 PM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
Quote:
So ive heard alot of post's stating... "Nothing was fixed at launch" or to that matter. I was thinking.. Open Beta ended and less than a week later CE members had thier game. Well in order for that to happen they had to already have had these games packaged and ready to go. So that menas the game we got was a Pre open beta format with minor changes to the UI.. ie moving it client side. I beleive when the 30th comes and the "True" launch occurs were gonna se a much larger patch. Airships will be implemented.... quest lines will be at thier max... there are tons of outposts that have nothing in them. The "Golden Bazaar".... even mineshafts that have no mining points. There are even sections of the cities that cant be accessed. How many agree with this statement?


If you think that a week is a short enough amount of time to excuse not having any patches, why is two weeks an acceptable time frame?

Serious question.

To me, two weeks doesn't seem like enough time to get a working patch implemented for much of anything aside from small to medium hot-fix style stuff - it does not seem like enough time to iron out content based additions.
____________________________


#6 Sep 27 2010 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
23 posts
I really hope what you just said happens...I am waiting until the 30th to get it and when I download, I really hope that some of the flaws I have heard about are going to be fixed.
#7 Sep 27 2010 at 7:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
103 posts
What's the over/under on there still not being an actual AH? =P
____________________________
Life is to short to waste by being nice to everyone all the time. Have fun, **** a few people off, it's good for your blood pressure and peace of mind.
#8 Sep 27 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
199 posts
Not to be a party pooper but I highly doubt most (if any) of what you mentioned will be added for the regular game release because for one Square is most likely trying to brace the servers for the new influx of even more players which is probably a much higher priority (stable servers --> then new content) and plus 2 weeks isnt any better than 1.
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#9 Sep 27 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
What's the over/under on there still not being an actual AH? =P


I love this type of thing hence that is what i do for a living make odds.

Auction House implemented with 30th edition patch 100-1 i personally feel there is no chance for a AH in the near future unfortunately.

Over/Under days until Auction House is implemented 90 days
____________________________

#10 Sep 27 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Decent
22 posts
I'd totally take the over on that. They've already come out and stated they don't want to put one in the game, and if they continue to follow their business model from XI it will take a lot to change their minds.
____________________________
chewy?
#11 Sep 27 2010 at 11:49 PM Rating: Default
15 posts
ketrel wrote:
If this is true, SE will be the first company I have heard of to have such an expensive paid beta.


To be honest, I don't think SE considers CE headstart as release given that they've stated everywhere that the release is on the 30th, and I'd dare to guess that they will not charge any money for this week if we take into account how they have always synchronized the payments to the 1st of every new month (which is both a good and bad thing).

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
#12 Sep 28 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,902 posts
Where have they stated they *never* want to have an AH?
____________________________
DRG FAQ
#13 Sep 28 2010 at 12:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
494 posts
from what i heard SE had both versions packaged + organized 3 weeks or a month before release. The people buying the normal version will almost 100% get the exact same dvd we got. The rest of the updates came with the large patch after you installed. so basically don't expect an update
#14 Sep 28 2010 at 12:55 AM Rating: Good
**
696 posts
ketrel wrote:
If this is true, SE will be the first company I have heard of to have such an expensive paid beta.

Edited, Sep 27th 2010 8:47pm by ketrel


New to MMO's huh...
#15 Sep 28 2010 at 1:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
38 posts
I vaguely remember an interview where they had no intention of a hardware mouse either....
#16 Sep 28 2010 at 1:50 AM Rating: Default
10 posts
wizziea wrote:
ketrel wrote:
If this is true, SE will be the first company I have heard of to have such an expensive paid beta.


To be honest, I don't think SE considers CE headstart as release given that they've stated everywhere that the release is on the 30th, and I'd dare to guess that they will not charge any money for this week if we take into account how they have always synchronized the payments to the 1st of every new month (which is both a good and bad thing).

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

After I read this, I checked my account to see when my next billing cycle will be for FFXIV. Seems that its set to an estimated Oct 22,2010...so that means....no, we are gonna get charged. When the others begin on the 30th, theirs will be set to Oct 30th...30days of free play. We just started 8days sooner and get charged 8days sooner. FTL
#17 Sep 28 2010 at 2:02 AM Rating: Good
I was thinking about that today. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a maintenance + patch sometime in the next day or two in preparation for the SE crowd.

And no, it will not include an AH.
#18 Sep 28 2010 at 3:43 AM Rating: Good
*
138 posts
They've been wording the CE launch like they would Open Beta recently.

A few months back SE were speaking confidently like CE was just starting the real game a week early, but lately it's all been about, 'get in the game early before the full launch', like we were still in semi open beta but we could keep our characters, plus get free stuff in the box.

I agree with OP as I think the CE edition was manufactured way before they had time to change anything on the disk and complete a major patch.

Manufacture and distribution takes weeks, and there'd be no point implementing a full patch until full launch.

It seems sensible as a business model to let CE players get some nice collectable gear and test out the game further for a week to get in front, and have a patch ready for full launch - the launch which'll be reviewed all over the web in a few days.

Sneaky, but quite clever really. Get all the horrid server breakdowns and glitches sorted out with its dedicated player base who are never going to leave, then go for it with the wider audience a week later.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 5:43am by KuroGawatwo
#19 Sep 28 2010 at 6:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
123 posts
If you really think the version pressed to CE DVD is any different than the retail DVD I have some beach front property, etc. You can't uncompound the fail state that this game is in right now with just a week worth of tweaks and patches. I have no doubt that SE is going to fix these issues, but like every other game that was released in such a disarrayed state it's going to take 6 months to a year.

It would really make no sense to leave out tons of low-level content for the first week to let people level up past it and miss lore/story. I can commend SE on a fairly smooth launch on the server side of things -- but hardware has advanced to the point where you can build a very robust server farm for <1 mill. these days. It's just too bad that their client sucks so much ***.
____________________________
i5-750 @3.4ghz/4gb DDR-1600/HD5770

Hundah - EQ2:80sk(Befallen) *current
Hunda - FFXI:75pld(fairy->hades) *retired
Measure - EQ2:90trb,90def(Lucan D'Lere) *sold
#20 Sep 28 2010 at 6:34 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
53 posts
measureups wrote:
You can't uncompound the fail state that this game is in right now with just a week worth of tweaks and patches.



Please elaborate? Ive not noticed the "Failed state" since launch yeah there are some pet peeves but all in all i think this is one of the best launches i have been part of.
#21 Sep 28 2010 at 6:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
There absolutely will not be an AH with the update on the 30th.

The most reasonal fix I am realistically hoping for is a freaking search function so that I can see where my friends are and find them.
#22 Sep 28 2010 at 7:03 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
i want to believe, that they just gave the CE people a headstart using a beta-like build, and will patch in a bunch of stuff thursday, but I don't see it happening. This game was based on more bad ideas than good ones, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
____________________________


#23 Sep 28 2010 at 7:14 AM Rating: Decent
Fossilis wrote:
wizziea wrote:
ketrel wrote:
If this is true, SE will be the first company I have heard of to have such an expensive paid beta.


To be honest, I don't think SE considers CE headstart as release given that they've stated everywhere that the release is on the 30th, and I'd dare to guess that they will not charge any money for this week if we take into account how they have always synchronized the payments to the 1st of every new month (which is both a good and bad thing).

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

After I read this, I checked my account to see when my next billing cycle will be for FFXIV. Seems that its set to an estimated Oct 22,2010...so that means....no, we are gonna get charged. When the others begin on the 30th, theirs will be set to Oct 30th...30days of free play. We just started 8days sooner and get charged 8days sooner. FTL


You always had the choice of not creating your account until later, if you really were against playing now. It's not like your trial period started when you were at the register paying for the game.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#24 Sep 28 2010 at 7:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
jtully wrote:
How many wish they could agree with this statement?


ftfy
____________________________
Meowth!
#25 Sep 28 2010 at 7:25 AM Rating: Excellent
*
75 posts
I agree this feels like it's still in it's beta stage.

I feel SE may unlock some stuff when it launches for everyone. I don't expect any major changes just yet though.

I'm giving them until PS3 launch to fix these problems. A good handful of friends are waiting for the ps3 launch because they don't want to revamp their pcs just for this game. At this point I can't with a good conscience tell them it's worth upgrading for.
#26 Sep 28 2010 at 7:28 AM Rating: Good
7 posts
no matter when the game was packaged it has online updating, it could have been easily updated. Packaged date means nothing.
#27 Sep 28 2010 at 7:33 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
Why does the game box say 15 gig install and a 6 gig download? I have a feeling they have a fairly large patch ready to go at the "real" launch on Thursday. Us CE players had a chance to get our characters going and look around and get out of the noob areas...but SE didn't want to give up goods until everyone was on.

At least I'm hoping this is the plan. If not...hmm...they better hurry up or they will be losing people left and right.

Auction - no...but search function..I bet they will have something later this week.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#28 Sep 28 2010 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
46 posts
Simool wrote:
Why does the game box say 15 gig install and a 6 gig download? I have a feeling they have a fairly large patch ready to go at the "real" launch on Thursday. Us CE players had a chance to get our characters going and look around and get out of the noob areas...but SE didn't want to give up goods until everyone was on.
At least I'm hoping this is the plan. If not...hmm...they better hurry up or they will be losing people left and right.
Auction - no...but search function..I bet they will have something later this week.


I'm not a naysayer. Honestly, I don't really get all of the complaining people saying this is in a beta stage, blah blah. I'm really having fun with the title, and so is my wife.

However, the 15gigs +6gig on the box more likely means the patch size of a multitude of patches over the course of the game. If you think there is a 6 gig patch coming on Thursday, you are going to be very disappointed.
____________________________


#29 Sep 28 2010 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
216 posts
Quote:
However, the 15gigs +6gig on the box more likely means the patch size of a multitude of patches over the course of the game. If you think there is a 6 gig patch coming on Thursday, you are going to be very disappointed.


Except the current FFXIV program file folder is only just over 9GBs, not 15GBs.
EDIT: Though the box could mean 9+6 instead of 15+6.

With that being said, I had my fingers crossed that all these obvious exclusions of content (blocked off areas, chocobo stables that don't work, no random quests from NPC, etc.) were signs that the beta wasn't the full game. Then CE release happened and nothing changed. I'm very doubtful now.

If they come out with something big, excellent. If not, they have 30 days to prove to me this game is worth playing. I'm hoping to get above 20 and see what else the game has to offer. If I keep seeing the same crap I'm experiencing in these lower levels, I'll probably be quitting. I'm even doubtful about 20+ content. I know there are people out there who have hit 20 or higher, and yet there's been virtually no one speaking out about what lies beyond what beta offered us. That's sounding very grim to me.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 11:08am by TheLufia
#30 Sep 28 2010 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
46 posts
TheLufia wrote:
Quote:
However, the 15gigs +6gig on the box more likely means the patch size of a multitude of patches over the course of the game. If you think there is a 6 gig patch coming on Thursday, you are going to be very disappointed.


Except the current FFXIV program file folder is only just over 9GBs, not 15GBs.
EDIT: Though the box could mean 9+6 instead of 15+6.

With that being said, I had my fingers crossed that all these obvious exclusions of content (blocked off areas, chocobo stables that don't work, no random quests from NPC, etc.) were signs that the beta wasn't the full game. Then CE release happened and nothing changed. I'm very doubtful now.

If they come out with something big, excellent. If not, they have 30 days to prove to me this game is worth playing. I'm hoping to get above 20 and see what else the game has to offer. If I keep seeing the same crap I'm experiencing in these lower levels, I'll probably be quitting. I'm even doubtful about 20+ content. I know there are people out there who have hit 20 or higher, and yet there's been virtually no one speaking out about what lies beyond what beta offered us. That's sounding very grim to me.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 11:08am by TheLufia


Honestly, it is very naive of you to think we will have huge content updates within a month. Realistically, our first content update will likely be around December. It will probably include an AH (OMG hooray!), in addition to new leves and questlines for people around level 25-35.

In this next month, SE will likely try to get some smaller features that are being asked for up and running (search functions from chat, etc) in addition to refining the retainer system.

You signed up for a release mmo, after not thinking open beta had enough content. I have never played in an open beta where the release candidate had more content than the open beta. Never. WoW, Lotro, Warhammer, and now ffxiv. MMO's are just not released with that much content. Look at FFXI and WoW - there was practically nothing to do when the game came out, and if you compare that to now, they both have tremendous amounts of content. Same with Lotro and Warhammer.

You're expectations are too high for a release MMO. You might as well come back @ PS3 launch, because there will be a good amount of content then.
____________________________


#31 Sep 28 2010 at 10:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
32 posts
They need to focus on fixing the lag and bugs such as target engaged primarily... I can deal with AH coming in late but when frustrating programming issues and lag are the problems that start to tick me off, and they are the easiest to fix.
#32 Sep 28 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Hey, I've made a career out of slamming SE over dumb moves and being obtuse for 7 years now, but I don't think we're going to be waiting 6 months for chocos/npc quest givers etc.

I really do think we are still in an unofficial Beta. They may not call it that, they surely would never admit it (or no one would buy a "CE" from them again), but SE has a certain model for FF games. Even their first try at MMO (XI) was nothing like this on launch. There were bugs to be sure, and much tweaking and content addition for a bit, but it was a much more polished release. This release smacks of "what are they really going to accompish in the next 2 weeks, they won't even notice before we implement the missing stuff". See, while you can judge what they (SE) are up to by examining years of experiencing their model, you can also judge their reasoning the same way - SE underestimated their playerbase from day one of XI, and it looks like they haven't quite figured out how to stop doing that yet.

Almost every NPC in XI was "for" something. I highly doubt they just randomly plopped NPCs through the game, and will someday think up quests for them. That stuff is already done, just not implemented, and I'll bet my next paycheck on that. Make no mistake, we were in an ninja Beta this last week, but I'm not complaining. I got to play, I got in and out of game special items, and it wasn't some horrific experience. It was fun, and it will continue to be fun (except when trying to search friends or look through the 10th level of bazaar ****).
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#33 Sep 28 2010 at 10:54 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
What people dont realise is the BETA version you actually are using is usually a month old version of what they currently had ready.

They release the Beta to pretty much get everyone testing things and see how everything handles. (typical beta)

But what people dont realise is the version you are testing is not the released version. The fixes they tend to make on the beta tend to be again a test to make sure the fix works and stays working. They "might" make the change on the released version (usually they cant because its usually shipped). You have to remember that the stores have the game much earlier then release date and it still takes a few days to 1-2 weeks to get it made/shipped and in to the store.

Thats when the updates come in when you first install it. So SE already had the released version and beta version seperate. We do the same thing at work, we never give staff the "full version". We give them a cut back 3 month old. Fixes that we know are working we may or may not dish them out before the full release version.

And again because this is a MMO and its big business and also can be a big flop. SE need to know that people are prepared to come and join FF14. My guess is because I have already seen a queue system the other day (day 3 of my pre-order version) then they might have broken their "limit" so to speak. But ofcourse all this is my guess and from my experience.

The released version is usually much more stable and has full access to the available content compared to the beta. It's usually the alpha which is the version they alter/change for the release version.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#34 Sep 28 2010 at 11:01 AM Rating: Default
*
83 posts
Most of the stuff they need to fix IS hot-fix style stuff. The core functionality of the game is pretty flawless if you ask me. The servers work pretty flawlessly, the lag isn't too bad, and the game over all works pretty good. It just needs some UI polish and a few targeting things implimented.
#35 Sep 28 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Lonix wrote:
What people dont realise is the BETA version you actually are using is usually a month old version of what they currently had ready.


That excuse is really getting old. You guys used it when it was alpha. You used it when it was closed beta. You used it when it was open beta.

The ship has sailed a long time ago. Even if the CE users were given an old beta client release, that makes the development team even worse because they've spit in everyone's faces that used up their time for early access. Which they didn't, because early access means early acces -- to the actual retail game, and not a beta client.

MinosGraedus wrote:
Look at FFXI and WoW - there was practically nothing to do when the game came out, and if you compare that to now, they both have tremendous amounts of content. Same with Lotro and Warhammer.


Yeah no, nice try.

WoW had a fully developed leveling system. It had a co-existent set of dungeons for almost every level range (except for 2 5 man instances, added in less than 4 months) that weren't required at all to reach the endgame, but the gear obtained within was usually too enticing to go without trying to obtain for a lot of people. It also launched with 3 endgame instances used to gear up for raids (Upper Blackrock Spire, Scholomance, Stratholme) that were also used as mini-raids themselves by the majority of the launch populace. Then there were two endgame dungeons in which to fully start the experience, even if one was just a one boss encounter.

LotRO ALSO had a fully developed leveling system. It ALSO had a co-existent set of dungeons for almost every level range that weren't aimed for gear so much so as the storyline they were weaving in, yet wasn't required to reach the endgame. Endgame was barebones with the book hunting and the one dragon that was available to kill, but at least it was something.

I don't remember WAR much, as I only played a week (not into PvP) but I do remember there being a guided leveling system that co-existed along with the battleground leveling system they implemented. So nice try on applying the fail state of FFXIV to every other MMO. Even at its worst, FFXI was never this bad.

FFXIV fails even more due to how they could potentially handle the impending update on the 30th. If it's lackluster, the game fails because there's still nothing to do and nothing to aim towards while leveling. If this miracle patch *DOES* somehow mysteriously appear, then it also fails because they've screwed over the CE players as well as the potential players they probably lost due to leaving the CE 8 days in such a sorry state, thus ******** the company itself over due to lost revenue.

Honestly, the best thing they could do would be to get rid of Tanaka and his team. They won't, however, due to how Japan handles business promotions and internal affairs.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 1:19pm by StrijderVechter
#36 Sep 28 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
22 posts
While I agree to most of the "complaints and accusations", I still like the game (just not the fact that my computer fails to meet the minimum requirements).

fyi, my specs are:
Vista x64
AMD Phenom x3, 2.3 - 2.4GHz?
4GB Ram(no idea which)
nVIDIA GeFor~ 9500GS, 512mb
...is that all? 0.o


If I lower the graphics and make the game look like a poor version of XI, it runs fairly...half decent?..
but the Main Menu (and the rest of the UI) is still beyond slow..
#37 Sep 28 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
To any prospective player reading this, there are at least 10 happy players in the game for every frustrated nay sayer on these forums. I'm not saying that everything they say is false, but it's certainly far from the whole picture. As far as I'm concerned the game is great. It's the first MMO that I've been really excited about and enjoying thoroughly in over 5 years, and I feel like I will continue enjoying it for a long time to come, which hasn't happened in about the same amount of time.

The game has about the same amount of content as any release mmo, but in my opinion, the way things are set up, the potential to re-experience that content, and enjoy the re-experience, multiple times over is far greater than other mmos I've played.

It's a game that takes a little bit of thought to play, though it's still mindless enough to feel like a relaxing game instead of a second job. The graphics are far better than any other mmo I've ever seen. The combat is fun and enjoyable, with the potential for many different kinds of play styles with the same character. The crafting system is one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best, plus you can make gathering crafting materials a class in it's own, and enjoy doing it. I could go on, but really there are so many things going for this game, and most of the bugs are, to me, really quite minor, though some are definitely irritating if they hit you at the wrong time.

Regarding the OP, I think it's hard to say, but I have to repeat what someone else said before me... that being no other mmo has ever released a major content update so quickly after launch. So based on that I think our only hope is something that others have said, that being official release day is the 30th, so they are saving the meat and potatoes of their work the past month or so for the official release.

With that said, I can say that in 2 weeks of open beta, and 1 week of CE release, as a programmer with 14 years of experience, I have not seen a whole lot accomplished that would take more than 1 or 2 programmers working full time to do. So unless their programming team working on updates is only 1 or 2 people, then I think that lends some evidence to the fact that perhaps we are due for something special on release day.

At the end of the day there are good arguments for and against, so let's all just cross our fingers and hope (those of us who intend to stick with the game that is)

Cheers all!
#38 Sep 28 2010 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
46 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:

MinosGraedus wrote:
Look at FFXI and WoW - there was practically nothing to do when the game came out, and if you compare that to now, they both have tremendous amounts of content. Same with Lotro and Warhammer.

Yeah no, nice try.

WoW had a fully developed leveling system. It had a co-existent set of dungeons for almost every level range (except for 2 5 man instances, added in less than 4 months) that weren't required at all to reach the endgame, but the gear obtained within was usually too enticing to go without trying to obtain for a lot of people. It also launched with 3 endgame instances used to gear up for raids (Upper Blackrock Spire, Scholomance, Stratholme) that were also used as mini-raids themselves by the majority of the launch populace. Then there were two endgame dungeons in which to fully start the experience, even if one was just a one boss encounter.

LotRO ALSO had a fully developed leveling system. It ALSO had a co-existent set of dungeons for almost every level range that weren't aimed for gear so much so as the storyline they were weaving in, yet wasn't required to reach the endgame. Endgame was barebones with the book hunting and the one dragon that was available to kill, but at least it was something.

I don't remember WAR much, as I only played a week (not into PvP) but I do remember there being a guided leveling system that co-existed along with the battleground leveling system they implemented. So nice try on applying the fail state of FFXIV to every other MMO. Even at its worst, FFXI was never this bad.

FFXIV fails even more due to how they could potentially handle the impending update on the 30th. If it's lackluster, the game fails because there's still nothing to do and nothing to aim towards while leveling. If this miracle patch *DOES* somehow mysteriously appear, then it also fails because they've screwed over the CE players as well as the potential players they probably lost due to leaving the CE 8 days in such a sorry state, thus ******** the company itself over due to lost revenue.

Honestly, the best thing they could do would be to get rid of Tanaka and his team. They won't, however, due to how Japan handles business promotions and internal affairs.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 1:19pm by StrijderVechter


A fully developed leveling system? Do you mean questing? We have those in the form of leves. Also, FFXIV allows you to level in the EXACT same way as FFXI. Grinding on mobs is no different than grinding through fetch quests. If you though FFXIV was going give you quests to lead you along in order to level up ala WoW, that's your own fault.

Also, speaking about launch - WoW, the lag was terribly bad, most people could physically not play for atleast 2-3 weeks (this time was later credited to your account however, so you didnt pay for this time). The lag was so terrible, that it would take minutes to kill a starting mob, another few minutes to loot it, followed by a disconnect & server crash, and a queue to log back in. Also MC and Ony were not in the game at release. UBRS was the only 'end game' thing to do at launch.

If you really think the launch of FFXIV is a fail, then that's your ignorant opinion. There are plenty of other mmo's for you to play.
____________________________


#39 Sep 28 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
216 posts
Quote:
Honestly, it is very naive of you to think we will have huge content updates within a month. Realistically, our first content update will likely be around December. It will probably include an AH (OMG hooray!), in addition to new leves and questlines for people around level 25-35.

In this next month, SE will likely try to get some smaller features that are being asked for up and running (search functions from chat, etc) in addition to refining the retainer system.

You signed up for a release mmo, after not thinking open beta had enough content. I have never played in an open beta where the release candidate had more content than the open beta. Never. WoW, Lotro, Warhammer, and now ffxiv. MMO's are just not released with that much content. Look at FFXI and WoW - there was practically nothing to do when the game came out, and if you compare that to now, they both have tremendous amounts of content. Same with Lotro and Warhammer.

You're expectations are too high for a release MMO. You might as well come back @ PS3 launch, because there will be a good amount of content then.


I said I was crossing my fingers that release would add more things. I have never experienced a beta that has changed after release either, but I have also never experienced a beta where I saw so many blatantly excluded features, which is why I had my fingers crossed. I know it's very naive to expect a large content patch, which is why I said I'm doubtful several times.

Also, I think it's very naive of you to expect an AH system when SE has literally said THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY WANT.

Quote:
A fully developed leveling system? Do you mean questing? We have those in the form of leves.


Cut the bull. I don't know what all content FFXI had at release, but I can say that FFXI had BCNMs, story missions that had bosses (starting at 25), random quests from NPCs, etc. FFXIV so far has crappy by-the-numbers quests, that are capped out at 8 per 36 hours.

Yeah, maybe WoW's content was lacking around the level 50 mark, but they had the low level content there. They had tons of quests and dungeons spread out between levels for you to participate in. So far, all we've seen from FFXIV is levequests and more levequests. Where's the BCNMs? Where's the story quests that aren't just cutscenes? Where's actual content?

I've experienced releases like Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan, and Champions online. All three of those MMOs had complaints that there was a lack of content, but guess what? All three of those games at least had LOW LEVEL content, be it dungeons, quests, and what not. It wasn't until the later levels in those games that you actually ran out of things to do and were forced to grind your way through. FFXIV starts with no content and is apparently not getting any better later on. Did it really take them this many years to develop a game with nothing but a few quests at 10 level intervals?
#40 Sep 28 2010 at 4:44 PM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
Cut the bull. I don't know what all content FFXI had at release, but I can say that FFXI had BCNMs, story missions that had bosses (starting at 25), random quests from NPCs, etc. FFXIV so far has crappy by-the-numbers quests, that are capped out at 8 per 36 hours.


XI did not have BCNM at release. XIV has story missions also, have you even leveled up enough to see if there's a boss battle? Random quests in xi are, surprise, slightly less/more interesting than leves and didn't even give experience. FFXIV has 72(about) quests in game already, not counting leves.

It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You say xiv is lacking content, but I doubt you haven't even successfully ventured into dungeons yet. Have you done your first class quest yet? Have many nation quests(missions) have you done yet?

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 7:02pm by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#41 Sep 28 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
216 posts
Quote:
It's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. You say xiv is lacking content, but I doubt you haven't even successfully ventured into dungeons yet. Have you done your first class quest yet? Have many nation quests(missions) have you done yet?


Have you?

I honestly couldn't care less what FFXI had or didn't have at release. There's two big differences here with FFXIV compared to FFXI.

1.) FFXI wasn't released in the NA until considerable updates had been done to it. FFXIV is being released fresh. I wonder how many of you would have even stuck with FFXI had it been released to english players in its release state.
2.) WoW wasn't released. Yeah yeah, WoW had issues at release, but they did have considerably more content than FFXIV is presenting us. Since WoW, there have been tons of MMOs trying to copy its success, many of which have failed, but all at least had more content than FFXIV is giving us.

Apparently your answer is dungeons, which look like nothing more than more mob grinding, class quest (oh boy, I wait who knows how many levels for ONE quest!), and main line quests. Considering there are plenty of people ahead of me that are in their 20s and no one has said anything about "OMG we get to fight a malboro!" or something to that extent, like I said in my first post, I'm doubtful. Why am I having to wait this long to experience any of this to begin with?

It seems to me like you're just as "naive" as the other poster considers me to be for expecting more content at release.
#42 Sep 28 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I honestly couldn't care less what FFXI had or didn't have at release. [...] I wonder how many of you would have even stuck with FFXI had it been released to english players in its release state.

Apparently you do.

Quote:
Apparently your answer is dungeons, which look like nothing more than more mob grinding, class quest (oh boy, I wait who knows how many levels for ONE quest!), and main line quests.

At least 3 class quests for each class have already been implemented, actually. Furthermore, how many classes did wow have at release? It sure as **** wasn't 18. I personally think it's hilarious that you find WoW quests acceptable as content, yet leves aren't? WoW quests are comparable to solo grinding on mobs in xiv, they aren't even good enough to be compared to leves.

Quote:
Have you?

I'm playing as much as I possibly can. It doesn't look like I'm going to run out of things to do anytime soon, nor does it look like I'm going to be bored anytime soon.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 7:24pm by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#43 Sep 28 2010 at 5:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
123 posts
EQ2 was released with over 1,000 quests.
____________________________
i5-750 @3.4ghz/4gb DDR-1600/HD5770

Hundah - EQ2:80sk(Befallen) *current
Hunda - FFXI:75pld(fairy->hades) *retired
Measure - EQ2:90trb,90def(Lucan D'Lere) *sold
#44 Sep 28 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
I do agree that there is probably a large patch coming with the Standard Edition release, however what this patch contains remains the question. It could be a bunch of bugfixes, and no content at all. It could be nothing but a gigantic pool of content. It could just be server fixes. It could just be retainer and/or chat add ons.

Of course, it could also not happen at all. I'll still play regardless so it's kind of a mute point, though.
#45 Sep 28 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
123 posts
BRizzl3 wrote:
I do agree that there is probably a large patch coming with the Standard Edition release, however what this patch contains remains the question. It could be a bunch of bugfixes, and no content at all. It could be nothing but a gigantic pool of content. It could just be server fixes. It could just be retainer and/or chat add ons.

Of course, it could also not happen at all. I'll still play regardless so it's kind of a mute point, though.


If there is content in the world-wide release patch it WON'T be low-level content. It will likely be mid-high level content - if any. It would make absolutely 0 sense for SE to withhold low-level content for CE players and then dump a whole bunch of stuff for the newbies to do while all the people who paid good money to play first have to reroll to enjoy that content.

Either way, I might pick the game up sometime after next year. It's clear that this game is going to take a lot of work to become enjoyable to me.
____________________________
i5-750 @3.4ghz/4gb DDR-1600/HD5770

Hundah - EQ2:80sk(Befallen) *current
Hunda - FFXI:75pld(fairy->hades) *retired
Measure - EQ2:90trb,90def(Lucan D'Lere) *sold
#46 Sep 28 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
MinosGraedus wrote:
A fully developed leveling system? Do you mean questing? We have those in the form of leves. Also, FFXIV allows you to level in the EXACT same way as FFXI. Grinding on mobs is no different than grinding through fetch quests. If you though FFXIV was going give you quests to lead you along in order to level up ala WoW, that's your own fault.


If you can't understand the difference between infinite grinding in this day and age, and the allure of doing quests (which should be varied and different, as to break the monotony), then... well... I can't help you there. The developers heralded GLs as the main allure of the game, then stated they were only to be useful for casual play, and then changed their minds later on when they want to give you bonuses for doing them with more frequent and higher skill gains. So yes, forgive nearly everyone that thought the game would end up being that way because that's the way it was shaping up to be once alpha launched.

MinosGraedus wrote:
Also, speaking about launch - WoW, the lag was terribly bad, most people could physically not play for atleast 2-3 weeks (this time was later credited to your account however, so you didnt pay for this time). The lag was so terrible, that it would take minutes to kill a starting mob, another few minutes to loot it, followed by a disconnect & server crash, and a queue to log back in. Also MC and Ony were not in the game at release. UBRS was the only 'end game' thing to do at launch.


I'm only going to say this once and maybe, just maybe, it'll get through your head: Every single **** MMO has problems with server lag and latency upon launch. However, server lag and latency are not core gameplay flaws.

Again, you're incorrect. Both raids were available at the launch of the game; where you got this information that they weren't available is beyond me. Dropping of both tiers, fire resistance issues for Ragnaros, and Onyxia's balancing, both were available at launch. Not in a patch. Not several months later. At launch.

MinosGraedus wrote:
If you really think the launch of FFXIV is a fail, then that's your ignorant opinion. There are plenty of other mmo's for you to play.


Your immaturity is ridiculously appalling. The fact that I typed something with my ID attached to it, in a thread, would infer that it's my opinion, doesn't it?

It is interesting that you are correct: there are other MMOs that are out there to play. And with the exception of one they all launched in a much, much better shape than FFXIV is.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 9:34pm by StrijderVechter
#47 Sep 28 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
**
723 posts
Having dealt with Blizzard in a variety of games for so many years, I've developed enough patience to deal with SE. Perhaps you guys are familiar with the term "Soon", coined by Blizzard to mean the following:

Quote:
Soon: Copyright 2004-2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."


There is also "Very soon" which is:

Quote:
Another common term implemented by Blizzard often misleading players into excitement for future content. "Very Soon" is guaranteed to arrive between now and the end of time with a higher chance of arriving on the "now" half of the time table. Although this means closer to now than "soon" there is no guarantee that you will live long enough to see the content finally release.

Now<--------------Very Soon--------Soon--------------->End of Time


Source: Soon Wiki
#48 Sep 28 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
751 posts
Most of this thread is so ludicrous as to not warrent a comment but i feel compelled to say one thing.

If you liked question in WoW can I recommend the following to enhance your playtime in FFXIV.

1) Go and kill a particular mob, get a drop - (for example moko grass).
2) Now you know that the particular mob drops moko grass - set yourself a target of 20 moko grass
3) In your mind, imagine that you have a quest to collect 20 moko grass.
4) Go and grind mobs - collect 20 moko grass.
5) No imagine that the next "quest" in the WoW style quest chain is to make 10 Moko Thread
6) Switch jobs to Weaver and craft away.
7) Now for the good bit - your quest reward. Go to an NPC, sell your moko thread for cash - bang there is your reward.

YOu can do this with pretty much every drop item, with every collected item from mining or botany etc.

Quests in WoW were exactly like this so if you miss them taht much - i have just provided you a way to quest the way you love and with the freedom to have millions and millions of quests rather than the ones that Blizzard added to the game for you.

Now, I fully expect you are going to love FFXIV!
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#49 Sep 28 2010 at 10:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Personally, i'm not expecting some major cavalcade of updates this week. If we do get anything major it'll be next week at the earliest, simply because that will be the point when enough of the servers are settled enough for content. In addition, I don't think regular launch is going to be as dramatic as it could have been, since about 65% of the feedback on this title thus far has been negative, all over the web.

Three things that'd be fantastic if they came in an update at/after launch...search (for all applicable uses), regular quests and crafting adjusted back to normal after today's patch.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)