Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Am I exploiting...I craft nakedFollow

#1 Sep 28 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
I craft naked to avoid durability loss on my gear. Is this exploiting or just a clever use of in game tactics?
____________________________

#2 Sep 28 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
I wasn't aware crafting caused durability loss on anything other than your tools, but you're only hurting yourself by missing out on the bonus crafting stats your gear can offer.
#3 Sep 28 2010 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
539 posts
TraumaFox wrote:
I wasn't aware crafting caused durability loss on anything other than your tools, but you're only hurting yourself by missing out on the bonus crafting stats your gear can offer.


I've experience gear damage while synthing, and it wasn't my needle :( However, I too would rather have the benefits from crafting stats on gear than worry about gear damage. (Though, I can repair everything I wear for crafting so who am I to assume this is a good idea for everyone.)
____________________________


#4 Sep 28 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
300 posts
Not all gear benefits crafting though. So it's best to take it off. It's a smart move despite what they are saying.

Edit: It does damage your gear when you craft. Even if you saw that it didn't once or twice.

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 2:34pm by Slapaho
#5 Sep 28 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
77 posts
I remove everything that doesn't benefit crafting to eliminate damage. It's a pretty smart tactic as far as I am concerned.
____________________________
FFXIV Sterling Cooper - Besaid

FFXI Cheebone - Unicorn
#6 Sep 28 2010 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
My gear was broken when harvesting (botany) my under shirt that is. I learned my lesson
#7 Sep 28 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Default
**
291 posts
I would think that crafting naked is not an exploit. There is a balance to be had between bonuses to crafting vs damage to gear. Although I'd completely understand if they actually made crafting create a loss of HP if you were crafting naked.
____________________________

#8 Sep 28 2010 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
NayliaMR wrote:
I would think that crafting naked is not an exploit. There is a balance to be had between bonuses to crafting vs damage to gear. Although I'd completely understand if they actually made crafting create a loss of HP if you were crafting naked.


I tried welding naked once... (well I had underwear on) Needless to say it cost me a few hit points and my GF at the time enjoyed laughing at the blisters I aquired....

Morale of the story? Even if you think it's an emergency, doing a quick tack weld on a creaky item in the middle of the night is not enough of one to forget your leathers... or clothing in general.


OH! In game, nope haven't tried it.

____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#9 Sep 28 2010 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
793 posts
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.

Basically, he's doing something to avoid an in-game mechanic without resorting to hacking or glitching per say. Sort of like the conjurers did-- SE made it so that you could skill-up quickly via the curing method, and did not correct it even after 3 rounds of beta.

Not saying that those who "exploited" the system were right, but just that they didn't use illegitimate means, which SE could have easily fixed.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#10 Sep 28 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Default
***
1,949 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
I craft naked to avoid durability loss on my gear. Is this exploiting or just a clever use of in game tactics?

People have already said why it's a bad idea -- you lose on the +crafting +mag. crafting and +control provided by the gear-- you do have a town/crafting set...? -- I will add that as a crafter, you really shouldn't be worried about repairs.

Bone rings? They cost me the same thing to repair or to craft new ones (bone chip). Every time I make a new one, I get way more goldsmith XP, physical XP, I can sell the old broken ones for 180g and I have a chance to HQ

Hempen shirt? NPC asks you about 8k gil to fix. A weaver can fix it for 2 hempen fent. Hempen fent is basically worthless. You can make 12 for 1800 gil if you buy the cloth. Get moko grass killing rats, turn into yarn, cloth and then fent and you just got yourself enough mats to fix your shirt and pants for the next 2 weeks for free.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#11 Sep 28 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,869 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.


I'm shocked and disappointed it took this long for a comment to get the OP's point.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#12 Sep 28 2010 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
190 posts
I used to craft with no gear on, until I noticed I was having to repair my undergarments way too frequently. So I put on all my other gear and the frequency dropped.

It seemed like, with no other gear on, the undergarments took huge durability hits while crafting. Throwing all my other gear on spread it out a bit more evenly amongst all the gear I was wearing. I don't know for sure if this is what's truly occurring, but it kinda made sense so I just rolled with it.

Gear with crafting stats starts to become really beneficial after the early ranks anyways. Though, It's pretty cheap to fix up your underwear. If you don't mind repairing often it might be a good idea.
#13 Sep 28 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Crafting is a real Class in this game, thus lots of gear as beneficial crafting stats. So just like fighting naked on Gladiator isn't exploiting, neither is crafting naked. That doesn't mean it's a great idea.

I would expect that once you are levle 20 or so and this game has been out for a little while, you will pretty much have full sets of gear with beneficial crafting stats and won't want ot craft nekkid.
#14 Sep 28 2010 at 5:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.

Basically, he's doing something to avoid an in-game mechanic without resorting to hacking or glitching per say. Sort of like the conjurers did-- SE made it so that you could skill-up quickly via the curing method, and did not correct it even after 3 rounds of beta.

Not saying that those who "exploited" the system were right, but just that they didn't use illegitimate means, which SE could have easily fixed.


They did use illegitimate means. It's clearly stated in the games rules/policies that exploiting any game system is a no-no. You can find it on the Lodestone site.
#15 Sep 28 2010 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
398 posts
Docent42 wrote:
[quote=UncleRuckusForLife]
Bone rings? They cost me the same thing to repair or to craft new ones (bone chip). Every time I make a new one, I get way more goldsmith XP, physical XP, I can sell the old broken ones for 180g and I have a chance to HQ


Bone ring: Worthless item + 4x Wind Shards. Wind shards are easily worth 120gil each, so repairing it is the way to go.


I think regarding the Conjurer exploit, this is just being smart (unless you're not wearing any +control/etc. items). An exploit would be like- If you put 8 moko grass on the create menu and it bugged out and gave you 50k experience each synth- THAT would be an exploit.
#16 Sep 28 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
NayliaMR wrote:
I would think that crafting naked is not an exploit. There is a balance to be had between bonuses to crafting vs damage to gear. Although I'd completely understand if they actually made crafting create a loss of HP if you were crafting naked.


I tried welding naked once... (well I had underwear on) Needless to say it cost me a few hit points and my GF at the time enjoyed laughing at the blisters I aquired....

Morale of the story? Even if you think it's an emergency, doing a quick tack weld on a creaky item in the middle of the night is not enough of one to forget your leathers... or clothing in general.


OH! In game, nope haven't tried it.



Cooking anything involving grease or oil while naked is equally tragic. I speak from experience.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#17 Sep 28 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
an exploit or a problem with programing that gave me 50k exp for a synth that SE put in the game?
#18 Sep 28 2010 at 6:24 PM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Anza wrote:
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.


I'm shocked and disappointed it took this long for a comment to get the OP's point.


It's most likely because the comparison isn't valid. There's obvious detriments to crafting without your gear. What detriments were there in gaining class level 29 with a few leves? There were no directly related detriments.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#19 Sep 28 2010 at 6:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.
For some strange reason I read that as "conjugal scandal", and an equally odd reason brought Lady Gaga to my mind...

I let my brain fly and the next thing I was thinking was "What now? are we getting meat armors?"

Human psyche could be odd at times.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#20 Sep 28 2010 at 6:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
186 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
I craft naked to avoid durability loss on my gear. Is this exploiting or just a clever use of in game tactics?


Yes.

Sqeenix wrote:

Regarding the crafting without armor Issue
We have confirmed an issue where players remove their armor while they craft to avoid damage. The issue is currently being addressed.

Also we would like to remind that repeating this method intentionally is considered as fraudulent behavior. With players who have abused this method, an additional investigation shall be made and their account may receive penalty including account suspension in case we determine it to be malignant. The investigation is expected to take a while until the completion. For those of you who have happened to abuse this method without knowing it to be fraudulent, please report yourself through GM Call. By reporting yourself in, the amount of damage that should have occured will be corrected by GM and the penalty to your account will be exempted.

For details on account penalty and prohibited activities, please refer to the following pages.
Account Penalty Policy
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56910
Prohibited Activities in Final Fantasy XIV
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56909

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

*This announcement has been fraudulently created on Sep. 28, 2010 at around 4:50 (PDT).
#21 Sep 28 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,211 posts
@ LordAshal

Wow... SE is running their game like a dictatorship. That sure sounds like fun >.>
____________________________
I be Ranz... the Melee White Mage. Arrrr.(As seen on Phoenix)
The friendliest Dynamis linkshell on Phoenix
My FFXI AH Info
#22 Sep 28 2010 at 10:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
nonameoflevi wrote:
an exploit or a problem with programing that gave me 50k exp for a synth that SE put in the game?


It would be an exploit if you repeatedly used it after finding out about it in order to level up. Otherwise it's just a bug. And yes problems with their programming giving you too much experience can still lead to your account getting banned, this is because you are something known as a human being. Human beings use what is known as cognitive thought, using this you can decide whether an action you are performing is a bad choice or a good choice. Thus you should know that cheating is bad. To enforce the fact that cheating is bad and unfair(in case your cognitive thought fails and you decide that the bad choice is good), SE has made rules and policies for their game, which are found on the Lodestone website. Interestingly enough these rules and policies contain a section that speaks about cheating and exploiting. Wow, amazing I know.

Edited, Sep 29th 2010 12:05am by BRizzl3
#23 Sep 28 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
*
227 posts
LordAshal wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
I craft naked to avoid durability loss on my gear. Is this exploiting or just a clever use of in game tactics?


Yes.

Sqeenix wrote:

Regarding the crafting without armor Issue
We have confirmed an issue where players remove their armor while they craft to avoid damage. The issue is currently being addressed.

Also we would like to remind that repeating this method intentionally is considered as fraudulent behavior. With players who have abused this method, an additional investigation shall be made and their account may receive penalty including account suspension in case we determine it to be malignant. The investigation is expected to take a while until the completion. For those of you who have happened to abuse this method without knowing it to be fraudulent, please report yourself through GM Call. By reporting yourself in, the amount of damage that should have occured will be corrected by GM and the penalty to your account will be exempted.

For details on account penalty and prohibited activities, please refer to the following pages.
Account Penalty Policy
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56910
Prohibited Activities in Final Fantasy XIV
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56909

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

*This announcement has been fraudulently created on Sep. 28, 2010 at around 4:50 (PDT).


Cut and pasted, insert and replace "conjurer exploit" with "crafting exploit".

/poke

(still funny though if people believe it)

Edited, Sep 28th 2010 11:12pm by Evilhobbit
____________________________
Astral Descent Homepage
#24 Sep 28 2010 at 11:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Exploiting, no; turning me on... we'll see.



Edited, Sep 29th 2010 1:05am by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25 Sep 28 2010 at 11:55 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the conjurer scandal.

Basically, he's doing something to avoid an in-game mechanic without resorting to hacking or glitching per say. Sort of like the conjurers did-- SE made it so that you could skill-up quickly via the curing method, and did not correct it even after 3 rounds of beta.

Not saying that those who "exploited" the system were right, but just that they didn't use illegitimate means, which SE could have easily fixed.


You have clearly never participated in a bet have you? Not every bug gets caught and if it's not reported the developers probably won't catch it. Likewise even if it was caught it was probably not reported by the tester because he could use it to his advantage upon release. It's a sad fact that many people use beta as a chance to figure out the exploits and tricks early.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)