I know I'm gonna get a storm of people mad at me for saying this but I really want this game to succeed. There are many things that are unacceptable for launch that are present in this game. I don't want to hear the FFXI had nothing in the start argument because Square has had 10 years to learn from their past game. These criticisms need to be voiced or else we will never see this game go in the direction we want. I've seen too many failed MMO launches to know that SE needs to act on these major issues fast before people jump ship.
1. The UI lag is completely unacceptable. The fact that it takes at least 10 seconds to sell 1 item to an NPC or move it to your retainer is horrid. It gets even worse for crafting when choosing materials. Things that should be accomplished in less than a second are taking up way too much time.
2. The battle lag is terrible. I can deal with no autoattack as I was a ranger in FFXI, im used to mashing a button to attack, but a game thats 10 years older has a smoother battle response system. Yes there were times in FFXI where there would be a second delay until your weaponskill fired off but most of the time it was almost instant. In FFXIV there is considerable battle lag that makes me scratch my head. I thought the point of the stamina system was so that you had to manage your stamina. Right now theres a decent chance that your moves will attack after a few seconds delay or the animation will not even occur at all. It really makes you feel detached from the experience as a whole.
3. The GuildLeve system is poorly implemented. As it stands right now it seems almost pointless to group up for guildleves. This is your once chance in the game to use Guardian's Favor and get a good amount of rank experience. However if you group up most of the mobs are killed in 2-3 shots anyway and you are usually left with a very small amount of rank ups. A good example is 3 friends of mine from FFXI who read from SE that guildleves were intended to be shared. After a few days they were confused as to why they would get worse rank ups in guildleves than by just grinding. I told them to try soloing them and they did and immediately saw a bigger amount of rankups. Whats worse is they are all the same rehashed leve everytime, just killing x amount of mobs and you win. There seems to be no strategy involved at all.
4. 1 Questline is laziness at its best. Really SE? After all this time you couldn't come up with at least low level quests? Its extremely frustrating because to me there isn't much to do for fun right now. I try crafting once in awhile but I don't see the thrill in it at all. The minigame is very repetitive and lags just as bad as many other things in the game. I WANT TO ADVENTURE but having no quests just kills this aspect of the game.
5. Community/Economy system is just a mess right now. I still only have 2 pieces of upgraded armor and I probably overpaid for them by a ton but I finally saw them and caved in. I would like to see an AH but it wouldn't kill me if they didnt have one. If you've played Guild Wars before you will know that there was no AH and most people congregated in one area and shouted for goods or if they were selling goods. It actually didn't work that bad but I don't see it working in FFXIV with the amount of lag there is currently. The retainer system doesn't help you find items any faster. So I wanna buy a certain crafting material, well looks like im **** outta luck, maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery after cycling through 100's of retainers with tons of lag.
I'll keep my fingers crossed because I really want this game to succeed, but I don't know how long I can continue paying for what seems to be a Beta.